Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a sudden urge to go out for a walk. Gonna check on the snowman. Make sure he's warm.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
      I personally feel most memories we believe we remember are either from photographs or anecdotes that were told to us.

Unless its fairly traumatic, we aint remembering shit before 7 or 8.
      ...My youngest memory is getting lost in Court town when I was 6 or 7... My mam thought I was with my nan, nan thought I was with my mam and I went wandering on my own... Sat on a wall crying, until a man and woman came over to me and looked after me, bought me ice cream and popcorn then brought me to a Garda station... I was given an option (wtf) of staying with the couple or going with the guard on his motorbike to go home...I of course chose to go with the couple... They brought me to the mobile site we stayed in, and in to J5 which was our mobile... I looked inside, didn't recognize it and said it wasn't our place... They asked me what my parents looked like, I told them my mam has long blonde hair (she has short brown hair), and my dad has a mustache and a beard (he was completely clean shaved!!!)...
      ...I actually don't remember how everything worked itself out, all I know is I ended up in a computer game shop with my two brothers, unaware my parents were filing a missing persons report...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        It might be! Can only properly remember one person I went to school with across the entire 13 years. Can't remember a single person I did my degree or Masters with. Had no memory of that 4-8 years of age school even happening. Have just no memory of past events but do seem to have a great different type of memory.
        That all seems a bit crazy to me. Even allowing for the fact that I'm aware my memory for facts and details is better than most. I can remember most of my class in primary school. Including the birthdays of a few people close to my birthday. Massive number of people in secondary school and college. (I'm early 30s if proximity is a factor)

I have a whole mental catalogue of memories with my grandad ho died when I was nine. And it's not recall from photos, as there are none. Just random days I spent with him doing granddad stuff, or the brand of cigerettes he smoked. Like one day I went off to the scrap yard with him when he was getting rid of a copper HWU and some pipes. He got a few quid and we called into a pub. I can remember exactly what pub it was, Mullingar House, the only time I've been there. He had a Guinness, and he scooped some of the head in his fingers and stirred into onto my coke so it looked like a guinness. Nobody else knew about that day to say to me "remeber hte time..."

Like I'll read 100 papers on a research area, seemingly forget them all in their entirety, and then sit down and write something smart that links them very well. Same with the lectures which are a bit of a bizarre unplanned freeride but normally interesting for the listener. Maybe it's a different type of memory that is strong on making connections between things while the 'remember things' memory is very weak. Not sure though, it might just be all those years of excessive drinking and there's no alternative memory upside
        I'd consider that more to be the result of understand the topic rather than remembering all the details.
        It's like when I watch high level black belts pulling off elaborate flowing sequences, they aren't remembering moves they learned years ago. They understand the moves fundamentally so that the unplanned freestyle makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          Got a sudden urge to go out for a walk. Gonna check on the snowman. Make sure he's warm.
          He gone.

Beast took him west probably.

Comment

My earliest memory was when I was 3 and we were moving to Drimnagh. I remember wailing when I thought we were actually moving into the removal van . Bastards teasing me. After that a vague recollection of a priest and my father holding me down and throwing water over me shouting The power of Christ compels thee.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
              I find I'm less productive at home.
              Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              +1, although three screaming demons on the premises half the day may well have something to do with this.
              I alternate.
              Usually what happens is I feel I've no done enough meaning I don't switch off at the right time.
              My missus still hasn't really grasped that working from involves actual work.
              I'm about 90% sure she has and just likes winding me up by getting me to do shit 'as I'm at home all day'
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                I alternate.
                Usually what happens is I feel I've no done enough meaning I don't switch off at the right time.
                My missus still hasn't really grasped that working from involves actual work.
                I'm about 90% sure she has and just likes winding me up by getting me to do shit 'as I'm at home all day'
                misses is properly off today as her work is fully closed, she wanted me to work from home today so we could do some sorting of crap we need to throw out.

Living 5 mins from the office means I get to sit here alone all day - its ideal

Comment

Comment

Homer: Every time I learn something new, a little of the old gets pushed out of my brain. Remember that time I took that wine making course and forgot how to drive?
                    Marge: You were drunk!
                    Homer: And how.

The Simpsons
                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I have loads of memories from when I was young, I even have a snatch of memory of standing up in the cot, and I remember things from my granny who died when I was just turned 5.

I'm shit at names and faces of people I know now though.

