Facing a shove & a re-shove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facing a shove & a re-shove

This is a hand from a local sunday night pub game. You get the usual 10 - 16 players every sunday night, and I'm the youngest player by about a long shot! The other players are your typical old school 5-card players, ("sure jaysus two pair is two pair" type players), who use this game as a change from the norm. I used to play this game regularly when I started playing poker first, but now only use it for entertainment when bored, as the standard is just unbelievably bad.

The game is a €20 buy-in with a €10 re-buy and top up. We are 6 handed (two tables of 6) and we're playing about an hour when this hand happens:

Blinds are 500/1000
    I have approx. 130k (starting stack was 30k).

I have 99 utg and limp for 1000. It's limped around and checked down by the big blind.

Flop is 910J
    sb checks, bb bets 2000. I pop it to 5000. The guy in seat 5 ships for around 45k, and the sb re-shoves for 52k.

What is my action?
    I'm pretty sure i'm up against a straight in one of the spots, but do I have the odds to call here knowing what i'm up against? (Maths and odds are a very weak part of my game)

P.S. In any other game I play in, I raise the 99 utg here, so I already know that I should have done that

Call instantly.
    Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

You can't really be up against a higher set (which is what you really fear) so I'd call

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
        You can't really be up against a higher set (which is what you really fear) so I'd call
        Yeah to be honest I didnt put either on a higher set when I was weighing up my options, but if I put one of them on a straight, what are my win percentages if I do call?

As I said earlier, percentages etc is a particularly weak part of my game. So I was curious as to what more competent players would do when in this spot, if they thought they were up against a straight

Comment

Against a straight, you've seven outs on the turn (three Ts, three Js and one 9) and on the river you've an extra 3 outs (e.g., if a 5 comes on the turn you've another three 5s as outs on the river).
          So you're about 33%* to hit a house, ie., 2/1.

It's not clear exactly how much is in the pot, it looks like you have to call 43,000 into a pot thats around 115,000, so you have way more than the required 2/1.

* if you don't know then the rough calculation of outs into percentages is as follows. Mutliple each out by 4 on the turn, and by 2 on the river. So 7 outs on turn by 4 = 28%, + 3 outs on river at 2% = 6%. 28% + 6% = 34%. This is an approximate way of doing it in a live situation.
          Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 29-12-12, 17:56. Reason: mis-spelling

Comment

If you're SURE 1 person has a straight, then you should fold because you must feel the other person has some part of the board ie a pair&str8 combo, 2 pair or maybe they could have a bare queen I guess.
            Just saying it's unlikely that you have actually have 7outs given the likely hands the that 2 players will have.
            However in saying that, unless you are 100% sure 1 player has a straight, you should call, I'm sure your a mile ahead of any standard pub players shoving range on a board like this.

Comment

Way too many hands both could have to ever fold in any game, let alone a pub game.

Download some free software called Pokerstove. That's the best way to start getting better at learning your equity with various holdings.
              Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Clear ship, they can easily turn over JT and QJ

If you are behind though I doubt all your outs are clean

Comment

I suppose my thread was due to me being results-based;

I ended up folding, the guy in seat 5 had 78 for a straight, the guy in the sb had KQ for the higher straight....blank on the turn, and had I stayed in the pot, I would have hit quad's on the river.

As I say I was being results based, but also I was curious as to wether or not calling was the proper play here.

It was probably a very straight forward hand for most competent players reading the thread but thanks anyway for the replies lads.

Comment

For a quick rule of thumb maths wise:

On the flop you count your outs, multiply by 4, subtract 2 and that's your percentage of hitting by the river.
                    On the turn you count your outs, multiply by 2, add 2 and that's your percentage chance of hitting the river.
                    In your case you've 7 on the flop plus if u don't house up on the turn you'll pick up an extra 3 - so lets call that 8.5 times 4 minus 2 = 32% chance of beating a straight. Of course for every 9, 10 or j that's I'm your opponents hand you'll lose 4%. In this case I'd go with about 30% plus you may even be ahead, plus your tournament life isn't at stake, easy call.

Comment

Working...
                    X