This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hectorjelly & SatNav's highs & lows

OK just had my first session with Daragh, You wouldnt believe how nervous I was.
    I downloaded Teamviewer which is very handy altogether
    I also had to download Pokertracker 3 and pokerstove , I genuinely have no idea how they work, but i'm sure after a few days will start to understand.

You have to remember im not a big online player especially not cash games, im used to walking out the door and playing live, and even at that I have alot to learn.

So we start off with a bankroll of $313.00 all thanks to Noel who without him this wouldnt be happening.

Myself and Daragh had a brief chat ( nice posh accent, unlike my boggers one )
    Opened one table 2/4cents, and he told me to play as i normally would, but I didnt play as loose as I normally would as I was aware of him watching everything and i really didnt want to make any mistakes.
    Daragh then told me to open another table 1/2 cents.

Not really going to go into hands as such just yet but the biggest thing I have learned in a little over an hour is the amount of folding I am doing ( have to do) it was unbelievable, I played very little , folding hands that I would never had in a million years folded before, due to my position at the table.

I also had to keep an eye on other players funds at the table, which to be honest , in the past I wouldnt have noticed, I would in tournament play but not really in an online cash game, i know now this very important.

I found the first session fairly ok, and i was trying to take alot in and found it quite tiring as I do struggle with the maths side of things, but Im so eager to learn and its not going to happen overnight , not a chance, but im even more excited about it all now after one session.

Daragh explains things very well and was very patient with me at times.

As I said earlier we started with $313.00 and finished up on $311.90 .
    Its not a huge loss but nevertheless its still a loss, but I have to be prepared for losses I guess.

ye will have to be patient with me on some stuff as I know nothing about graphs/charts and all that fancy stuff.

so thats it , first post out of the way.
    Last edited by SatNav; 05-09-11, 23:16.
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

nice gl hope it goes well

Comment

subscribes. epic thread will be epic

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
        subscribes. epic thread will be epic
        please go easy on me, as this is hard enough, I have lots and lots to learn so just want everyone to be patient with me.
        Dont want anyone to take the piss, im very determined to well through out this.
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

GL Michelle. It'll be tough.

Comment

Good luck Michelle, sounds like you've already killed one of the basic errors in your game by understanding position. Would be interested to hear HJ's take on the first session. The highlight would be how many times he had to tell you to "Just shut the fck up and listen for a minute woman"

Comment

Best of luck with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                Good luck Michelle, sounds like you've already killed one of the basic errors in your game by understanding position. Would be interested to hear HJ's take on the first session. The highlight would be how many times he had to tell you to "Just shut the fck up and listen for a minute woman"

yes Id like to hear his thoughts too on how i played, believe it or not i was quite shy

now lets not derail the thread tony TY
                Her sky-ness
                © 5starpool

Comment

Gl with this lads. MSN you could at least get his name right in the thread title to start off on the right foot

Comment

Best of luck in this Daragh & Michelle ship ship
                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Good luck with this. You are with the right person.

Despite what some people think I'm not against coaching /runs away covering head.

Comment

Best of luck Darragh.What is she teaching you?
                        Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
                          please go easy on me, as this is hard enough, I have lots and lots to learn so just want everyone to be patient with me.
                          Dont want anyone to take the piss, im very determined to well through out this.
                          Just keep posting like your first post above and I think we can all learn from this gig. i believe the guy is an unreal player. GL...

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                            Best of luck Darragh.What is she teaching you?
                            How to understand "The Secret"

GL with this MSN

Comment

Best of luck with this

Comment

This was just the first in a very long series of sessions. The idea at the start is to cover a lot of different areas in brief, which we will then go into in detail at a later date. Most of this session was spent setting up Pokertracker and various other administrative tasks.

Things we covered were:

The importance of position, and some thoughts on opening ranges.
                                Playing in an efficient manner.
                                How to crudely construct a range using pokerstove. We came up with a good theoretical hand for this. We raise XX on the button, and both blinds calls. The flop comes up K44, both check and we bet. The big blind calls.

