Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyper Grinding

The Plan:
    I deposited $60 into pokerstars to play Hyper 6max $1.50 sng's, I am just 4 tabling and hopefully won't go any more than that.

The plan is to obviously move up stakes as I go along. Once my bankroll is >40x the buyin I play my session on that stake.
    So if bankroll is $280(40x$7) I start 4 sng's and once completely if the bankroll is <$280 I drop down to $3.50 games until I breach $280 again. I am not sure if this will work out as it has been a long time since I have done any br management whatsoever but sure it passes the time rather than reading stupid stuff sure

The levels:
    $3.50($140+), $7($280+), $15($600+), $30($1200+), $60($2400+)... if I make it this far then I'll see what the story is

The story so far:
    I started this on the 4th of August with a $60 deposit and have played 6 of the 7 days since. I am hoping to update this blog after every day just to keep track as my notepad is a mess right now. If it doesn't work out so be it but tis worth a try and keeping track.
    Anyways here it is

Stats:
    Starting Bankroll 04/08/2013: $60
    Bankroll at end of 10/08/2013: $140.59

$1.50 games played: 481 with $83.8 profit
    $3.50 games played: 26 with $3.21 loss
    total games played: 507.

Overall Profit/Loss: +$80.59
    Current Level: $3.50 - Currently VIP Level: Just made Silverstar(will work out vpp + fpp's made soon)

Not the prettiest I could do with sharkscope but I just want to show the graph for just these games, the lines are on a $100 scale. I don't have a sharkscope/tournament parser account just yet so this'll have to do

I know the graph only shows ~+66 instead of +80, it'll be +14 off for the entirety of the graphs unfortunately until I get a sharkscope(messy I know).
    Go big or go homeless.

Let me know if there's anything you want Skarkscope'd and i'll do it for you.

Comment

40 buy ins/level is verrry brave, best of luck man

Comment

Originally posted by Gerrard92 View Post
        40 buy ins/level is verrry brave, best of luck man
        Well if you look closely it isn't ever really 40 buyins. If I have >40 buyins in a level I play a 4-table session and if I go below the 40 buyins I move down stakes and I am left with a minimum of 72 buyins on the level below that.

The initial grind from $60 to the $140 level was just with 40 buyins but if I can't beat the $1.50 level what hope have I of success really
        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

One super annoying thing happened earlier which is gonna mess up my graph big time so I will be avoiding all graphs now I reckon
          SPOILER

Had the filters set to $1.50 games but had been on $3.50 earlier, the client crashed and when I reopened it I was still in games so didn't pay close attention to the lobby - so I played 2 more sessions where I only got 1 second place in all 8 games and it turned out the lobby had reset to $3.50 games so I lost a lot more than I should have. Cashed in 2 of the milestone's and put the bankroll back to what it should be and played away on the $1.50's. Probably should grind it back but had a headache a lot of today so didn't want to get more annoyed

Had an amazing start on the $3.50's and was up 10+ buyins in 4 sessions but then I had a horrific downswing with a lot of bad plays and didn't cash in 22 games on the trot which put me back down to $126 and into $1.50 sessions. Didn't get huge volume in with the gaa and stuff but it was alright I guess, with the start of the day was just very disappointed that I finished at a loss but played very poor and headache and the spoilered stuff irked me so tomorrow is another day etc etc

Stats:
          Starting Bankroll 11/08/2013: $140.59
          Bankroll at end of 11/08/2013: $134.43

$3.50 games played: 32 with $14.38 loss
          $1.50 games played: 48 with $8.22 profit
          total games played: 80

Overall Profit/Loss: $-6.16
          Current Level: $1.50

Played very poor today so a small loss isn't the worst

Edit:
          vpp and fpp ratio's:
          Every $1.50 = 0.55 vpp, and currently 0.83 fpp's per sng
          $3.50 = 0.99 vpp, currently 1.49 fpp per sng

Just writing this so I have it on record rather than searching again. Will use all fpp's in the satellite games and avoid all store items/tournaments
          Last edited by mdoug; 12-08-13, 03:48.
          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post

Edit:
            vpp and fpp ratio's:
            Every $1.50 = 0.55 vpp, and currently 0.83 fpp's per sng
            $3.50 = 0.99 vpp, currently 1.49 fpp per sng

Just writing this so I have it on record rather than searching again. Will use all fpp's in the satellite games and avoid all store items/tournaments
            If you are in it for the long haul there is a good value cash bonus for around 50k vpps.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
              If you are in it for the long haul there is a good value cash bonus for around 50k vpps.
              Hopefully there for the long haul but can't no for sure until I see how it goes, but that'd be a while lot of sng's!
              Where is the good cash bonus for 50k? I see one for 40 but you need to be supernova which I'd never make at this stage
              Found this site -> http://www.fpppro.com/best-fpp-value.php
              and worked out that playing the satellites(boy is there going to be a lot) should be much more favourable than 0.012 and that was including if I ran bad unless I missed something in the shop. Would much prefer not spending hours on fpp sat's so please do share
              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Yea, it's the 40k one I was thinking off. The Sunday Storm sats are the way to go otherwise. Would suggest letting them build up for a good while either way, your time will be better spent trying to hit gold or platinum.

