Fitness and stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitness and stuff

Gonna be doing hell and back in a few months (12km obstacle course http://www.hellandback.ie/) so may as well track what I do here for it.
    I am in no way fit first off, bit overweight, so this will be a good challenge.

I can't run very much yet as I have very sore shins when I try it.
    Bought exercise mat, foam roller, running shoes, pullup bar so far.
    I go to the gym a bit and cycle to work and back every day (10 km total)

This week:

Monday:
    9km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 50:00.
    45 pushups
    Few arms weights machines (no idea what anything is called). I am not really focusing on weights yet, more cardio. I do reps of 12, 3 times per machine. I don't know what weights are in the machines but I have them at 12/12.

Tuesday:
    10km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 39:50.
    Couple weights machines

Wednesday:
    10km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 50:00.
    Couple weights machines
    Jog 6km (I stress jog, took 46 minutes)
    52 pushups.

Will just be doing random similar stuff, will see how it goes. Not gonna do much weights really for a couple months, just bodyweight stuff like pushups and pullups, maybe squats, lunges and sit ups.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-03-15, 00:43.

Good luck.

Have you had any sessions with a personal trainer in your gym? If not, reckon it'd be worth it, they'd have a much better idea of the type of programme you should be doing to prepare best for the hell and back.
    Profit before people.

Comment

Thanks. Haven't asked but good idea, will do. Especially as they have all done it before. Judging from pictures up on the wall!

Comment

I've never done a Hell&Back type race, but from what I've seen I'd say that pull-ups are very important.
        I'd started including them 3 times per week from here. Keep the reps low and concentrate on getting volume done overall rather than constantly going to failure.

Comment

Good luck with this Tar.

Just on the shin pain, its shin splints. I had it myself for a couple of months when I started back training (about 4 or 5 years ago now). This was after a couple of years sitting on my ass doing nothing. Essentially your legs aren't conditioned to take the impact of running just yet. Try jogging on grass rather than the road, its much more forgiving. That said even really fit people can develop shin splints.

The way I overcame the pain was by regularly stretching my calves and Achilles. 2 or 3 times daily. I'd also do single leg calf raises on a step, again 2 or 3 times daily. Do a set til you feel the burn. Repeat 3-5 times for each side. Also foam rolling will help. Mash your calves and shins as best you can. If your feet get sore, I find rolling a tennis ball or hurling ball underneath quite beneficial. Lastly get a good pair of trainers, it will help no end. You might find that something with a little heel is ideal or a thin, flat barefoot shoe. It depends on your stride. You'd probably get better advice from someone who does running/triathlons.

Comment

Ordered 16kg kettlebell and resistance band this morning.

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
            Good luck with this Tar.

Just on the shin pain, its shin splints. I had it myself for a couple of months when I started back training (about 4 or 5 years ago now). This was after a couple of years sitting on my ass doing nothing. Essentially your legs aren't conditioned to take the impact of running just yet. Try jogging on grass rather than the road, its much more forgiving. That said even really fit people can develop shin splints.

The way I overcame the pain was by regularly stretching my calves and Achilles. 2 or 3 times daily. I'd also do single leg calf raises on a step, again 2 or 3 times daily. Do a set til you feel the burn. Repeat 3-5 times for each side. Also foam rolling will help. Mash your calves and shins as best you can. If your feet get sore, I find rolling a tennis ball or hurling ball underneath quite beneficial. Lastly get a good pair of trainers, it will help no end. You might find that something with a little heel is ideal or a thin, flat barefoot shoe. It depends on your stride. You'd probably get better advice from someone who does running/triathlons.
            Thanks, will try the exercises out, I tried this before so maybe I should do it regularly.
            Wasn't really sure what exercises to do for sore shins.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I have flat feed and had/have osgood-schlatters disease, jsut to make running even harder for me haha. Bought some trainers, and debuted them last night, got gait analysis and they are much better. Definitely make a huge difference to the way you run.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
            I've never done a Hell&Back type race, but from what I've seen I'd say that pull-ups are very important.
            I'd started including them 3 times per week from here. Keep the reps low and concentrate on getting volume done overall rather than constantly going to failure.
            Just waiting on the bar to arrive and will get stuck in, I'd say I'm useless at them. Sounds like a good plan to me. I want volume with everything, I don't want to jsut burn out and be sore for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Really frustrating, I walk easily 20km a week for work and back and have been active with that and football for the last couple of years, now that I've upped the tempo it's hitting me while walking some of the time. I'll be in bits walking to football then sitting for a minute to change into boots and completely ok by the time the game starts.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                Really frustrating, I walk easily 20km a week for work and back and have been active with that and football for the last couple of years, now that I've upped the tempo it's hitting me while walking some of the time. I'll be in bits walking to football then sitting for a minute to change into boots and completely ok by the time the game starts.
                Yeah I find it very frustrating, stops me running and I have to job slowly, not even out of breath. Walking very fast does it to me even. And it fades and comes back so fast.

