10 * 50kg
    10 * 90kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 100kg
    You're crazy

There's really no need to do that many reps on the warm up sets. You're just wasting energy that could be used for your work sets.

50 to 90 is waaaaay too big of a jump plus 10 reps at 90 is basically another workset. No wonder it takes you long to recover!

Just for one session try something like this:

8 * 20kg
    6 * 40kg
    4 * 60kg
    2 * 75kg
    1 * 90kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 100kg
    8 * 100kg

Still a ton of reps but not as insane as you're doing at the moment.Then, let me know if you feel any difference. Throw in some mobility stuff if you're worried you wont be warmed up properly.

Comment

TB Deadlift
      10 * 40kg
      10 * 80kg
      10 * 110kg
      10 * 140kg
      10 * 150kg
      10 * 150kg
      10 * 150kg

30kg Barbell (bar + 10kg) Complex ~ 5 sets
      8 * Clean
      8 * Push Press
      8 * Back Squat
      8 * High Pulls
      8 * Romanian Deadlift

Rope Slams (4 sets)

20 seconds on, 40 seconds off
      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Tuesday night, 45 minutes of 11-a-side astro
        ~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday night, 60 minutes of 5-a-side astro
        ~~~~~~~~

Thursday night,

Decline Bench Press
        10 * 35kg
        8 * 50kg
        5 * 75kg
        5 * 75kg
        5 * 75kg
        5 * 75kg
        5 * 75kg

Bent Over Barbell Row
        5 * 55kg
        5 * 75kg
        5 * 75kg
        5 * 75kg
        5 * 75kg

Conditioning Sets (5 sets, 45 second break between sets)
        Press Ups 25 seconds
        Inverted Rows 25 seconds
        Reverse Lunges (step down) 45 seconds
        Bear Crawls 30 seconds
        Step Ups 45 seconds
        Floor Sprints 25 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
          You're crazy

There's really no need to do that many reps on the warm up sets. You're just wasting energy that could be used for your work sets.

50 to 90 is waaaaay too big of a jump plus 10 reps at 90 is basically another workset. No wonder it takes you long to recover!

Just for one session try something like this:

8 * 20kg
          6 * 40kg
          4 * 60kg
          2 * 75kg
          1 * 90kg
          8 * 100kg
          8 * 100kg
          8 * 100kg
          8 * 100kg
          8 * 100kg

Still a ton of reps but not as insane as you're doing at the moment.Then, let me know if you feel any difference. Throw in some mobility stuff if you're worried you wont be warmed up properly.
          Not quite the same as you suggested unfortunately, but my trainer is insistent that I need the extra reps for conditioning, and given I'm still about two stone overweight he's probably right

Back Squats
          10 * 20kg
          10 * 70kg
          10 * 100kg
          10 * 100kg
          10 * 100kg
          10 * 100kg

Lumberjack Press
          10 * 17.5kg
          10 * 17.5kg
          8 * 22.5kg
          8 * 22.5kg

Kneeling Chins
          10 * 4 sets

Walking lunges

4 * 6 per leg * 25kg per arm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again there's a big big jump between 20-70kg in the warm up sets, but in truth I should probably be starting at around 40kg for the first warm-up. As it's probably not clear from my posts I do a warm up before every session consisting of

2 sets of 10 per exercise

Band Pull Aparts
          BodyWeight Squats
          Band Dislocates
          Wall Slides
          Bodyweight Lunges
          Plank get ups
          Mountain Climbs
          Hamstring Stretches (and boy do I need those, I think I have the tighest hamstrings and calves on the planet)

Comment

Some nights, the tank is just empty...

TB Deadlift
            10 * 50kg
            10 * 100kg
            10 * 140kg
            10 * 140kg
            10 * 140kg
            10 * 140kg

8 * Clean
            8 * Push Press
            8 * Back Squat
            8 * High Pulls
            8 * Romanian Deadlift

Comment

I'd be pretty sure the volume is wrecking you. I dont really know how it couldnt be. With proper form direct injuries wont happen but indirectly you wont recover as fast, you'll feel very tired, you'll eventually get injured through fatigue.

I also dont understand the trainer saying you need extra reps of such a heavy weight for conditioning. Doesnt really make any sense to me.
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                I'd be pretty sure the volume is wrecking you. I dont really know how it couldnt be. With proper form direct injuries wont happen but indirectly you wont recover as fast, you'll feel very tired, you'll eventually get injured through fatigue.

I also dont understand the trainer saying you need extra reps of such a heavy weight for conditioning. Doesnt really make any sense to me.
                Yeah, pretty much tired all the time when training but then that's part and parcel of getting so out of shape in the first place. It's fatigue driven obviously, with the last set of each being difficult, but that should mean that I'm there or thereabouts on the weight I would have thought.

I think the point is that I could probably do 160kg for 10's at this point. So by taking a lower weight, keeping the reps high, and taking a shorter break period there's a conditioning element to it.

In part it's the whole being back playing football as well, it means that I'm training five days in a row and not really getting decent rest periods. That should be manageable but I'm not getting any younger and I'm still out of decent shape. In a few weeks I would hope that I'll have adapted again to the heavier workload and be blazing through it.

Comment

Genuinely think you should revisit your programme with your trainer.

I dont have any degree or formal qualifications in the matter but I know from experience and from picking the brain of quite a few people at the top end of the fitness industry here that something isnt right.

You may achieve your goals, fair enough but there are probably better ways to do it.

Just something to think about tell me to GTFO if you want. I think though in your case, a positive injury status is the main goal and strength has a positive correlation with that.

