Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    I'd imagine poisson is much preferable to negative binomial, as the latter afair weights zeros a bit more than poisson do? That's just from a vaguely remembered research paper we did where the reviewers said don't do poisson as you need negative binomial as your data has more zeros. We just said okeliy dokily and did it. While for goal scoring presumably 1 is a more common score than 0 goals, so poisson suits it better.

Is there a dataset made available that these probabilities are calculated from?
    They seem interchangeable from the articles I have read. I am not that interested in how that particular calculation is being done. It piqued my interest when Sit mentioned that money lines were moving based on the xG models. I can imagine the amount of people using these models has become massive since access to modeling, learn skillsets like Python, etc to make data skills more available to everyone became widespread.

I couldn't help wondering though is that is the new dumb money that moves the markets. I presume though the are outperforming the market. You have to presume
    though that people are now doing way more sophisticated things ahead of this not only in refinding the xG model but also feeding that information into an overall larger system in which it is just a part of musch larger aggregation.

Poker has kinda evolved like this over the last few years with the advent of software, then training sites, then solvers, then real-time assistance to god knows where in the next few years but it seems clear the guys beating the game at the very top are in most cases doing things that others don't even know about yet. One of the top online heads up players was on the Joey Ingram's podcast last week and said that he was offered PIO solver a year before it was commercially released. He said to him a few of his high stakes mates all chipped in I think it was 60-70k and bought the program. They naturally crushed the games and continued to crush them long after the release due to being so far ahead on the learning curve.

Opr

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Mia has come on leaps and bounds since last music vid I would have posted. She sang solo at a concert first time ever at Xmas, music teacher received alot of compliments about her voice. Told me she has a, very special tone, said she should do some Amy Winehouse stuff and Nina simone suits her voice etc
        She joined laois Generation of music last Sept which changed everything and...

Tonight she played and sang me her first song as in her song. I said that's, hardly yours as in.. Not joking unbelievable. How I said

She said you take sentences etc from books music film whatever then brain storm chart.

She then put the music to it and to say I'm proud is, an understatement. It was so good I didn't believe her till I saw paperwork.

She won't allow me video over copyright issues

My mother more or less shed a, tear listening. It was unbelievable for a, 14 year old girl to do that.
        I'm hoping in near future I can post.

I asked her music teacher is ready for busking, not a bother he said let her on so we're thinking kilkenny some Saturday, I'll be close by to watch her. But wow I was blown away tonight. Super proud of her.

This is her teacher sound out

The discovery portal and community for music on the Island of Ireland. / Discover the soundtrack to Ireland’s future
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
          No idea who he is. Commentary is awful because the software moves too quickly, and they can't even read the winning hands. So mind-numbingly boring. Switch over to Joey Ingram on youtube whenever he is on. 1 million times better.
          150k down after 3 days!! I haven't seen too much of it but just watched Joey's update video and he does seem to have been on the wrong side of a few huge coolers. I hope it is just variance as I don't really want to see him get massacred. He said at any point either player can tap out of the match if they pay the side bet directly. I wonder how far into the red he would let this match get before saying, uncle?

Summary of the match so far for anyone interested.

Phil Galfond has begun his EPIC heads up challenge by taking on VeniVidi1993 aka one of the best Pot Limit Omaha players in the world. Day 3 just finished up...

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
            Now I can name 3 people in that pic
            Me too strewel cause he's, oldest ipb member, Rd and trippie? Didn't even cop V. Who's lad with glasses. I know his face. Can't place him 🤔
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              Tommy Tiernan just did an excellent interview with Mollly Bloom, her that ran the big game in NY and had a film made about it.
              Quality interview where he let her tell her story and was smart enough to understand what it was about.

The show is generally very good, he has even managed to have me watch Brendan O'Carroll and Glen Hansard without throwing things at the TV!
              The show has improved a lot now that they only pretend he doesn't know who is coming on and he has some research done.
              Didn't see it, must have a look. Tommy used play Fintan's early Pokerevent's games, so would have some idea of the game anyway.

