No announcement yet.

AA in a 2-5-10 NLHE live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do know that you don't get knocked out if you lose the hand and just top up?

Like if you are giving a chance of hand were you know you have QQ vs AK, but you think that later in the night you will have KK vs QQ, you will pass the QQ hand and wait for the better spot of KK vs QQ later on? Do you take both +ev spots or wait for the better one?

Comment

read gorrrs statement he is not rolled for this game hence has only one bullet!!!
      u don need kk v qq in a game like tat all u need is top pair v middle pair do your odds on that!
      Huh, Math my dear boy is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
      My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666

Comment

Originally posted by blaaaaaaah View Post
        haha this is brilliant...your saying that it doesnt matter ha ok if i said to you before you sat down into a cash game... would you fold aces in a 3 way pot if there was a raise and a reraise in front of you on a paired board? plus you were told your table was soft thats is almost certain you are going to win just as much regardless... you still shove?
        I do see where you are coming from but I cant believe you think its regardless to the decision at hand!
        Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying and this is so unbelievably basic it's actually sad that it still has to be discussed. Those better spots still exist no matter what happens, giving up a perceived edge just because there'll be a bigger edge in future is terrible, obv you should be taking both edges, it's not like you need to make a choice. If anything it makes me less likely to fold rather than more likely, if I win I get the money, if I lose my future edge is increased since a weaker player is now playing deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by RedJoker View Post
          Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying and this is so unbelievably basic it's actually sad that it still has to be discussed. Those better spots still exist no matter what happens, giving up a perceived edge just because there'll be a bigger edge in future is terrible, obv you should be taking both edges, it's not like you need to make a choice. If anything it makes me less likely to fold rather than more likely, if I win I get the money, if I lose my future edge is increased since a weaker player is now playing deeper.
          Do you play cash games for a living?

Comment

read gorrrs statement he is not rolled for this game hence has only one bullet!!!
            u don need kk v qq in a game like tat all u need is top pair v middle pair do your odds on that!
            Oh right, I had forgotten that there was a severe lack of soft live games in Ireland and that if he busted tonight he'd never find another good spot. Obv that comletely changes the decision.

Comment

Do you play cash games for a living?
              No, I'm a trader.

Comment

ziiiing
                Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Arguing this point with RedJoker is like boxing with Floyd Mayweather.

Your wrong and he's right and it not close

Comment

Oh right, I had forgotten that there was a severe lack of soft live games in Ireland and that if he busted tonight he'd never find another good spot. Obv that comletely changes the decision.
                    whats with all the harsh comments your having a discussion and your calling me sad n been pure abusive when i'm just saying exactly what I think for those situations... you seem to all the soft cash games in ireland so...how bout you come to carlow tonight maybe the same spot will arise and you can get out your equity calculator and make your decision based on that!!! what ever happened to going with your read or playing safe when you only have ONE bullet for the game!!!! like if aces are not good your bust gone home yet if you stay and win later how is that the wrong decision just because you felt you had the smallest edge in the hand where there is a good chance that your dead to an ace for your only bullet!!!

I do respect the way you think for the game as i said imo i would fold because i no id have little risk winning... i think its the right play when only on one bullet sir an you obviously cannot afford this game in future if you loose there and then!!

Comment

whats with all the harsh comments your having a discussion and your calling me sad n been pure abusive when i'm just saying exactly what I think for those situations...
                      Your response to my post was to laugh at it

"haha this is brilliant...your saying that it doesnt matter ha"

I didn't call you sad, I was calling the fact that we have to repeat discussions which we're had years and years ago sad, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

you seem to all the soft cash games in ireland so...how bout you come to carlow tonight
                      No, I'm not going to Carlow tonight, thanks anyway.

maybe the same spot will arise and you can get out your equity calculator and make your decision based on that!!! what ever happened to going with your read or playing safe when you only have ONE bullet for the game!!!! like if aces are not good your bust gone home yet if you stay and win later how is that the wrong decision just because you felt you had the smallest edge in the hand where there is a good chance that your dead to an ace for your only bullet!!!
                      What exactly would I be doing equity calculations on if I didn't have any reads? I need reads to assign my opponent's a range of hands if I hope to do equity calculations on it. I'm not sure I'm following you with "going with your read", even if I could magically read them for one exact hand I'd still need to do an equity calculation to decide whether I had odds to call or not.

