Hulking up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hulking up!

As you can guess from the title, the next step in my plan is to bulk up some and build myself a physique to be proud of. I've lost all the weight I need to, now it's time for some toneage.

My goal is simple really, get my bodyfat to under 10%. It is currently 16.6%. I'm 6'0 and weight 75kg. I'll be outlining the exercises done and my general feeling and just mapping my progress really.

This is my progress thus far;

So, I did my first workout in this new routine this morning, it entailed;

Warm-up; same as before.

Flat dumbell presses(16kg+16kg), 4 sets, 8 reps.
    Barbell dead lifts,(10kg+10kg+10kg bar, 30kg total) 4 sets, 8 reps

Incline dumbell presses(14kg+14kg), 4 sets, 8 reps
    Dumbell bench rows(25kg) 4 sets, 6 reps

Push-ups, 4x8
    Inverted rows 4x6

I managed the first 4 exercises just fine, it was when I got to the push-ups and inverted rows that I began to struggle. It will take some time for me to build the strength to do these comfortably, which is the entire point.

Cooldown;

I am of course increasing my calorie intake. While dieting I was taking in 1200-1500 per day. I will be looking to be taking in 2500-3000 on my days in the gym and around 1500-2000 on rest days, and I will be gradually reaching this amount to allow my body to adapt to the increase.

Food consumed so far today;

8:30am - Blueberries, strawberries and natural yogurt.

10:30am - Cup of coffee, wholegrain bagel

11am-12pm - Gym

12:30pm - Protein shake

1pm - 3 boiled eggs

3pm - 25g Almonds

6pm - Tuna, wholewheat pasta, mushrooms and garlic.

I'll edit this as I eat throughout the day just for the sake of completion.
    Last edited by Moneymaker; 30-05-11, 18:55.

What a change, well done, sincerely.

GL with the rest of it...

Comment

Would be interested to see the 1250kcal diet?

Also, start lifting heavy. Find your max, step off it a bit, and do low reps higher sets. 5x5, 8(sets)x3(reps), whatever.

Starting Strength / stronglifts should be first port of call imo.

Comment

People who are way better qualified then me, but I reckon that you could quite easily up your deadlift... 30kg is extremely light, even for a beginner.

Also as someone who has only recently enough started lifting, I'd recommend getting someone who really knows what they are doing to give you a session or two on proper technique. Otherwise it's only going to end up holding you back/ causing an injury.

When I first started I thought that i'd be grand, I watched a few videos on youtube, thought I knew in my head what I was doing. I didn't!

Also, I'm not sure what the rest of your workout routine is, but I strongly suggest doing a lot of squats...

Anyway i'm sure someone with more knowledge then me can come along and help you out.

Best of luck with it, awesome work to date.
        Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          Would be interested to see the 1250kcal diet?

Also, start lifting heavy. Find your max, step off it a bit, and do low reps higher sets. 5x5, 8(sets)x3(reps), whatever.

Starting Strength / stronglifts should be first port of call imo.
          Yeah, low calorie diet consisted of lots of berries, egg whites, veg and lean meat(turkey, chicken etc etc, wasn't very interesting but it got the job done)

And yeah, my trainer has said exactly that. Heavier weights > number of reps. It's just a case of getting comfortable with the technique and movements first.

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
          People who are way better qualified then me, but I reckon that you could quite easily up your deadlift... 30kg is extremely light, even for a beginner.

Also as someone who has only recently enough started lifting, I'd recommend getting someone who really knows what they are doing to give you a session or two on proper technique. Otherwise it's only going to end up holding you back/ causing an injury.

When I first started I thought that i'd be grand, I watched a few videos on youtube, thought I knew in my head what I was doing. I didn't!

Also, I'm not sure what the rest of your workout routine is, but I strongly suggest doing a lot of squats...

Anyway i'm sure someone with more knowledge then me can come along and help you out.

Best of luck with it, awesome work to date.
          Yeah, 30kg is light. But this is the first time i've done these exercises and I wanted to feel comfortable with the movements and get accustomed first.

And proper technique is why I see a personal trainer.

Squats are very much part of the plan.

Comment

Technique >>>> Weight > Reps

for strength exercises alright. You've got the right idea!