Fat loss is pretty much diet.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Just to add, I think that way because you really shouldnt be so tired all the tiime when training. There will def be days where its not there like you say but all the time is excessive and a path to burnout and motivation loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                      Just to add, I think that way because you really shouldnt be so tired all the tiime when training. There will def be days where its not there like you say but all the time is excessive and a path to burnout and motivation loss.
                      No problem receiving advice, everything is much appreciated.

I'll have a chat with him and see, I'd also not underestimate my ability to winge and moan even when things aren't too bad

I mean I might be tired but I get through a full days work, I go to training/football and I can complete everything I need to (the vast majority of the time) so it's not like I'm fatigued all day or anything.

I may just need a serious does of "man the fuck up" and just getting on with it!

Comment

Tuesday night, 60 minutes of 11-a-side astro
                        ~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday night, 60 minutes of 5-a-side astro
                        ~~~~~~~~

Tonight

Decline Bench Press
                        10 * 20kg
                        8 * 50kg
                        6 * 75kg
                        6 * 75kg
                        6 * 75kg
                        6 * 80kg

Bent Over Barbell Row
                        8 * 60kg
                        8 * 80kg
                        8 * 80kg
                        8 * 80kg
                        8 * 80kg

Conditioning Sets (5 sets, 45 second break between sets)
                        Press Ups 25 seconds
                        Inverted Rows 25 seconds
                        Reverse Lunges (step down) 45 seconds
                        Step Ups 45 seconds
                        Floor Sprints 25 seconds

Comment

Back Squats
                          10 * 20kg
                          10 * 40kg
                          6 * 80kg
                          6 * 110kg
                          6 * 110kg
                          6 * 110kg

Back Extensions
                          12 * BW * 3 sets

Prowler + 80kg
                          10 * 45 secs on, 15 secs off

I'm pretty sure I miscounted my squat sets this morning and only did 3 at 110kg instead of 4 so that's all I'm claiming. Think I may well have done 7 reps rather than 6 on one of the sets as well.

Moral of the story kids, don't train before lunchtime or suffer brain freeze

Comment

TB Deadlift
                            10 * 60kg
                            8 * 100kg
                            8 * 140kg
                            8 * 160kg
                            8 * 160kg
                            8 * 160kg

8 * Clean
                            8 * Push Press
                            8 * Back Squat
                            8 * High Pulls
                            8 * Romanian Deadlift

Comment

Decline Bench Press
                              8 * 60kg
                              8 * 70kg
                              6 * 80kg
                              6 * 80kg
                              6 * 80kg
                              6 * 80kg

Bent Over Barbell Row
                              8 * 45kg
                              8 * 75kg
                              8 * 75kg
                              8 * 75kg
                              8 * 75kg

Incline Bench Press
                              5 * 60kg
                              5 * 55kg
                              8 * 50kg
                              8 * 50kg
                              8 * 50kg

Seated Pulley Row
                              8 * 52.5kg
                              8 * 52.5kg
                              8 * 52.5kg
                              8 * 52.5kg

Followed by 40 minutes of 11-a-side astro.

Incline bench was beyond poor, obviously fried myself on the decline bench. First set at 60kg on the incline felt like I was trying to lift a car, second set at 55 wasn't much better.

Was due to finish with a couple of sets of press-ups and inverted rows, but cramped right down my left quad and calf after about 4 press-ups so called it a night. By the time I got to football it had eased up and I played 40 minutes without any problems.

Normally disappointed when I'm taken off, and while I was a little, we were 5 up and my race was well and truly run. Legs felt like lead at that stage.

Comment

Back Squats
                                10 * 20kg
                                10 * 50kg
                                6 * 90kg
                                6 * 110kg
                                6 * 115kg
                                6 * 115kg
                                6 * 120kg

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
                                10 * 17.5kg
                                8 * 22.5kg
                                8 * 22.5kg
                                6 * 22.5kg

Band Assisted Chins
                                8 * 4 sets

Walking lunges

1 * 8 per leg * 22.5kg per arm
                                3 * 8 per leg * 25kg per arm

Comment

Couple of short videos if anybody is interested

The first one is from Dec 22nd and is my current PB on the trap bar at 200kg. A little rocky starting out, have worked out that my legs were too far forward causing a mini swinging motion at the start of the first rep. Have adjusted my position and it doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The second one is from tonight, a set of 115kg Back Squats. I think the first 4 are fine, but 5/6 are starting to get a little shallow and 6 in particular has a hint of a good morning about it

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Still work to do on my technique but getting better all the time and the weight keeps going up so progress continues

Comment

Deadlift: As you spotted you are too far back when starting. The shortest path is the best, so you should be starting with the centre of the bar somewhere between mid-foot and heel. Also you should do regular deadlifts also imo. The trap bar you are using is the type with raised handles, so the ROM is reduced.
                                    Is the first plate (red) bigger than normal, or are the others smaller?

Squats: You have it pretty well covered above, just try keep upright on the last reps. It might help at a point a little higher on the wall. Say 6 inches above eye level.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                      Deadlift: As you spotted you are too far back when starting. The shortest path is the best, so you should be starting with the centre of the bar somewhere between mid-foot and heel. Also you should do regular deadlifts also imo. The trap bar you are using is the type with raised handles, so the ROM is reduced.
                                      Is the first plate (red) bigger than normal, or are the others smaller?
                                      Yeah, it only started becoming a problem as the weights really moved up. Started to watch back some lifts and it was clear that I was starting too far forward. It was always only the first rep, but having corrected it now I don't seem to have the same issues. No swing = less momentum = tougher first rep though

Going to move to doing regular deadlifts now alongside the trap bar, at first I didn't have the flexibility to get down for the regular bar but that's improved a lot over the last 9 months so I'm going to work on getting the regular lifts up as well.