Comment

SPOILER

One of the brothers had to thaw his boiler condensation pipe this morning. See the fossilized spider in the ice tube.

Comment

I'm another of the 'remember little before the age of 10' crowd; and I've a fantastic memory for facts and dates in general, just not from my own younger life! And it was also pointed out to me a few years ago that one of the two memories I held on to from my time living in Kerry (up until the age of 5) was just from a photograph in a family album, one of my Dad standing on the roof of our bungalow installing a TV aerial, I'm now 99% sure the memory is simply that photo imprinted into my brain.

Almost every other memory from my younger self seems to be of traumatic events; knocking over a plastic bottle of 7Up in Kerry and crying as I thought I had broken it, walking along the prom in Salthill and when my parents weren't looking finding a half-drunk bottle of Club Orange on a low wall and drinking it, my parents seeing this and telling me to stop, that it could be filled with pee (very traumatic I think you'll agree), being knocked down by two dogs chasing each other on the Lady's Beach in Salthill, the first time I was called out of the class in primary school to have my hand smacked by the principal using a slipper, the time the principal burst into the class room (about 5th class?) mid-fight with the roughest boy in the class... that last one is funny as I remember it being a pretty 'equal' fight and Dara being the biggest boy in the class, but thinking about it now, the principal was a fully grown man and Dara was only about 11 years old!

Funny how the old noggin works!

Comment

XmasFM is broadcasting today
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I personally feel most memories we believe we remember are either from photographs or anecdotes that were told to us.

Unless its fairly traumatic, we aint remembering shit before 7 or 8.
                              I have tons of memories as a kid. My nickname was IBM as a teen/20something

I got stung by a bee, was in a hospital. I was 18 months

A neighbour slapping my arse, I was 2, at her house for a birthday party and was touching the electric fire and poking fingers through

Playing pre school with my friend Christine McCartney - jumping on her bed from the windowsil. Was between 3-4. Loads of memories playing

My first day at school, can even visualise the coat pegs with little pictures on them and introducing myself to Gail Semple who went on to be my best friend.

LOADS of primary school memories, can close my eyes and mentally walk through the school and see the teachers. The building was bulldozed 30 or more years ago.

I have more trouble remembering to do things now, but my memory is still great for all that.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                I'm another of the 'remember little before the age of 10' crowd; and I've a fantastic memory for facts and dates in general, just not from my own younger life! And it was also pointed out to me a few years ago that one of the two memories I held on to from my time living in Kerry (up until the age of 5) was just from a photograph in a family album, one of my Dad standing on the roof of our bungalow installing a TV aerial, I'm now 99% sure the memory is simply that photo imprinted into my brain.

Almost every other memory from my younger self seems to be of traumatic events; knocking over a plastic bottle of 7Up in Kerry and crying as I thought I had broken it, walking along the prom in Salthill and when my parents weren't looking finding a half-drunk bottle of Club Orange on a low wall and drinking it, my parents seeing this and telling me to stop, that it could be filled with pee (very traumatic I think you'll agree), being knocked down by two dogs chasing each other on the Lady's Beach in Salthill, the first time I was called out of the class in primary school to have my hand smacked by the principal using a slipper, the time the principal burst into the class room (about 5th class?) mid-fight with the roughest boy in the class... that last one is funny as I remember it being a pretty 'equal' fight and Dara being the biggest boy in the class, but thinking about it now, the principal was a fully grown man and Dara was only about 11 years old!

Funny how the old noggin works!
                                don't remember too much before 4 years old but loads from there on in. We moved country every 4 years more or less, and in each country we moved house 2 or 3 times, so i suppose it's very easy for me to have strong reference points to my time line and lots of memories from each place. I also had a habit of doing things which got me badly injured between 4 and 10 so i've got plenty of scars as reminders still.

Comment

Snow getting pretty heavy in D18 - we are just on the Dublin mountains side of the M50, not too high at all but must be 3 inches of snow on the ground now. If this the predicted blizzard hits at 3pm or whatever later today and tomorrow are going to be mental! Have no intention of opening the front door until Saturday, it stayed shut all day yesterday too.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                    Snow getting pretty heavy in D18 - we are just on the Dublin mountains side of the M50, not too high at all but must be 3 inches of snow on the ground now. If this the predicted blizzard hits at 3pm or whatever later today and tomorrow are going to be mental! Have no intention of opening the front door until Saturday, it stayed shut all day yesterday too.
                                    That’s a long time to stay indoors. You’ll get cabin fever or crying baby fever Paul!