Comment

Here's a typical low calorie diet intake by the way Emmet;

Breakfast: 30g Oatmeal, 150g frozen berries, 100g natural yogurt,

Snack - Mixed nuts

Lunch - Chicken/turkey breast + salad(mixed leaves + tomato + onion)

Snack - Piece of fruit(Apple, banana or orange)

Dinner - Steak + 2 veg(brocolli/cabbage/peas/spinach)

Snack - Fruit

Works out around 1200-1500 calories. I mixed it up and varied it as much as possible but it would be something around that.

Comment

Do you drink beer/stout? If so, how often?

Comment

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
                  Do you drink beer/stout? If so, how often?
                  Nope, not touched a drop in 18 months.

Comment

thats some serious looking weight loss, well done

Comment

Out of curiosity. Who advised to eat less on your rest days and for what reason?
                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

If you're working with a personal trainer than I assume all of this has been covered but it isn't in this thread yet so no harm:

Make sure that you have a balanced lifting routine, that hits more than just chest and biceps - you need to be putting the same amount of time in for your back, shoulders, triceps and legs (and more than just squatting for the legs if possible). You should also be doing a lot of core work (sit ups, back lifts, etc) after every session to ward off injury.

Again, I assume you are aware to focus on different areas of the body, but I'm back lifting myself the past couple months and I've noticed too many young lads coming in and doing the same stuff over and over. For me personally, doing a session on chest / shoulders / biceps and then coming back a couple of days later to do back and triceps works a lot better - with a third session on legs / core / non weight exercises.

And while I hear what Emmett is saying, if you are doing this type of thing for the first time don't be afraid to ease yourself in and spend a few sessions finding out what your ideal weight for different exercises is. Yes, the sooner you find that the sooner you'll start making real progress - but no harm getting comfortable with the different motions and techniques first.

Good luck, and congratulations on everything you've achieved so far. Lifting is awesome - I genuinely look forward to going to the gym.
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Starting with the bar and bar alone on the bigger exercises is a good idea. I wouldnt spend any time trying to find an 'ideal weight' for your exercises as you shouldnt have an ideal weight. It should be tough. all the time.

You'll want to jump ahead and lift heavier but its not a good idea because :

a) You wont have the technique down and will lead to injury.
                          b)You wont have the neural pathways and wont be conditioned to it which will lead to injury and whopper doms, much longer recovery (while new to it).
                          c) You should be adding weight progressively (each session to begin with) so starting too high will not only cause you to stall earlier and get annoyed but also... guess what? lead to injury.
                          d) You'll be lifting heavy soon enough.

Granted its fairly hard to start Deadlifting with just the bar as you need the height of some plates for proper form but Squat, Bench, Shoulder press, Bent over Rows (basically anything where the weight you are lifting is relatively heavy compared to your BW) etc

You've inspired me to get my log back on track too so good job you. Well impressed with your determination. Keep it up.
                          Last edited by Theresa; 31-05-11, 03:38.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I would also imagine you have mobility/flexibility issues given the state you used to be in and the lack of lifting experience.

Another reason to not start heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                              I am of course increasing my calorie intake. While dieting I was taking in 1200-1500 per day. I will be looking to be taking in 2500-3000 on my days in the gym and around 1500-2000 on rest days, and I will be gradually reaching this amount to allow my body to adapt to the increase.
                              It'll probab be a bit hard at first to get into the mentality of over eating after being on such a strict cut. Taking it less calories on a now work-out day is fine, but 1000 less is far too much.
                              this is defo under maintenance and will severely slow down or even prevent you from putting on muscle. You obviously burn less energy from activity during a workout day, but its on rest days that your muscle repairs itself, so you need extra calories then.
                              Based on your stats I'd aim for 3000 on workout days, and 2500 on rest days.

Best of luck with the log, I think the above posts did a good job of covering stating off light, adding weight every session, so won't adding anything there.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                Out of curiosity. Who advised to eat less on your rest days and for what reason?
                                No-one, just me being stupid. Talked this over with my trainer and he stressed I should be taking in plenty of calories on rest-days also for muscle repair but to be careful not to consume too many calories too quickly after being on a low cal diet for so long. Easing things up gradually is the idea.

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                Make sure that you have a balanced lifting routine, that hits more than just chest and biceps - you need to be putting the same amount of time in for your back, shoulders, triceps and legs (and more than just squatting for the legs if possible). You should also be doing a lot of core work (sit ups, back lifts, etc) after every session to ward off injury.

