Hitting the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting the wall

Hi folks, new here, so not sure if this is the right place to post or not.

Anyway, I seem to have hit a stumbling block in terms of the development of my game. I started playing about 2 years ago now but I play quite infrequently(inability to build/manage a roll).

I played in manchester(235) and the G quite a bit in the £10 and £20 tuorneys, few 2nds, 4ths, 5ths and plenty of FT's. But it seems like i get constantly outplayed and I never seem to adjust or get better at all.

For example, online(I never deposit much), I cant even make any return on small tourneys(i mean proper micro ones). Il play really well once in a blue moon.

What did you do as a newbie to develop ? Im not looking for a quick fix or think there's a magic winning formula. I would just like to see my game progress.

It might be more of a mental thing, for example Ive read books, watched videoss, but never seem to take anything on board.

I realise my post sounds a bit all over the place but hoping u nice people can help in any way shape or form!

Cheers!

Originally posted by durkadurka View Post
    It might be more of a mental thing, for example Ive read books, watched videoss, but never seem to take anything on board.

I think that answered your question. It is going to be pretty hard to develop your game if you do not take anything on board...

Maybe try read a book / watch video and just to take 1 or 2 small bits of information at a time and build your game up slowly. Taking on too much information probably is resulting in you forgetting it all due to overload...

Comment

Have you considered/tried coaching?
      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
        Have you considered/tried coaching?
        I would be interested in this. but is this done with a person or through a laptop

for examole, i orefer live games... but i seem to not .. well, cant ... and struggle with value betting, blind stealing. i mean as it gets to say final table i may get 3rd 4th , but never getting the big prize.. so id consider a coach,

Comment

I personally haven't done it myself but you would see it on a lot of forums - most would probably be for online but am sure there would be some for live but it is pretty costly I think. Hopefully some others will chip in with some other advice rather here too.

Before trying the coaching etc how about playing some tournaments and throwing up some hh's on here with your thought process - most of the guys who reply to the hand history posts on here are very experience and have some great detailed advice so it really could help!
          Just try and remember as much about the opponent and of the hand as you can, it could help hearing other peoples theories in situations you have personally been in.
          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

durkadurka, I found myself in the same position as you are in, plenty of decent results but not being able to go all the way.

I got in contact with 3 well known guys on here and asked them all sorts of questions, I am still in regular contact with one of them and discuss hh regularly with him. In the six months I have been asking questions to improve, I have gone from making regular ft's to getting in the money spots and have a couple of wins under my belt now. Also take a look here http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...splay.php?f=38 It has also helped me a lot reading what guys who know what they are talking about have said.

All the MTT's I am playing are micro online and live it is only 2-3 tables in the local club. Once you start getting further in the tournaments, you will start to realise what needs to be done. And my "coach" once said, if you learn something new every time you play it was worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far guys. @corigi yeah when i "study" i almost try to do too much and probably miss the fundamentals and objectives for the session. I dont really see where the advice comes in to play in my situations or anything.

Have considered coaching but I cant really afford it at the moment. When I deposit again il throw up the hand histories aswell and see what people say. Ive been reading a lot of here aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by durkadurka View Post
                Have considered coaching but I cant really afford it at the moment. When I deposit again il throw up the hand histories aswell and see what people say. Ive been reading a lot of here aswell.
                I actually meant from your live tournaments. You want to focus on the live aspect of your game so it might be better to focus on spots you are confused in, or why you are blinding down in chips or whatever it is you are having difficulty with. There are a smart bunch here - good few idiots too though
                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

move up stakes where your raises are believed

Comment

Been paying online recently and there just is no improvement in my game whatsoever. incredibly frustrating !

Comment

Read plenty of hand histories people put up asking for advice on 2+2. Read the OP, think how you think the hand should be played and then read the replies to the OP and see how other people think about the game. It's a decent free way to get thinking about various situations.

Comment

Ive been going through some of my own HH' and just realising how bad i play at times. which is a start. Just trying to find a style of play. at the minute im too passive and i tend to bluff way more than I should in bad spots. Thinking through a hand when playing it has helped a little too.

Comment

Working...
                        X