The red plate is bigger than the rest, they're 50kgs each (I think) and are a separate set to the rest of the plates. Much wider than the rest.

Hoping to go past 220kg in the next couple of weeks on the trap bar, might have been there in December but should be there now.

Squats: You have it pretty well covered above, just try keep upright on the last reps. It might help at a point a little higher on the wall. Say 6 inches above eye level.
                                      Cheers, I'll give that a go. I think it was two parts fatigue, one part losing concentration which is pretty unforgivable.

Have a tendency to do that on the bench sometimes, the bar comes down and I "forget" to push it back up. Need to improve that for every single rep.

Comment

Vids look good Iago. Needs moarrrr weight. You're well capable of going much heavier. Cautious progress is good though.

Your small issues will work themselves out. Over time, your squat depth will become automatic as you get more aware of where your body is as you perform the movement i.e. kinesthetic awareness. Everything looks pretty solid as far as I can see. I'd prefer a lower bar position but that's not a big deal.

Comment

10 days off and a slight change in program meant my weights dropped a little tonight, a little disappointing but that's what happens when your routine is messed up I guess.

Bench Press
                                          10 * 20kg
                                          10 * 40kg
                                          8 * 70kg
                                          8 * 70kg
                                          6 * 70kg
                                          6 * 67.5kg
                                          10 * 40kg (strip set)

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                          10 * 15kg
                                          10 * 55kg
                                          10 * 65kg
                                          10 * 65kg
                                          10 * 65kg
                                          10 * 65kg

Incline Bench Press
                                          10 * 40kg
                                          8 * 50kg
                                          8 * 50kg
                                          8 * 50kg

Seated Pulley Row
                                          8 * 52.5kg
                                          8 * 52.5kg
                                          8 * 52.5kg
                                          8 * 52.5kg

Dumbbell Floor Press

3 * 27.5kg (abortive is the only way to describe this)
                                          6 * 25kg
                                          6 * 25kg
                                          6 * 25kg

Jump Chins
                                          5 * BW
                                          5 * BW
                                          5 * BW
                                          5 * BW

Face Pulls

10 * 59kg
                                          10 * 59Kg
                                          10 * 59Kg

Overall a reasonable session, but need to get back into and stick to a routine.

Comment

5-a-side on Wednesday
                                            - 45 minutes
                                            - Swollen and cut ankle
                                            - Hamstring Strain

Not exactly my best hour.

Needless to say squatting and deadlifting is out of the question, skipped last night completely and then had to improvise for my session tonight. Hopefully should be cleared up this time next week (mind you I'll be in Amsterdam Thurs/Fri so unlikely to be doing much then anyway)

Close Grip Bench Press
                                            10 * 20kg
                                            8 * 50kg
                                            10 * 60kg
                                            8 * 60kg
                                            8 * 60kg
                                            8 * 60kg

Chest Supported Row
                                            10 * 20kg
                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                            10 * 30kg
                                            10 * 30kg
                                            10 * 30kg

Lat Pulldowns
                                            8 * 49kg
                                            8 * 49kg
                                            8 * 49kg
                                            8 * 49kg

Lateral Raises
                                            12 * 7.5kg
                                            12 * 7.5kg
                                            12 * 7.5kg
                                            12 * 7.5kg

Tricep Pulldowns
                                            8 * 69kg
                                            8 * 69kg
                                            8 * 69kg

Crossover Fly Cable
                                            8 * 47kg
                                            8 * 47kg
                                            8 * 47kg

First time doing this and technique was rubbish, will have to work on it if I'm going to incorporate them into my program.

Concerned that I've missed a lot of sessions recently with work and injuries, need to get fully disciplined and do a lot more if I'm going to hit any of my targets for the next round of testing in April.

Comment

Almost didn't go tonight because of work. Arrived late, missed the entire first set of exercises, pushed through the rest and came back and did a flat bench at the end.

Was pretty fatigued at that stage so numbers were pretty shit to be honest, feel better for going but didn't get anywhere near the most out of the session.

Incline Bench Press
                                              10 * 20kg
                                              10 * 50kg
                                              10 * 55kg
                                              10 * 55kg
                                              10 * 55kg
                                              5 * 40kg

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                              10 * 40kg
                                              10 * 55kg
                                              10 * 55kg
                                              10 * 55kg
                                              10 * 55kg

Dumbbell Floor Press

8 * 25kg
                                              7 * 25kg
                                              8 * 25kg

Jump Chins
                                              8 * BW
                                              8 * BW
                                              8 * BW

Face Pulls
                                              10 * 59kg
                                              10 * 59Kg
                                              10 * 59Kg

Bench Press
                                              10 * 20kg
                                              10 * 50kg
                                              4 * 70kg
                                              5 * 65kg
                                              6 * 60kg

Comment

The above was my last training session, I've had an unreal month with travelling for work (2 nights/ 3 days a week pretty much every week) and I've picked up a chest infection that I'm struggling to shift. No doubt the planes/hotel air con hasn't helped matters.

On the plus side it's given me a chance to try out a new low carb eating plan. As I won't be training for the rest of the week (or travelling) I said I'd kick it off this morning. I'm going to track it here to keep me on track, and also to keep something in here rather than radio silence

Aim is to stay as low on carbs as possible for 9 days before having a carb load up and then going back to low carbs again on a 6 day on, 1 day off cycle. Will see how I get on

Numbers will be approximate using myfitnesspal.com as I won't be measuring out food.

