HectorJelly Blog Updates: First weeks progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HectorJelly Blog Updates: First weeks progress

I feel healthier, fitter, stronger and happier than I did this time last week. (Although as I type this I just posted utg by accident!). There are loads of reasons as to why working a night shift is unhealthy, but one of the primary ones for me was my day was always upside down. I'd get up, play football, then sit around for 10 hours and try to get to sleep. Now I'm playing football towards the end of the day, which makes a lot more sense. In general it feels like I'm working to live now, rather than living to work.

I've been sleeping much better as well, I've managed to get to sleep each night with almost no help, which is a pleasant change. I wake up constantly throughout the night, but I think that's something I'm going to have to live with for a while.

I wouldn't say poker is going well, but its certainly going better. Poker really is a weird game. I played almost every day for 5 years to a (mostly) high standard. Then I took a break for a few months, and now after over 75 thousand hands I still don't feel like I'm playing anywhere near my best. That really is a crazy situation. To play 75k hands at a live poker table, it would take you 3000 hours. Or 100 weeks of playing 30 hours a week. So roughly 2 years!

I feel like I'm still struggling a little bit against the better players, whereas in the past most players would actively try and avoid me where they could. I think it has a little bit to do with confidence, and also the fact that I'm not playing as aggressively as I did. I'm working on making life a little bit more difficult for my opponents.

I played a gig this weekend at a tiny festival, the picture above is taken at it. Soundcloud link here: http://soundcloud.com/hectorjelly/da...s-rathlin-2011

More...
Working...
X