We had about 6 inches yesterday and it’s another couple on top today. I got plenty of firewood chopped this morning for the next 36 hours!

I got out for a hike in the sunshine around 14.00 yesterday for a few hours and it was beautiful. The local kids were sledding most of the day on a really steep hill. Shame my kid is a bit young and was unwell as I really fancied a go myself! Maybe on Friday or Saturday once the worst has passed I can convince her that it’ll be a bit of craic!
                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Sky just keeps getting better. My pitch is about to improve

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.
                                      Her sky-ness
                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                        misses is properly off today as her work is fully closed, she wanted me to work from home today so we could do some sorting of crap we need to throw out.

Living 5 mins from the office means I get to sit here alone all day - its ideal
                                        Probably no where near us open for lunch is there?

Comment

Great to get out for walks in this weather. Grand and fresh and not many out. Dog loving life jumping in the snow and barking at snowmen cos they're not moving

Comment

Some photos of a good use for all the excess bread out there.

SPOILER
                                            The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                              Probably no where near us open for lunch is there?
                                              As I said she is at home so is cooking me a nice lunch.

I would say all of the hotels are open anyway so gasworks or the dylan will do food I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post

SPOILER
                                                My misses went down to tesco as the bread delivery came in and bought a slice pan and some ciabatta's. We dont eat that much bread so she was feeding the ducks with some of it on the way back.

Someone starting giving out to her because there was no bread left in the shop by the time they got down.

I wish I had been there to laugh

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post

SPOILER
                                                  nothing worse than a bored photographer taking bird pics

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                    don't remember too much before 4 years old but loads from there on in. We moved country every 4 years more or less, and in each country we moved house 2 or 3 times, so i suppose it's very easy for me to have strong reference points to my time line and lots of memories from each place. I also had a habit of doing things which got me badly injured between 4 and 10 so i've got plenty of scars as reminders still.
                                                    Dont know if you would be interested, or even mobile enough to attend, but i have 2 tickets for this and doesnt look like i can get the time off work.

Maybe you might know someone who would like to attend ?

New Model Army - Night of a Thousand Voices

You know those moments when the band plays quietly and the whole audience sings the words? Sometimes, these are the most emotional experiences - because singing together is the oldest and most basic form of human art, something primal and truly shared. So we are planning two nights of just this, which, to the best of our knowledge, has never been attempted by any band ever.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Follow that van !!

This too shall pass.

Comment

Just checking back in, can barely concentrate. Can someone explain to me the bread situation. it seems all a bit mad

Comment

Nevermind bread ye live in strange areas, my local lidl was out of sausages and fairly short on wine. Looked for Lazares favourite wine to see what it was all about, it was white wine - scumbag
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Dont know if you would be interested, or even mobile enough to attend, but i have 2 tickets for this and doesnt look like i can get the time off work.

Maybe you might know someone who would like to attend ?
                                                            definitely would have been cool, but that is going to fall smack bang when i should be getting my operation done or just after when i'll be out of action unfortunately

Comment

Follow that van !!

That's a lorry, not a van, you eijit
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                That's a lorry, not a van, you eijit
                                                                It’s a truck me thinks

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                  Nevermind bread ye live in strange areas, my local lidl was out of sausages and fairly short on wine. Looked for Lazares favourite wine to see what it was all about, it was white wine - scumbag
                                                                  No it's not.

Comment

No it's not.
                                                                    Im confused, have you a link so i can try again?
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Tesco also out of sausages, rashers and low on wine. Got Smoked black pudding and rashers from the butchers but they were also out of sausages

Comment

Odd to hear about all the lack of memory, I remember everybody from primary school even though i haven't talked to them since. If I run into one randomly we will remember each other. Same with secondary school. i have quite clear memories of a lot of it and all of my childhood. Probably did a lot more memorable stuff living in the countryside.

Grand aul day today, friend made some bird feeders and we walked around the place in the snow hanging them out for the birds, fed some local cats too, really nice out for a walk. So many people are wearing terrible footwear and they are destroyed.

Called into tesco on the way home was pandemonium in there, hundreds of people. An old man had hidden some stuffed mushrooms on the cereal shelf and came back to get them when I was there, was pretty hilarious. Cat was fairly pissed I had locked her out while all this was happening.
                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-03-18, 13:40.

Comment

Im confused, have you a link so i can try again?
                                                                          This is it.