Thursday
                9.2km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 50:00.

Fairly fucked today after the 1200 calories exercise last night, also fecking hungry!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                  Just waiting on the bar to arrive and will get stuck in, I'd say I'm useless at them. Sounds like a good plan to me. I want volume with everything, I don't want to jsut burn out and be sore for a few days.
                  When the bar comes, test your max pull ups the first day, then we can base training volume off that number.

Comment

When the bar comes, test your max pull ups the first day, then we can base training volume off that number.
                    Ok this i s tough, I did a couple of chin ups, couldn't do pullups. My wrists are sore from it.
                    I think I should start with negative chinups or something. (and lose weight)

Monday
                    8.5km on crosstrainer, resistance 12, 50:00.
                    53 pushups
                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 09-03-15, 23:07.

Comment

Ok this i s tough, I did a couple of chin ups, couldn't do pullups. My wrists are sore from it.
                      How many chin ups?
                      If you can do 3 or 4, then no need for negatives imo

Comment

yeah that is what I could do, albeit poor form. Will work on pullups so. it wasn't even close haha.

Comment

You could grab a couple of resistance band to assist your pull ups for a few weeks. Though some guys don't like them as there is a slight bounce/catapult effect.

Comment

I've ordered the black one on here http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Pre...esistance+band

Might give it a try with it so cheers. I don't mind if there is a bounce I'll be getting rid of it as soon as I'm able and I believe I really need the help.

Comment

I've ordered the black one on here http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Pre...esistance+band

Might give it a try with it so cheers. I don't mind if there is a bounce I'll be getting rid of it as soon as I'm able and I believe I really need the help.
                              Grab the next grade down also. You might find it easier to progress to the next band and then to full bodyweight. Besides that, they are multi-function and really useful for a variety of exercises.

Comment

Here's a micro-program for pull-ups;

Pull-up progression

The program: 5 sets of pull-ups, 3 times a week, (simple right )
                                • Sets 1-3 to be regular pullups (follow rep scheme below)
                                • Sets 4-5 to be band assisted pull ups (more reps, but stop before failure)

The three numbers represent the reps for sets 1,2 & 3.
                                The reps for the banded sets are undefined, will depend on the band and your weight. Go with what feels comfortable, don't go to failure, but try to maintains and increase reps over time.

Comment

Awesome thank you. Will try to get me doing them as fast as possible. I get a lot of abs DOMS from pushups yet, just to add to the experience of trying pullups last night.

Comment

Forgot to include, don't do them on consecutive days. Keep 1 day rest between them.
                                    Mon/Wed/Fri works well, but similar invving Sat or Sun is fine too

Comment

Last night my ex showed me some yoga, I am terrible. I find it quite a workout tbh. She is only a beginner but 100x better than me, fairly sore today. Probably because she is skinny and flexible and I am fat and not. The brand of yoga she does seems quite intensive, I think it seems like a great idea for me to start doing it.

Today I did 30 mins on the crosstrainer and that's it. I'm fairly run down and everywhere hurts. Might try some pull up practice later as my resistance band has arrived.

Comment

Another day another crosstraining. Have a guest staying with me for a week so haven't been able to do much in the evenings.

50 mins crosstrainer, 8km

Comment

Ran 8km tonight, probably shouldnt have started around midnight. Wrecked now, was a slow pace but was quite lethargic.

Comment

Ran 8.2k today and 8.5k on crosstrainer, not so bad. Have rounded it off with a walk and some foam rolling/attempted yoga.
                                            Will try some pull ups before bed if I can get off this chair (probably not)

Ankes were quite sore running, not used to the strain, powered through that and will see how they are tomorrow

Comment

Did a core strength class today, felt a bit sick after it haha. Then 2km on crosstrainer.

