Summer Training Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Training Plan

I get off for the summer on the 3rd of July, I've got seven weeks absolute free time. I was wondering if anybody could suggest a program to maximise strength, size and fitness over those seven weeks?

I'm free all the time so I'm looking for something that takes up a good bit of time as opposed to the standard 3x thing.

I'm doing starting strength at the moment, lifts are fairly pitiful at the moment

Bench 57.5kg
    Squat 65Kg
    Deadlift 80kg

I'm 65kg myself.

My general fitness goals are to be able to do 3X5 at 70kg for the bench, 100kg for the squat and 140kg for the deadlift.

I also used to be very fit and would like to get back to that standard. Is there anything anybody could suggest to combine getting big/strong with getting psychotically fit. I don't mind a bit of hard work.

I think in general not eating enough is holding me back at the moment, which I'll have to sort.

Suggestions?

I'd start by buying some general vitamins and a good protein shake.
    Then get a good gym programme where you are breaking each body parts into different days eg day 1 chest and biceps day 2 cardio example 5 a side soccer or whatever suits you best day 3 legs and triceps day 4 shoulders and back and day 5 a little bit of the excersise during the week you feel you didn't give your all to or where just to burned out to complete and two days rest cardio can be added in extra each day but make sure you have at least one day during the week with no gym no cardio just rest as its vital for your body to recover.
    Sorry if this is very vague but its a start like so much of this is how has your training up to this gone and previous best at the three excersise you mentioned above all vital information as to how quick your progression should be.
    Hope this is of some help to you, if I can help any other way I will try just post and good luck with this.
    Last edited by Hooch; 13-06-12, 21:14.

Comment

]
      Last edited by blanchero; 14-06-12, 00:03.

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post
        I'm free all the time so I'm looking for something that takes up a good bit of time as opposed to the standard 3x thing.

I'm doing starting strength at the moment, lifts are fairly pitiful at the moment

Bench 57.5kg
        Squat 65Kg
        Deadlift 80kg

I'm 65kg myself.
        I'd say keep at starting strength. Which version are you doing?
        The reason 1 day on, 1 day off is so popular is because you need the rest day to repair and recover. if you tried to do strength session two often you'll prob slow your progress.
        If you wanted to change SS there are other options but they also follow the 3 day per week plan.

If you want to train more than 3 times a week, add in a day or two active recovery or a conditioning session. That way you'll be more active, improve fitness but won't hinder recover and gains. So keep SS going say mon, weds, friday and add tuesday and saturday as extra days.
        I'd keep the extra days high volume, low load. Session like Kettlebells, Rower, HIIT, plyometric and other "power" stuff, bodyweight stuff. If you want something structured so its easily to follow let me know.

You've touched on the other issue you have. Not eating enough. That's going to be key. you'll need 7 weeks of solid eating to get the most out of it.
        What's a typical days diet now?
        Any foods you won't eat?

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
        Then get a good gym programme where you are breaking each body parts into different days eg day 1 chest and biceps day 2 cardio example 5 a side soccer or whatever suits you best day 3 legs and triceps day 4 shoulders and back and day 5 a little bit of the excersise .
        That kind of body part split is more common with bodybuilding type programs rather than strength training. Not ideal for OPs goals, but if you were going to follow it, you'd be better off grouping the muscle that work together, ie chest/triceps, back/biceps,which leaves legs/shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
          I'd say keep at starting strength. Which version are you doing?
          The reason 1 day on, 1 day off is so popular is because you need the rest day to repair and recover. if you tried to do strength session two often you'll prob slow your progress.
          If you wanted to change SS there are other options but they also follow the 3 day per week plan.

If you want to train more than 3 times a week, add in a day or two active recovery or a conditioning session. That way you'll be more active, improve fitness but won't hinder recover and gains. So keep SS going say mon, weds, friday and add tuesday and saturday as extra days.
          I'd keep the extra days high volume, low load. Session like Kettlebells, Rower, HIIT, plyometric and other "power" stuff, bodyweight stuff. If you want something structured so its easily to follow let me know.

You've touched on the other issue you have. Not eating enough. That's going to be key. you'll need 7 weeks of solid eating to get the most out of it.
          What's a typical days diet now?
          Any foods you won't eat?

That kind of body part split is more common with bodybuilding type programs rather than strength training. Not ideal for OPs goals, but if you were going to follow it, you'd be better off grouping the muscle that work together, ie chest/triceps, back/biceps,which leaves legs/shoulders.
          Yeah actually im happy enough to keep starting strength and do as you suggested with the days in between.

Would you mind describing the high volume low load stuff to me?

No food i don't like, unfortunately just eat a lot of processed stuff and not even enough of that. I do drink 4 pints of milk a day though which is a start i suppose! Have always found it difficult to put on weight.

