This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onwards and upwards, hope it will always be this way

I played really well yesterday and spent a while reading up on position and used it well online and last night in Maynooth!! so so important!!!

also introduced the 4th table yesterday and find it grand amazing what a few days can do!!
    I think i need to start playing alot more hands from here on in too!

Last edited by SatNav; 13-09-11, 09:01.
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

Great read so far. Great to see how easy it is coming after only a short time with some basic rules applied.
      Looking forward to the next few weeks as the tables grow and the bankroll too.
      VWP keep it up..........
      sigpic

Comment

just seeing all this now, fair play msn/hectorjelly, looks like ur doing well, keep it goin

Comment

What stakes are you playing 2c/4c?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
            What stakes are you playing 2c/4c?
            1/2 c
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

You're crushing it so! Do you have rakeback?

Comment

You're crushing it so! Do you have rakeback?
                no but when we proceed to higher stakes I think we are moving elsewhere!
                Her sky-ness
                © 5starpool

Comment

If you keep up this rate of progression your kids will never have to work for a living. Nice thread MSN +HJ.
                  Profit before people.

Comment

Ah right. You should look at it soon enough, as at the micro stakes the rake is much much higher in terms of % of the pot size, so having a good deal means you get more of that back.

Comment

Ah right. You should look at it soon enough, as at the micro stakes the rake is much much higher in terms of % of the pot size, so having a good deal means you get more of that back.
                      ok will talk to the boss later lol

TY
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

Great start/going: gl to you both
                        My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
                          I noticed if I had been dealt great cards on each table that im just hitting the 3x or pot bet button instead of using the slider so I need to address that issue too.
                          Well done Michelle.

What is the strategy behind altering your bets outside of the standardish 3x pre and pot on the flop?

I tend to bet less than pot on flop and turn and sometimes overbet the river but I don't have much logic behind doing it.
                          Basically I think the times I lose value with a top hand I can get it back with cheaper c-bets and bluffs on other hands.

Comment

Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                            Well done Michelle.

What is the strategy behind altering your bets outside of the standardish 3x pre and pot on the flop?

I tend to bet less than pot on flop and turn and sometimes overbet the river but I don't have much logic behind doing it.
                            Basically I think the times I lose value with a top hand I can get it back with cheaper c-bets and bluffs on other hands.
                            Well im thinking in such small stakes its much more tempting for them to call and I find also in the small stakes there is a few idiots about who call alot so im thinking its better to bet
                            slightly more than the pot on some occasions and definatly when there are flush or straight possibilities.
                            Her sky-ness
                            © 5starpool

Comment

This thread reminds me of the film Big. Heres the timeline so far in pictures!

Meets Hectorjelly for the first time.

Finds out about the game from another perspective.

Starts to find her feet.

Reports back regularly.

Comment

Behave your self!!! this is a serious thread, no time for joking!!
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

no but when we proceed to higher stakes I think we are moving elsewhere!
                                  Would it not make sense to still have it as it would surely boost the bankroll a lot quicker? I guess this section is more about turning you into the player you need to be rather than grinding profit tho.
                                  Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                    Would it not make sense to still have it as it would surely boost the bankroll a lot quicker? I guess this section is more about turning you into the player you need to be rather than grinding profit tho.
                                    I will talking to Daragh in the morning and see what he thinks, he will probably read this anyway and see for himself.
                                    Her sky-ness
                                    © 5starpool

Comment

So it's one week in, and so far it's been going very well. I think we have had four sessions so far, and Michelle is much further along that I had hoped. At this point she is playing a pretty good TAG game pre-flop, around 21/17 from memory. This is an excellent fundamental to build on. We haven't really discussed 3 or 4 betting yet, except to make the general assumption that you want to get AQ and AJ all in against short stacks, but very rarely against full stacks. That said I don't think Michelle is doing a whole lot wrong at this point.

We also haven't discussed post-flop yet, but again there are no glaring weaknesses. As we go up in stakes we will no doubt be put to more difficult decisions that will require a lot more preparation. We will also get her to start playing a lot more aggressively, and delve into both post flop and pre flop in a more sophisticated manner.