Comment

Ankes were quite sore running, not used to the strain, powered through that and will see how they are tomorrow
                                                Have a look online for 'chi running' - don't need to buy any stuff/course/book to figure out the basics, but its great for 'pain-free' running, or more accurately pain-free 'after-running'.

I've been doing it three years or so. Previously I constantly had pains and aches, often times would give-in and cancel a run. Some kind soul got me the book (about 10 euro), and I've never (honestly) had a pain since. I run 5 miles at a time, sometimes 4 or 5 times a week, then sometimes miss a month, and I go staight back to 5 miles or a bit more, all the time with no pain, ache or after effect.

Comment

Awesome thanks, will luck into it, get very annoyed when I want to do this stuff and my body is complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                    Have a look online for 'chi running' - don't need to buy any stuff/course/book to figure out the basics, but its great for 'pain-free' running, or more accurately pain-free 'after-running'.

I've been doing it three years or so. Previously I constantly had pains and aches, often times would give-in and cancel a run. Some kind soul got me the book (about 10 euro), and I've never (honestly) had a pain since. I run 5 miles at a time, sometimes 4 or 5 times a week, then sometimes miss a month, and I go staight back to 5 miles or a bit more, all the time with no pain, ache or after effect.
                                                    The leaning forward alone will probably revolutionize my runs, thank you.

Comment

Yesterday did 9.2k on crosstrainer 50 min, couldn't run due to pain from previous days core workout, every step was pain.

Comment

The leaning forward alone will probably revolutionize my runs, thank you.
                                                        Most of my pains/stiffness used to be in my legs, usually the evening of a run or the morning after. For me the most important bit is picking my legs up from my thighs (my wording), rather than banging down/pushing off the ground. From memory, the first day I tried it properly, I had slight ache in my hip/thigh but nothing at all since.

Also think concepts like controlling hand swinging, remembering to breathe etc are important, especially when starting out. Glgl

Comment

Walked about 10-15k today

Now I ran 8.5k, 7.5k was a jog with lead legs struggling to go on haha, I was nearly falling asleep I was so tired during it. For the last kilometre I incorporated a bit of the running form from chi running/good running posture and it really worked, felt I was driving forward with a lot of power. Ran that in about 4 mins but could have went faster, wasn't going all out. Considering that was my personal best anyway and how fucked I am, pretty happy with that.
                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-03-15, 00:29.

Comment

Ran my first ever 10k tonight, not bad since a week ago I'd never ran more than 5k. Slow going but trying to get distance first. Still my shins/calves/ankles holding me back yet so they need to get used to running.

Did 8k on crosstrainer earlier. Signed up for my first 5k race today too, a charity run for the Irish Kidney Association.

Comment

How are the pull-ups going?

Comment

Thanks for reminding me as I really need to start doing them, been a lazy wanker. I do a couple now and again with the resistance band but nothing much, it makes it so much easier as I'm 80kg without much of it being muscle (was 95kg last year). Gonna go do some sets now with it.

edit: all the pullups sop far have been with the band, I cant do them without.
                                                                A lot of the time after pushups I find my body too sore to do them on those recovery days, not sure it's healthy to. But that's just me giving myself excuses.
                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-03-15, 01:12.

Comment

edit: all the pullups sop far have been with the band, I cant do them without.
                                                                  That's fine. Run through that entire micro-program with the band. Then do it again with a smaller band if necessary. It takes ages to add reps to pull ups.

Comment

Yesterday I did 8.5k on the crosstrainer and day one of the pullup program (with band)

Comment

Yesterday another 8.5k on crosstrainer and a few hours snowboarding which was fairly good workout!

Comment

My wrists got hurt snowboarding so I've laid off witht he pullups, pushups, fail. Still rather sore.

Ran 10km last night. Today my mother paid a surprise visit so exercise went out the window, unless the 20k steps around pennies and forever21 counts...

Comment

Did 8.6k on crosstrainer yesterday. Will be starting pullups today hopefully, fecking wrists.
                                                                          Ankle was getting random shooting pain that lasts a second all yesterday evening, might be nerve issue with running. Will try a run tomorrow maybe. Down another 1.5kg recently, should help a little as I condition my legs/ankles.

Comment

8.6km on cross trainer today, gonna try yoga and pullups later on.