Again, I assume you are aware to focus on different areas of the body, but I'm back lifting myself the past couple months and I've noticed too many young lads coming in and doing the same stuff over and over. For me personally, doing a session on chest / shoulders / biceps and then coming back a couple of days later to do back and triceps works a lot better - with a third session on legs / core / non weight exercises.

And while I hear what Emmett is saying, if you are doing this type of thing for the first time don't be afraid to ease yourself in and spend a few sessions finding out what your ideal weight for different exercises is. Yes, the sooner you find that the sooner you'll start making real progress - but no harm getting comfortable with the different motions and techniques first.

Good luck, and congratulations on everything you've achieved so far. Lifting is awesome - I genuinely look forward to going to the gym.
                                Yeah definitely, I see this myself guys just doing benches for seemingly hours on end. It's cringeworthy. I have 3 different programmes with a variety of different exercises which you'll see as I update this.

Way I see is this first week lifting heavy is not the priority, getting comfortable with positioning and technique is what i'm going for. Once i'm comfortable with what i'm supposed to be doing is when i'll start lumping the weights on.

Thanks for the congrats, and yeah I love going to the gym now. Great rush.

Starting with the bar and bar alone on the bigger exercises is a good idea. I wouldnt spend any time trying to find an 'ideal weight' for your exercises as you shouldnt have an ideal weight. It should be tough. all the time.

You'll want to jump ahead and lift heavier but its not a good idea because :

a) You wont have the technique down and will lead to injury.
                                b)You wont have the neural pathways and wont be conditioned to it which will lead to injury and whopper doms, much longer recovery (while new to it).
                                c) You should be adding weight progressively (each session to begin with) so starting too high will not only cause you to stall earlier and get annoyed but also... guess what? lead to injury.
                                d) You'll be lifting heavy soon enough.

Granted its fairly hard to start Deadlifting with just the bar as you need the height of some plates for proper form but Squat, Bench, Shoulder press, Bent over Rows (basically anything where the weight you are lifting is relatively heavy compared to your BW) etc

You've inspired me to get my log back on track too so good job you. Well impressed with your determination. Keep it up.
                                Agree completely, thanks for the compliments. Knowing so many have been inspired by my efforts helps me to keep going and push on.

I would also imagine you have mobility/flexibility issues given the state you used to be in and the lack of lifting experience.

Another reason to not start heavy.
                                Definitely the case for a long time, rapidly improved mobility these days.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                It'll probab be a bit hard at first to get into the mentality of over eating after being on such a strict cut. Taking it less calories on a now work-out day is fine, but 1000 less is far too much.
                                this is defo under maintenance and will severely slow down or even prevent you from putting on muscle. You obviously burn less energy from activity during a workout day, but its on rest days that your muscle repairs itself, so you need extra calories then.
                                Based on your stats I'd aim for 3000 on workout days, and 2500 on rest days.

Best of luck with the log, I think the above posts did a good job of covering stating off light, adding weight every session, so won't adding anything there.
                                Yeah it is, i've found that recording what i'm eating is helping keep on top of what I should be doing.

Comment

Hey,

Great work dropping the fat, congrats. Some questions, no offence intended

- Do you have a particular reason for wanting to drop from 16.6% to sub 10%? As you probably already know, the easiest (not easy) way to do this is to gain muscle and the drop fat in a six to eight week cycles until you reach your goal. Do you plan on being 10% at 75kg at the end?

-What is your programme like? What the balance between strength gains and conditioing sessions?

-Have you tested recently? (Max pullups, pushups 1min, i-rows 1min, bench, 200m sprint, 500m row) This will give you something to comapre back with in 6/8 weeks and at the end of each cycle.

-Are you using calipers to come up with 16.6%?

I'll add whatever insight i can.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post

- Do you have a particular reason for wanting to drop from 16.6% to sub 10%? As you probably already know, the easiest (not easy) way to do this is to gain muscle and the drop fat in a six to eight week cycles until you reach your goal. Do you plan on being 10% at 75kg at the end?
                                    Not really, I just came up with a number in my head. Target setting was a big part of losing all the weight, I don't see why it can't be the same here.

I didn't really have a set weight in my head though. I'll have to consider it after a few weeks and see how i'm progressing.

-What is your programme like? What the balance between strength gains and conditioing sessions?
                                    I'll be updating the thread with my workouts. It is however heavily balanced towards strength gain.