You've actually given me a bit of motivation to grind again, will be trying to do similar to yourself at the turbos. I just can't handle the swings of the hypers.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                  Yea, it's the 40k one I was thinking off. The Sunday Storm sats are the way to go otherwise. Would suggest letting them build up for a good while either way, your time will be better spent trying to hit gold or platinum.

You've actually given me a bit of motivation to grind again, will be trying to do similar to yourself at the turbos. I just can't handle the swings of the hypers.
                  Yeah I literally had to start from the lowest level so that sucked but after a weeks play I'm pretty sure I'm going to make goldstar for the month which will be handy, I don't think I will make Platinum until I reach $7 games and I'd have to play almost every day

p.s. forgot to mention that site hasn't been updated since 2010 - very easy to calculate yourself though
                  $10 reward - 0.01, $25 - 0.011, $75 - 0.012, $200 - 0.01298. Not going to do anything anytime soon anyway so no need to worry about it too much

Good luck with the grind
                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Am altering the overall plan of this slighty to allow for a bit of leeway once I move up stakes as you'll see from today's summary it really only gives you 1 shot and you have to spend ages switching things in the lobby and grinding back etc etc. Would rather have 2 or 3 bullets

The change of overall plan is that instead of reaching 40x of the next buyin I must reach 46x(might increase this to 50 but probably not) and I drop back down if I go below 40x as before. I think this will work out a lot better for me overall, this will go into effect as of tomorrow. Played one session too many tonight really

So today's full summary went like this

Stats:
                    Starting Bankroll 12/08/2013: $134.43
                    Bankroll at end of 12/08/2013: $186.07(played one session too many and lost 4x badly)

Moved up to $3.50 on $142.29 - $7.86 profit
                    Moved down to $1.50 on $135.26 - 7.03 loss
                    Moved up to $3.50 on $141.50 - $6.24 profit
                    Moved down to $1.50 on $127.50 - $14 loss
                    Moved up to $3.50 on $142.02 - $14.52 profit
                    Moved down to $1.50 on $139.86 - $2.18 loss
                    Moved up to $3.50 on $147.72 - $7.86 profit

$3.50 games played: 56 with $15.16 profit
                    $1.50 games played: 44 with $36.48 profit
                    total games played: 88

Overall Profit/Loss: $+51.64
                    Current Level: $3.50
                    Next step: Play $3.50's until either $322 is hit or $140

Should be pretty clear why I would rather grind out those 6 extra buyins before I move up, could do more but I like 46 in this instance. Will test it out and alter if it does not work

This was fucking annoying though in a $3.50 game
                    SPOILER

21:03:24 ET
                    Seat 1: alexxxxx (14 in chips)
                    Seat 3: me (1136 in chips)
                    Seat 5: phelixxxx (1850 in chips)

21:06:40 ET
                    Seat 1: alexxxxx (1453 in chips)
                    Seat 5: phelixxxx (1547 in chips)
                    arggghhhh! vent over
                    my own fault as I should have had his 14 chips during the hand before but wasn't paying enough attention

New level goals:
                    $3.50 - $161. $7 - $322. $15 - $690
                    Last edited by mdoug; 13-08-13, 03:58.
                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

am retiring for the day early due to frustration. started off today with 8 straight no cashes and then planned on not playing but plans fells through and I was feeling pretty tilted and spewed off many many buyins. Played truly horrific but other stuff made me pissed off but am planning on getting an ethernet cable tomorrow and then going into full grinding mode for the weekend
                      a shocking day but tbh apart from the first 16 sng's or so, I deserved to lose after that. Played some shocking poker altogether, first 16 were just very unlucky but should be able to handle that at this stage - life tilt affects poker blehhh

Probably will not play any poker tomorrow, if I do it'll be small so will update Thursday either way

Stats:
                      Starting Bankroll 13/08/2013: $186.07
                      Bankroll at end of 13/08/2013: $116.03

Moved down to $1.50 on $130.07 - $56(16 straight buyins) loss

$3.50 games played: 16 with $56 loss
                      $1.50 games played: 102 with $14.04 loss
                      total games played: 118

