Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    And you got a Haughey back too
    he's been there quietly for 20 years+

Apparently 'nothing like the father'. Which tends to be said both in an admiring and a regretful manner.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
      More regret, I'd imagine.
      Definitely amongst the older folk around here anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if they had framed photos of CJH up beside the pope and Elvis in the living room.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
        Works for me. What skin are you using?
        Am using imagination dark blue
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Definitely amongst the older folk around here anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if they had framed photos of CJH up beside the pope and Elvis in the living room.

Comment

I think cruising by haugheys private island off Kerry (which he got the ESB to electrify just for him) was the moment I said you know what, fair balls Charlie.
            If you’re going to be corrupt go large, Berties corruption was pathetic in comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Am using imagination dark blue
              As am I. Are you talking about the text link (known as breadcrumbs) under the black post reply button? I can't see anything that doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                As am I. Are you talking about the text link (known as breadcrumbs) under the black post reply button? I can't see anything that doesn't work.
                Ahh, I cleared cache and browsing data and it fixed it.

Comment

Worth sticking with till the end
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ahh, I cleared cache and browsing data and it fixed it.
                    Speaking of breadcrumbs and clearing the cache.

I wasn’t so bad in January but Febs payday can’t come quick enough. In my defence, all 20 of those horsie tips came from a reliable source, although my previous practice of just picking my favourite jockey was much more fruitful.

I don’t want to dip into my saving as they are there for mostly nostalgic reasons so from now until payday in only betting every other day. If anyone can get me the latest info from ‘reliable source’ or ‘bloke that I know’ for tomorrows racing I’d be very grateful.

Comment

The Brits losing the marbles due to Brexit would be delicious.
                      I could make a case for the British Museum keeping them. But I love the British Museum, and it's great to be able to see them there.

I was in Athens 2 weeks ago and the Acropolis Museum (where they would be housed) has so much stuff in it that, while I'm not saying the Marbles wouldn't enhance it, they add a lot more to the British Museum than they would to the Acropolis Museum.

My favourite sight of the trip was the Temple of Poseidon in Cape Sounion (90 mins South of Athens) at sunset overlooking the Aegean Sea. My phone doesn't have a great camera but...

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Time for another round of TSLA puts imo.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                              How much would you spend on schooling in Dublin per kid per year - including pre and after school care?
                              Not much call for pre-school care? Most schools start at 8.30 which would generally give a parent time to drop off and get to work.

After, who knows. Depends what model you go for. We pay €12 p/hr for 2 primary school kids to be picked up from school and marginally supervised for a few hours.

Comment

Time for another round of TSLA puts imo.

took profit. I will concede the stock is trading irrationally and based on retail investor speculation. I maintain my long term convictions

Comment

Comment

Comment

Talking about this last night with my wife. We can't think of anything other than the hell that is play centres to do with a 5 year old and a toddler in this shitty weather.

Would welcome ideas.

Comment

Talking about this last night with my wife. We can't think of anything other than the hell that is play centres to do with a 5 year old and a toddler in this shitty weather.

Would welcome ideas.
                                        Wellies , wrap up well, fly a kite. No kids will die of the cold in this country . I like to show them the museum etc and a stroll around Grafton st.

Comment

Gave mine about 400 invoices to sort by month. Im having a coffee watching an episode of Fargo. Slave Labour FTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                            Gave mine about 400 invoices to sort by month. Im having a coffee watching an episode of Fargo. Slave Labour FTW.
                                            Sick 400 invoices brag bro
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

So about €700 a month on that?

And what about school holidays when not travelling the vineyards of France. I guess there's holiday camps etc for them to go to - would they be expensive? Don't suppose there's places for kids to go during non-summer breaks?
                                              Loads of holiday camps in pretty much every activity. Our kids usually do maybe 3 weeks of them per summer - Lets Go is a good all-purpose/sports one. Artzone has always got good reviews too and the FAI soccer camps. The girls generally get a Guide\Brownie camp somewhere too.
                                              Those camps are generally in the 100-150 range. Which is cheaper than childminding.

Might be more interesting with the eldest spending her first secondary school summer off this year - 3 months. Although she no longer requires 'minding'.
                                              Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 20-02-20, 09:02.

Comment

I will also frequently kick them out of the house and say ' go over to the park'. St Annes (massive, lots to do) is literally 60 seconds away.

Kids today don't seem to spend a quarter as much time running in and out of their friends houses as we did, sadly.

Comment

800-1000. Still means 20k of salary after tax.

You'll pay a lot more for creches but yours are probably out of that age now.

