No announcement yet.

30 day plank challange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 14. Bumped to 100 secs so I can do 110 tomorrow in prep for the 2 minutes. Gonna start doing a small warm up just to get the blood flowing to hopefully find it a bit easier cos I'm struggling doing it cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
      When you guys fail, what is it that makes you drop? The only thing holding me back is lower back pain, I'm fine until a minute when I tried today, must be dropping it but if I try and fix it it's too late.
      For me, the other day when I did 2'45" it was my upper arms. I literally could not support myself any longer. My whole upper body was shaking. I lay prone on the ground for about 30 secs after just numb. I only had back pain when I did my first plank about 7 months ago. Like everything, you'll get used to it in time.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
        For me, the other day when I did 2'45" it was my upper arms. I literally could not support myself any longer. My whole upper body was shaking. I lay prone on the ground for about 30 secs after just numb. I only had back pain when I did my first plank about 7 months ago. Like everything, you'll get used to it in time.
        Same here... The upper arms for me also.
        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

When you guys fail, what is it that makes you drop? The only thing holding me back is lower back pain, I'm fine until a minute when I tried today, must be dropping it but if I try and fix it it's too late.
          ...Yet to fail as such, but when I stop I think it's just a mental thing for me...No real pain or overtiredness...I get it in my head it's difficult and struggle badly to breath properly, then it gets difficult very quickly and I stop..

...Today (day 10) was my most successful overall... I did my press ups first, did 15 followed 30 seconds later by 20 which is the first time I've done 20 straight (I know other's can do dozens but I struggle so much with them)... about 70 seconds planking (60 was target), and roughly 60 sit ups which is way ahead of schedule...
          ...just for the crack I attempted to do some stairs running, I'm embarrassed at my total..Ran up and down 20 times (works out at 0.29 miles lol) and nearly died for the last 3 sets ...I'm so badly out of shape it's actually disgraceful...

Comment

Ah ok I've yet to fail properly then, I just have bad form. No mirror to see myself. It's annoying because I feel like it's a breeze for a minute then oh agony in back

Comment

Day 15. 110 done no problem. I had training tonight so I incorporated it into the session.

On a personal victory note. Last Thursday, my PT added Pull ups or chin up, whatever you wanna call em, into the session. I couldn't do one!! It was very embarrassing. So I went back down on Sunday by myself and stayed there until I did two. Eventually got there. So tonight I asked him to do them. Did two no problem on my first try and for some reason just dropped off instead of going for 3. Went back a few minutes later and got the three (barely).

Small victories lads. And I don't feel like a fat bastard anymore

Comment

Fuck... Got to 145" and then fell.

Disappointed with that. Will go for a light workout and then try again.
                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                  Fuck... Got to 145" and then fell.

Disappointed with that. Will go for a light workout and then try again.
                  140" in 2nd go... Dunno, didn't feel 100% when running. Will go to bed and try again tomorrow...

Comment

Done 75" today, no problem with the abs but the lower back got really painful and I struggled a lot in the last 20" - I raised my hips a bit as advised but it was still painful

No intention of giving up though, repeating 75" tomorrow and then hopefully going for 90" on Thursday.
                    "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Day 15 and I haven't started.
                      Lol, what was I think that if get a few done in Vegas

Comment

For those with lower back pain, I imagine you're too relaxed in the started position. What I mean by this is that you're probably not activating the core and glutes whilst performing the exercise.

You need to tighten the stomach as if you were going to get punched in the gut and squeeze your glutes together. This will take the load off the spine and put it back onto the midsection.

You'll also have to learn to breathe lightly as you can't breathe normally with a tightened core.

Comment

Day 16. 2 minutes done. Did a light warm up before hand and it definitely makes a difference. So far so good.

Comment

Day 18 - 150" completed.

That was the toughest so far. It is not my back that causing the problem, but more the belly. Have a day break now apparently, so will give the cardio a rest also as did four days in a row running... Currently doing the 10k programme which is the next programme after the couch to 5k.

Have a power tower in the gym that I have only used once.. Seem like a fun equipment and looking forward to trying it out properly.
                            Last edited by pokerhand; 15-07-15, 01:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              Day 15 and I haven't started.
                              Lol, what was I think that if get a few done in Vegas
                              Finally started on day 15. Sore all over buts that's probably the last few days Demon's leaving my body

Comment

Day 12: 90" done, hated every second of it but somehow I managed to keep going, really happy!
                                "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Day 20 - 160" completed.

Decided to bump up by another 10 sec in prep for the next level. Hard but managable. Seconds seem to go really really slowly after the 2 mins mark which is annoying
                                  Last edited by pokerhand; 17-07-15, 02:00.

Comment

How does the 5 minutes target feel now Pokerhand?

Day 16 done for me

Comment

How does the 5 minutes target feel now Pokerhand?

Day 16 done for me
                                      Dodgy as fuck

Have a feeling 3min - 3 1/2 mins is going be my ceiling. I will try but it is starting to get very mental now... So am not sure.

BTW. I am not really doing weights as focusing on cardio. I am in middle of week 9 of the 14 weeks of the 10k programme but will like to be doing weights also. Is it best to have alternative days for the weights/cardio or do them on the same day?