I remember being at same table at a game in Athlone, 2005/06. He'd won 10k the Galway leg a couple of weeks previous and had traveled by helicopter to the Athlone game after doing a gig in Cork.

I think it wore off fast but he definitely had the bug for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                Me too strewel cause he's, oldest ipb member, Rd and trippie? Didn't even cop V. Who's lad with glasses. I know his face. Can't place him 🤔
                SPOILER
                clockwise from bottom left: rd3, Lao Lao, denny, sp, ionapaul, v4v

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                  SPOILER
                  Lao Lao and V4V are not at all as I had them pictured. Phantom Lord and IonaPaul, are exactly as I had pictured them, and even though I’d already met the other two there are far younger than I had remembered

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                    Didn't see it, must have a look. Tommy used play Fintan's early Pokerevent's games, so would have some idea of the game anyway.

I remember being at same table at a game in Athlone, 2005/06. He'd won 10k the Galway leg a couple of weeks previous and had traveled by helicopter to the Athlone game after doing a gig in Cork.

I think it wore off fast but he definitely had the bug for a bit.
                    He definitely played the IO at least once anyway. I was doing a bit of reporting for the old place one day and asked him how he was getting on.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                      SPOILER
                      I'd have guessed 2 of those but wouldn't have a clue that one was
                      SPOILER
                      Denny

Comment

Have a race this afternoon. No drinking since last weekend. Bed at 11pm last night and up and about since 7am.

I really really love my few beers, especially Saturday nights, but jesus feeling this good on a Sunday morning has a lot going for it.

Such a shame we can't have both things.

Comment

I'd have guessed 2 of those but wouldn't have a clue that one was
                          SPOILER
                          Denny
                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 27-01-20, 10:07. Reason: amended so it's not visible from space :)
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                            Have a race this afternoon. No drinking since last weekend. Bed at 11pm last night and up and about since 7am.

I really really love my few beers, especially Saturday nights, but jesus feeling this good on a Sunday morning has a lot going for it.

Haven't had a drop since NYE. Up since 6.30am with a roast dinner cooked and just finished watching The Good, The Bad and The Ugly with two 4yo's. Off for a walk now. Mrs still spark out.

Comment

Well that's impressive.

Was up a ladder taking xmas lights out of a tree meself.

Comment

Drank a bottle and a half of pinot noir meself. Off to work now, fresh as a daisy
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Off the booze as well and on the keto diet for the last 2 weeks. Want to lose the weight I put on when on crutches for 14 months, and a little bit extra. Long road to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    Met two but would instinctively name the six.

RD
                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 26-01-20, 11:45.

Comment

Recommendations for Batch Cook Book?

Comment

Drank a bottle and a half of pinot noir meself. Off to work now, fresh as a daisy
                                        When I first read that, I thought you meant for breakfast!
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Good article by “Franno” , better late then never m8 https://m.independent.ie/sport/colum...-38886898.html

I’ve decided im going to cheer on Saracens in the Heineken cup this year, would be great to see a bunch of cheats win club rugby’s “most prestigious “ tournament in front of a half empty stadium.

Comment

The set of Housing Crisis articles on the IT yesterday are well worth a read, approx 7 in total but McWilliams piece mentioned an article and video from The Economist on the obsession of house ownership, well worth a watch:

Many dream of owning their own home, and thanks to huge financial incentives in the rich world many have been able to so. But government policies to encourag...

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                              When I first read that, I thought you meant for breakfast!
                                              I have done that too
                                              Her sky-ness
                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Anyone here good at photo shop, I have a photo and there is 3 of us at front but I want the 2 behind us cropped out.

It's for a birthday present idea. Can send on fb or WhatsApp if someone can help 🙏
                                                Her sky-ness
                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Think we've only met twice, once at an IO and once at an IPO years ago. Both times, it was very brief and at least once you were three sheets to the wind so your memory may be a bit hazy

Lao is the George Costanza fella there.
                                                  Ah heyour!!

Comment

All looking well men!

