Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a person I don't really warm to Jordan Peterson as he's a bit closer to a brain on a stick than one in touch with his feelings, but he may be the most intelligent person I have ever listened to.

If you can't respect Peterson's mind, knowledge, and views on many things then you can't have spent much time listening to him. You just have to get over the hump of his arrogance and certainty.

I have been watching his psychology lectures on personality and he is extraordinary.

Comment

Was into jp before he got big
      "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
      "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Nice to know the little Supermacs Chanel is assistant manager in just won shop of the year ( and there are many Supermacs dotted about this country!) at their annual awards

fair play to them!

SPOILER

Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Try Shouk in Drumcondra Hitch for some casual middles eastern, israeli kinda stuff. Had all you can eat there for 25 euro for lunch on Sunday, was amazing. Didn't eat again that day.

This place should be getting it's star soon https://www.facebook.com/VICE/videos/1904858163161557/
            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-01-18, 00:34.

Comment

Comment

Nah it wasn't a mezze, that was a separate option, more like they bring you all the mains, one of which was the mezze. Never heard of anything from afghan.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-01-18, 00:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  A tweet and maybe Raoul's post reminded me of a food topic I've been meaning to post on: just how sublime Middle Eastern food can be if you can get past the Lebanese humus stage.

Don't actually have much to say on it. But my two most memorable restaurants of the last year have been Syrian and Afghani (the Afghani one a few times as it's in Rennes). Have been at a two- and a few one-Michelin star restaurants over last year, but none have come close to these Middle Eastern no stars. (actually I'm starting to become convinced that Michelin is really short code for technically excellent but boring food, enveloped in that horrible obsequiousness where the staff pretend you are a lord).

The thing about Syrian and Afghan food is it seems so simple - just beautifully perfumed meat then barbequed to get maximum flavour out of it. The flavouring of the meat is the key - in a humdrum place you're essentially eating a kebab, but in a great place where the chef really knows their balance it is elevated beyond any cuisine imo. It's the absolute food of kings.
                  This.
                  Actually all the most memorable meals I’ve had have been in cheap enough places,fine diminish way overrated,like you say some people just like being fawned over.
                  We should start setting quotas on immigrants based on quality of their countries cuisine.sorry brits! (And Eastern Europeans too.(even though I like a good borscht)

Comment

(actually I'm starting to become convinced that Michelin is really short code for technically excellent but boring food, enveloped in that horrible obsequiousness where the staff pretend you are a lord).
                    Nail on the head but shhh. Don't ruin it for the think they know it all fake elite types. They are playing pretend like everyone else.

Cracking summation tbf, couldn't help but have my dig at the hollow pretenders first though.

Comment

Never tried any middle eastern munch but Ethiopian cuisine is the best I’ve ever encountered. Sounds similar to how you describe the Afghan cuisine Hitch - beautifully flavoured, simple foods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                        Never tried any middle eastern munch
                        What about kebabs?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          The new inlaws sent me over a c.1Kg lump in early december and its down to the rind now. Most months a 500g piece would be plenty for me so it would take a few years to get through that wheel! Also I like parmesan to be a bit fresh in the middle and they are still charging €25 per Kg for the wheel which is similar to the Italian supermarket price for the best quality.
                          Would look pretty awesome though
                          Our youngest is mad for the stuff. In a restaurant they came with the dish to sprinkle on the pasta, she asked them to leave it and almost finished it in one sitting! she seriously does take pasta with her Parmesan!

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                          After 3 days of suspected salmonella poisoning, I am seriously rethinking my understanding of the phrase
                          Had Salmonella when I was about 22, just came back from Turkey. I could shit through the eye of a needle for about a week. Was off work for two weeks with it. Absolutely horrible.

Mezze is that Lebanese crap! I know it's good, but there's way better Middle Eastern cuisines. It's because the Lebanese are such good business folk it's so popular. The Afghan cusine is just understated brilliance.
                          Love Lebanese food, some great places over here. Had a cracking meal at one of the more expensive Lebanese restaurants and every item from the warm or cold mezzes to the dessert were on the money!

Comment

(actually I'm starting to become convinced that Michelin is really short code for technically excellent but boring food, enveloped in that horrible obsequiousness where the staff pretend you are a lord).

It's a bit like how I was reading the other day that the reason why we're stuck with so many brutalist buildings isn't because anyone likes them but because they're so technically difficult that architects do them as a challenge.

Comment

Damascus Gate is the spot for ME food in Dublin imo.