Comment

In the 90's I used to have to put together the TV stands that the old CRT TV's came with, they were like poorly designed ikea self assembly furniture and would take me 10 - 15 minutes to put one together and there would be a dozen different designs to do.
                                                    From the age of about 5 my eldest became expert in wielding a power screwdriver and getting all the pieces together in half the time I could. Later on it turns out he's a good way along the dyslexia spectrum but always got top marks in technical drawing and was able to go on and study architecture and now thirty years later he's still killing it fitting odd shapes into tight spaces for a living.
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

And what about school holidays when not travelling the vineyards of France. I guess there's holiday camps etc for them to go to - would they be expensive? Don't suppose there's places for kids to go during non-summer breaks?
                                                      Out of curiosity, would you not put them in the French school in Dublin to ensure they maintain their French rather than lose it?

Comment

Would welcome ideas.
                                                        have you been to imaginosity? We went a few times when in Dublin, and it was such a creative place for the kids who loved it. can't imagine it's gone downhill much

Comment

Kids today don't seem to spend a quarter as much time running in and out of their friends houses as we did, sadly.
                                                          Still the case in my gaf. Bose QC35s keep me sane.

Comment

Would welcome ideas.
                                                            Swimming is always a good option. I’m planning a trip to the dead zoo with little Miss V. Wrap up warm and go to a forest. We love Donadea near us. Clonfert pet farm is another fun option. They have an indoor play area as well as lots to see if ye can time it when there is no rain!
                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Really like the way they come up with cool activities for kids here.
                                                              Like the eldest is off to a full-time Go (Chinese chess) Camp next week as its winter break in school, while the youngest will be taken care of in a local city winter break camp for smaller kids.
                                                              Just seems so fucking cool to be able to do something like that Go School.
                                                              But I've genuinely no idea what kids do in Dublin - would you generally find loads of things to keep them occupied?
                                                              I'd feel I was failing them a bit if they ended up having to spend all those school breaks at home mainly because of what they have now.
                                                              I guess everything would cost more, but don't really know what *everything* might include.

There's a few bits around for kids that are locally funded but they leave alot to be desired. I was on placement a few years ago in a centre that had a free Easter camp for kids in the locality. It would be recognised as a disadvantaged area but as you'd expect the resources were limited.
                                                              I was left to "run" it with little structure so it effectively turned into a 3 hour basketball training camp. There's a programme in some schools the first week after the summer hols run by the teachers, herself did it last year, it's free I believe.

TBF to Waterford, there appears to be quite a lot of watersports along with basketball being run especially well in the area.
                                                              If you're into conventional sport, you'll be fine, it's very accessible but if you're interested in science, computing or more niche sports then I think access can be quite tough.

Comment

Not much call for pre-school care? Most schools start at 8.30 which would generally give a parent time to drop off and get to work.

After, who knows. Depends what model you go for. We pay €12 p/hr for 2 primary school kids to be picked up from school and marginally supervised for a few hours.
                                                                Our Aimee gets picked up by the school bus at 7.25 and she's in school for 8am. Starts at 8.25. That's all free.

After school, it's 80c per hour from 2.30-5.30pm. Same price for holidays and summer holidays, and it opens from 7am-5.30pm.

Pretty reasonable in Malta!

Comment

Comment

lol we're all old

Comment

Comment

Comment

Perhaps. Its just very expensive! €1000 per kid per month maybe with the pre- after-school care? And they don't even give them lunch.

Ah we're still stuck between Grenoble and Dublin.
                                                                          that seems high tbh. it's 4300 a year per child (very cheap compared to what we pay in the uk).

can't remember what the after school costs were but no way does it get to 1k per child per year. closer to 1k per month for both.

re summer and holidays, we used to put ours in the UCD multi sports camp, which they loved. lots of games and fun all day long. Also swimming in that superb pool of theirs
                                                                          Last edited by shrapnel; 20-02-20, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                            lol we're all old
                                                                            Don't I know it, I no longer have to remind myself I'm getting old, my body informs me all by itself.

Additionally, it's not just the physical reminder; I didn't want to steal your thunder at the time but by coincidence I followed your lead on Feb 1st so perhaps aging emotionally too.

So what you're saying is the eldest may have to ditch her Qi Gong classes?! Its not just the availability, its more that because they stay in the school after class finishes, that they bring in all these voluntary activities into the school, so you don't have to spend an hour bringing them to each individual class. Meh, maybe nothing that a positive mental attitude can't sort.
                                                                            Not if you by-pass your prestigious school for the sunny South-East

SPOILER
                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 20-02-20, 11:24.

Comment

Stay in France Hitch. Better quality of living + better weather. The only down side to France is there is no Guinness, and you don't seem like a Guinness drinker.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                Stay in France Hitch. Better quality of living + better weather. The only down side to France is The French there is no Guinness, and you don't seem like a Guinness drinker.
                                                                                Glaring omission.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                  Swimming is always a good option. I’m planning a trip to the dead zoo with little Miss V. Wrap up warm and go to a forest. We love Donadea near us. Clonfert pet farm is another fun option. They have an indoor play area as well as lots to see if ye can time it when there is no rain!
                                                                                  Wife has a dog grooming salon in Clonfert so we have our kids' birthday parties there and regularly go if the sun is out. Great place and the family that run it are really nice and are constantly trying to add more features. Think I spotted Solkjaer there once looking like he was going through hell at a kids birthday party. Have still to venture to Donadea forest but it's on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                    Don't I know it, I no longer have to remind myself I'm getting old, my body informs me all by itself.

