Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Ireland

Hello everyone,

I'm a professional MS/HS player planning on moving to Dublin. I've already scheduled my PPSN appointment. People warned me that I will need to state a reason to obtain a PPSN and gave me some tips. But I was wondering if I can say that I'm a professional poker player and still get number? How socially acceptable is gambling in Ireland? Should I rather stick with the driver license reason then telling the truth?

What country are you from?

Comment

Moving to Ireland

I'm from Croatia, so EU member.
      Last edited by SirHTG; 20-03-17, 10:06.

Comment

This page might be useful.

EEA nationals have the right to travel to Ireland and do not require a residence permit to remain here. There are however some limits on these rights.

If you are only planning on being here to play poker I'm not sure you need a ppsn as you will not need to pay tax on any poker earnings here. However, I'm mostly speculating as I don't know how it will work in reality.

For 3 months anyhow there are no conditions or restrictions on what you do here, but you need to satisfy other conditions then. From reading the above link having private health insurance here and sufficient savings (however they define that) may be enough.

Hopefully someone in a similar situation can confirm for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SirHTG View Post
          Hello everyone,

I'm a professional MS/HS player planning on moving to Dublin. I've already scheduled my PPSN appointment. People warned me that I will need to state a reason to obtain a PPSN and gave me some tips. But I was wondering if I can say that I'm a professional poker player and still get number? How socially acceptable is gambling in Ireland? Should I rather stick with the driver license reason then telling the truth?

The reason you need it surely has nothing to do with being a poker player ?

Comment

If you need to obtain any social services you need a PPS OP, as of now poker winnings are not taxed in Ireland, but one thing I would say is, its probably better safe than sorry, say you need access to public services, or need to do a bit of work its the first thing they would ask for. (I know your main income is poker, but say you needed to do anything else)

Its just a social security number like any other. This should not bring you into the spotlight in anyway, so no need to be worried.

Comment

TX everyone for the replies.

I probably need to explain my situation a bit better. Basically, I want to move to Ireland to become here a tax resident since AFAIK in Ireland there are still no taxes on gambling winnings. That's the ultimate goal.

Now, the first step would be to get a PPSN,right? Does getting a PPSN guarantee that I'm an Irish tax resident?
              Anyway people told me that the welfare office needs a reason from the PPSN applicant why he needs it and so I was wondering if I could tell him the truth and state that I'm a professional gambler or do I need to find a decent reason like finding a job or obtaining a drivers license.

Comment

I think the only thing that counts towards being tax resident here I'd that you spend more than 183 days here in a tax year. Apparently you can't get a ppsn unless you need it, which it sounds like you won't?

Looking for work is not a reason for you to get one according to this page.

Your Personal Public Service (PPS) number is a unique reference number that helps to you access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland.

Comment

Basically my case is similar to this ONE.
                  So basically I need a PPSN to open a bank account so that I could withdraw my money. So if I would decide one day to send it back to Croatia the Revenue Commision would confirm to the Croatian Tax Authorities that the money is ''clean''.

Nobody thinks that stating the truth would help me gain a PPSN as they are mainly worried about me not abusing the welfare system. Maybe Skrill, Neteller, Bank Account balances might help?

Comment

I don't see any reason to not tell them the truth. They will be confused and interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                      I don't see any reason to not tell them the truth. They will be confused and interested.
                      To get a PPSN though you need to have a reason to get one. The easiest way for the OP is to actually get a job over here and as soon as your PPSN comes in, quit, considering you don't actually want to have a normal job. Not sure how amenable to that you'd be though.

Comment

When I moved to Ireland in 2002 myself and family went to Buncrana and registered for our PPS numbers. None of us were working and none of us claiming any benefit.

No questions were asked. I was still earning money as I was on Maternity leave and had a good wage come in until my partner at the time found a job.

We didn't need to explain a thing. Just went in and did it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                          When I moved to Ireland in 2002 myself and family went to Buncrana and registered for our PPS numbers. None of us were working and none of us claiming any benefit.

No questions were asked. I was still earning money as I was on Maternity leave and had a good wage come in until my partner at the time found a job.