Today
                                                Calories: 1,680
                                                Carbs: 34g
                                                Fat: 104g
                                                Protein: 147g
                                                Sugar: 15g

Fat was pushed massively up by cashew nuts, but on the whole a decent start.

Comment

What's the weight loss like now Iago compared to when you started, or is that still part of the goal?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                    What's the weight loss like now Iago compared to when you started, or is that still part of the goal?
                                                    Part of the reason of looking at this new eating regime is that I've lost the run of myself after the last month. When you're travelling with work you tend to spend a lot of time away from good food choices and close to a bar/rubbish.

I'm at 205lbs now (5lbs down since the start of the New Year) but I'm actually relatively happy overall with the weight at this stage. I can still afford to lose a lot of weight, but it's no longer impacting on my life and the things I enjoy. In no small part that's down to carrying a lot more muscle, and a lot less fat than I was over the last few years.

My intention with the new eating plan is that combined with training I'm hoping to significantly reduce bodyfat without reducing weight dramatically. I'll be doing a testing session in the first week of April, so I'll have a much clearer view then.

Comment

Day two

Calories: 2,105 (wife left a 1/4lb burger and it seemed a shame to waste it....even though I'd already had two )
                                                      Carbs: 16g
                                                      Fat: 123g
                                                      Protein: 233g
                                                      Sugar: 7g

Comment

Day 3

Climbing a flight of stairs = Coughing fit
                                                        Waking in the morning = Coughing fit

Getting better slowly but going to have to leave training until Monday at this stage I think.

Calories: 1,251
                                                        Carbs: 30g
                                                        Fat: 63g
                                                        Protein: 145g
                                                        Sugar: 11g

13g of carbs from a protein & physillum husk shake, and the rest from salad & veg

I'd murder a cheese and crisp sandwich right now
                                                        Last edited by Iago; 07-03-12, 22:37.

Comment

You're not a real man unless you're over 200lbs sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                            Absolutely, but 200lbs of muscle and 200lbs of fat are very different things

Day 4

Calories: 1,254
                                                            Carbs: 33g
                                                            Fat: 61g
                                                            Protein: 127g

Comment

New goal weight MM

Comment

Day 5

Calories: 1,784
                                                                Carbs: 29g
                                                                Fat: 103g
                                                                Protein: 175g

planning to go back training on Monday, still not 100% but I need to give it a go and see how I get on.

Comment

Day 6

Calories: 1,967
                                                                  Carbs: 39g
                                                                  Fat: 137g
                                                                  Protein: 117g

Comment

Day 7

Calories: 2,252
                                                                    Carbs: 20g
                                                                    Fat: 176g
                                                                    Protein: 139g
                                                                    Sugar: 12g

Heavy calorie day today, but then drinking an entire tin of coconut milk will do that to you

Back training tomorrow and looking forward to it. Still coughing and spluttering a bit but I'm hoping that if I just stick to lifting rather than conditioning work it'll be ok.

Comment

Day 8

Calories: 1,793
                                                                      Carbs: 34g
                                                                      Fat: 105g
                                                                      Protein: 168g
                                                                      Sugar: 12g

Went back training tonight and in age old fashion when throwing coins in on the flop I had an impromptu testing session to "see where I was"

Originally posted by Testing Session 22/12/11

Bench 80kg -----------90Kg
                                                                      Press Ups 27-----------30
                                                                      Inverted Rows 22---------31
                                                                      Chins 2-----------------4
                                                                      Back Squat-------------------130kg
                                                                      Trap Bar Deadlift 160kg---------------200kg
                                                                      Testing Session 12/03/12

Bench 90kg -----------90Kg (tried and failed at 95kg)

Press Ups 27-----------?? (skipped as I'm still having issues with my breathing when exerted)

Inverted Rows 22---------?? (as above)

Chins 4-----------------5 (ground out that 5th rep, nothing there for the 6th though )

Back Squat 130kg---------------130kg (just about as well!)

Trap Bar Deadlift 200kg---------------211kg (ran out of space on the bar with no higher plates left. Taped a 0.5kg to either end to get to 211kg (a private joke) a little loose in my lower back coming up but good enough for it to count. Probably didn't have 220 in me, but again a target I hope to improve on for my next testing session.

Next target is 227kg (500.45lbs) to break that 500 barrier...even if by the smallest of margins.

All told and considering I
                                                                      1) Am recovering from a chest infection
                                                                      2) Haven't trained at all in 5 weeks
                                                                      3) Am 3.5kg lighter than my last training session

I think it went ok. Looking forward to getting to the next testing session now with hopefully a full 6 weeks of training behind me.
                                                                      Last edited by Iago; 12-03-12, 23:15.

Comment

Time to add straight bar deadlifts imo. Trap bar is a different lift, and depending on how the bar is made you mat well be missing some range of motion. For example, high TB handles is simialt yo rack pulling.

I'd both tbh, every second session trap bar, then straight bar.
                                                                        i'd expect straight bar nubmers to be lower though. 130kg to 150kg

Comment

Pretty sure TB is a lot lot easier too. I managed 140kg a few weeks back easily, yet really struggled to do 100kg on the straight bar.

Like Mellor said there's more movement in the straight bar too.

Comment

Time to add straight bar deadlifts imo. Trap bar is a different lift, and depending on how the bar is made you mat well be missing some range of motion. For example, high TB handles is simialt yo rack pulling.