His range goes: Preflop 100% - Flop 30% - Turn 9%

Assuming he calls 30% of hands pre, then folds anything but a king or a four on the flop.

We will be going back to this example to use as a guide to how many barrels to fire.

Michelle is very enthusiastic and seems to have a very good attitude towards this project. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Comment

Great days read so far, well done and good luck to you both, hope the blogging keeps up to this standard, Tyler would be proud imo

Comment

Excellent! Looking forward to reading this, especially if it will continue to have both coach and student interpretation.

Comment

Great read so far lads, good luck with it
                                      sigpic

Comment

Good luck with this guys keep the posts coming we all might learn something

Comment

Gl to both of ye with this. HJ is an excellent teacher I'm sure you will learn lots MSN.
                                          Just remember after a few sessions there will be days when you really don't want to do it these days will be the making of you as a player if you can learn to excercise the patience neccessary to stick with HJ's methods.

Gl again.

Comment

Kinda reminds me of Shawshank Redemption, when Andy Dufresne educates Tommy.

Comment

Best of luck in this Daragh & Michelle

I think a lot off us can learn somthing from this thread

Comment

Originally posted by danutpeddler View Post
                                                Kinda reminds me of Shawshank Redemption, when Andy Dufresne educates Tommy.
                                                can hardly remember the film so long ago since I watched it, so therefore Tom I dont know whether to thank your post or not, knowing you it probably best not to
                                                Her sky-ness
                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Best of luck with this SatNav, I really hope its a success.
                                                  twitter
                                                  moneybookers

Comment

I must have missed how all this came about
                                                    best of luck MSN
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Can't believe I didn't notice this. Good luck with this Michelle, listen to everthing HJ is saying.... to be honest I am jealous as fuck.... he has an excellent track record
                                                      Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Good luck to both, michelle i hope you take this serious as its a pretty much a once is a lifetime opportunity u have here.

Comment

I think tonight went really well , I was starting to feel more comfortable chatting to Daragh tonight and I asked alot more questions. Today I had a look around youtube for videos on poker tracker and and found one that really helped me.Thankfully it was not as hard as I thought it would be, I can now see why people use this software, I found it very handy , So I now know what VPIP means fairy simple little things that im learning to glance at every now and then.

I played around 260 hands around 9pm before Daragh checked in , I had definitely taken alot of his advice on board from last night, so I was more confident and made a small profit.
                                                          Main thing here was knowing my position, I actually still cant believe the cards Im laying down preflop, which probably shocks me so much because typically i am a loose player.

But now I understand why position it is so important, that lovely looking J 10 suited aint much good to me calling out of posistion, also before I started this with daragh , i would be inclined to sit into a 1/2 cent cash game and think ah what the fuck its pence, lets call everything and go all and go mad and try and make money quickly, but now i know i am going to learn absolutely nothing from that and to move up in stakes and make money , you have to start at the bottom to learn the basics, to me that is an important lesson after only a couple of hours with daragh.

Actually anyone who wants to do this should deffo start off in 1/2 cents game, you wont loose a fortune and if you play correctly and take note of your mistakes , it can only be a good thing .

Tonight We also found I was not betting enough, i was inclined to bet half the pot when i should have bet more on most occasions.

I played 3 tables tonight when i finished the session with daragh as he thought i would be able for it as i was well able to hold a conversation and play.

so overall today im in profit and the kitty is up to $318.80

I feel my posts are a bit amateur as i have loads to learn but I am almost certain that there are loads of lurkers and posters who might benefit from them, well i hope so
                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

I think tonight went really well , I was starting to feel more comfortable chatting to Daragh tonight and I asked alot more questions. Today I had a look around youtube for videos on poker tracker and and found one that really helped me.Thankfully it was not as hard as I thought it would be, I can now see why people use this software, I found it very handy , So I now know what VPIP means fairy simple little things that im learning to glance at every now and then.

I played around 260 hands around 9pm before Daragh checked in , I had definitely taken alot of his advice on board from last night, so I was more confident and made a small profit.
                                                            Main thing here was knowing my position, I actually still cant believe the cards Im laying down preflop, which probably shocks me so much because typically i am a loose player.