The only one that shocked me was Denny. Not how I remember you Shane but it prob been 12 years.
                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Trapped on a street corner by 10,000 Parkrun Lazare types just now. 15 minutes of the fast, the OK and then those who the ambulance lads were eyeing up.

This race. Looked to be some proper elite athletes at the front.

Comment

Comment

One confusing thing - they seemed to have some weird rules for breaking deuce - often a single point more was sufficient and for breaking the 6-6 game tie in the set - where they played points rather than more matches. Is that some new rules of tennis, or some special championship rules?
                                                          I know they've experimented with different systems in various events.
                                                          Outside of Grand Slams, the Doubles events use no-advantage scoring so at 40-40 the next point wins. Sounds like what you saw so maybe some Singles events use this as well.
                                                          Also at 1-1 in sets, some events don't play a third set but instead use a super-tie-break (first to 10 points) to decide the winner, which again may be what you saw.

Comment

Comment

Scenes at Shrewsbury Liverpool on BBC for anyone who switched off at 2-0.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                Trapped on a street corner by 10,000 Parkrun Lazare types just now. 15 minutes of the fast, the OK and then those who the ambulance lads were eyeing up.

Raheny would have Olympic and European hopefuls in their midst along with various marathon winners so the standards would be high. Were you giving it the old Shane Ross high fives all round and handing out FG election badges??
                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Fairly sure that's the race Laz went too today!

Comment

Comment

Could it really be 35% of under 35s voting SF?

The good news is that most of those won't bother voting in the first place.

Comment

After seeing Uncut Gems was a bit intrigued by the Safdie Brothers style of directing. So watched Good Time on Netflix and its every bit as fever dreamish, just a hotbed of relentless anxiety and hopelessness. Worth a watch
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

The Raheny 5 mile.

Best race of the year imo.

Some standard at it. This sport is amazing. I was chatting to (and congratulating) the guy who came 3rd for Ireland at the Euro Cross Country champs. Chatting to him at a hand dryer.

The world record for 60+ was set on that course a few years ago.

Got myself a nice 58 sec personal best coming in at 33:44.

Delighted.

Pints.

Comment

Kobe Bryant is dead?

Comment

The Raheny 5 mile.

Some standard at it. This sport is amazing. I was chatting to (and congratulating) the guy who came 3rd for Ireland at the Euro Cross Country champs. Chatting to him at a hand dryer.

Delighted.

Pints.
                                                                              You got a nice day for it. Basically just a loop around St Annes Park?

Comment

The Raheny 5 mile.

Delighted.

Pints.
                                                                                Class, well done. The standard is crazy high.

Comment

Kobe reported killed in a helicopter crash. Mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                    Kobe reported killed in a helicopter crash. Mad.
                                                                                    My brother only interviewed him in LA last week. Mad stuff.

Comment

My sporting hero growing up as a Lakers fan buying Slam when no basketball was on TV. Best mate is a life long Spurs fan and it was always Lakers vs Spurs shocking stuff.
                                                                                      LeBron passed him for 3rd last night on the all time scoring list, crazy.

Comment

Saw him play against the Sonics( my adopted team) back in my Microsoft days . Just on the scene then . Some player.

Comment

The Raheny 5 mile.

Delighted.

Pints.
                                                                                          Well done. Done easily beat 40mins for 10k

Comment

One of his more iconic moments that signified the whole legacy of his mentality

Comment

Rumour has it, Ionapaul swiped his legs out from him as he ran past...

SPOILER
                                                                                              Last edited by Lao Lao; 26-01-20, 20:48.

Comment

No idea why all my photos are at a 90 degree tilt of late. They are perfectly normal on the phone before I post?!?!?!?

Comment

You got a nice day for it. Basically just a loop around St Annes Park?
                                                                                                  Yeah, pretty much.

It's a very special race for me. For numerous reasons. Was my first ever race, in 2017.

I spent most of my childhood out there, my Mam grew up on Watermill Park. Went almost 30 years not visiting it until Jan 2017.

Huge nostalgia.

The race falls around the anniversary of my little one Sybil.

