Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Yeah, if anything I'd say educated person from abroad with the drive to move is worth more to the county than some average Joe that happened to be born here.
    70% of the team I work on are non-Irish.

If we couldn't hire them, the work would have gone to the US, Israel or Singapore. Immigration is a key driver of economic success (look at the US, Canada or indeed Jack's own example, Australia, if you don't believe this).

Ireland wouldn't be half as successful economically if ot wasn't for immigration (and we certainly can't blame immigrants for our episode of madness). It's no coincidence that Ireland's growth took off after we decided to embrace the world.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I've actually met Jack, and can confirm he is an actual person, not a Russian bot.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Here is the you Tube of that catch, really is a bit special

Strikers Ben Laughlin and Jake Weatherald pulled off one of the all-time great boundary catches to send Dwayne Bravo on his way at Etihad Stadium
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
            someone stick an appropriate meme there for Deadparrot.

Swanchez. Liverpool obviously knackered themselves out against City.

I may or may not be killed in Liverpool the weekend.

2/10
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              Ireland wouldn't be half as successful economically if ot wasn't for immigration
              We would be ruined if it wasn't for emigration also.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                An update on your pursuit of the purple taco is what I'm more interested in.
                ...I'm wondering what made you edit this 5 hours later!!!...Will update at end of each month, regardless of how little or much (or little again) I have...

Comment

There's two guys streets ahead of everyone else in our place in terms of productivity and work ethic. They're both from Mauritius.

Anyone who has the balls and hunger to head to the other side of the world away from their family and culture in pursuit of bettering themselves needs to be welcomed with open arms.

I always urge my boss to hire immigrants over Irish people. Based on extensive experience.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Fuckin hell, came home to a strong smell of burning. Discovered one of the rings of the cooker going at full power with a pile of ashes on it. Seems I knocked the knob on by accident when leaving for work. I had a bottle of sun cream resting by the ring (hardly ever use the cooker.). One corner of which melted clean through. Think there was something else on it but is is burnt so have no idea what it was. There was a plastic card 20-30 cms away that is now ruined as twisted in half.

How the kitchen didn't burn down i'll never know... was on for 12 hours

Very lucky excape...
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Don't gas rings automatically turn themselves off at some point, or is that just if its gas coming out without fire? Thats a lucky escape though.
                        Electric cooker obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                          This is evidence of nothing really accept that were potentially taking in 52% extra people than we should be at a bare minimum - who says we need what they are offering. We should set up a list of areas of skills shortages and only accept immigration from those areas. Everything else we can source from own population.
                          To get a visa you either need to be in education or have a company sponsor you for a critical skills visa. Working in tech recruitment I can tell you for sure that getting the Visa's through is not a trivial matter and require both a job that pays above 30,000 and is in shortage or over 60,000 if its not in demand.

There are of course people who come from inside the EU but we cannot change that without leaving.

Comment

Comment

Would be highly impressive if Trump manages to get through a gasoline tax to pay for infrastructure upgrades in the US.

Comment

Some figures from Public health England on their minimum alcohol pricing strategy

A three-litre bottle of cider containing 22.5 units of alcohol can be bought for as little as £3.60. If the 50p minimum unit price were to be introduced, the costs would jump to £11

“My patients with alcohol-related cirrhosis, their average consumption is 120 units a week. That’s the median, the mean is higher – it’s 150.

“A typical Frosty Jack’s drinker would be drinking about 16 litres a week and they would be paying about £20 for it – now that would go up three-fold, they’d be paying about £70 for it.”

For people drinking 14 units per week – the recommended weekly limit – the cost, when drinking wine or spirits, would be an extra £1.26 per week.
                                All sounds like a perfectly reasonable targeted health measure that has the potential to be effective.

The only bit that troubles me still is this

Unlike a tax, it will not impact alcohol price in pubs and clubs, which they say could have a negative impact on the night-time economy.
                                Critics of the proposals say money raised from a minimum unit price goes straight to the manufacturers, while increased duty could be used to provide alcohol treatment programmes.
                                So because pubs and nightclubs might have been affected negatively if it was handled through excise they should just donate whatever extra income it generates to the manufacturers. Surely it is not beyond the wit of the taxman to figure out a way around that. On the other hand if the measure worked perfectly there would be little or no extra spend.

Comment

Would be highly impressive if Trump manages to get through a gasoline tax to pay for infrastructure upgrades in the US.
                                  His rating is low enough for it not to matter.