I do respect the way you think for the game as i said imo i would fold because i no id have little risk winning... i think its the right play when only on one bullet sir an you obviously cannot afford this game in future if you loose there and then!!
                      Cash games are all just one big long session, sometimes you take a break for 10 minutes, sometimes you take a break for a couple of days. If OP is only concerned with winning money this one night with as little risk possible than he shouldn't be posting the hand on a forum. Whether he has 10,000 in his pocket or just money for a taxi home, it doesn't change the best way to play the hand if he wants to make the most profitable decision, which is the basic purpose of hand history threads.

Maybe you mean something different to what you're saying, if you thought that the decision was very marginal but that you felt folding was slightly better then fine. If you thought that the EV of all decisions was equal and you prefer the low variance approach then that's also o.k. However, passing up a spot you believe to be +EV simply because there'll be better spots in future makes absolutely no sense at all.

Unless you have the nuts on the river there'll always be "better spots", you can't pass them all up if you want to win money, where exactly are you going to draw the line? Why not just use 0EV, that seems like a pretty decent place to put the line?

Comment

blaaaaah,

I respect you as a player and like reading your thoughts on hands, but God your posts are difficult to read!

Comment

yes it was brilliant i was actually interested in discussion not to have you contridict me on everything i say!!! like who are you to quote me if you dont play cash games for a living all your doing is going with every tiny edge possible that says u might have the best hand yet im sure if you played solid for 1 year you would pick your spots wiser and tell me that my train of thought is not wrong... maximise profits minimes losses isnt that the game????

You are very well up obviously but how do you not see my side if you this smart sir?

this is of course my point as you said in your last paragraph... like what else could you possibly think i meant maybe you should ask a person before you launch at them that everything they say is wrong!..you should fold all time with slight edges like come on do you take me for a moran do you really thinks thats what i meant...its this hand soley i was talking about not future slight edges which im sure will be easier to read!

Can we finish this up plz sir.. more than welcome anytime come down next week maybe?
                          its always better to discuss in person im sure you will agree as sometimes diff opinions get out of hand on forums! we can talk about other topics too as im sure you have strong opinions,be great to get a diff train of thought....

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                            blaaaaah,

I respect you as a player and like reading your thoughts on hands, but God your posts are difficult to read!
                            I know sorry just so use to the text messages over the years its very hard to type correctly again

Comment

In my OP I was asking what to do based on the way the hand played so far and reads etc.
                              I think based on the responses most elect to continue one way or the other (mainly based on there not being a 9 out there very often). Fair enough. It's interesting though, It brings up a question as to whether it's better to take a minraise line when you flop trips 3 handed as an overpair gets it in most times.

TBH if I was playing €200-€300 I'm 100% sure I would have got it in on the flop.
                              I know I wouldn't feel comfortable about it though. The reason I posted the hand was to figure out whether it's ok to get it in given the action. The main reason I folded was the BR.

Comment

That's grand Gorrr hope the feedback helped... I remember you asking me to pop into the theory section that you would like to see my thoughts on some hand histories. So I did just that and posted exactly the way I think and what I would do in that situation... I hope this is usefull to you in future games.

All the best

Jason

Comment

yes it was brilliant i was actually interested in discussion not to have you contridict me on everything i say!!!
                                  Not much of a discussion if we just agree about everything. I'm just contradicting you because I disagree with everything you say, try to see things from my point of view.

like who are you to quote me if you dont play cash games for a living
                                  lol, are you serious?

all your doing is going with every tiny edge possible that says u might have the best hand yet im sure if you played solid for 1 year you would pick your spots wiser and tell me that my train of thought is not wrong... maximise profits minimes losses isnt that the game????
                                  I've been playing cash games for a lot longer than a year. How are you maximising profits if you're passing up +EV spots?

You are very well up obviously but how do you not see my side if you this smart sir?
                                  I'm not sure what you mean by "well up", could you explain? I don't see your side because it makes no sense.

this is of course my point as you said in your last paragraph... like what else could you possibly think i meant maybe you should ask a person before you launch at them that everything they say is wrong!..you should fold all time with slight edges like come on do you take me for a moran do you really thinks thats what i meant...its this hand soley i was talking about not future slight edges which im sure will be easier to read!
                                  I thought you meant what you said, my mistake obv. What's the difference between this hand where we have a slight edge and any other hand where we have a slight edge? If you're passing up this hand with what you think is a slight edge then you should also be passing up any other hand where you have a slight edge, unless of course it's at the end of the night and there's no more better spots left. Not sure why it matters if it's easier to read or not, even if you knew 100% that you had a slight edge, it's pretty much the same as being way behind 49% of the time and way ahead 51% of the time, just a little harder to read I guess.