Oh, the version I'm doing is

Monday - Squat, bench, chin ups
          Wednesday - Squat, press, deadlift
          Friday - Squat, bench, pulls ups

Standard 3X5 except for dealift 1X5 and pull ups and chin ups to fail
          Last edited by colquhom; 14-06-12, 11:27.

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post
            Would you mind describing the high volume low load stuff to me?
            Yeah sure.
            You want to blood pumping around, theheart and lungs going, but you don't want the weights to be so heavy that your are burning out the muscle first as this is too much like your strength session. You want to thread the line between weights and cardio (anaerobic and aerobic).

Things like;
            Rower - See this post
            Kettlebells - High reps - say 100 reps in as few sets and as fast as possible. Full body moves. kettlebell swings, kettebell snatches, and turkish get-ups. You'll prob be using a kettle bell from 12-24kg.
            HIIT - On a exercise bike, threadmill or better yet outside. Sprint balls out for 30 - 60 seconds. Jog lightly for 1-2mins. Repeat 5 to 10 times.
            Plyometric/Calisthenic/bodyweight - bodyweight squats, Clapping pressups, tuck jumps, mountain climbers, V-sits, burpees. Do each 20 seconds, move directly to the necxt. Take a break for 2 mins and go again. Do 3 to 5 rounds.

Do one or two of those 4 above on the conditioning days. Also include a good 20 mins at the start working on dynamic stretching and mobility.

No food i don't like, unfortunately just eat a lot of processed stuff and not even enough of that. I do drink 4 pints of milk a day though which is a start i suppose! Have always found it difficult to put on weight.
            Lots of milk is good. Peanut butter is easy calories too.
            Try and have whole food as often as possible. Keep it simple to avoid going for the easy processed option.
            Decent portion of Chicken or Beef or Tuna, plus
            Rice or Potato, or pasta, plus
            coconut milk, avocado, olive oil

Then add what ever veg and spices to get variety.

Comment

Yeah sure.
              You want to blood pumping around, theheart and lungs going, but you don't want the weights to be so heavy that your are burning out the muscle first as this is too much like your strength session. You want to thread the line between weights and cardio (anaerobic and aerobic).

Things like;
              Rower - See this post
              Kettlebells - High reps - say 100 reps in as few sets and as fast as possible. Full body moves. kettlebell swings, kettebell snatches, and turkish get-ups. You'll prob be using a kettle bell from 12-24kg.
              HIIT - On a exercise bike, threadmill or better yet outside. Sprint balls out for 30 - 60 seconds. Jog lightly for 1-2mins. Repeat 5 to 10 times.
              Plyometric/Calisthenic/bodyweight - bodyweight squats, Clapping pressups, tuck jumps, mountain climbers, V-sits, burpees. Do each 20 seconds, move directly to the necxt. Take a break for 2 mins and go again. Do 3 to 5 rounds.

Do one or two of those 4 above on the conditioning days. Also include a good 20 mins at the start working on dynamic stretching and mobility.

Try and have whole food as often as possible. Keep it simple to avoid going for the easy processed option.

Are you a personal trainer or something Mellor??

Comment

Yeah sure.

Things like;
                Rower - See this post

Nice one, thanks a million

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                  Are you a personal trainer or something Mellor??
                  Nope. But 3 years ago I was pretty much out of shape and overweight. So when I started back in the gym and wanted to do it properly. Over the last two years I've taken it pretty seriously.
                  I'm naturally inquisitive and when I take up something I seek to understand it fully. So I started reading forums, books, articles. Even things like Wikipedia pages regarding specific muscles. I find I understand physiological stuff very easily, I guess it suits my logical way of thinking. A lot of the info I got came from reading other forums and having discussions and listening to people who seem to understand what they say and aren't just repeating something that read in Men's Health.

I'm by no means in great physical shape, but I've made significant progress. I owe a lot to that to advise on forums, so if somebody is looking for a bit of help I like to return the favour.

Comment

hoochE=Mellor;560077]Nope. But 3 years ago I was pretty much out of shape and overweight. So when I started back in the gym and wanted to do it properly. Over the last two years I've taken it pretty seriously.
                    I'm naturally inquisitive and when I take up something I seek to understand it fully. So I started reading forums, books, articles. Even things like Wikipedia pages regarding specific muscles. I find I understand physiological stuff very easily, I guess it suits my logical way of thinking. A lot of the info I got came from reading other forums and having discussions and listening to people who seem to understand what they say and aren't just repeating something that read in Men's Health.

I'm by no means in great physical shape, but I've made significant progress. I owe a lot to that to advise on forums, so if somebody is looking for a bit of help I like to return the favour.[/QUOTE]

A bit like myself so, just asked as I myself am at a point where increases are hard without taking something stronger than protein so may consider creatine.

Comment

Working...
                    X