Will start weights soon when I lose weight or when I coplete hell and back.

This is pretty awesome:
                                                                            Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Today:

8.5k on crosstrainer
                                                                              8.3k running - from the first step my legs were lead, so that was hard going.
                                                                              foam rolling afterwards
                                                                              few band assisted pullups.
                                                                              /collapse

Comment

#40
                                                                                Did 8k on crosstrainer today, about 5000 calories of cardio done so far this week, am wrecked.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Did feck all over the 4 day weekend, ran 10k sunday night but hurt my knee, so I'm back to doing feck all again.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Was back at the gym thursday, friday and today.
                                                                                    9.5k, 8.5k and 5.5k on crosstrainer. Probably fit enough now to run after a week, reminder to just go slow as it's not worth speeding up and knocking yourself out for a week at a time.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      10k run tonight, took it very easy as leg is clearly still not recovered.

Have been seriously slacking off on my pullups again, fml, I enver think about them

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Fitness smitness
                                                                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Have been seriously slacking off on my pullups again, fml, I enver think about them
                                                                                          Do you have the pull-up bar permanently set up in the house?
                                                                                          One method that might work is rather than setting aside a time for 3-5 sets of pullups in one block. You can spread them out over the day. Everytime you pass the pull bar do one set with the band. Over the day, you get your 3-5 sets done, and you do this one your 3 days.

Wake up, do a set on the way to the bathroom.
                                                                                          Get ready for work, do a set on your way out the door.
                                                                                          Get home do a set.
                                                                                          Waiting for the kettle to boil for your tea, do a set.
                                                                                          Before bed do a set.

Each set takes maybe 10 seconds, so its no great time out of your routine. The workload isn't intense enough to build up a sweat, but over time reps will increase.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Thanks that's great advice, I don't have it set up and usually, the only door it fits on is the bathroom door. Maybe I'll just leave it there and incorporate my toilet goings into it. Wanna pee, that'll be a set.

Yesterday 6k crosstrainer
                                                                                            Today 6.5k crosstrainer

Gonna set up pull up bar now.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Thanks that's great advice, I don't have it set up and usually, the only door it fits on is the bathroom door. Maybe I'll just leave it there and incorporate my toilet goings into it. Wanna pee, that'll be a set.
                                                                                              That'd be perfect tbh. Everytime you go bathroom get it a quick set.
                                                                                              I wanted to set mine up on the bathroom but don't think it'll fit.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                The bathroom is actually class, I've done a good few today passing by because I basically cant avoid it.

Did 8.5k on crosstrainer today.
                                                                                                Ran 3k tonight and leg gave in, walked another 4k.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Monday - thursday
                                                                                                  8k, 8.5k, 8.6k, 9k on crosstrainer. Still can't run with knee.
                                                                                                  Am getting fitter going t o the toilet still.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Yesterday 9km, today 8.75 km on xtrainer. Still can't run, very annoying. Have started doing some chinups as opposed to pullups for a while

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Exactly 1 year since I started eating better, and 11 months since I started going to the gym. 47 pounds lighter. Getting weights routine from a gym staff member tomorrow. (Never done weights before so probably can do fuck all)

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Exactly 1 year since I started eating better, and 11 months since I started going to the gym. 47 pounds lighter. Getting weights routine from a gym staff member tomorrow. (Never done weights before so probably can do fuck all)
                                                                                                        47 pounds is great well done.
                                                                                                        With weights getting your technique right is more important than what you can lift.
                                                                                                        Dont be put off because you see some beast of a man lifting 10 times what you can.
                                                                                                        Hes probably been training for years.
                                                                                                        Get your technique right and the weight you can lift will rise good luck.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Advice - http://www.exrx.net/ & www.stronglifts.com

You really only need to learn a couple of exercises that work on the main muscle groups for the first 8/10 months of training tbh!

It's worth asking the gym staff member to teach you these and focus on them mostly.
                                                                                                          Squats - legs/arse/core
                                                                                                          Deadlifts - shoulders/back
                                                                                                          Bench Press - chest/arms
                                                                                                          Military/Overhead Press - Shoulders/arms

In my own experience (several years ago mind!) you usually get given a "12 minutes on the bike, 12 mins cross trainer, lift some dumb bells up, try all these other weights machines" in the main from a gym trainer. These are the low-risk low-reward exercises. They don't want to be mucking around giving you the direction that would really benefit you because, honestly, it would take up a fair bit more of their time and effort.

