MMA Betting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMA Betting Thread

Since Paddy Power are now offering odds on all UFC and major Strikeforce cards I thought this might be a good idea.
    Anyway, with Strikeforce:Miami taking place this Saturday id be very much interested in seeing ye're picks for the card, providing there's any MMA fans on here that is.

My picks:
    *Jay Hieron, Melvin Manhoef and Cyborg Cantos treble @ 2.3/1
    *Marius Zaromskis single @15/8
    Insert sig

Originally posted by Eoin View Post
    Since Paddy Power are now offering odds on all UFC and major Strikeforce cards I thought this might be a good idea.
    Anyway, with Strikeforce:Miami taking place this Saturday id be very much interested in seeing ye're picks for the card, providing there's any MMA fans on here that is.

My picks:
    *Jay Hieron, Melvin Manhoef and Cyborg Cantos treble @ 2.3/1
    *Marius Zaromskis single @15/8
    I'd have liked to add Lashley to a treble matching yours, but that match isnt offered. Lashley os MASSIVE and although Sims is massive too and very experienced, he's absolutely dire!

Plus. that price for Zaromskis is outstanding and well worth a punt. The odds are only that big because nobody outside of Japan has heard of him. He's the DREAM WW Champion and although i like Diaz, i think Zaromskis will use his kicks and smash Diaz!

Comment

I dont know Zaromskis but i think nick diaz is a good fighter with super boxing skills ... however nate sucks ass!
      Lashley is huge but i kinda wana see him get his ass handed to him... just because he came from wwe lol.

Comment

Unfortunately my picks went arry, Manhoef got Ko'd and Zaromskis got taken out by Diaz. Oh well, at least I have UFC 109 to look forward too.
        Insert sig

Comment

Originally posted by MrStuffins View Post
          Lashley os MASSIVE and although Sims is massive too and very experienced, he's absolutely dire!
          LOL, Lashley is dire too. I don't know who won, but Lashley and everyone else his size are generally pretty poor fighters and fights are very random. I would keep the money away.

I do a bit of MMA punting, the main problem is that betfair markets tend to be a bit dry. I've a pretty good win rate, unfortunately i'm break even due to a few big bets on the underdog when I felt he was over priced. The problem with taking these 5/1 shots, is that while they are +EV, they are also still unlikely to win

I'll stick up UFC 109 bets soon

Comment

Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman

Cole is pass it, and although Randy isn't far behind, he has had the higher calibre fights recently and should win this one. Randy by TKO

Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago

Thiago here by submission

Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Serra needs a win, I imainge he'll grind one out here

Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs. Ronnys Torres

Torres is making his UFC debut, I know little about him other than who he trains with and based on that I am backing him for a win. Guillard is a tough opponent so hopefully I'll get Torres at a nice price.
            Torres by sub (armbar)

Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs. Rob Emerson

Nover was impressive in TUF 8, he should punch his way to a win here.

I'll probably make all the above bets, depending on prices (will wait a few days on BF) i'll either go for straight winner, or winner and how he wins. Torres by sub is tempting,

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
              LOL, Lashley is dire too. I don't know who won, but Lashley and everyone else his size are generally pretty poor fighters and fights are very random. I would keep the money away.

(ps, it went exactly how i knew it would. Jesus Mary and Joseph Wes Sims is brutal!)

Comment

Which is why I said generally.
                Lesnar was the first guy in UFC to have to cut to 265 that could actually fight and move about the ring. Obviously due to his wrestling and the fact that he wasn't always almost 300lbs.
                Normally fighters who have the skills and then put on the pounds are quite good. Frank Mir for example, he is over 265 now but stil has the good BJJ base. Carwin also.

Fat guys who try to take up MMA get gassed. To be fair, I was a bit hard on Lashley (and was thinking of Bob Sapp at first), he is in pretty good shape. I just don't take him too seriously.

Comment

Which is why I said generally.
                  Lesnar was the first guy in UFC to have to cut to 265 that could actually fight and move about the ring.
                  Sorry, but Tim Sylvia had to cut to 265, he's about 285 these days (and was over 300lbs when he got smashed by Ray Mercer).