Comment

But is it going to reduce deaths and crime? Yes, it’s beyond doubt, the question is how well.
                                    All sounds like a perfectly reasonable targeted health measure that has the potential to be effective.
                                    Don't see any numbers on what the effects are SP? If you're trippling the price of a staple would you not expect more crime to feed that?

Any numbers on the sales of aerosol cans and methylated spirits post MUP?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      His rating is low enough for it not to matter.
                                      Is that the measure? Tax reform, companies bringing home cash, massive wage increases, bumper economy, China finally putting pressure on North Korea. Add fixing crumbling infrastructure and he's having a very successful presidency.

Comment

Is that the measure? Tax reform, companies bringing home cash, massive wage increases, bumper economy, China finally putting pressure on North Korea. Add fixing crumbling infrastructure and he's having a very successful presidency.
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Comment

That would be objectively a stunning achievement. No president has even attempted that since 1993 because they knew they wouldn't be able to get it passed. If he can do that ...
                                              First tax bill in 36 years, he's got form.

Comment

Don't see any numbers on what the effects are SP? If you're trippling the price of a staple would you not expect more crime to feed that?

Any numbers on the sales of aerosol cans and methylated spirits post MUP?
                                                No numbers on the effectiveness obviously because it hasn't been implemented yet. Some of your questions are not invalid, hopefully it will get past the naysayers and vested interests and be given a chance, lets give it a few years to see how it works out.

Comment

Anyone ever considered getting a full wheel of parmesan? strew maybe?
                                                  The new inlaws sent me over a c.1Kg lump in early december and its down to the rind now. Most months a 500g piece would be plenty for me so it would take a few years to get through that wheel! Also I like parmesan to be a bit fresh in the middle and they are still charging €25 per Kg for the wheel which is similar to the Italian supermarket price for the best quality.
                                                  Would look pretty awesome though

Comment

That reminds me on that hotel I booked in Rome, its the place that was recommended here a few times, anyone any idea if this is for real?

Originally posted by ReservationConfirmation
                                                    Standard Double Room
                                                    for (2 guests) Edit
                                                    Free WiFi Non-smoking room
                                                    TV • Telephone • Air conditioning • Hairdryer • Radio • Toilet • Bathroom • Heating • Satellite Channels • Bath or Shower • Wake-up service • Alarm clock • Bidet • City view • Towels
                                                    Bed Size(s): 1 large double bed

Breakfast Breakfast is included in the room rate.

Important information
                                                    Please note that bed linen and towels are not included. You can bring your own or rent them on site.

Comment

Anyone ever considered getting a full wheel of parmesan? strew maybe?
                                                      Wonder how much of the parmesan we use in restaurants etc is fake?

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-01-18, 13:35.

Comment

Comment

That reminds me on that hotel I booked in Rome, its the place that was recommended here a few times, anyone any idea if this is for real?
                                                            It’s been a while since I was there but that’s bizarre. Have a jacuzzi but rent the towels!
                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Been years since i saw a good comedy but

The Marvelous Mrs Maizel on Amazon is top class.

And now watching Master of None of Netflix (once over stupid second episode it just gets better and better) Season 2 ep 1-2 are just class..
                                                              sigpic
                                                              Longshotvalue.com

Comment

Spagna was the one V and GB stayed in right?

There is a ridiculously oversized shoe in the room, I'm sure they have towels

Comment

After 3 days of suspected salmonella poisoning, I am seriously rethinking my understanding of the phrase
                                                                  Do me a solid

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                    Here's the full Joe Rogan podcast where I think Weinstein owns him re: religion. I've watched nearly everything he's produced and a ton of commentary and have only seen him genuinely challenged this one time:

Jordan Peterson is a clinical psychologist and tenured professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. You can check out all Dr. Peterson's self-improv...

I know it's three hours long. :-/ When I have time later I'll find the exact moment, but it's when Weinstein says "At what point does an ideology contain so much legacy code that we should just throw the whole thing out?"
                                                                    Just rewatched the whole thing. Real interesting bit starts at exactly 1 hour in and lasts about 13 mins, but the whole thing is completely box office and everyone should watch it all.
                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Just rewatched the whole thing. Real interesting bit starts at exactly 1 hour in and lasts about 13 mins, but the whole thing is completely box office and everyone should watch it all.
                                                                      Yeah I listened to it all yesterday. Thanks for this.

Brilliant episode. The conversation about religion and "literal truth vs metaphorical truth" was excellent as was the discussion around equality, the extreme left and how to identify the equivalent of the left nazi's and "equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity". All of it was superb and and good listen.
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Name of the hotel in Rome please?