I think there's a memorable review of it in the thread here. BYO as well.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Afghanistan <> 'Middle East' btw

(removes Kayroo 'pedant of the day' badge)

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                  It's a bit like how I was reading the other day that the reason why we're stuck with so many brutalist buildings isn't because anyone likes them but because they're so technically difficult that architects do them as a challenge.
                                  I'd guess that was refering to the current brutalist buildings, rather than actual brutalist era buildings in the 60s and 70s. The latter were cheap and nasty. Social housing, institutal buildings, campuses. Their modern counterparts are probably presented with all sort of challenges with modern regulations. Its not a style I particular like, but if you have a like to the article I wouldn't mind a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Back off Stuntman. You don’t see me coming in here making outlandishly unjustifiable predictions about the coming year and then losing to Hitch just so I can grab your mantle!
                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

That really irked me as well, it's like nah man that Lebanese stuff is crap, really good middle eastern food is actually Russian! (Last time Afghanistan was in the middle east so was Russia - before WWI)

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                        That Weinstein guy seems pretty reasonable.

This is mad
                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMYfxOFBBM
                                        Got a well deserved settlement iirc
                                        "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                          That really irked me as well, it's like nah man that Lebanese stuff is crap, really good middle eastern food is actually Russian! (Last time Afghanistan was in the middle east so was Russia - before WWI)
                                          Have this vegan fb group eating out of my paw. Feel like Marla in fight club turning up for testicular cancer support groups.

Comment

I see Joseph O'Brien has an income of €400 a week.

Must admit I thought there'd be more bunce in training group winners for Tabor and Magnier.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                                              Have this vegan fb group eating out of my paw. Feel like Marla in fight club turning up for testicular cancer support groups.
                                              Hitting them with the Guinness, a low blow. Too easy.
                                              Want to try out that blackcurrant thing now.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                I see Joseph O'Brien has an income of €400 a week.
                                                I doubt he be spending 200 of that 400 in a week.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Was into jp before he got big
                                                  psychologywanker
                                                  always that one cunt at a party showing off his Maslow skills
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Only thing he'll be showing off is his hierarchy of weeds.

Comment

link?
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Hello IPB heads,

It’s been a while since I was in Scouseland.. Going to Liverpool on Friday. About 12 of us (nobody under 40) .

So a few questions if ye be so good to answer.

1. A good spot for music, late beer and nice scenery to gape at without scaring them

2. Any sites for match tickets (might head to a game somewhere)

3. What’s the deal with Visa Debit over there. DO I need to bring Sterling x 300 or so?

4. Anything new there in the last few years one should see?

Ithankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                          Hello IPB heads,

It’s been a while since I was in Scouseland.. Going to Liverpool on Friday. About 12 of us (nobody under 40) .

1. A good spot for music, late beer and nice scenery to gape at without scaring them

3. What’s the deal with Visa Debit over there. DO I need to bring Sterling x 300 or so?

Ithankyou.
                                                          Music- great new bar top of mathew st called sgt peppers. Very good live music at night. Oneills also does music and decent pub grub. Good for sports too with few bookies close by.

The grapes on lime st might be good for tickets. They do breakfast and often have an ex player in for talk early morning of match.

Don't wear your Utd jersey

Comment

UEFA Nations League Draw
                                                            Tier 1
                                                            Group 1

Germany
                                                            France
                                                            Netherlands

Group 2
                                                            Belgium
                                                            Switzerland
                                                            Iceland

Group 3
                                                            Portugal
                                                            Italy
                                                            Poland

Group 4
                                                            Spain
                                                            England
                                                            Croatia

Tier 2
                                                            Group 3
                                                            Austria
                                                            Bosnia-Herzegovina
                                                            Northern Ireland

Group 4
                                                            Wales
                                                            Ireland
                                                            Denmark

Tier 3.
                                                            Group 1

Scotland
                                                            Albania
                                                            Israel

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                              Music- great new bar top of mathew st called sgt peppers. Very good live music at night. Oneills also does music and decent pub grub. Good for sports too with few bookies close by.

The grapes on lime st might be good for tickets. They do breakfast and often have an ex player in for talk early morning of match.

Don't wear your Utd jersey
                                                              Cheers. Only wear footie attire if selected to play. If anyone asks Stevie Highway was my hero. (If pushed Ray Kennedy )

Comment

Just an FA Cup game against WBA this week, so suspect tickets won't be too much of a problem.
                                                                7.45PM Saturday so would fit in well with a drunken weekend.

Comment

Beatles experience is pretty cool to pass an afternoon. Hard to go far wrong bar wise tbh, all variations on cheap and cheerful.
                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

A tweet and maybe Raoul's post reminded me of a food topic I've been meaning to post on: just how sublime Middle Eastern food can be if you can get past the Lebanese humus stage.

Don't actually have much to say on it. But my two most memorable restaurants of the last year have been Syrian and Afghani (the Afghani one a few times as it's in Rennes). Have been at a two- and a few one-Michelin star restaurants over last year, but none have come close to these Middle Eastern no stars. (actually I'm starting to become convinced that Michelin is really short code for technically excellent but boring food, enveloped in that horrible obsequiousness where the staff pretend you are a lord).