-Have you tested recently? (Max pullups, pushups 1min, i-rows 1min, bench, 200m sprint, 500m row) This will give you something to comapre back with in 6/8 weeks and at the end of each cycle.

-Are you using calipers to come up with 16.6%?

I'll add whatever insight i can.
                                    Yes to both. All my measurments(skinfolds included) were measured professionally last wekk. Any questions/insight is always appreciated, more opinions is a good thing.

Comment

Oh and I wouldnt bother eating less on you're rest days. Id eat the same. I find if you undereat at all it affects recovery. So better looking at it than for it.

And finally, as a former fatty, much like yourself, you might think itll be a breeze eating that much food. Its really not. at all.

Comment

I'll be updating the thread with my workouts. It is however heavily balanced towards strength gain.
                                        Put up your programme and we can talk

Edit: What are your starting numbers? ie the test results. The can highlight imbalances too.

Comment

Best of luck. This one should be a piece of cake compared to the last one. MMMMMM cake....

Lots of good info ITT. I'll chime in now and again if I think I can help you out.

Comment

Okie dokie, day two.

Breakfast - 50g Oatmeal, 6 strawberries.

Snack - Wholegrain bagel, cup of coffee.

Workout-

Warmup:

Goblet squats - 25kg 4x8

Walking lunges - 6+6 4x8

Step-ups - 10+10 - 4x8

1/2 get ups - 8kg, 4x6

Reverse lunges - Bodyweight 4x8+8
                                            Squat jumps - Bw 4x8
                                            Plank - x3 @ 60 seconds

I really struggled with some of these, the 1/2 get ups in particular. Movements and co-ordination being the problem. Struggled with the lunges also. Goblet squats I managed fine, ditto step-ups and the squats. Plenty to work on and improve upon.

Post-workout - Protein shake

Lunch - 3 boiled eggs.

Snack - 25g almond, frozen blueberries + Natural yogurt.
                                            Last edited by Moneymaker; 01-06-11, 17:04.

Comment

Day 3:

Breakfast - 9:20am - 50g Oatmeal, strawberries

Snack - Wholegrain bagel, cup of coffee

1pm - Workout:

Warm-up

Bench presses, 15+15+10kg bar, 4x8

Managed ok, struggled on the last set but completed.

Dips: 4x8

Completed, with great difficulty.

Chin-ups: 4x8

Complete failure here, I just lack the strength to do these right now.

Kneeling lumberjack presses: 10kg+10kg bar, 4x8

Managed 2 sets at this weight, had to drop to 7.5kg for the final 2 sets.

Lat pulldowns - 25kg 4x8

No problems here, being doing these since day 1.

Dumbell squat presses: 12+12, 4x8

No problem here.

Overhead dumbbell extensions: 12kg

Completed, with tremendous difficulty.

Post-workout: Banana + protein shake

Lunch - 3:30pm: Burger bowl: Steak burger, tomato, lettuce and onion.

Comment

The fact that you are finding certain ones difficult is a good thing, if you had of completed all sets and reps its a sign you aren't attempting a high enough weight.
                                                I rarely have a sesion where I don't miss reps or aim a little too high.

One thing on the diet, after been on low cal for so long it can be hard to come around to eating higher cal foods. For example, the burger bowl is a standard meal I'd have on a cut (actually a buritto bowl). But as you are aiming for cal surplus, there a chance you won't hit your target with meals like that. I know its counter-intuitive, but an occasional big fat burger is a good thing on a bulk. The above is prob 1000-1200 cals.

If you are still ramping up to full cals, then ignore the above

Comment

hows it going..

just been reading ur posts fair play going well.
                                                  about your chin ups..do these pull ups..hands facing the other way. alot harder but if ya aim to be able to 12-15 of them in a go its a gr8 excersise.
                                                  [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oblWkK88_Vw[/ame]

also are you taking any supplements ? as ur starting to work out more and with heavier weights you should look into it if your not.. maximuscle do a good one called thermobol its for ppl looking to loose weight while toneing and defining there bodys.

best of luck with it if i think of anythin else ill post it
                                                  http://formbet.co.uk?ap_id=Filly10 Horse Racing Ratings

Comment

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
                                                    hows it going..

just been reading ur posts fair play going well.
                                                    about your chin ups..do these pull ups..hands facing the other way. alot harder but if ya aim to be able to 12-15 of them in a go its a gr8 excersise.
                                                    If he finds chin ups tough, how is suggesting a much harder variant a good idea???