Additionally, it's not just the physical reminder; I didn't want to steal your thunder at the time but by coincidence I followed your lead on Feb 1st so perhaps aging emotionally too.
                                                                                    Hey that's great, congrats m8!

Comment

Not if you by-pass your prestigious school for the sunny South-East

SPOILER
                                                                                      You can great wedding photos in the trees at 17 in faithlegg I'd say. Very scenic spot. You should be used to them too
                                                                                      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        Glaring omission.
                                                                                        I think it's just Parisians tbf. And of course they assume we are English.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                                                                          Wife has a dog grooming salon in Clonfert
                                                                                          Wat

We're so back. A salon for dogs. WTFF.

Comment

Its mad really how well the continentals have sorted raising kids. Just the range of things that they can do.
                                                                                            You can pretty much do anything here too, certainly in Dublin.

We restrict the activities somewhat to prevent ourselves becoming a glorified taxi service. Although pretty much have sold kids on the idea they can cycle/DART/bus wherever they want (wife not so keen on this and keeps quoting relevant pieces of legislation at me). Very determined to raise them to sort out their own shit!

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                                  You can great wedding photos in the trees at 17 in faithlegg I'd say. Very scenic spot. You should be used to them too
                                                                                                  No tree on the course that I haven't visited at this stage.

The 17th is only frustrating because I've lost balls on the fairway, if we were picking locations on where I lost golf balls, I'd have a few pics to take in the carpark too.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                    have you been to imaginosity? We went a few times when in Dublin, and it was such a creative place for the kids who loved it. can't imagine it's gone downhill much
                                                                                                    I think you'd need to be some kind of zen master to work there.
                                                                                                    The staff there just seem to be constantly putting things back in place only for it to be undone seconds later
                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Imaginosity

Last time I was there I was waiting on some ‘DAD’ to get out of the fecking racing car so my kids could have a go. I gave him the Kermit the frog face but was ignored. He was sitting in the fecking thing for ages . I took 3 year old away . I came back 30 mins later and the Dad was still there hogging it. I was about to sigh loudly in his general direction but then he spoke. Okay, So I moved swiftly away thanking the jaysus I said nothing. Turns out he was some kind of special needs type, either that or I’m being harsh on the fellow. Either way , Fk you Special needs man/boy , get out of the fking car. (I didn’t say that but I just wanted to get it off my chest ) .

Comment

Looks like I just got caught out on a phishing scam. I got a genuine looking email looking for me to tender for a project. There was a Onedrive link within it with the 'tender docs' among a whole lot more normal looking info.

I clicked the link and got brought to a Onedrive login page. Kinda looked a bit weird tbh but I put my login details into it and got a chrome pop up saying it was a scam and to change my password immediately. Sure enough the url is dodgy.

I changed my microsoft password. Is that all I need to do? I use the same password for everything.

Don't want to change passwords on everything if not required.

Comment

Any account where you use that password should be changed.
                                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

No tree on the course that I haven't visited at this stage.

The 17th is only frustrating because I've lost balls on the fairway, if we were picking locations on where I lost golf balls, I'd have a few pics to take in the carpark too.
                                                                                                            Don't worry, you're not the first to put a couple in that carpark. I'm actually wary of leaving my car there. I got a new driver a couple of weeks ago and was all eager to smash it down the first. 2 nice pro v's later and I'm back to the safety of an iron
                                                                                                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Amazed it lasted so long, and retained the star for so long.

Comment

On the topic of emails and passwords. Does anyone have a means of contacting Google over a compromised email?

They dont have an advertised Gmail contact and between changing phone numbers a few years ago and my previous recovery email address no longer existing, I can't recover it.

I actually wouldn't mind that much but Amazon won't let me change the email on my account so I cant log into Kindle.

I can understand why they don't offer a service for it but I figure there must be a means.

Comment

Forgot to add, the url was a .ru

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    Our Aimee gets picked up by the school bus at 7.25 and she's in school for 8am. Starts at 8.25. That's all free.

After school, it's 80c per hour from 2.30-5.30pm. Same price for holidays and summer holidays, and it opens from 7am-5.30pm.

Pretty reasonable in Malta!
                                                                                                                    Sweet. Has RDIII been feverishly PMing you about the tax brackets there?
                                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                      Sweet. Has RDIII been feverishly PMing you about the tax brackets there?
                                                                                                                      The offset is being called a Malteaser. Not sure you can put a price on that.

Comment

There are some other things you should do as well Lazare.
                                                                                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X