Holdem is for chumps. Variant basics ITT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holdem is for chumps. Variant basics ITT

I'll be filling this with the basics of other games for people that want to dip their toes in. As my contribution to getting the new gaf decorated, Just reserving the space for now

We should have a thread in here for that Mixed game. Which, by the way, needs another airing in February imo.
    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Yeah I'd have organised one but Im pretty busto atm. Online roll is approaching a level where I can withdraw enough for game though.

Comment

Once I get my feet under the table here I'll get one organised.
        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Yeah repeat of that game sounds nice.

Any chance of writing a bit of a basics article on triple draw zuutroy?
          Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post

Would love to see a basic 2-7TD strategy article too, although I recently discovered myself that standing pat on a dealt T7 low and betting all streets against 3 opponents is bad play.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post

Yeah that'll be in there but I wasn't going to go into too much detail, just a resource for holdem players who want to jump into a mixed game but dont wanna go trawling the net for the rules/basics of each. Seriously though, triple draw is the easiest

Comment

really looking forward to this btw.

Had never really played 5 card draw before Christmas, but my aunties and uncles wouldn't play Holdem with me.

So I learnt 5 card in about 4 minutes, and busted them all in an hour...

Comment

OK here's chapter 1. As I said, its really just a rough and ready guide to getting started. I don't have time to go into more detail:

O8:

Omaha 8 or better is like regular Omaha except that the pot is divided in two with half going to the high hand and half going to the low. The low being any 5 cards lower than 8, with straights and flushes not counting against you. Aces play both low and high.
                  Some players have trouble in the beginning figuring out what beats what on the low side. A good rule is to count backward and make a 5 digit number from your hand. The lowest 5 digit number wins. So if I have 75432 that beats your 7632A.
                  The key to beating O8 is to play 2-way hands that can win both the low and the high pot for example A2KQss is a very strong hand. Other examples of strong O8 hands are AA23ss (the nuts), A23K, A234. Beware of playing PLO hands though. A hand like 6789 is rubbish in most situation because you’re only ever fighting for half the pot with such a poor low draw and the fact that if you make a strong high hand there’s almost certainly going to be a possible low out there.

Scooping the whole pot is the goal in Omaha 8. If you become the type of player who tries to hang around for half the pot you’ll be a losing player. Here’s a good description of why from O8poker.com

Originally posted by O8poker.com
                  Think of the money you put into the pot from preflop to the river as your fixed cost of entry, sort of like someone paying your entry fee to a poker tournament. Think of the money you can win as your total profit, except that you have to pay back your friend who paid the entry fee for you. Let's say the tourney cost $5 to enter. If you win $6 in prize money, your profit is $1. But if you win $9 in prize money, your profit is $4. So your profit goes up enormously if you can maximize your win PER HAND.
                  Let's take a simple example. You're the button in a pretty tight game. The cutoff seat immediately to your right bets and you call. The small blind calls and the big blind folds. So there are 7 small bets in the pot. On the flop, the cutoff bets, you call, and SB folds, so there are 9 small bets in the pot. On the turn those 9 small bets equal 4.5 big bets, and cutoff bets and you call so there are 6.5 big bets in the pot. On the river, cutoff bets and you call so there are now 8.5 big bets in the pot. So if you scoop, you win 8.5 big bets, and if you get half, you win 4.25 bets.. Now of those 8.5 big bets in the pot, you put in 2 small bets preflop, 1 small bet on the flop, 1 big bet on the turn and 1 more on the river. That's a total of 3.5 big bets.
                  So, let's recap:
                  If you scoop, you win 8.5 big bets, minus the 3.5 big bets you put in yourself, for a profit of 5.0 big bets.
                  If you split, you win 4.25 big bets, minus the 3.5 big bets you put in yourself, for a profit of 0.75 big bets.
                  That is a HUGE difference! In that example, scooping is 6 to 7 times more profitable than splitting the pot!!!
                  Getting quartered: Be very careful if you do find yourself in a pot with the nut low and no high value. If the pot is getting rammed and jammed two or 3 ways, this is a fairly sure sign that there’s another A2 out there on that 568 board and you’re actually getting a negative return on every subsequent dollar that goes into the pot.

Getting counterfeited: Again be aware of the fact that if you have say A25Q and the board comes 786 you have the nut low but when a deuce comes on the turn your hand is essentially worthless. Particularly in a multiway pot there’s a strong chance that someone has A3 or A4. It’s very important to be able to get away and not say ‘meh I have a decent low sure I’ll see what the river brings’.

Reading 4 and 5 low boards: Finally, this can be very confusing. If the board is A267 and you have A235, what do you have for a low? Is it the nuts? It takes a bit of practice to be able to do it quickly. In this case you have 62A from the board and 35 from your hand to make your best low: 6532A. The nuts would be someone holding 34 in their hand.

Comment

Originally posted by daire View Post
                    Would love to see a basic 2-7TD strategy article too, although I recently discovered myself that standing pat on a dealt T7 low and betting all streets against 3 opponents is bad play.
                    yes a made T is an underdog to anyone drawing at an 8 over 3 draws.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                      We should have a thread in here for that Mixed game. Which, by the way, needs another airing in February imo.

Will be funny to look back on strat posts in a years time.
                      Could be interesting to see how the game evolves..

Comment

Mixed game pokerstove

Comment

Working...
                        X