Of course there will be many exceptions to this, but be wary of the 12/15 different exercise per session 'plans'.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                            Advice - http://www.exrx.net/ & www.stronglifts.com

You really only need to learn a couple of exercises that work on the main muscle groups for the first 8/10 months of training tbh!

It's worth asking the gym staff member to teach you these and focus on them mostly.
                                                                                                            Squats - legs/arse/core
                                                                                                            Deadlifts - shoulders/back
                                                                                                            Bench Press - chest/arms
                                                                                                            Military/Overhead Press - Shoulders/arms

In my own experience (several years ago mind!) you usually get given a "12 minutes on the bike, 12 mins cross trainer, lift some dumb bells up, try all these other weights machines" in the main from a gym trainer. These are the low-risk low-reward exercises. They don't want to be mucking around giving you the direction that would really benefit you because, honestly, it would take up a fair bit more of their time and effort.

Of course there will be many exceptions to this, but be wary of the 12/15 different exercise per session 'plans'.
                                                                                                            Think its moved forward tbh although probably depends on quality of the gym/trainers. Can only speak for Westwood but trainers in there are all about compound lift heavy programs with only 5/6 different exercises per session.
                                                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Sounds good thanks, anything with pictures of what the things are is great. I've wondered what 5x5 was, So 5x5 sets of the same weight at an exercise basically? Apart from I should do 1 in each set of deadlift? Those are great links cheers.

I thought I'd do teh likes of curls and a few other lifts with those little weights too. Like I see people hold the weights at their sides and then lift them outwards and upwards, and some people shrugging with weights and so on. Or lying on their back and putting them in the air, my technical mumbo jumbo needs work.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-07-15, 15:15.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Stronglifts App is perfect. Shows you the weights you should use. Has a link to the video of each exercise too. Has a tracker so you can watch your progress.

It was so good that I paid the extra €10er after a while to get the premium stuff (totally not needed) just to throw some cash at them.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Will have a look at that app cool.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    47 pounds lighter.
                                                                                                                    Amazing progress, Well done.

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                    +1 for EXRX.net
                                                                                                                    SL has its flaws, but by and large its one of the better starting points.

There are versions of 5x5 that are basically Stronglifts with some added assistance lifts (curls, shrugs, etc). something to thin about down the line once you have the big 6 lifts down.

In my own experience (several years ago mind!) you usually get given a "12 minutes on the bike, 12 mins cross trainer, lift some dumb bells up, try all these other weights machines" in the main from a gym trainer.
                                                                                                                    Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                    Think its moved forward tbh although probably depends on quality of the gym/trainers. Can only speak for Westwood but trainers in there are all about compound lift heavy programs with only 5/6 different exercises per session.
                                                                                                                    from what I hear, you still get both.
                                                                                                                    The difference between a Gym induction for a "fitness instructor", and a proper program was a legit Personal Trainer.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Basically I know my program now so just want to be shown the technique, so I should be ok, he doesn't have to think too much. I want to do curls shrugs as well, will probably try and throw them in and see how much the work load is. Current weight 163lb (from 210), must check back in and see how this changes, there is fat to be lost and muscle to be gained.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        I let him do what he thought, he gave me a lot of exercises like you guessed above, then in 3-6 weeks I'll start on the 5x5, I like this. It was fecking hard going today because I'm pretty weak in a lot of areas but I enjoy it.

So what i'm doing for the moment (these only range from 4-9kg til I get better form and I'll up it soon):

shoulder press 4x15
                                                                                                                        lat pull down 4x15
                                                                                                                        bent over single arm row 4x15 x2
                                                                                                                        chest press 4x15
                                                                                                                        prone row 4x15
                                                                                                                        prone fly 4x15
                                                                                                                        walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                                                                                                        bicep curls 21s 3x15
                                                                                                                        Tricep extensions 3x15

Then some other non weight work:
                                                                                                                        double leg raises 2 x 25
                                                                                                                        plank 2 x 30 secs
                                                                                                                        ab taps 2 x 30 secs
                                                                                                                        cross overs 2 x 30 secs
                                                                                                                        back extensions 2 x 25

Finally cool down stretches.

I'll try that 3 times a week and keep my cardio 2 times a week.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 02-07-15, 14:49.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X