Comment

Day 19. Supposed to be my rest day but I attempted 150 secs today cos I failed yesterday. Failed again today. Got to 2 mins 10 secs and 2 mins 15 secs. Literally couldn't hold it anymore. I went a bit mad on the booze for my bday so I'm hoping that's the reason. Next two days are both 150 so should get there. Hopefully. Finding it very tough now though.

Comment

BTW. I am not really doing weights as focusing on cardio. I am in middle of week 9 of the 14 weeks of the 10k programme but will like to be doing weights also. Is it best to have alternative days for the weights/cardio or do them on the same day?
                                          Do what ever fits your schedule. I like to double up weights and cardio after (when I bother to do cardio) so that my rest days are total rest.

Comment

cardi is my rest day :P

Not really following along with a program but gone from 30 seconds to 120 seconds in the last week or so, doing it ever second day.

Comment

cardi is my rest day :P

Not really following along with a program but gone from 30 seconds to 120 seconds in the last week or so, doing it ever second day.
                                              GFYT. I hate you.

Comment

I had done some 30 seconds planks the week before that so it's not all that, I'd say i'll have a hard time from here on out, form is very all over the place with different things hurting randomly. 120s was hard today, leaning too much on my arms I think, but it's always the back failing.

Comment

Day 21 150" - day 22 180"

Day 21 was a total failure. I did my cardio workout and then did the plank. Fell on around 120. I was just knackered and didn't fancy trying again.

Day 22, went in cold after a day shopping and decided to go for the 180. Risky but given I was able to do 160 two days ago I felt it was fair enough to go for it. 180" completed

Comment

Day 18, 150s done

Comment

Day 18, 150s done
                                                      How are you finding it?

Comment

How are you finding it?
                                                        It’s going ok. I only jumped in at day 15 though. Biggest issue is remembering to do it. I’ve also been doing a shoulder stretching routine for this month too so I try to incorporate it with that.

150 was survivable but tough, have to do it twice more, so I might add a bit more on to make the 180 jump smaller.

Comment

Day 22. My first attempt at 3 minutes. Get the fuck in! Was barely hanging on but made it. I did it at the end of my circuit class tonight and my trainer did it with me and the rest of the class cheered us on. I can honestly say if they weren't there I would have dropped around 2'40. Great to know I can actually do it. I can't see myself hitting 5 minutes or even 4 minutes tbh. 3 minutes took everything I have.

Comment

Day 22. My first attempt at 3 minutes. Get the fuck in! Was barely hanging on but made it. I did it at the end of my circuit class tonight and my trainer did it with me and the rest of the class cheered us on. I can honestly say if they weren't there I would have dropped around 2'40. Great to know I can actually do it. I can't see myself hitting 5 minutes or even 4 minutes tbh. 3 minutes took everything I have.
                                                            Were you still the while time?
                                                            Last edited by pokerhand; 21-07-15, 01:13.

Comment

Day 24 - 210" completed.

Oh god... That was brutal, last 10 secs were murder... But wierdly seeing the clock helped as was just telling myself just a few secs more. For the 1st 2 mins I just closed my eyes so to visualise other things.

Really shocked at that... Starting to think maybe it is doable after all! Now excuse me while I go and vomit...

Comment

Were you still the while time?
                                                                No. There was a lot of shaking around the two minute mark.

Comment

Day 21 - 170sec done
                                                                  Breaking up the 30 sec increase is definitely easier.
                                                                  180 tonight, then 195/210/225/ before the rest day

Comment

done 120, going for 150 tomorrow, running a day late, completely forgot about it yesterday!

Comment

180sec/3mins done, was easier than 170sec, could have kept going

Comment

Forgot to do day 23,
                                                                        Day 24, 210 seconds complete.
                                                                        A week to go

Comment

Miss a day or two due to work. Just did day 27... 240".

Really delighted with that, did it couple hours earlier and fell on 180". Think the fail only warmed me up for the second attempt and Mellor post spurred me on to try again. As flying home tomorrow. Might try to go for the 300 as would be nice to finish this before I leave for ireland...

So big day tomorrow lads
                                                                          Last edited by pokerhand; 25-07-15, 08:22.

Comment

Haven't been posting because I can't get over 200 seconds. Seems 3 minutes is my maximum. Gonna keep trying though and see how long it takes.

Comment

#98
                                                                              Miss a day or two due to work. Just did day 27... 240".

Really delighted with that, did it couple hours earlier and fell on 180". Think the fail only warmed me up for the second attempt and Mellor post spurred me on to try again. As flying home tomorrow. Might try to go for the 300 as would be nice to finish this before I leave for ireland...

So big day tomorrow lads
                                                                              Did you attempt 300?
                                                                              I took a rest day Sunday and did 240 last night. I held on but it was a struggle from the 3 min mark. Strangely I felt better at the 3 min mark on the previous 210.
                                                                              Maybe it's was mental or just an off day (Deadlifts earlier?)

3 days left

Comment

#99
                                                                                Day 28: 260
                                                                                Day 29: 280

Done. Nearly there now. All over the place on that last one

Comment

Still can't get over the 220 mark. Did you get the 300 poker hand?

Comment

Still can't get over the 220 mark. Did you get the 300 poker hand?
                                                                                    Not yet... Haven't tried as have been busy travelling, catching up with family and friends... Won't have time till next Monday where I will start from day 26 again...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    X