Rakeback is very important, but I was impatient to get Michelle started, and the lack of RB at the very lowest level wasn't that important since the goal was to get her up and running. This will be sorted in a couple of days. Once this is done I think its time to take our first shot at slightly higher stakes, 5c 10c. If it goes well we will stay there, if not we will go back down and iron out any issues.

One thing that is brilliant is that Michelle is now capable of playing 3 tables with no bother. I'm amazed at how fast she took to multitabling. She will be moving to 4 quite soon.

Comment

Just had my first bad night

everything seemed to go wrong, there was a player who was at both my tables who limped in to more or less every pot on both tables, he hardly if ever raised pre flop.
                                        I was actually gone paranoid at one point thinking it was HJ testing me !!

Everytime i raised preflop he would call me and then either call my bet on the flop or reraise me so obv i was starting to cop on to this and would reraise him which i got him to fold on numerous occasions. But he deffo did damage to me on one table.

also I had raised with a decent hand on all occasions but seemed to miss the flop every time!

really really annoyed me so much so I finished the game , and Ill have to speak to darragh in the morning and go over the hands in question
                                        Her sky-ness
                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Just had my first bad night

everything seemed to go wrong, there was a player who was at both my tables who limped in to more or less every pot on both tables, he hardly if ever raised pre flop.
                                          I was actually gone paranoid at one point thinking it was HJ testing me !!

Everytime i raised preflop he would call me and then either call my bet on the flop or reraise me so obv i was starting to cop on to this and would reraise him which i got him to fold on numerous occasions. But he deffo did damage to me on one table.

also I had raised with a decent hand on all occasions but seemed to miss the flop every time!

really really annoyed me so much so I finished the game , and Ill have to speak to darragh in the morning and go over the hands in question
                                          Congratulations. You just found the guy that's going to pay your bills. You just need to run good against these guys. Bet really big when you have it and he'll pay you off, but just sounded like you missed. The part in bold is a big step. He was tilting you, you didn't feel good about it so you stepped away from the table so good for you. HJ will tell you how to deal with these players and help you focus. In the grand scheme of things, 1 losing night now is good for you because it keeps a bit of a reality check that there'll always be downswings and losing nights and it's not all golden. Clear the head and come back fresh tomorrow and start again. glgl

Comment

Just following up on this thread, great stuff, we might all learn off this, best of luck to both

Comment

Havent posted in a few days because of the Bruce event this weekend, had a session tonight and instead of darragh watching me play, I watched him play which was very interesting, I found him to be a very good player.

It was amazing listening to him predicting what kind of hands the other person had, and watching him making bets against that person that I deffo wouldnt make , that is also something I need to work on, trying to figure out what the other person is holding.

I asked him to go into more detail re: pokertracker as I dont seem to be using it much while playing as I didnt understand it fully, so did a nice bit of work on that and will start using it more to check the stats before action.

cant wait till im pulling in the pots he pulled in tonight
                                              Her sky-ness
                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Havent posted in a few days because of the Bruce event this weekend, had a session tonight and instead of darragh watching me play, I watched him play which was very interesting, I found him to be a very good player.

It was amazing listening to him predicting what kind of hands the other person had, and watching him making bets against that person that I deffo wouldnt make , that is also something I need to work on, trying to figure out what the other person is holding.

I asked him to go into more detail re: pokertracker as I dont seem to be using it much while playing as I didnt understand it fully, so did a nice bit of work on that and will start using it more to check the stats before action.

cant wait till im pulling in the pots he pulled in tonight
                                                another good read, good luck with this

Comment

We hadn't done a session in a few days, and I wanted to try something a little different this time. Rather than me watching her play, I had her watch me. This is a good process as it changes the dynamic of the coaching. It allows the student to ask the coach why he did something, rather than the coach ask the student. This leads to different questions and in my experience can be very useful. I felt like I probably did a bit too much talking this session, but Michelle asked some very useful questions at the end, regarding which stats are important.

This is actually an area I need to improve in. I use a small section of stats very well, but there are many that are probably useful, but I ignore. One of the benefits of coaching for the coach is that it makes clear to them what area's they need to improve in.