Both have a place in work outs once you are strong enough to do both. Initially chin ups are better.

[quote]
                                                    also are you taking any supplements ? as ur starting to work out more and with heavier weights you should look into it if your not.. maximuscle do a good one called thermobol its for ppl looking to loose weight while toneing and defining there bodys.

best of luck with it if i think of anythin else ill post it
                                                    Maximuscle are one of the worst brands out there.
                                                    Over priced, and their protein % is worse than many cheaper brands.

Thermobol are herbal tablets. Made up of caffine, chilli pepper, and green tea. All in tiny amounts that have no effect. Don't waste your time or money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                      If he finds chin ups tough, how is suggesting a much harder variant a good idea???

Both have a place in work outs once you are strong enough to do both. Initially chin ups are better.
                                                      Don't agree. A weak back is a weak back and no amount of chins will improve that. Dropping those fucking lat pulldowns and replacing them with assisted pullups (band) would be a good place to start.

Pullups are a measure of strength, Chins are their ghey uncle

Comment

If bands are available then band assisted would be a good option.
                                                        I disagree with chins being useless though, pull up are certainly best but chins are still engaging your back.
                                                        I rather chins over machine assisted or lat pull downs, if bands weren't an option.

Edit:
                                                        Neutral grip chins btw, some pull sup stations have the 45 degree handles which I would good for progressing to full pull up grip
                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 08-06-11, 00:18.

Comment

Gained 5lbs in the first 2 weeks. Arms visibly bigger, stomach has tightened a bit and waist has gotten smaller.

Making steady progress on my workouts. Baby steps and all that.

Good start I reckon.

Comment

Gained 5lbs in the first 2 weeks. Arms visibly bigger, stomach has tightened a bit and waist has gotten smaller.

Making steady progress on my workouts. Baby steps and all that.

Good start I reckon.
                                                            Good work.

But f*ck the arms. What about the legs?

Comment

They feel a good bit firmer, lunges, reverse lungs and step-ups should be taking care of them I hope.

Comment

People are starting to comment how much better I look in relation to a few weeks ago, where I looked pretty gaunt and drawn out(got as low as 74kg).

I've dropped another waist size(down to a 32' now) but I continue to gain weight so obv doing something right.

My typical daily diet is now:

Breakfast - 50g Oatmeal, berries, natural yogurt, scoop of protein powder. Coffee

Train

Post-workout - Protein shake, 30 mins later lunch - salad(lettuce, tomato, onion, garlic, beetroot, cottage cheese, homemade dressing) with at least 200g of lean meat(typically tuna or wild salmon) or an ommelette(crammed full of veg, tuna and cottage cheese) or 4 boiled eggs.

Snack - 50g mixed nuts

Dinner - Steak/fish/poultry + 2 veg

Small shake + tbl spoon of peanut butter + flaxseeds right before bed.

Constantly drinking water through the day to stay hydrated of course.

Comes in at around 2200-2700 calories a day.

Comment

diet looks spot on, clean and hitting the macros too.

Hows the lifting going? Have you mastered the lifts?

Comment

Yeah i've gotten used to all the exercises now. Just a matter of upping the weights appropriately.

Comment

Can Emmet/Mellor/Theresa/Lurker i.e someone in the know recommend a decent protein powder?

Or does it really matter which one I buy?

Comment

Can Emmet/Mellor/Theresa/Lurker i.e someone in the know recommend a decent protein powder?

Yes it defo does matter which one you buy! Some of them are full of crap.

ON Gold Standard Whey is the nuts. Mint choc is delicious.

Comment

I get ON here: http://www.discountsupplements.ie/pr...page=2&sort=2a

Based in Terenure if you wanna call in and buy it.

I have double choc and is nice with Milk and natural yogourt.

I have no idea on its quality, just recommended by someone in the know.

Comment

good luck moneymaker. the results show serious dedication.

as far as the lads in the thread saying that its far better to work different muscle groups on different days is this because working the same muscle group 4 times a week is basically a waste of time as the muscles dont have time to repair which is when they grow?

right now I'm happy with the overall body bar the arms which would be my main focus. As it is I jog and play football and do crunches for the core but I really need to maximise my time on the biceps, triceps and forearms. Get 'em big, fast.

Basically hitting the bench and dumbells and curl bar almost entirely in the gym until I get the arms where I want them to be. 4 or 5 times a week.