Actually, if you were going home after this hand anyway would you still fold?

Can we finish this up plz sir.. more than welcome anytime come down next week maybe?
                                  its always better to discuss in person im sure you will agree as sometimes diff opinions get out of hand on forums! we can talk about other topics too as im sure you have strong opinions,be great to get a diff train of thought....
                                  Why would I go to Carlow when I could just talk to you on the forum? I had no plans of ever going to Carlow tbh, maybe I'll have a reason in the future though.

Comment

I thought u re raised preflop gorr but whatever either way.
                                    Ok well i have the massive advantage of being able to say i was sitting to Gorrr's right side and at the time i believed that the player who min raised who i would know quite well very rarely min raises and i believed he had a 9 because he is more than willing as a player to flat call most raises wit any 9 ranging from 96 suited up to a9 as he plays suited connectors and such so often to raises and RE RAISES!!! I believe that considering u only had 50e invested in the pot that folding the flop is not a bad option considering the player who leads who i would more class as tight passive defintely has a hand such as KQ, KJs or AK but the player who min raises is very liable to have a 9 there and i believe that u were definitely right to fold as if u flat(which is a horrible idea whoever suggested it) the LAG is very capable of firing the turn just because he likes to bet so i believe that it was a good fold.

Comment

Just read over the conversation/debate between blahhh and red joker and its a good read i do agree with blahh that there is definitely better spots to get a 600e stack in the middle on a weak table like i sat at that table waited for over an hour and half limped wit KK player raises to 20 and i ship 160e get snapped by 10 10 and double up half hour later get a guy all in for 260e i have 10 9 on a 678A board he stacks off wit 68. He opened into the 19e pot on the flop for 50e so i defintely agree wit blahh sometimes even the fish have a hand so ya gotta respect and understand that and wait for a better spot.

Wouldnt regret my decision for 1 min and red joker u should have a read of g bucks by phil galfond might help u understand Blahhs side of the debate better

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                        the LAG is very capable of firing the turn just because he likes to bet
                                        that'd make me wanna flat

Comment

God i hope this thread doesnt make Redjoker go away and not come back. Id say his head is after exploding

Comment

Originally posted by phantom_lord View Post
                                            that'd make me wanna flat
                                            So u suggest flating 200e uncertain if your ahead against a LAG who is willing to stack off on the turn i just think that even if u are ahead lets just say this player will play any hand containing a 9 from 69 up to a9 yeah well that means there is 54 conbinations of hans he can have i would much rather stack off against a weak player when i can narrow his hand range down to less than 5 hands do you get why i fold now cos if he had 1 of those 54 hands i lose over 91 percent of the time

Comment

any hand containing a 9 from 69 up to a9 yeah well that means there is 54 conbinations of hans
                                              ORLY

Comment

red joker u should have a read of g bucks by phil galfond might help u understand Blahhs side of the debate better
                                                I almost fell off my chair laughing after reading this

Opr

Comment

So u suggest flating 200e uncertain if your ahead against a LAG who is willing to stack off on the turn i just think that even if u are ahead lets just say this player will play any hand containing a 9 from 69 up to a9 yeah well that means there is 54 conbinations of hans he can have i would much rather stack off against a weak player when i can narrow his hand range down to less than 5 hands do you get why i fold now cos if he had 1 of those 54 hands i lose over 91 percent of the time
                                                  He's not flatting for information, hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                    I almost fell off my chair laughing after reading this

Opr
                                                    Whats so funny about that the primary objective of that article is to think about hand ranges vs hand ranges over a period of time opposed to individual hands vs individual hands its an improvement on sklansky dollars so what is so funny please explain

Comment

Whats so funny about that the primary objective of that article is to think about hand ranges vs hand ranges over a period of time opposed to individual hands vs individual hands its an improvement on sklansky dollars so what is so funny please explain
                                                      Thats exactly what RJ is doing and blaaaah is not

Comment

Originally posted by Howard_Finkel View Post
                                                        i dont agree i believe from reading his quotes he just talks about never giving up an edge and its bad play to wait for a better spot which is bull s..hit he quotes kinda seem to me hes a little trigger happy and would never fold AA which is re tarded if you believe that u have such a significant edge which gorr had on that table u can find a better spot so why not find it why not find a spot for example where instead of being ahead of his hand range 60 percent of the time be ahead 80 percent of the time the player in question isnt a fish so my honest range if im in the same spot is as i mentioned is 69 up to a9 and ak kq kj so therefore ur only ahead of his hand range 25 percent of the time so you should fold