But now I understand why position it is so important, that lovely looking J 10 suited aint much good to me calling out of posistion, also before I started this with daragh , i would be inclined to sit into a 1/2 cent cash game and think ah what the fuck its pence, lets call everything and go all and go mad and try and make money quickly, but now i know i am going to learn absolutely nothing from that and to move up in stakes and make money , you have to start at the bottom to learn the basics, to me that is an important lesson after only a couple of hours with daragh.

Actually anyone who wants to do this should deffo start off in 1/2 cents game, you wont loose a fortune and if you play correctly and take note of your mistakes , it can only be a good thing .

Tonight We also found I was not betting enough, i was inclined to bet half the pot when i should have bet more on most occasions.

I played 3 tables tonight when i finished the session with daragh as he thought i would be able for it as i was well able to hold a conversation and play.

so overall today im in profit and the kitty is up to $318.80

I feel my posts are a bit amateur as i have loads to learn but I am almost certain that there are loads of lurkers and posters who might benefit from them, well i hope so

Good post, very honest and looks like your making quick progress. WP

Comment

Im going to be very interested in how you feel about poker as a grind playing 6 tables or whatever. Its so different to what you were used to im just wondering will you lose some of the love for poker that you have.

Im sure if the $$$ are rolling in you wont care. Good luck in it once again i think il enjoy following the log.
                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                Im going to be very interested in how you feel about poker as a grind playing 6 tables or whatever. Its so different to what you were used to im just wondering will you lose some of the love for poker that you have.

Im sure if the $$$ are rolling in you wont care. Good luck in it once again i think il enjoy following the log.
                                                                Thats a very good point as Im sure its far from the fun and craic you would have at a live tourney.

I struggled slightly with the 3 tables but it wasnt that i couldnt watch everything, it was the layout of the tables on the screen , which when i tiled them seemed far too small and the pokertracker thing was in my way on the betting slider/box and i had to move them around, which really annoys me.

Both nights with daragh and these were not majorly long sessions have left me tired with a slight stress pain in the back of my neck but I think thats because I am trying to take so much in and every couple of rounds I would run into some kind of a problem that I wasnt sure what to do , which in my eyes is the way i want it so i can learn from them. like for example bluffing on the flop and getting a caller and wondering what way to deal with that, which can differ depending on what came on the flop.

Its only very early days yet so hopefully, it will become second nature to me after a while.
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Thats a very good point as Im sure its far from the fun and craic you would have at a live tourney.

I struggled slightly with the 3 tables but it wasnt that i couldnt watch everything, it was the layout of the tables on the screen , which when i tiled them seemed far too small and the pokertracker thing was in my way on the betting slider/box and i had to move them around, which really annoys me.

Both nights with daragh and these were not majorly long sessions have left me tired with a slight stress pain in the back of my neck but I think thats because I am trying to take so much in and every couple of rounds I would run into some kind of a problem that I wasnt sure what to do , which in my eyes is the way i want it so i can learn from them. like for example bluffing on the flop and getting a caller and wondering what way to deal with that, which can differ depending on what came on the flop.

Its only very early days yet so hopefully, it will become second nature to me after a while.
                                                                  I guess even if you dont turn into a 16 table grinder the stuff you learn in this will stand to your overall poker game.
                                                                  Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

gl with this to you both. Michelle, I'd imagine the real rewards will come in this once you realise the stuff you talk about in your conversations are not the basics anymore, and that you are doing them almost automatically at that point. It is not so much about the money during this process, it is enabling you to have the tools to make money at the game after the process is complete.

I have no idea where this will end up for you, as I'd guess a lot of people don't have the type of brain (not to be confused with intelligence) to be good at poker, but getting coaching from someone who clearly knows the game all the way up to midstakes poker (at least) is a great way to start out, and is an opportunity very few people get, especially for free. I know you are too stubborn to fail from lack of effort though, so I can foresee good things.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol Peter View Post
                                                                      Good luck to both, michelle i hope you take this serious as its a pretty much a once is a lifetime opportunity u have here.
                                                                      To be honest Pete, I really don't think that HJ would have taken on Michelle as a pupil if he did not think she was able for it. She has shown determination over the last while for many things she has done and now she is taking that grit and determination to the poker table.