Am I wasting a couple of sessions a week doing this?

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                                                                              as far as the lads in the thread saying that its far better to work different muscle groups on different days is this because working the same muscle group 4 times a week is basically a waste of time as the muscles dont have time to repair which is when they grow?

right now I'm happy with the overall body bar the arms which would be my main focus. As it is I jog and play football and do crunches for the core but I really need to maximise my time on the biceps, triceps and forearms. Get 'em big, fast.

Basically hitting the bench and dumbells and curl bar almost entirely in the gym until I get the arms where I want them to be. 4 or 5 times a week.

Am I wasting a couple of sessions a week doing this?
                                                                              Yes you are wasting time. Do max two sessions a week on any body part. People who spend hours doing arm curls usually have puny arms. Compound exercises will increase your arms not curls. Most experienced gym users have a good lol when they see the curlers. I can usually pick them out before i even see them do anything.
                                                                              Last edited by jack90210; 23-06-11, 16:19.

Comment

#40
                                                                                dont be laughing at the curlers, we all have to start somewhere.

take one of the curlers on as a pet project and give them a bit of advice every now and again when you see them.

If he is really 'puny' make it clear that its not some prison 'arrangement'.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  You don't put on muscle in the gym, you put on muscle after the gym.

Simple explanation for why not to overdo it.

Eating and sleeping well, combined with lifting big, is pretty much the whole goal.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    with a proper training regime and a healthy high protein diet what factors are needed to calculate how much muscle can be gained per month in certain muscle groups.

Comment

#43

ON is the Marks and Spencers of Protein when Lidl sell the same thing at a quarter the price in a different tub.

Our Impact Whey Protein Isolate is a premium isolate protein powder offering over 90% protein per serving with just 1% of fat and 1g of carbs. Free UK delivery.

Is just as good if not better than a lot of the ON stuff. You really just want it to be protein, nothing else, and if that's all you're looking for, it's not really too differentiable.

Doesn't have the nicest flavours though.

This is similar, but can only get it in a 5lb tub which is loads! Shouldn't be a problem though if you're serious about getting tough. Also has far more "milk shakey" flavours.
                                                                                      Whey protein powder is a staple supplement that supports your every goal, especially growth and maintenance of muscle mass. Shop over 40 flavours of whey.

There's sample packs available if you want to grab a couple and test them.

Fwiw, this is what I've been using last while, in Choc Mint almost finished it now.
                                                                                      Buy Sports Supplements From UK's Top Brands Incl Reflex Nutrition, PhD Nutrition, Sci-MX Nutrition, Optimum Nutrition, BSN, BPI Sports, Applied Nutrition, Cobra Labs, Cellucor, Oatein and Many More at Echo Supplements With Fast UK Delivery

Comment

#44
                                                                                        I've tried those cheaper brands and I actually came out in rash once on my arms. Full of filler. ON will prob cost you a tenner more than a cheaper brand for 2.2kg and it tastes great and is recognised as the top brand with loads of back up and batch testing done. Protein is something you take every day - might as well be sure its correctly tested etc and tastes good.

When your buying condoms you spend an extra euro to buy Durex over the dodgy ones you get out the jacks dispensers - cos you know the tests and reliability is there.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                          I've tried those cheaper brands and I actually came out in rash once on my arms. Full of filler. ON will prob cost you a tenner more than a cheaper brand for 2.2kg and it tastes great and is recognised as the top brand with loads of back up and batch testing done. Protein is something you take every day - might as well be sure its correctly tested etc and tastes good.

When your buying condoms you spend an extra euro to buy Durex over the dodgy ones you get out the jacks dispensers - cos you know the tests and reliability is there.
                                                                                          Nothing wrong with the jacks dispensers one's.Life savers in the good old days.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Hatedajacks View Post
                                                                                            Nothing wrong with the jacks dispensers one's.Life savers in the good old days.
                                                                                            Life preventers more like

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Yes you are wasting time. Do max two sessions a week on any body part. People who spend hours doing arm curls usually have puny arms. Compound exercises will increase your arms not curls. Most experienced gym users have a good lol when they see the curlers. I can usually pick them out before i even see them do anything.
                                                                                              Which compound lifts?

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Which compound lifts?
                                                                                                All of them. Don't try and be smart.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  I'm not trying to be smart.

Compound lifts directly involving the arms give you big arms. Ones that don't involve the arms don't. Many involve them in some ways but to massively varying degrees.