I'd both tbh, every second session trap bar, then straight bar.
                                                                            i'd expect straight bar nubmers to be lower though. 130kg to 150kg
                                                                            Yep. The plan was to start incorporating them as part of the last training schedule, but I missed a ton of training so never got around to it. Will add them in for sure on this round.

I think yourself and Moneymaker are right though, I've been told to expect to lose somewhere between 15-30% once I have the technique right on both. It doesn't always happen, but we'll see how it goes.

Back in the gym tonight although I think it'll mostly be upper body, legs are fried after last night.

Comment

Pretty sure TB is a lot lot easier too.
                                                                              A trap bar removes the need to stand behind the centre of gravity. Makes its easier to get a good position for heavy sets.
                                                                              Plus a straight bar is standardised. Trap bars vary. Some have the grips on same axis as the centre, some are raised a bit reducing the ROM.
                                                                              150kg on one trap bar might be harder than 150kg on another

Comment

Pretty sure TB is a lot lot easier too. I managed 140kg a few weeks back easily, yet really struggled to do 100kg on the straight bar.

Like Mellor said there's more movement in the straight bar too.
                                                                                Ah yeah, 211kg is easy pickings alright

Tonight was shit. Wasn't feeling great physically,wasn't in the right frame of mind mentally, had fuck all energy and just generally made a nonsense of myself.

Incline Bench Press
                                                                                10 * 20kg
                                                                                8 * 60kg
                                                                                3 * 67.5kg (fried and my lift started getting wonky)
                                                                                3 * 60kg
                                                                                7 * 60kg
                                                                                6 * 60kg

Never really got back into my stride after trying to lift the weight. Should have just stayed at 60kg and worked through the session.

Chest Supported Dumbbell Row
                                                                                10 * 17.5kg
                                                                                10 * 30kg
                                                                                10 * 30kg
                                                                                10 * 30kg

Floor Press
                                                                                10 * 20kg
                                                                                8 * 40kg
                                                                                8 * 60kg
                                                                                7 * 60kg
                                                                                6 * 60kg (paused on the 6th and lost all momentum and tension, lucky it was light enough not to cause me problems)

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                                                8 * 40kg
                                                                                8 * 60kg
                                                                                8 * 60kg
                                                                                8 * 60kg

Seated Pulley Row
                                                                                12 * 63.5kg
                                                                                10 * 63.5kg
                                                                                12 * 52.5kg

Face Pulls
                                                                                12 * 53kg
                                                                                12 * 43kg
                                                                                12 * 36kg

and done.

Off tomorrow and back training on Thursday, hopefully in a better frame of mind and a better physical condition.

Comment

Calories: 1,773
                                                                                  Carbs: 43g
                                                                                  Fat: 83g
                                                                                  Protein: 179g
                                                                                  Sugar: 33g (pack of beef jerky killed this today, need to pay closer attention to nutritional info)

Comment

Wednesday
                                                                                    Calories: 1,622
                                                                                    Carbs: 11g
                                                                                    Fat: 96g
                                                                                    Protein: 149g
                                                                                    Sugar: 6g
                                                                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heading to the gym tonight so will update afterwards

Comment

Box Squats
                                                                                      10 * 20kg
                                                                                      8 * 40kg
                                                                                      8 * 80kg
                                                                                      4 * 95kg (first time doing box squats so still looking for the right weight, this wasn't it )
                                                                                      8 * 85kg
                                                                                      8 * 85kg
                                                                                      8 * 85kg

Box squats seem much tougher to me, will have to find my weight, although 85kg seems like it for now.

Seated Barbell Push Press
                                                                                      8 * 20kg
                                                                                      8 * 40kg
                                                                                      8 * 40kg
                                                                                      8 * 40kg
                                                                                      8 * 40kg

Band Assisted Chins
                                                                                      8 * BW
                                                                                      8 * BW
                                                                                      6 * BW

Reverse Lunges
                                                                                      8 per leg * BW
                                                                                      8 per leg * 15kg (per arm)

Leg Raises
                                                                                      8 * 1 set

Started to struggle a little bit with coughing and getting my breath back at that point and ended the session there.

Calories: 5,410
                                                                                      Carbs: 484g
                                                                                      Fat: 247g
                                                                                      Protein: 296g
                                                                                      Sugar: 142g

~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                                                                      - Carb Night

Calories: 1,189
                                                                                      Carbs: 18g
                                                                                      Fat: 59g
                                                                                      Protein: 141g
                                                                                      Sugar: 14g

Comment

Calories: 1,039
                                                                                        Carbs: 22g
                                                                                        Fat: 35g
                                                                                        Protein: 126g
                                                                                        Sugar: 16g

Comment

Still working my way back into it and won't be helped by travelling next week again. Hoping to get in three more sessions before I head off on Monday evening and then go Friday and Saturday when I get back so that I still get six sessions in over the two weeks.

Anyway, todays session:

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                          10 * 20kg
                                                                                          8 * 25kg
                                                                                          8 * 32.5kg
                                                                                          8 * 30kg
                                                                                          8 * 25kg
                                                                                          8 * 25kg

10 * 17.5kg
                                                                                          10 * 25kg
                                                                                          8 * 32.5kg
                                                                                          8 * 32.5kg
                                                                                          8 * 32.5kg
                                                                                          8 * 32.5kg

Floor Press
                                                                                          8 * 50kg
                                                                                          8 * 40kg
                                                                                          8 * 40kg
                                                                                          8 * 40kg

Seated Pulley Row
                                                                                          10 * 43kg
                                                                                          8 * 56kg
                                                                                          8 * 56kg
                                                                                          8 * 56kg

Bicep Curls (ez curl bar)
                                                                                          12 * 26kg
                                                                                          12 * 26kg
                                                                                          12 * 26kg

Tricep Pulldowns
                                                                                          12 * 57kg
                                                                                          12 * 57kg
                                                                                          12 * 57kg

Comment

After my last gym session I had a trip to the doctor where I was diagnosed as having hidradenitis suppurativa also known as verneuil's disease.