The thing about Syrian and Afghan food is it seems so simple - just beautifully perfumed meat then barbequed to get maximum flavour out of it. The flavouring of the meat is the key - in a humdrum place you're essentially eating a kebab, but in a great place where the chef really knows their balance it is elevated beyond any cuisine imo. It's the absolute food of kings.
                                                                    Bought this cookbook a few years back and it is one of my most frequently used, great recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                      psychologywanker
                                                                      always that one cunt at a party showing off his Maslow skills
                                                                      SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                        I'd guess that was refering to the current brutalist buildings, rather than actual brutalist era buildings in the 60s and 70s. The latter were cheap and nasty. Social housing, institutal buildings, campuses. Their modern counterparts are probably presented with all sort of challenges with modern regulations. Its not a style I particular like, but if you have a like to the article I wouldn't mind a look.
                                                                        Dunno what article it was from, it was just a quote of a passage on twitter.
                                                                        There's a few from that age that are revered, like Berkeley Library, think Lovin Dublin did a run down of their favourite ones.

Comment

The finest example.

My google photos tagged it as a 'Skyscraper'.

Comment

That actually was on the list. Can't find the article though.

Comment

Pension limits:

What way does change when you go up a bracket in age? Can you put in a higher percentage in the calendar year you move into the next age bracket? Or the month?

Comment

...

Comment

Pension limits:

What way does change when you go up a bracket in age? Can you put in a higher percentage in the calendar year you move into the next age bracket? Or the month?
                                                                                  In the year.
                                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Pension limits:

Happy birthday

Comment

Got a well deserved settlement iirc
                                                                                      Yeah ez $600k. Could have stuck em for more if he'd wanted.
                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Somehow am now a web developer for my place.

I've done more DNS and SSL type cert stuff in the last 12 hours than the last 12 years

Comment

As if it's not tough enough being a Leeds fan, we will soon have this as our club logo on shirts

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                                                                            As if it's not tough enough being a Leeds fan, we will soon have this as our club logo on shirts

The Big Heart!

Comment

Get an a small six-monthly payment of $2k for something for the last few years. Normally comes in at around €1850 or so. Looked up the rate today and it seems the US Dollar has spent the last six months tracking the Zimbabwe Dollar. What gives? Would have thought the high relative interest rate and high relative growth in US would be supporting a strong dollar.
                                                                                              Eurozone has come back to life?

Comment

Hello IPB heads,

Ithankyou.
                                                                                                Loads of bars around concert Square, but they mostly cater to people around the age of 16-21. Mathew St your best bet a said. Usually live music in the cavern.

Comment

Cliff Taylor: The success of Trumponomics has confounded sceptics
                                                                                                  The Dow Jones index of shares has gained almost 33% since Trump’s inauguration

about 11 hours ago

Wonder could I get a job with the IT

Comment

...

Comment

The NBA have flipped on their original position regarding sports betting, they're looking for 1% of all bets placed. New Jersey is the first target as expected.
                                                                                                      I assume it's only a matter of time before it's legalised in a number states, probably in a highly regulated manner.

The NBA wants 1 percent of every bet made on its games -- one of several recommendations an attorney has made in outlining the league's position on expanding sports wagering in the United States.

Comment

Rip Liam Miller

Comment

I've done more DNS and SSL type cert stuff in the last 12 hours than the last 12 years
                                                                                                          I left my job 6 months ago for greener hills. My replacement didn't work out. Returned recently for 55% uplift on my original salary and bump up to IT Manager. Nothing but meetings, calls, paperwork and little chance to do anything remotely technical so far.

Comment

Rip Liam Miller
                                                                                                            Any link? Saw some clowns tweeting it but no reports yet?

Comment

Sounds like you are DevOps now......... which means they can assign you to anything IT related.

No wonder IT security it the fastest growing segment of the industry.

Fire off some OpenVAS scans there while you are at it.
                                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Class goal for Arsenal

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                  Any link? Saw some clowns tweeting it but no reports yet?
                                                                                                                  Mate texted me. Why would people lie like that ? He is/was battling cancer.

Comment

Mate texted me. Why would people lie like that ? He is/was battling cancer.
                                                                                                                    Cos people are idiots. Still battling afaik

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                      Class goal for Arsenal
                                                                                                                      Man City are pissing themselves watching this, although Barkley's roley poleys there were very impressive!

Comment

No.

Mark E Smith, lead singer with the Fall, dies aged 60

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                                                                          Man City are pissing themselves watching this, although Barkley's roley poleys there were very impressive!
                                                                                                                          Iwobi is poison. Pure poison. The sooner we get Mkh in there to replace him, the better! Not sure if Barkley has touched the ball yet, but he's spent a lot of time on the ground. That quadruple Khorkina was impressive though

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X