Comment

Christ; guy sounds like an absolute moron

Comment

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ce-823995.html
                                                                            Cool story bro'

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                              Any poker ? Anyone you know still playing for a living ? Heading two Argentina in Akron two weeks only suggestions please ?
                                                                              You heading to Argentina or Akron? Or you're in Akron but you're heading to Argentina?

Assuming you're going to Argentina, whereabouts in Argentina were you planning to go? You're going for just two weeks?

Not been playing any poker in ages to be honest. Still know some lads who play for a living yeah.

Comment

500m in client assets under advice is the best bit.
                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                  Spagna Royal Suite. Very close to the Spanish steps and yet hidden away and boutique. A fun experience.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                    500m in client assets under advice is the best bit.
                                                                                    Justifying yourself before you even get to the point. Sigh. Sounds like a knobhead.
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                      Justifying yourself before you even get to the point. Sigh. Sounds like a knobhead.
                                                                                      I’d seriously doubt if he has 50m in client assets under advice.

Comment

I’d seriously doubt if he has 50m in client assets under advice.
                                                                                        I fucking hope he doesn't!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                          I fucking hope he doesn't!
                                                                                          It would appear he has 4 junior staff plus himself and a mid tier financial planner. Say the payroll is 200k plus himself. 0.5% * 50m = 250k on renewal income plus initial commissions would probably give a gross revenue of 500k.

Sounds like 50m in client assets under advice alright.

Comment

Got half way through it in work. Really good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                              I booked it on booking.com on a no cancellation deal for half the price on the website.

Comment

TBF he's probably a hundred times more clued in than your average Crypto punter

Comment

That Weinstein guy seems pretty reasonable.

This is mad
                                                                                                  Graduation day at Evergreen State College. Racial tensions bubble over to protests at Evergreen State College resulting in protests that lead to questions on...

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                    That Weinstein guy seems pretty reasonable.

This is mad
                                                                                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMYfxOFBBM
                                                                                                    Cultural marxism.

Comment

It would appear he has 4 junior staff plus himself and a mid tier financial planner. Say the payroll is 200k plus himself. 0.5% * 50m = 250k on renewal income plus initial commissions would probably give a gross revenue of 500k.

Sounds like 50m in client assets under advice alright.
                                                                                                      You know it's a serious outfit when one of the four looks like he just finished school.

Comment

Don't think I could take 3 hours of utter shite like Peterson's opening line about his opponents that for them 'The only actual means of expression is power'

Give me a break , just because you say its so doesn't make it so.

Comment

Sent a link to myself in work, only realised last week that Bluetooth headphones work off the crappy PC's, IPB blocked...kunts.

Tomorrow night i shall listen.
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

The way Katie Hannon's cynicism cuts through to what Katie believes is class.

Comment

...

Comment

Strew: Peterson is clearly a highly intelligent and informed persuader. Seems like someone that at least deserves a competent counter-criticism rather than your responses which are more suited to dismissing a Daily Mail style provocateur. Its not that you should subscribe to his viewpoint (obv), but he does demand a better class of reaction due to how cogently he forms his arguments.
                                                                                                                Sure, like I said before most of what he says is common sense sbut he is often putting forward statements are put as fact that are either simply lies or at best unverifiable opinion and hanging his arguments on them.

For instance it could just as easily be argued and IMO much closer to the truth that the very opposite of what he is saying about those students is true.

Comment

Don't think I could take 3 hours of utter shite like Peterson's opening line about his opponents that for them 'The only actual means of expression is power'

Give me a break , just because you say its so doesn't make it so.
                                                                                                                  Hmmm I've often thought this reading your ol rants. Now look at ya going all Alanis Morrisette on Peterson. Don't ya think ?

Comment

Just drank a bottle of nighty nighty snooze snooze. Good nightzzzzzzzz

Comment

*Extensive research*
                                                                                                                      *picks site with highest possible fees*
                                                                                                                      *buys everything they have available near their ATH immediately*

Comment

Strew: Peterson is clearly a highly intelligent and informed persuader. Seems like someone that at least deserves a competent counter-criticism rather than your responses which are more suited to dismissing a Daily Mail style provocateur. Its not that you should subscribe to his viewpoint (obv), but he does demand a better class of reaction due to how cogently he forms his arguments.
                                                                                                                        True but you'd have to invest so much of your time going through the motions of disagreement that he would deem you to not be competent to attempt to do so

Comment

Tuesday night the favoured day for meeting like-minded individuals for Korean food and drinking sneaky beers in the Savoy.

Verdict on the Churchill movie: it's an Oscar vehicle for Gary Oldman but lacks a bit of depth beyond that. Still, my annual small donation to non-piratage well spent.
                                                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X