Overall Profit/Loss: $-70.04
                      Next step: Play $1.50's until either $161 or bust
                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

just out of interest have you got a current picture or indeed the final picture if it's over of the famous money bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                          just out of interest have you got a current picture or indeed the final picture if it's over of the famous money bottle?
                          I actually posted the final picture at christmas of that but I bought a present for someone instead of going to vegas. Have actually started using it again and have pretty much exact same as what I had the last time I did it - will take a pic tomorrow and edit this post and throw it up for ya
                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Said I wasn't going to play much today but stayed in because hurt my ankle like a fool

Stats:
                            Starting Bankroll 14/08/2013: $116.03
                            Bankroll at end of 14/08/2013: $135.23

$3.50 games played: 0
                            $1.50 games played: 69(oooooh yeah)
                            total games played: 69

Overall Profit/Loss: $+19.20

Have changed from just 4 tabling to constant regging as the games are very slow to fill on weekdays I have found out

Was toying with the idea of withdrawing x amount each week but worked out I have played 862 games.... with a mere 75.23 profit so like 9 cents profit a game! So that's around $1.75 an hour..... I need to keep the br and move up stakes, fast!!!
                            Sigh br management is boring
                            Last edited by mdoug; 15-08-13, 04:01.
                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

After the edit last night with me working out my hourly's etc I thought about it a lot today and have decided I am going to use my fpp's on satellites each week and put all the money earned through them back into the bankroll so that I can move up stakes quicker - either that or invest some money
                              I am not strapped for cash at the moment so it would be the perfect time to invest in a bankroll and at least find out if this will work or not. The current hourly just is not good enough, I will be re-evaluating this sometime next week, have to wait for a 20m ethernet cable to be delivered as Rigger will testify my living room is not a location where poker is possible to be played, and the wireless does not connect well enough in my room.

All of my most profitable sessions have been played between the hours of 2am and 6am, I am not sure if this is because there are more fishy Canadians online or if the silence is helping me but it is something I am definitely aware of. For example today I played when I woke up, and lost at least $15 and then tonight I turned ~120 into 153 on 1.50's. Anyway enough rambling

Stats:
                              Starting Bankroll 15/08/2013: $135.23
                              Bankroll at end of 15/08/2013: $154.13

$1.50 games played: 56 with $18.90 profit
                              total games played: 56

Overall Profit/Loss: $+18.90

For Arazi, warning I didn't bother resizing hah
                              SPOILER
                              it looks like there is a lot more than the last time but there are a lot less notes in this one. Guesstimation of ~850-950. This shall not be used for vegas of any year, just a handy way of saving money for the little plans I got

edit: yeeeehawwwwwwwwwwww small victory but have got 2 silver sharkscope stars! I have only started playing since the 7th of August so am honestly very happy with this. Am not sure if this means I am ready to move straight up to the $7 games like I am planning to but even if I break even on the 7's I will be making much more on rakeback than my current hourly's.
                              Once the cable comes I will probably invest €250 more and then hopefully withdraw ~5% of my bankroll each week to put into savings
                              Last edited by mdoug; 16-08-13, 05:38.
                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Came back super drunk and lost a few buyins last night but like 5-7 max, today however I lost a lot more . Nothing went right in any of the sessions so calling it an early night with the semi final tomorrow I doubt I'll be sober enough to play either. Hefty loss

Stats:
                                Starting Bankroll 14/08/2013: $154.13
                                Bankroll at end of 14/08/2013: $127.61

$1.50 games played: 79 with $26.52 loss
                                total games played: 79

Overall Profit/Loss: -$26.52
                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Play will resume once ethernet cable arrives, probably another 2-4 days. Am enjoying the break to be honest and have decided I am going to invest more money into this as I want to see if it is plausible to make enough money off of this for the current goals.
                                  Will be back playing by next Monday night at the absolute latest but hopefully Friday
                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

ethernet cable arrived today - going to start this back up within the next 2 days now
                                    starting bankroll of $400 this time around for the lolz. Unfortunately never made gold star which sucks
                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

The 6 mans tilted me a bit today so am actually considering moving to 90 and 180 mans if this doesn't work - am going to give it a 2 week trial period

Stats:
                                      Starting Bankroll 14/08/2013: $400
                                      Bankroll at end of 14/08/2013: $346.25

$7 games played: 91 with $53.75 loss
                                      total games played: 91

Overall Profit/Loss: $-53.75
                                      Current Level: $7
                                      Next step: Play $7's until either $690 or $280

On the plus side I played some cash games to get some vpp's and

In a weeks time if I am still enjoying this somewhat and breaking even/making profit then I will work out the hourly's but after a lot of thought today I think I will move to 180 and 90 mans again as it really worked out before but that was on lower levels
                                      ~8 buyin loss on the day
                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Being honest I have completely forgot to play poker for the last 2 weeks because I have been drinking.
                                        true story
                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                        X