I also do not think Michelle would have put herself into a position where she could get eaten alive on here if she did not think she could do it either.

Good luck MSN, but you wont need it as you know you can do this

Comment

good luck with this lads,MSN the posts are great, keep em comeing and all the best.
                                                                        Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

This is brillant, Great to see this up and running!! Well done to all involved can't wait to follow the success

Comment

Class. The best of luck to you both.

Comment

#39
                                                                              MSN don't be worried about the posts whatsoever. In 5/6 months looking back through this thread you will really enjoy seeing how you developed if you continue being open and honest in your thoughts over time.

Definitely keep posting exactly how you are. It's a cool insight

Comment

#40
                                                                                Its going to be a long and grinding struggle but you will get there

Looking forward to reading your daily log and hope HJ can put some up to on his thoughts

Gl MSN were all rooting and following for you on here

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Do you have an idea yet on how many tables you plan to play?

Why did you choose cash over other formats?

Good Luck.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                                                                                    Do you have an idea yet on how many tables you plan to play?

Why did you choose cash over other formats?

Good Luck.
                                                                                    I think it is going to end up with me playing 6 tables, any other info you need you will find here

Her sky-ness
                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

#43

Why did i think of this show?

Comment

#44
                                                                                        I didnt have any session with Daragh last night , so I thought well I may start on my own and open three tables and see how I get on.

I had no problems whatsoever playing three tables once I got into it, after a half hour my eyes naturally darted around the place, from position to chip amounts, only once I got a bit excited and slight panic when I had A K , QQ , AK on all three tables ( be great if that happened all the time) but I managed fine.

One thing I have discovered is you really should be a good frame of mind to sit down and play for a few hours , I actually wasnt in the best of form as I have the flu, but I knew I had to do it if I was to gain the experience.

I played around 600 hands and ended up being at a loss of around a 7 quid, which was very disappointing , the main loss came from me having KK on J high board, he had JJ, so lost over 3 quid in the pot.

I noticed if you lose money in these small stakes that it takes absolutely ages to try and build it back up again and you deffo need the patience of a saint , after about 2 hours of play , I decided to finish up and return later , which I did and made back a little of what I lost , bringing me back to where I started. so no loss no profit, so really have to start all over again .

Im in flying form today so really looking forward to tonight, maybe going to chance 4 tables and see how I get on.

Think my body is also wondering what the hell is going on as I have eaten no junk food or alcohol since we started which is only a few days and im down 3lbs on the scales

So its all good

EDIT : back in profit
                                                                                        Last edited by SatNav; 08-09-11, 17:52.
                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

#45
                                                                                          ok still getting to grips with this stuff , so i said i post this graph , maybe its too early, looks a bit up and down in my eyes but i played really well today 3 tables sometimes 4 which being honest at times I found tricky, so gonna stick to 3 tables for a week i think.

I also think its a good thing that I post a graph maybe once a week, it will be good for myself to look back on it

Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

#46
                                                                                            What was the big hand there about 2600 hands in Michelle?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                                              I actually dont remember, where can I find that out?

you would be awkward
                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

#48
                                                                                                considering she's played 2400, asking her about future events is rough!

Think you meant 2260...

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  I actually dont remember, where can I find that out?

you would be awkward
                                                                                                  It depends if you have been saving your hand histories or not. I was just being nosey, nvm keep it up

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    It depends if you have been saving your hand histories or not. I was just being nosey, nvm keep it up

Are they not automatically saved in Pokertracker if not tell me how please.
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      There was an interesting comment you made above about frame of mind when playing. I think its huge in the scheme of things. I never grinded after a hangover as i really hadnt the head to cope with losses and tilt quicker etc.....