One other new topic that we went to in detail tonight was game selection, and how important it is regarding win-rates and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                    We hadn't done a session in a few days, and I wanted to try something a little different this time. Rather than me watching her play, I had her watch me. This is a good process as it changes the dynamic of the coaching. It allows the student to ask the coach why he did something, rather than the coach ask the student. This leads to different questions and in my experience can be very useful. I felt like I probably did a bit too much talking this session, but Michelle asked some very useful questions at the end, regarding which stats are important.

This is actually an area I need to improve in. I use a small section of stats very well, but there are many that are probably useful, but I ignore. One of the benefits of coaching for the coach is that it makes clear to them what area's they need to improve in.

One other new topic that we went to in detail tonight was game selection, and how important it is regarding win-rates and so on.
                                                    Great stuff again.
                                                    When are you going to send on the link so we can all watch you play
                                                    sigpic

Comment

Had a shite couple of days, first time on a loss, the only thing i can think that went wrong was i was i playing two 1/2 c tables and 2 2/4 tables , maybe im not ready to move up yet as i found it slightly harder and i also got a few bad beats.

even though 2/4 cent blinds is only pence, the tables were slightly more aggressive, and you can lose quite alot if involved in a pot. its a pain because you take so long buliding a bankroll and can quite easily lose it, by just slightly moving up stakes and that was only a couple of tables.

so got up this morning got herself off to school and opened 4 tables 1/2c and then decided to try 5 tables. all went well no problems and made a little profit.

played again tonight for a couple of hours and chanced 6 tables again I was fine and made more profit, thank god, so on the rise again.

I feel to make a profit and to make it quickly it is better to play as many tables as you feel comfortable with.

It takes a lot of concentration and I know have a touch of a headache and a slight pain in the back of my neck!

im still not playing as much as i should be, going to have to push myself more, its not fun at all and is quite monotonous , but its great to see myself improving on certain aspects of the game.
                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

You'll learn that you can run absolutely terribly, worse than you imagined possible. This is particularly difficult when playing multiple tables because it happens so fast and so dramatically that you don't have to time to get your head around it and get back on the level for the next time you play. It's one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult skill to develop if you are going to take multi-tabling online cash seriously. I still haven't managed it!

Comment

You'll learn that you can run absolutely terribly, worse than you imagined possible. This is particularly difficult when playing multiple tables because it happens so fast and so dramatically that you don't have to time to get your head around it and get back on the level for the next time you play. It's one of the most difficult, if not the most difficult skill to develop if you are going to take multi-tabling online cash seriously. I still haven't managed it!
                                                          well in a way what you say is a relief to me as I thought to myself , fuck this cant be right I am supposed to be going forward not backwards, what am I doing wrong.

Anytime I have ran bad , I have closed the whole lot down and walked away, i dont know is this a good thing or a bad thing, i find my head has to be clear before i can go back and try to improve on things.
                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Michelle I always stop when I have a bad session too. Some people have this incredible ability to grind through it, but I've found I just don't have that. I too need to only play when my head is clear, so don't worry about that. You're doing it the right way for you.
                                                            Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 23-09-11, 02:19.
                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I usually keep going but i think in most cases its better to stop.
                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I usually keep going and move up the stakes, quite successfully about 30% of the time
                                                                That was the old me though.......... I hope
                                                                sigpic

Comment

Anytime I have ran bad , I have closed the whole lot down and walked away, i dont know is this a good thing or a bad thing, i find my head has to be clear before i can go back and try to improve on things.
                                                                  Hey michelle, in the short run this is definitely a great idea, but once you start getting used to grinding online poker, you will overcome the urge to quit and keep playing. I will admit though it took me about 2 years to master this part of poker and once you do, you will start making good money. Keep up the good work, you are a really lucky person as HJ is one of the best poker minds around at NL.

Comment

Any update on this SatNav, now that the aunty has fecked off or are u taking a few days off to reduce the life tilt???

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                      Any update on this SatNav, now that the aunty has fecked off or are u taking a few days off to reduce the life tilt???
                                                                      Aunt only left yesterday. And I'm heading to kilarney in the morning so we won't be back in track till next week. Hell for leather then LOL
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Aunt only left yesterday. And I'm heading to kilarney in the morning so we won't be back in track till next week. Hell for leather then LOL
                                                                        Good Luck in Kilarney!!! Make sure u scoop!!