I had noticed a lump forming the week before under my arm and had put it down to being an ingrown hair or a blocked pore or something (had something similar about 18 months ago, and that's what the doctor figured it was) So thinking no more of it I did a couple of training sessions only for the lump to get a lot bigger and a lot sorer as a result. The following morning I wasn't able to either stretch my arm out, or close it down to my side so I went to the doctor thinking I was probably overreacting but not willing to leave it any longer.

His initial reaction was skeptical to say the least, until he saw the lump at any rate at which point his entire demeanor changed. Verneuil's disease is essentially a chronic and progressive skin disease which is caused by the plugging and blocking of the apocrine (sweat) glands that leads to abscesses and related issues. There isn't a great deal known about it as it's still quite rare (less than 1% get it) and is often misdiagnosed. There is no cure, and there is also no particular trigger that brings you from stage 1 to stage 3. They say keeping your weight down, cutting out smoking and increasing your vitamin intake can help reduce the effects and the likelihood of it getting much worse, but there are no guarantees.

In any event what it meant for me at this point was 3 weeks of antibiotics, no exertion and no travel. I've been finished the antibiotics for just over a week and the lump has gone down significantly, I went back to training on Monday night and while it was a relatively light session I'm pleased I came through it and I don't seem to have had any real adverse effects so far.

I'm stiff and sore, which is to be expected after a month off, but planning to train tomorrow night and hopefully I'll be reasonably back to normal from here on out.

Session details below:
                                                                                            ~~~~~~~~~
                                                                                            Bench Press
                                                                                            10 * 20kg
                                                                                            10 * 40kg
                                                                                            8 * 60kg
                                                                                            6 * 72.5kg
                                                                                            6 * 67.5kg
                                                                                            6 * 62.5kg

One Arm Row
                                                                                            10 * 17.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press
                                                                                            8 * 22.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 17.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 17.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 17.5kg

Chest Supported Row
                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg

Press Ups
                                                                                            1 * 12

Face Pulls
                                                                                            12 * 22kg

Comment

Hope it clears up quick Iago.
                                                                                              Had a quick wiki of it there. All seems a bit vague really. i noticed its associated with excess androgens (can a plus really) then realised it prob means in women.

anyway, hopefully its gone and you can return to the gym

Comment

Hope it clears up quick Iago.
                                                                                                Had a quick wiki of it there. All seems a bit vague really. i noticed its associated with excess androgens (can a plus really) then realised it prob means in women.

anyway, hopefully its gone and you can return to the gym
                                                                                                Thanks for the note, really appreciate it.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on it at all. What I have read so far points to me being pretty unlucky I think,

less than 1% population get it
                                                                                                3 out of 4 that get it are women
                                                                                                8 out of 10 that get it are smokers (not proven as a cause, but rather based on clinical trials and respondents)

I'm concerned with where it might go, as from what I have read it can get pretty bad once you move out of stage 1, so I'm obviously hoping I stay at stage 1 and that it is intermittent at worst.

In the meantime I'm going back training so hopefully there's no adverse effects and I can just get on with things. I've been pretty sore since Monday, although I put that down to the break rather than anything else.

Comment

Another light session to ease my way back into it, I say light but it didn't feel like it at the time, or this morning for that matter

Lumberjack Squats
                                                                                                  10 * 15kg plate
                                                                                                  10 * 25kg plate
                                                                                                  10 * 30kg plate * 3 sets

Lat Pulldown
                                                                                                  10 * 37kg
                                                                                                  10 * 49kg * 4 sets

Seated Shoulder Press
                                                                                                  10 * 17.5kg * 2 sets
                                                                                                  10 * 15kg * 2 sets

Face Pulls
                                                                                                  12 * 47kg * 4 sets

Walking Lunges

8 per leg * 15kg * 5 sets

Comment

Nice to have you back.

That sounds really nasty. It's bad enough trying to get stronger @ 100% without having stuff like that to worry about. Hopefully you can keep it under control and it doesn't affect your workouts too much going forward.

Comment

Saturday 21st

Back Squats
                                                                                                      10 * 20kg
                                                                                                      10 * 40kg
                                                                                                      8 * 60kg
                                                                                                      8 * 80kg
                                                                                                      8 * 80kg
                                                                                                      8 * 80kg
                                                                                                      8 * 80kg

Standing Push Press
                                                                                                      10 * 20kg
                                                                                                      10 * 30kg
                                                                                                      10 * 35kg
                                                                                                      10 * 35kg
                                                                                                      10 * 35kg

T-Bar Row
                                                                                                      10 * Bar+15kg
                                                                                                      10 * Bar+30kg
                                                                                                      10 * Bar+40kg
                                                                                                      10 * Bar+40kg
                                                                                                      10 * Bar+40kg

Band Assisted Chins
                                                                                                      10 * BW
                                                                                                      8 * BW
                                                                                                      8 * BW

Step Ups
                                                                                                      8 per leg * 17.5kg * 3 sets

Comment

Sunday 22nd

Bench Press
                                                                                                        10 * 20kg
                                                                                                        10 * 40kg
                                                                                                        8 * 70kg
                                                                                                        8 * 70kg
                                                                                                        8 * 70kg
                                                                                                        8 * 70kg