You also made a comment about taking ages to win back $3 at these stakes wait until your playing 6 or 7 tables you will see crazy swings its all ahead of you. There will be the good and the bad enjoy
                                                                                                      Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        There was an interesting comment you made above about frame of mind when playing. I think its huge in the scheme of things. I never grinded after a hangover as i really hadnt the head to cope with losses and tilt quicker etc.....
                                                                                                        )
                                                                                                        agree with you 100% about frame of mind. When Im hungover or very tired I never play. I just dont seem to make good decisions.

Comment

#53

You also made a comment about taking ages to win back $3 at these stakes wait until your playing 6 or 7 tables you will see crazy swings its all ahead of you. There will be the good and the bad enjoy
                                                                                                          I didnt mean hungover, I just meant general good frame of mind, a clear head and fairly positive form.

I found 4 tables tricky tonight so im dreading 6 tables
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Are they not automatically saved in Pokertracker if not tell me how please.
                                                                                                            I didnt mean hungover, I just meant general good frame of mind, a clear head and fairly positive form.

I found 4 tables tricky tonight so im dreading 6 tables
                                                                                                            I was the same once honestly couldnt believe id ever play 9/10 tables but its amazing how slow moving up with the tables helps. I still could never see myself playing 20+ like some guys.
                                                                                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              I was the same once honestly couldnt believe id ever play 9/10 tables but its amazing how slow moving up with the tables helps. I still could never see myself playing 20+ like some guys.
                                                                                                              thats great to hear, how long did it take you to progress from 4 to 6 approx?
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                thats great to hear, how long did it take you to progress from 4 to 6 approx?
                                                                                                                Good question id say i cant give you a definite answer. I learned to 4 table playing sngs but i really struggled if i was heads up in 2 out of the 4. I packed in sngs and moved to cash it was soon after this i went to 6 tables which i stayed at for a fair while. Im pretty sure i moved up slowly say 4,5,6,7 not 4,6,9. Im pretty sure i even moved back down at times aswell because if you have a bad run variance wise you start to wonder is it because im playing to many tables.It may have taken me a few months but in fairness i wasnt motivated to do it quicker really. Im pretty sure you could be playing 6 tables very quickly and youl be laughing at yourself for thinking its hard.

I even still wont always play 9 tables it depends on my mood. Its just nice to know i can. I never tried playing more than 9 or 10 as 9 fits pretty well on my screen without any major overlap.

Anyway keep up the good work il be keeping an eye on the thread daily as i think its a great read. Its slightly motivating me to even grind a bit more.
                                                                                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  lovin it so far Michelle. Best of luck. Looking forward to u crushin isildur and durr.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    easy now,theres a lot learning here.this is online poker whole different ball game than live,u got a lot to take in, hj is one of the best,but you got to give yourself time to come to terms with online poker,for whats it worth,dont worry about playing a shit load of tables,learn one,then two and onwards and upwards,do it right and do it well.you got one of the best here,use it well!
                                                                                                                    Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Any update from the Weekend SatNav??? ave being hitting refresh all weekend long!!!

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Not a whole pile to report had a session with Daragh on Thursday morning and he showed me how to go back over some hands concentrating on big losses , we replayed the hands and some of them were fairly bad, its great to go back and see where you went wrong!

I also had a look at some myself this morning and found on a few occasions that I had been reraising with A Q, A on the flop and Im at it again reraising the original raiser , I have noticed I have done this on a few occasions, im obviously over rating the AQ.

Another mistake that I have noticed a few times was not keeping an eye on other players cash I would be betting and they would be calling but would have like for example 60 cents left, I should have noticed this and put them all . its kind of worrying me as in if im, not watching things like that on three tables , how am I going to manage with six tables.

I am still in profit but it is so slow to get there and far from fun just in case some might think it is, you have to be fairly alert all the time watching everything and try and think about your actions fairly quickly.

I noticed if I had been dealt great cards on each table that im just hitting the 3x or pot bet button instead of using the slider so I need to address that issue too.

so thats it for now, feeling very alert right now so off to the tables with me!
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X