Comment

There seems to be a lot of people around the place that I never knew existed. In my day you knew who lived in every house. Feel like I'm in a new town . One of the wimmin I never knew existed has a lovely arse. The beast from the south agreed

Comment

That's a nice thing to do for the birdies Tar, well played.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                There seems to be a lot of people around the place that I never knew existed. In my day you knew who li ed in every house. Feel like I'm in a new town . One of the wimmin I never knew existed has a lovely arse. The beast from the south agreed
                                                                                Walked to the butchers earlier, it's gas how every single person out walking says hello in the snow. Heads down normally.

Comment

Walked to the butchers earlier, it's gas how every single person out walking says hello in the snow. Heads down normally.
                                                                                  Fear of a snowball pelting can do that to you. Plus you look the type who would engage in a surprise attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                    Fear of a snowball pelting can do that to you. Plus you look the type who would engage in a surprise attack.
                                                                                    Ha, a kid told me I looked like a terrorist yesterday with me snood and wooly hat.

Comment

Just back from a walk and the kids in the estate are giving out that its not fair that there isnt enough snow around to make a snowman.

Comment

Topical

Comment

Pretty disappointing stuff all round in the northwest and it doesn’t look like we are really gonna get anything interesting that justifies the red warning here,I can understand why they did it but can see employers up here being pissed,between Ophelia and this my place has lost 3 days in past few months to non events. I was off anyway so just means gonna be swamped next week with everything hanging over from this week.
                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 01-03-18, 14:17.

Comment

Trudeau really showed himself up for the gobshite he is in India,the outfits were laughable but utterly predictable from a novelty sock wearer. Saw a good interview on bbc with an Indian fashion designer who absolutely ripped him to shreds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                                                              Just back from a walk and the kids in the estate are giving out that its not fair that there isnt enough snow around to make a snowman.
                                                                                              we made this chap earlier: could have made about fifty of them if so inclined

boy child doing his best gangsta stance:

SPOILER
                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

That's a nice thing to do for the birdies Tar, well played.
                                                                                                It's very easy, real professional job
                                                                                                You just see them seaching around in the snow to no avail. Saw there was a dog found frozen to death in Tallaght.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-03-18, 14:26.

Comment

This is it.
                                                                                                  I'm pretty sure I had a white with same/similar name. Anyway ill try again the next day, Im sealed in
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Just 12, yes 12, days to Cheltenham and the pot keep inexorably rising.

€1250 to play for at latest count. Book your place today. Or else.

Comment

OK, it's snowing but it's not bad, bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                        OK, it's snowing but it's not bad, bad.
                                                                                                        4pm kick off mate, this is just the kick around beforehand
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

We have an igloo on the green and a 4*4 dragging kids and adults up and down the hill on sleds!
                                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Don't..... Make....Any.....Unnecessary.....Sandwiches

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                              https://www.indy100.com/article/just...ersial-8234026

Trudeau really showed himself up for the gobshite he is in India,the outfits were laughable but utterly predictable from a novelty sock wearer. Saw a good interview on bbc with an Indian fashion designer who absolutely ripped him to shreds.
                                                                                                              He is an embarrassment, spends his time crying, apologising for everything and the rest playing dress up. He is the ultimate beta male.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                                He is an embarrassment, spends his time crying, apologising for everything and the rest playing dress up. He is the ultimate beta male.
                                                                                                                I mean... what do you expect?
                                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

4pm kick off mate, this is just the kick around beforehand
                                                                                                                  Be nearer 9pm up this area.

Comment

I'd be pretty sure that a higher %age of Americans are embarrassed by Trump than Canadians embarrassed by Trudeau.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                      I'd be pretty sure that a higher %age of Americans are embarrassed by Trump than Canadians embarrassed by Trudeau.
                                                                                                                      Not necessarily. While it doesn't correlate exactly with embarrassment its our best indicator - President Trump won 46.1% of the vote, Trudeau's party only won 39.47% of the vote in their most recent elections.

Comment

Not necessarily. While it doesn't correlate exactly with embarrassment its our best indicator - President Trump won 46.1% of the vote, Trudeau's party only won 39.47% of the vote in their most recent elections.
                                                                                                                        That seems like a fair use of statistics. Cause the percentage you get in an effective head to head run-off vote (American election) is directly comparable to the percentage in a Canadian election with 3 large parties and lots of smaller parties.

Comment

Remember when you had no idea who the Canadian prime minister was? Better days

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X