Show one show all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show one show all

Only just came across this forum, havent played much in about 6 years and looking to get back into the game, but this came to mind when I found this section of the forum.

Played in a charity holdem tournament a (good) few years back in Belfast and got to the final table when the following happened. Just wondering if the dealer was right.

I had A10s and was in to a flop after a min raise and three calls (think i might have been second to act but not sure) and the flop came K J Q rainbow, can't remember exactly what happened but one guy ends up all in on the flop but the three other bigger stacks don't, (probably poor play by me). Turn comes 10d and I end up all in but again the two biggest stacks just call. River comes another Jack. And the two remaining stacks end up all end (or one of them does you know what I mean).

First guy turns over AK for the straight. I then turn over just my Ace and say my other card doesn't play as its a 10. The dealer (who i should say was a pro dealer) says your hand is dead as you have refused to show both cards. Which I hadnt but might have as my other card didn't play and she was being quite rude. In the end it made no difference as the biggest stack turned over pocket queens for the house.

Got me wondering though if I am calling am I obligated to show both cards for my hand to count even if one of them doesn't play? I presume I am to avoid collusion but the dealer said it was in accordance with the show one show all rule which i thought meant you werent allowed to show one player your hand without showing the whole table.

Originally posted by castor View Post
    Only just came across this forum, havent played much in about 6 years and looking to get back into the game, but this came to mind when I found this section of the forum.

Played in a charity holdem tournament a (good) few years back in Belfast and got to the final table when the following happened. Just wondering if the dealer was right.

I had A10s and was in to a flop after a min raise and three calls (think i might have been second to act but not sure) and the flop came K J Q rainbow, can't remember exactly what happened but one guy ends up all in on the flop but the three other bigger stacks don't, (probably poor play by me). Turn comes 10d and I end up all in but again the two biggest stacks just call. River comes another Jack. And the two remaining stacks end up all end (or one of them does you know what I mean).

First guy turns over AK for the straight. I then turn over just my Ace and say my other card doesn't play as its a 10. The dealer (who i should say was a pro dealer) says your hand is dead as you have refused to show both cards. Which I hadnt but might have as my other card didn't play and she was being quite rude. In the end it made no difference as the biggest stack turned over pocket queens for the house.

Got me wondering though if I am calling am I obligated to show both cards for my hand to count even if one of them doesn't play? I presume I am to avoid collusion but the dealer said it was in accordance with the show one show all rule which i thought meant you werent allowed to show one player your hand without showing the whole table.
    You must show both cards to win a pot, regardless of whether any of your cards count towards your best 5 card hand.

This is different from the show one show all rule which means you cannot just show one player your hand, you must show everyone as all players have the right to see what you show 1 particular player.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
      You must show both cards to win a pot, regardless of whether any of your cards count towards your best 5 card hand.

This is different from the show one show all rule which means you cannot just show one player your hand, you must show everyone as all players have the right to see what you show 1 particular player.
      Thats what I thought I assume the rationale for showing both cards in such a scenario is to avoid collusion and/or to show you arent using cards from another deck. Still think dealer was a little quick to kill my hand I hadn't refused to turn over my ten I had only announced and shown proof I had also made a straight and was going to show my ten as well.

I do remember playing a home game once were both me and the villian turned over identical king high flushes using a king of spades in our hands. I think that one was an honest mistake of mixing two decks though.

Comment

Unless your second card has actually been mucked the dealer can't actually kill your hand, despite what they say. They can insist you turn over your second card though. Home games are a bit different though in terms of rigid adherence to rules, but yes it is an anti collusion thing in general.

Comment

One thing is certain this dealer is in no way a pro dealer.
          location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
            Unless your second card has actually been mucked the dealer can't actually kill your hand, despite what they say. They can insist you turn over your second card though. Home games are a bit different though in terms of rigid adherence to rules, but yes it is an anti collusion thing in general.
            Yeah it's not dead unless it touches the pot, the dealt out board or any of the mucked cards, or if the dealer touches it.
            Last edited by Micknail; 06-01-13, 16:47.
            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by castor View Post
              Yes you are required at showdown to show both cards to win the pot. While it helps with collusion that is not what the rule is for. (if you were colluding you can simply fold on the turn and avoid having to show at showdown)

The rule is to prevent players withholding cards, false cards and other discrepancies. Like when you mentioned with the 2 players both having the king of spades.

Your hand is live and can make a claim to the pot as long as the 2nd card is identifiable. ie it hasn't been mixed with any other cards.

I don't know why you are refusing to show the kicker here, whats the big deal?

It is always the wisest practice if you think you have a claim on the pot to keep hold of your cards until the pot has been paid and show both cards at the showdown.

Comment

Working...
              X