One Arm Row
                                                                                                        10 * 17.5kg
                                                                                                        10 * 30kg
                                                                                                        10 * 30kg
                                                                                                        10 * 30kg
                                                                                                        10 * 30kg

Floor Press
                                                                                                        8 * 40kg
                                                                                                        8 * 40kg
                                                                                                        8 * 40kg
                                                                                                        8 * 40kg

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                                                                        10 * 50kg
                                                                                                        10 * 60kg
                                                                                                        10 * 60kg
                                                                                                        10 * 60kg

Comment

Saturday 21st

Back Squats
                                                                                                          10 * 40kg
                                                                                                          10 * 60kg
                                                                                                          8 * 80kg
                                                                                                          8 * 90kg
                                                                                                          8 * 95kg
                                                                                                          8 * 95kg

Walking Lunges
                                                                                                          6 per leg * 25kg per arm * 4 sets

Kneeling Cable Crunch
                                                                                                          12 * 24kg * 4 sets

Press Ups
                                                                                                          12 * BW * 4 sets

Inverted Rows
                                                                                                          12 * BW * 4 sets

Comment

Think tonight was my first "real" full session since going back training. It's humbling, embarrassing and yet somewhat gratifying, to not be able to reach up and wash under your arms immediately after a training session Thankfully the shower head can be moved and can do the work for me!

While the weights are still lagging behind after my timeout, I'm at least starting to move in the right direction with some of them.

Anyway, tonights workout;

Bench Press
                                                                                                            10 * 20kg
                                                                                                            10 * 40kg
                                                                                                            8 * 60kg
                                                                                                            8 * 70kg
                                                                                                            8 * 70kg
                                                                                                            6 * 70kg + 2 with a little help from my spotter

One Arm Row
                                                                                                            10 * 20kg
                                                                                                            10 * 20kg
                                                                                                            10 * 30kg
                                                                                                            10 * 30kg
                                                                                                            10 * 30kg
                                                                                                            10 * 30kg

Incline Dumbbell Press
                                                                                                            8 * 25kg
                                                                                                            6 * 22.5kg (arms fried)
                                                                                                            10 * 15kg
                                                                                                            10 * 15kg

10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg
                                                                                                            10 * 27.5kg

Walking Lunges
                                                                                                            7 per leg * 20kg per arm * 4 sets

Press Ups
                                                                                                            10 * BW * 3 sets

Inverted Rows
                                                                                                            10 * BW * 3 sets
                                                                                                            Last edited by Iago; 30-04-12, 22:08. Reason: how did I forget the walking lunges :(

Comment

Back Squats
                                                                                                              10 * 40kg
                                                                                                              10 * 70kg
                                                                                                              10 * 90kg
                                                                                                              10 * 90kg
                                                                                                              10 * 90kg
                                                                                                              10 * 90kg

Step Ups
                                                                                                              8 per leg * 20kg * 3 sets

Plank
                                                                                                              40 secs * BW * 3 sets

Medicine Ball Slams
                                                                                                              30 secs * 7kg medicine ball * 4 sets

Face Pulls
                                                                                                              12 * 41kg * 4 sets

Comment

Floor Press
                                                                                                                10 * 20kg
                                                                                                                8 * 40kg
                                                                                                                10 * 60kg (because I forgot I was on 8's not 10's)
                                                                                                                8 * 65kg
                                                                                                                8 * 65kg
                                                                                                                8 * 65kg

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                                                                                10 * 20kg
                                                                                                                10 * 40kg
                                                                                                                10 * 60kg
                                                                                                                10 * 65kg
                                                                                                                10 * 65kg
                                                                                                                10 * 65kg

Band Assisted Chins
                                                                                                                8 * BW * 3 sets

Band Assisted Dips
                                                                                                                8 * BW * 3 sets

Elevated Rear Leg Split Squats
                                                                                                                10 per leg * BW
                                                                                                                10 per leg * 12.5kg * 3 sets

Press Up Rows
                                                                                                                8 per arm * 4kg * 3 sets

Comment

This week represents 1 year of work with a personal trainer. That seems as good as any a time to take stock and reflect on the highs and lows of what has gone on so far.

The Highs
                                                                                                                  - Going from 10 * BW Squats and vomiting to 6 * 120kg Squats at the end of a session & 1RM of 130kg

- Going from a TBDL of 40kg to 8 * 160kg and a 1RM of 211kg

- Going from never benching really to a 8 * 80kg and a 1RM of 90kg

- I'm a lot fitter generally, I've lost a chunk of weight (although I've been stuck at the same weight for most of the year now) and I feel healthier all round. I've lost a few inches off my waist and gained a lot of muscle.

The Lows
                                                                                                                  - A lot of my weights are just standing still, I'm not making any real progress on the secondary lifts, chins & dips in particular. Seated Shoulder Press is another one that just won't seem to move up at all

- If I do everything right, and completely change my diet I lose around 1lb a week on average. If I miss a single training session or don't completely strip the diet I gain 2lbs a week.

- I still hate training, I had hoped that by this point it would be something I'd look forward to. I enjoy the craic with the lads at the gym, but would happily never train again if I thought I'd get away with it. Although when I'm in the gym I want to see the weights go up and it becomes competitive in nature, when I've left I really don't want to go back

- Whether it's work, travel, age, a sudden consistent set of training, bad luck or a combination of all these things I seem to be picking up a lot of injuries, sickness and general malaise culminating in what I've been going through for the last couple of months.