Comment

Gl in your quest michelle, interesting concept b good to see how u get on long term

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMcG View Post
                                                                            Gl in your quest michelle, interesting concept b good to see how u get on long term
                                                                            hey shane welcome to the darkside lol
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

#98
                                                                              good chance to use your next blog to pimp out your facebook competition

Comment

#99
                                                                                Ye were probably wondering where we were gone as I havent updated in a while, well I had relations here for nearly a week , then I had Killarney , then I needed about 4 days to get over the effects of Killarney

Ok so the latest is we have moved from ipoker to Entraction , I was getting no rake which was one reason and secondly the players on ipoker arnt that bad.

My last few days on Ipoker were dodgy enough and I ended up going back to where I started, I actually hated the feeling of going back to where I started, really annoyed me as it took ages to make a little profit.

Last night I was having major problems with Pokertracker and Entarction it drove me mad so much so after another 3 hours this morning of googling and posting on forums that I had to contact Daragh to help me out which of course he did in the matter of mins

Once this was sorted i was very excited as I was now moving to 5/10 cent blinds which is a fairly big jump from 1/2.

It all went badly wrong and I just kept losing, I wasnt really used to the layout of site and there were a couple of things I didnt like, plus I could only manage 3 tables comfortably where as on ipoker I managed 6. I was also finding it hard to see my position at the table as the button was so small, I always look for the button to see where im at.

so after being down around 30 quid , i closed it all down and did a few things around the house, cleared my head and opened 3 tables , paused the tv and told myself cop the fuck on and concentrate.

thank god it went well I recuperated the loss. I finished up then as I really was feeling tired and found my first day at the level tiring, I will start back in the morning.

Her sky-ness
                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

congrats on the boyle poker comp aswell

Comment

any update michelle how you getting on???

Comment

Had an awful week last week on the 5/10 c, it was so bad that I havent played since thursday as I need to go over it with HJ.

I dont find the 5/10c much different to the 1/2c so not sure what happened.
                                                                                      I think Ill start back tonight, as im in form for it , I deffo was not in form all weekend.

I dont know was it my bad play or just unlucky probably a bit of both id say, Im actually so dissapointed that i dont want to put the chart up but I will anyway.

Daragh has been on hols all last week so havent been chatting much but will probably speak to him some time tomorrow.

Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Keep the head Up Michelle what you will learn in the next two weeks or so is what will seperate you from a lot of players, learning how to review sessions, learn from mistakes and plug leaks in you game!

enjoy the up swing that will come and in a couple of months when your crushing 50nl/100nl you'll look back on these post and laugh!!

Comment

how many tables are you playing now and how do you find it?

Comment

Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                                                                                            how many tables are you playing now and how do you find it?
                                                                                            I was fairly ok with 6 on ipoker at 1/2c, but now iv switched to Entraction and 5/10c , im only comfortable with 4 tables.
                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Out of curiosity has this died a death?
                                                                                              a shame if it has

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                                                                Out of curiosity has this died a death?
                                                                                                a shame if it has
                                                                                                no , HJ was in spain on hols , we were meant to start back this morning but TBH I couldnt look at poker after the weekend.
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

How's this going?

Any chance of seeing a graph from start to now?

Comment

Ya, i was wondering the same myself. Im not saying that it has stopped or whatever but if it did it would not shock me. Developing someone into a grinder is really tough i would imagine and im pretty sure not everyone can do it. Then again MSN seemed to be adapting very well at the start.

The above statement has nothing to do with MSN/HJ but its why i am so interested in it. I really thought HJ would have took the easy route as there was one person i noticed who applied who would have had so much experience in other forms of poker/grinding. It would have been the easier route to have gone down. The fact he took the tougher route makes this challenge all the more interesting.
                                                                                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I havent played in over 3 weeks mainly due to a big loss over a couple of days when i switched to 5/10 c, myself and HJ also have had little contact in these last few weeks either, I dont know am I to blame for this or not. bit of both I think.