She died in 2016, I ran that for the first time in 2017. Was my first ever race. A little while after signing up for it I copped that a part of the race ran up a street called Sybil Hill.

I turned left on to it that day and copped a convent called The Little Sisters.

Wept.

Her anniversary, Sybil Hill Road, little sisters. It was just too much. But it was euphoric.

Last year my mate, a guy who doesn't know the relevance, was out there spectating. After the race he sent me a pic that he took of me.

I looked at it and as a runner does started to examine my gait, my feet, etc. Just copped then that he snapped me right below the 'Sybil Hill' road sign.

Love the Raheny 5. Means so much to me.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Lazare; 26-01-20, 20:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                    Rumour has it, Ionapaul swiped his legs out from him as he ran past...

SPOILER
                                                                                                    Actually saw the man himself on the ground in some distress, surrounded by about a dozen good Samaritans, on my way from the car park to the start line on Saturday morning. Whatever you think about his politics, he does volunteer a lot and not nice to see anyone in pain like that.

Was not quick that morning!

Comment

Out for a walk this afternoon going past a bit of heavily overgrown forestry I caught sight of something unfamiliar out of the corner of my eye and stopped to look a bit closer. I couldn't figure out what it was and was about to walk on when I saw something moving. Turns out it was a dog who had got his leg caught up in some wire fencing and was trapped. I got to the poor fella and he was in a bad way, I thought he was dying, he seemed very weak wasn't making a sound then I touched him and looked to me to have been there for a long time. I had to leave him to get help he gave me a very hurt look and then tucked his head away obv thinking I was abandoning him, poor fecker.
                                                                                                      Cut a long story short I was able to get someone to come quickly with a wire cutter and got him free, in the meantime I posted on the local facebook group and got a call within minutes from the owner who'd had a few people out for hours looking for him. He was a gundog being trainined who lost his way
                                                                                                      All turned out well, he's doing ok not standing on the leg yet but he'll live.

Pic shouldn't be too disturbing
                                                                                                      SPOILER

And here a before pic of him

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

Top man SP, well played

Comment

Well done SP. The local Triads will be after you for that though .

Comment

Send on address via PM SP.

For you good deed will send one on to you.

Comment

In the ever interesting travels throughout the USA. Drove through mississippi, alabama and georgia today. It's a whole other world here.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                                  In the ever interesting travels throughout the USA. Drove through mississippi, alabama and georgia today. It's a whole other world here.
                                                                                                                  "You ain't from around heah"

Cue banjo music

Comment

My sporting hero growing up as a Lakers fan buying Slam when no basketball was on TV. Best mate is a life long Spurs fan and it was always Lakers vs Spurs shocking stuff.
                                                                                                                    LeBron passed him for 3rd last night on the all time scoring list, crazy.
                                                                                                                    SO many people thought it was a hoax because of that, his 13 year old daughter was also in the crash.
                                                                                                                    Given there was 9 people killed and they were on the way to her basketball game, it's likely there are other young fatalities
                                                                                                                    awful stuff
                                                                                                                    Last edited by DeadParrot; 27-01-20, 11:05.
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Could it really be 35% of under 35s voting SF?

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                                                      The good news is that most of those won't bother voting in the first place.
                                                                                                                      I can see it being SF's biggest election to date.
                                                                                                                      Blindingly obvious they are aiming for largest opposition rather than leadership or coalition.
                                                                                                                      If they were serious, why not run more candidates?
                                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                        SO many people thought it was a hoax because of that, his 13 year old daughter was also in the crash.
                                                                                                                        Given there was 9 people killed and they were on the way to her basketball game, it's likely there are other young fatalities
                                                                                                                        awful stuff
                                                                                                                        I saw that, it's been confirmed another parent and his young daughter on the same team. Kobe was the co-pilot according to reports which seems credible given I know he traveled regularly via helicopter to and from games. It makes the video of his clearly imparting his knowledge while watching a Hawks game a few weeks ago all the more sad:

Comment

This poor guy was the centre of a tweet storm last night.
                                                                                                                          Ended up tweeting an apology for something he said off hand years ago

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X