Comment

This is a fact

i dont agree i believe from reading his quotes he just talks about never giving up an edge and its bad play to wait for a better spot which is bull s..hit he quotes kinda seem to me hes a little trigger happy and would never fold AA which is re tarded if you believe that u have such a significant edge which gorr had on that table u can find a better spot so why not find it why not find a spot for example where instead of being ahead of his hand range 60 percent of the time be ahead 80 percent of the time the player in question isnt a fish so my honest range if im in the same spot is as i mentioned is 69 up to a9 and ak kq kj so therefore ur only ahead of his hand range 25 percent of the time so you should fold
                                                          Your obviously reading a different thread or something

Comment

what is so funny please explain
                                                            That one line was funny for a great deal of reasons.

Picking on RJ's technical understanding of poker!

Quoting an article which I know he understands completely and telling him to read it.

Completely misapplying the concepts in the article you are quoting.

Relating from this that said article would actually support blaaaahs argument.

The article actually shows the complete opposite of this!

Wording the post so you sound so sure of everything your saying.

So many levels of comedy brilliance, wp.

Opr

Comment

look man the bottom line of this whole thing is red joker is wrong i just read his posts again and your right his knowledge of the game seems quite good so OPR is right maybe i shouldnt have suggested that he read g-bucks but if his decision in this spot is to stack off or call its re tarded and if your decision is the same then u are also re tarded sorry dont mean to be harsh but ist true i was on the table i know the guy i know his general range and he does the same thing in that spot with 12 hand as mentioned before 69 through a9 and kj kq and ak therefore when u have AA u are losing 75 percent of the time ok

Comment

look man the bottom line of this whole thing is red joker is wrong i just read his posts again and your right his knowledge of the game seems quite good so OPR is right maybe i shouldnt have suggested that he read g-bucks but if his decision in this spot is to stack off or call its re tarded and if your decision is the same then u are also re tarded sorry dont mean to be harsh but ist true i was on the table i know the guy i know his general range and he does the same thing in that spot with 12 hand as mentioned before 69 through a9 and kj kq and ak therefore when u have AA u are losing 75 percent of the time ok
                                                                Ok once more, RedJoker is not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                  That one line was funny for a great deal of reasons.

Picking on RJ's technical understanding of poker!

Quoting an article which I know he understands completely and telling him to read it.

Completely misapplying the concepts in the article you are quoting.

Relating from this that said article would actually support blaaaahs argument.

The article actually shows the complete opposite of this!

Wording the post so you sound so sure of everything your saying.

So many levels of comedy brilliance, wp.

Opr
                                                                  Post of the day if there was such a thing IMO

Comment

Board: Kh 9c 9s
                                                                    Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
                                                                    Hand 0: 64.280% 64.28% 00.00% 339804 18.00 { 99, AKs, A9s, KJs+, K9s, Q9s, J9s, T9s, 96s+, AKo, A9o, KJo+, K9o, Q9o, J9o, T9o, 96o+ }
                                                                    Hand 1: 35.720% 35.72% 00.00% 188820 18.00 { AA }

(35.72% x $472) + (64.28% x -$200)

= $168.6 - $128.56

= +$40

Comment

I have a new word thanks to this thread

Lolgood

Comment

I wonder when it was this thread descended into a car wreck.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                                          I wonder when it was this thread descended into a car wreck.
                                                                          When blaaah decided to argue with RJ

Comment

Ok once more, RedJoker is not wrong.
                                                                            dude u are actually a complete idiot its unreal the guy is wrong blahh is correct redjoker, opr and yourself as well as all the other general boards idiots who dont think gorrr made the correct fold are just jokes and shows why the majority of good irish players dont bother with this ####hole of a forum because u guys dont have a clue. i agree i did go off the point and didnt respect redjokers poker knowledge but the bottom line still remains that he is genuinely wrong

Comment

#98
                                                                              dude u are actually a complete idiot its unreal the guy is wrong blahh is correct redjoker, opr and yourself as well as all the other general boards idiots who dont think gorrr made the correct fold are just jokes and shows why the majority of good irish players dont bother with this ####hole of a forum because u guys dont have a clue. i agree i did go off the point and didnt respect redjokers poker knowledge but the bottom line still remains that he is genuinely wrong
                                                                              Ok then, off you go to that forum where people think like you. Perhaps try the old place, its like it was 6 years ago, you should fit right in.