We didn't need to explain a thing. Just went in and did it.
                          Ye, as UK citizens there are no restrictions or questions asked, for other EU/EEA citizens it isn't the same. It's a much different process as ye basically have the same right to live and work here as Irish people.

Comment

ID, proof of address and a letter from the bank stating you need a PPS number to open a bank account will do you.

As for abusing the welfare system, you more than likley would not be entitled to any.
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

A friend of mine finding it so difficult to open bank acc get pps No at the min, main problem appears to be a utilty bill. hes irish turned 18 an absolute nightmare.

I work for a sales company and the amount of non national customers signing up just because they need something with their name on it is unreal!

I think maybe best bet is get an address obv first join a 30 day sim only plan with a phone network and get paper bill, might help hopefully
                              Her sky-ness
                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                ID, proof of address and a letter from the bank stating you need a PPS number to open a bank account will do you.

As for abusing the welfare system, you more than likley would not be entitled to any.
                                I am nearly certain all EU citizens are entitled to apply for welfare once they have an address.

Comment

Originally posted by angle_grinder View Post
                                  I am nearly certain all EU citizens are entitled to apply for welfare once they have an address.
                                  Depends on the type I think. You can't claim unemployment benefit if you've never worked here for example, as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by angle_grinder View Post
                                    You can apply all right, but unless you are xfering a payment, and even that has to be the one where you are looking for work.

Wife works in social welfare.

The strange loophole in the system is if its rejected, once you appeal it is put into payment while the appeal is ongoing.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Was wondering if reasons like getting a driver license or buying a car could help you get a PPSN? I read that some people got away with it(close poker buddy last year with the driver license thing).

Could I be treated as self employed? I mean I could sort of prove with graphs, videos, hendonmob etc.

Comment

Was wondering if reasons like getting a driver license or buying a car could help you get a PPSN? I read that some people got away with it(close poker buddy last year with the driver license thing).

Could I be treated as self employed? I mean I could sort of prove with graphs, videos, hendonmob etc.
                                        I told you above what you need. Why complicate it ?
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

I told you above what you need. Why complicate it ?
                                          No I don't want to complicate but I couldn't find any info on the bank letter and how to obtain it. Asked all my friends and acquaintances that live there and nobody ever heard about it.
                                          Like everybody seems to be saying that the banks very strict and suspicious in giving bank accounts.
                                          If you could explain it a bit more in depth what I have to do I would be very grateful.

Comment

No I don't want to complicate but I couldn't find any info on the bank letter and how to obtain it. Asked all my friends and acquaintances that live there and nobody ever heard about it.
                                            Like everybody seems to be saying that the banks very strict and suspicious in giving bank accounts.
                                            If you could explain it a bit more in depth what I have to do I would be very grateful.
                                            ID..a passport.

Proof of address...a utility bill with your name on it.

The letter from the bank seems self explanatory.
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Was wondering if reasons like getting a driver license or buying a car could help you get a PPSN?
                                              It's not required for a driving license.

It's really simple, why do you think you need a PPSN?
                                              The answer, will be how you go about getting one also.

Your Personal Public Service (PPS) number is a unique reference number that helps to you access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland.

I couldn't find any info on the bank letter and how to obtain it. Asked all my friends and acquaintances that live there and nobody ever heard about it.
                                              They never heard about a letter from the bank, and couldn't suggest how you might obtain one?
                                              I'd stop asking those people for advice in that case.

Comment

Just had a conversation with an employee of Bank of Ireland and he said that they don't issue such letters.

He said that I should go to the Revenue Office and there ask for a letter that states I need a PPSN. Anyone thoughts on this?

@Mellor
                                                After your question(Answer: I need it for ''TAX reasons'') it seems I should contact Revenue. Now does it seems right to you?
                                                Last edited by SirHTG; 22-03-17, 13:26.

Comment

I don't think you need a ppsn to be considered tax resident here. In order not to have to pay tax in Croatia presumably you just need to show you don't live here? There is no tax paid on gambling winnings here (which you know already) so you won't actually be paying tax here.

The most certain way to find out is to ring the Irish revenue office, they should know for definite if you need a ppsn and how to get one if you do.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X