If you want bigger arms, you're best off training your arms (who'd a thunk it). Doing tricep exerices and bicep exercises. Dips, French Curls, Close grip Bench, Bicep Curls, Chin ups. Triceps are the majority of your muscle in your arm so they give that 'fuller' look.

The debate may then become, 'well you'll look ridiculous with big arms and small everything else.' And I agree with that. Id rather be in proportion too but the chap said he is happy with his overall body bar the arms.

I figure you're going to counter with but by doing squats and deads you get an overall increase in Test and HGH and so your arms increase. The only reason your arms increase by doing deads and squats is because you are using them indirectly. That said, training them directly will give much much much better results.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    I have huge Arms and i do isolation arms at the very end my sessions very briefly. I was taking about the clowns who go in and curl for an hour, won't work.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      I'm thrilled you have huge arms. Its got a hell of a lot to do with the fact you're doing the isolation exercises and a lot less to do with the compounds though.

Anything else is just broscience.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Whatever. Ill bench, dip, chin up, press up, barbell row, military press and you can do curls.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Did you even read what I wrote? Reading comprehension not your thing then, no?

lol ok.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Im saying the above will be a lot more effective then curls while your saying they will both be the same in effectiveness.

Comment

#55

If you're looking for one with low carbs (around 5g per scoop), ON, the myprotein ones or gaspari myofusion are good. Currently using gaspari and it's prob the nicest tasting out of the three and the most filling imho. ON and gaspari are around the same price, myprotein a bit cheaper.

If you're looking for one with more carbs (around 15g per scoop), Syntha-6 is the nuts. By far and way the best I've ever tasted and I've gone through a lot of different brands.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Thats not what Im saying and not what I said. Heres what I wrote, you seem to have missed it the first time:

Originally posted by Theresa
                                                                                                                If you want bigger arms, you're best off training your arms (who'd a thunk it). Doing tricep exerices and bicep exercises. Dips, French Curls, Close grip Bench, Bicep Curls, Chin ups. Triceps are the majority of your muscle in your arm so they give that 'fuller' look.
                                                                                                                I never once said doing compound exercises won't give you bigger arms. I said those that use the arms will ( I even included some of them in the above quote), , your initial comment on the curls thing was not wrong (and I never said it was) but it was misleading. There are much better ways to get bigger arms than doing the compounds.

The fact remains, that doing direct arm work instead of compound exercises, will give you bigger arms and in this case, answers the question much more appropriately. I'll repeat myself, he said he was happy with the rest of his body, just not his arms. So, to get bigger arms, train them, directly.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  I'm thrilled you have huge arms. Its got a hell of a lot to do with the fact you're doing the isolation exercises and a lot less to do with the compounds though.

Anything else is just broscience.
                                                                                                                  Whatever. Ill bench, dip, chin up, press up, barbell row, military press and you can do curls.
                                                                                                                  Poor MM's log

Agree with Theresa fwiw. If someone wanted to get big arms I'd recommend the iso movements. Jack, I'd also rather do the compound exercises you mention (as would Theresa no doubt) but for those who are only interested in huuuuge arms targeting them would get the best results.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Lol. I know. Sorry MM, Im sure he wont mind. He now has the knowledge to get huge arms AND the knowledge of which is the best protein.

I dont see a loser in this scenario.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                      ON is the Marks and Spencers of Protein when Lidl sell the same thing at a quarter the price in a different tub.

Our Impact Whey Protein Isolate is a premium isolate protein powder offering over 90% protein per serving with just 1% of fat and 1g of carbs. Free UK delivery.
                                                                                                                      Are you mixing ON up with a different brand?
                                                                                                                      ON and TrueWhey are pretty much the same price, ON might be cheaper. Impact Whey is slightly cheaper than both.

BSN/Maximuscle/etc are the ripp off merchants of course.

Anyway, +1 for MyProtein.
                                                                                                                      Feel free to use my referal code MP410504 for 5% off guys

Im saying the above will be a lot more effective then curls while your saying they will both be the same in effectiveness.
                                                                                                                      That isn't what he said and you basically came accross as trying to argue for the sake of it.

And I agree, poor MM's log, might be an idea to ship these posts out to the sticky Theresa when it's sorted - edit actually we can't as the dates and tiems will be messed up
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Mellor; 24-06-11, 00:33.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        It's fine, discussion is good.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X