Comment

#99
                                                                                Brady and redjoker should obv just play hu4rollz to settle this

Comment

i know his general range and he does the same thing in that spot with 12 hand as mentioned before 69 through a9 and kj kq and ak therefore when u have AA u are losing 75 percent of the time ok
                                                                                  you gotta love this

fwiw i flat and get it in somewhere later

Comment

I get whats going on here, Brady was at the table, he knows the result of the hand.

Results based thinking FTW

Comment

dude u are actually a complete idiot
                                                                                      I like this line

Comment

the most important point about this hand is that Gorrr is underrolled. Blaaahs reasoning is that he has only 'one bullet' so can't get it in here as its not a good enough spot.

as I think Gorrr knows, he shoudn't be playing with only 'one bullet'. its bad poker. it makes you do things like fold here cos you're afraid of losing the buy in

Comment

dude clearly i dont really talk about poker considering my lack of posts im not really into talking shit on a forum all day i'd rather play i know u guys rather post on trivial matters of no importance which is cool like my aim in poker is win money im sure yours is 1000 posts a year i dont really know but maybe u should spend less time writing on the subject matter and maybe try play in a similar situation and see if you'll stack off 600e in agame your not rolled for on a pair board

Comment

You are embarrasing yourself.
                                                                                            Id quit now.
                                                                                            Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                                            I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                                            None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Ah don't get so upset. I don't think I know anyone who has studied or understands poker theory more than Redjoker. So saying he's an idiot and posting non nonsensical odds and figures as proof probably isn't going to be taken too seriously.

Comment

go into the light hurley imo

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                                                  I like this line
                                                                                                  Should you bit be at home cuddling your little flipper dolls and eating your tv dinner. I don't bother you so keep the fuck out of my business

Comment

this is the best thing since Werewolf

Comment

Should you bit be at home cuddling your little flipper dolls and eating your tv dinner. I don't bother you so keep the fuck out of my business
                                                                                                      wtf?? paranoia ftw

Comment

Ha Ha class from the guy who likes getting involved in everyone elses . Excellent posts btw RJ.

Comment

angry issues ? you should see someone about that

Comment

Lol he stoves the range you posted Brady and does the equity calculation. You could thank him or at least acknowledge the trouble he went to

= +$40
                                                                                                            ^ Bottom line

but the bottom line still remains that he is genuinely wrong

Comment

EDIT: Only saw the first page when I posted that, and missed all the drama!

While RJ is obv 100% right, there is actually a logical case to be made for better spots if you are severely underrolled for a game and you have big edge. This is similar to how if you have big edge in a freezeout, then making a call which is greater than neutral EV by an infinitesimally small amount is clearly incorrect. This can be extended up to cash games on a limited roll. Concept is that used in calculating bet sizes in sports betting.

So if gorrrr is playing far underrolled here, there is a genuine argument to be made for waiting for a better spot.

This is why you shouldn't be playing underrolled though, cos you'll have to pass up +EV spots sometimes, thus decreasing your overall edge.

I'm actually not disagreeing with RJ, and not agreeing with blaaaah/brady et al, just making a non-consequential nitpicky point.
                                                                                                              Last edited by TommyGunne; 25-05-10, 22:38.
                                                                                                              Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

obv a min-raise.

Comment

sometimes you just have to stop digging

Comment

That's grand Gorrr hope the feedback helped... I remember you asking me to pop into the theory section that you would like to see my thoughts on some hand histories. So I did just that and posted exactly the way I think and what I would do in that situation... I hope this is usefull to you in future games.

All the best

Jason
                                                                                                                    Thanks Jason,
                                                                                                                    I think your take on it is very interesting.
                                                                                                                    I must get down to Carlow for a game.
                                                                                                                    gl.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                                                                      if gorrrr is playing far underrolled here, there is a genuine argument to be made for waiting for a better spot.
                                                                                                                      This is true.

If OP is only concerned with winning money this one night with as little risk possible than he shouldn't be posting the hand on a forum. Whether he has 10,000 in his pocket or just money for a taxi home, it doesn't change the best way to play the hand if he wants to make the most profitable decision, which is the basic purpose of hand history threads.
                                                                                                                      Covered by RJ here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
                                                                                                                        This is true.

Covered by RJ here.
                                                                                                                        Yeah I guess, just making a point though. Thats what I meant by saying that I wasn't disagreeing with RJ, just that the point was semi-valid. Don't think it was the argument being made by anyone else disagreeing with RJ though, hence that I wasn't agreeing with them either.
                                                                                                                        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Brady, do you play poker online? If so, what site? And I was wondering if I could rail you some time so pm me your screen name please. Thanks and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X