TBH I will take the blame for not playing enough as I deffo wasnt, the loss scared the shite out of me and I feel I could have done with some in depth sessions after, but i know HJ went away for a while.

its not as easy as I first thought ,I deffo didnt play as much as i should have either, I was only managing maybe 3 hours a day and if i lost was not inclined to go back, bit embarrassing really .

we started with $313 at the moment there is $189 in the account and I dont want to go near it till I speak to himself, also my Poker tracker free trial is up.

Maybe HJ will come on and post so and we can sort something out
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

I remember reading in the old place a post by Phantom Lord who wrote a great thread about bankroll managment. Where he said in order to play 2c4c you would need a min of $800 so going by this you were'nt rolled for 1c2c never mind 5c10c.

Was it your idea to jump to the 5c10c or HJs either way I think its wrong.

Maybe some1 round here mite be able to dig it out and pass it on to you.

I found it great tbh hopefully if some1 can find it you will too
                                                                                                        http://www.sitnpoker.com/?amigosid=18

Comment

Hmmm 200 buyins for 4NL seems extreme!

20-30 is usually when people move up.

Comment

Suggestion ...

I havent played in over 3 weeks mainly due to a big loss over a couple of days when i switched to 5/10 c, myself and HJ also have had little contact in these last few weeks either, I dont know am I to blame for this or not. bit of both I think.

TBH I will take the blame for not playing enough as I deffo wasnt, the loss scared the shite out of me and I feel I could have done with some in depth sessions after, but i know HJ went away for a while.

its not as easy as I first thought ,I deffo didnt play as much as i should have either, I was only managing maybe 3 hours a day and if i lost was not inclined to go back, bit embarrassing really .

we started with $313 at the moment there is $189 in the account and I dont want to go near it till I speak to himself, also my Poker tracker free trial is up.

Suggestion ... Dont wait for HJ to come on and post ...

-- plan the next week to 10 days ( and calculate the number of hours you can play )
                                                                                                            -- back to basics with regard to the level you are happy with and the number of tables
                                                                                                            -- implement what HJ has recommended/suggested to date
                                                                                                            -- START ENJOYING PLAYING AGAIN ...

Contact HJ either by text or phone, tell him about the plan ... and arrange to review in a few days ...

note: weather is crap at the moment ... I have struggled to go running the last few nights ... my coach isnt around ... but he will be happy in a few days time to see that I continued in his absence.

-- Look at the initial posts when HJ launched this idea ... it is still a brilliant opportunity ... you have the talent ... he selected you based on characteristics and personality strenghts.

-- Good Luck over the coming days ....

Comment

Dont feel like that. I personally dont think this sort of poker suits you not that i know you in any great way or shape. I feel you had a pure love for poker and grinding would have taken this from you. I would still urge you to stay at this project if you feel you can as you will have the potential to learn how to make more money than a hell of a lot of jobs. If you dont stick at it i dont see it as a failure on either side.

The Brian Byrne project worked but that lad was born to grind and just had that online poker personality. This will not be the case for everyone that makes the effort.

I know you have taken shit on here before but you wont get any if this is a failure. If i was you id move down and try motivate yourself again if its not happening then oh well. Im sure you will have taken some invaluable knowledge that will aid your live game.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
                                                                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Hmmm 200 buyins for 4NL seems extreme!

20-30 is usually when people move up.
                                                                                                                All depends on so many variables i personally use about a 100 buyin rule at minimum.
                                                                                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

no money in cash games everyone is solid

play Mtts

Comment

Think you're always gonna have times when between the two of ye lives will intervene.

You made great progress initially, ye've had a bit of time where it hasn't suited ye to spend a lot of time at this, just sync up with HJ again and get back on track!

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                                      All depends on so many variables i personally use about a 100 buyin rule at minimum.
                                                                                                                      Obv but if you need 200 buying for 4nl, you've got problems! I think while 100 is ideal, it costs you a lot of EV along the way while moving up levels, but I agree that if you reach your max EV level, 100 is desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                                                        no money in cash games everyone is solid

play Mtts
                                                                                                                        mtts are solid aswell

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                                                          mtts are solid aswell
                                                                                                                          Every game seems solid when your muck not directed at yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X