If I actually did everything that my trainer told me to I have no doubt that I would probably be at least half, if not a full, stone lighter right now. I've tried to cheat the system and not cut everything out but it just doesn't work unless you do. When I've been discplined I've seen real changes, but as alluded to by a lot of the good posters on here; if your diet is wrong then you're going nowhere fast. I'm not helped by the amount of travel and entertaining I do with work, but I need to be more prepared and actively try and improve that side of things.

People ask me about the merits of a personal trainer and my answer is always the same. I'm effectively paying for a gym buddy. There's no doubt he's excellent and he has helped immeasurably with understanding a rounded program and he's pretty on the ball when it comes to nutrition and diet for weight loss. All of these things are secondary though, I'm paying because that means somebody is waiting for me at the gym. Therefore I have to go to the gym, whether I want to or not.

As mentioned earlier, I had hoped by now that it would have become something that I looked forward to but that hasn't happened. Certainly in part that's down to feeling that I don't have enough time to do the things I want to do and sacrificing two hours a day three days a week for training just seems a lot. It's also down to laziness of course So having somebody who is waiting for me at a specified time is a motivator to make it to the gym. It also helps on the diet side, because while I'm quite willing to lie to myself, it's a lot harder to lie to him and the rest of the lads in the gym!

Over the next year I'd hope to get myself into a routine that I'm happy doing and keep my strength at the level it's at, I'm not overly worried about gaining strength outside of wanting to see bigger numbers, but I've no real drive to do so.

I'm going to make a concerted effort on my diet for the rest of the year in the hope that I can lose about 15-20lbs over the course of the rest of the year, I've no illusions about how difficult this will be for me given my previous attempts but I now have a real short-term and clear health reason for doing so.

Thanks to those who read and occasionally comment here, it's always better when someone else is watching you in order to keep you on track

Comment

Strength is starting to come back a bit, hopefully that continues

Bench Press
                                                                                                                    10 * 20kg
                                                                                                                    8 * 50kg
                                                                                                                    8 * 70kg
                                                                                                                    8 * 70kg
                                                                                                                    8 * 70kg
                                                                                                                    8 * 65kg

One Arm Row
                                                                                                                    10 * 20kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 30kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 30kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 30kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 30kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 30kg

Incline Dumbbell Press
                                                                                                                    10 * 22.5kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 22.5kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 20kg

10 * 25kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 25kg
                                                                                                                    10 * 25kg

Prowler
                                                                                                                    Prowler +60kg 15 seconds on 45 seconds off * 2
                                                                                                                    Prowler +70kg 15 seconds on 45 seconds off * 3

Comment

Another decent session tonight I think, great to be back above bodyweight on the squat and looking to push on again from here.

Back Squats
                                                                                                                      10 * 20kg
                                                                                                                      8 * 70kg
                                                                                                                      8 * 100kg
                                                                                                                      8 * 100kg
                                                                                                                      8 * 100kg
                                                                                                                      8 * 100kg

Bicep Curls (Yeah BABY )
                                                                                                                      8 * EZ Curl Bar +20kg * 4 sets

Step Ups
                                                                                                                      8 per leg * 20kg * 4 sets

Plank Get Ups
                                                                                                                      6 per hand * BW * 4 sets

Medicine Ball Slams
                                                                                                                      30 secs * 7kg medicine ball * 4 sets

Face Pulls
                                                                                                                      12 * 41kg * 4 sets

Comment

Bit of a rushed session last night, had to squeeze it in between work and a family dinner, but got a reasonable amount of work done all the same.

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                                                        10 * 20kg
                                                                                                                        8 * 50kg
                                                                                                                        8 * 60kg
                                                                                                                        8 * 60kg
                                                                                                                        8 * 60kg

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                                                                                        10 * 50kg
                                                                                                                        10 * 50kg
                                                                                                                        10 * 50kg
                                                                                                                        10 * 50kg

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
                                                                                                                        10 * 17.5kg * 3 sets

Wide Grip Lat Pulldown
                                                                                                                        10 * 45.6kg * 3 sets

Dumbbell Walking Lunges
                                                                                                                        9 per leg * 22.5kg
                                                                                                                        9 per leg * 27.5kg
                                                                                                                        9 per leg * 27.5kg

Plank Rows
                                                                                                                        10 per arm * 6kg * 3 sets

Comment

New Program started today, let's see how we go....

Bench Press
                                                                                                                          10 * 20kg
                                                                                                                          10 * 40kg
                                                                                                                          8 * 60kg
                                                                                                                          8 * 70kg
                                                                                                                          6 * 75kg
                                                                                                                          6 * 70kg

One Arm Row
                                                                                                                          10 * 20kg
                                                                                                                          10 * 30kg
                                                                                                                          10 * 30kg
                                                                                                                          10 * 30kg
                                                                                                                          10 * 30kg

Dumbbell Step Ups
                                                                                                                          16 * 22.5kg
                                                                                                                          16 * 22.5kg
                                                                                                                          16 * 22.5kg
                                                                                                                          16 * 22.5kg

Plank Rows
                                                                                                                          20 * 6kg
                                                                                                                          20 * 6kg
                                                                                                                          20 * 6kg
                                                                                                                          20 * 6kg

Press Ups
                                                                                                                          12 * BW
                                                                                                                          12 * BW
                                                                                                                          12 * BW
                                                                                                                          12 * BW

Inverted Rows
                                                                                                                          12 * BW
                                                                                                                          12 * BW
                                                                                                                          12 * BW
                                                                                                                          12 * BW

Rope Slams
                                                                                                                          15 seconds on, 45 seconds off * 4

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X