Frank Mir for example, he is over 265 now but stil has the good BJJ base.
                  IMO, Mir is taking this Lesnar thing too far. If he thinks bulking up like that (he looks freakish by the way) will help him beat Lesnar it won't. Lesnar will still be way too strong for him.

Fat guys who try to take up MMA get gassed. To be fair, I was a bit hard on Lashley (and was thinking of Bob Sapp at first), he is in pretty good shape. I just don't take him too seriously.
                  I think Lashley will be better than people think he will. He was an amateur wrestling champion (3 or 4 time national champ i think) and was part of the Olympic team until he got injured. Wrestling, IMO, is the most important think you need to be a great MMA fighter.

But feck it, i should stick up my bets for UFC109

Comment

My bets are:

Randy Couture to beat Coleman.

Randy is a couple of classes above Coleman. Coleman's an old man while Randy's a young man is an old man's body. The game has passed Coleman by, Couture by decision.

Nate the Great to beat Chael Sonnen

Nate is the man, has long been one of my favourite fighters. I think that everything Sonnen is good at, Marquart is much better. Marquart is better on the ground and although Sonnen has shown he is strong (certainly against Okami) he won't out muscle Nate. Marquart by TKO.

Demian Maia to beat Dam Miller

Miller's a wrestler/BJJ player, but Demian Maia is.... Demian Maia.
                    Maia by Sub.

The rest of the card, although i'd have picks in each fight, would be too close to call for me and these 3 are the only ones i'd feel comfortable putting money on.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStuffins View Post
                      Sorry, but Tim Sylvia had to cut to 265, he's about 285 these days (and was over 300lbs when he got smashed by Ray Mercer).
                      Yeah your right, but that was down to his height, 6'8" and not being a mass of muscles. His fight with mercer was at super heavyweight though, so I imagune he is staying up there

IMO, Mir is taking this Lesnar thing too far. If he thinks bulking up like that (he looks freakish by the way) will help him beat Lesnar it won't. Lesnar will still be way too strong for him.
                      I don't think that's why he is doing it. He is a heavyweight fighter, and before Lesnar, since Sylvia all the HW champs have been towards the middle of the division weight, Arlovski, Couture, Noguira and Mir. But now, there are a lot of guys at the top of the division weight. So all those guys at 215-235 lbs are a bit lost and hav to decide to drop to 205 or bulk to 265 if they are to stand a chance (or at least it'll help).
                      A 225-235 division would be great imo

I had a look at prices there, pretty poor so far

Comment

Yeah your right, but that was down to his height, 6'8" and not being a mass of muscles. His fight with mercer was at super heavyweight though, so I imagune he is staying up there

I don't think that's why he is doing it. He is a heavyweight fighter, and before Lesnar, since Sylvia all the HW champs have been towards the middle of the division weight, Arlovski, Couture, Noguira and Mir. But now, there are a lot of guys at the top of the division weight. So all those guys at 215-235 lbs are a bit lost and hav to decide to drop to 205 or bulk to 265 if they are to stand a chance (or at least it'll help).
                        A 225-235 division would be great imo

I had a look at prices there, pretty poor so far
                        You're right in what you say about alot of guys being massive in the HW division and Mir is bulking up for that reason partially, but i think everything Mir does right now is geared toward his obsession with Lesnar. Lesnar is even calling him his "Stalker"

And about the prices, the prices are always bad. The only was to make money i think is through accumulators. I once put an accumulator including every fight on the card (UFC 103) and won, that was a sweet result

Apart from that i've been rubbish though

Comment

The ME is normally trading around 105% which is ok. But its the side events and prelim card where the value is and there are some with $0 matched at the minute.
                          Hopefully this will drill up some interest.

I have some money layed on Torres and Escudero that isn't matched yet if somebody wants to take me on it would make it more interesting (knowing the person that has matched you)

Comment

My treble: Couture, Marqhardt and Serra.

Insert sig

Comment

The ME is normally trading around 105% which is ok. But its the side events and prelim card where the value is and there are some with $0 matched at the minute.
                              Hopefully this will drill up some interest.

I have some money layed on Torres and Escudero that isn't matched yet if somebody wants to take me on it would make it more interesting (knowing the person that has matched you)
                              Couture was matched, although i'm not delighted at the price,
                              i've lowered the other two a lot and i'm current best price, somebody care to match

Comment

Working...
                              X