Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 04-01-19, 11:21   #941
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
I don't know anyone anyway so you can have it. I assume you don't be out near the Blanchardstown area too often?
Class. Not really, usually in the city centre.

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 00:05   #942
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Class. Not really, usually in the city centre.
I'll give you a shout some day I'm going into the city and see if you're around.

Almost finished A Man Called Ove & The Fifth Risk.
So I decided that I don't know nearly enough about Irish History so I did some research and I've settled on RF Fosters Modern Ireland which I've started and JC Becketts The Making of Modern Ireland. They finish at different times but both start at the beginning of the 17th century.
The former is interesting thus far, there's just a depth to the book that feels different to other non-fictions, whereby others have the value of objective data while this has the value of real experience.
I'm really enjoying it, it feels a little more like a journey that simply a collection of facts.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 15:04   #943
BennyHiFi

Further to my progress through Ulysses i've just under 100 pages to go.

The second last chapter, Ithaca, takes the form of 309 questions and answers in the style of a catechism and contains one of the most remarkable passages i've ever read: Bloom proceeds to make cocoa for himself and Stephen Daedalus at his home around 2am.

A kettle sits on the range. Bloom picks it up, turns on the tap to fill the kettle and the narrator asks:

“What in water did Bloom, waterlover, drawer of water, watercarrier, returning to the range, admire?

The answer is breathtaking.
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 15:34   #944
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
I'll give you a shout some day I'm going into the city and see if you're around.

Almost finished A Man Called Ove & The Fifth Risk.
So I decided that I don't know nearly enough about Irish History so I did some research and I've settled on RF Fosters Modern Ireland which I've started and JC Becketts The Making of Modern Ireland. They finish at different times but both start at the beginning of the 17th century.
The former is interesting thus far, there's just a depth to the book that feels different to other non-fictions, whereby others have the value of objective data while this has the value of real experience.
I'm really enjoying it, it feels a little more like a journey that simply a collection of facts.
Thoughts on A Man Called Ove? A bit too touchy-feely or a beautifully moving story?!

Finished the second of his Beartown duo of books last night. Time to move onto something involving things been shot at and car chases and down-on-their-luck detectives.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 15:36   #945
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
Army of none, which I've added to my wishlist on good reads is about AI in warfare and made Bill Gates top 5 books of the year fwiw
Excellent read. Super smart. Was wondering after the first chapter if he might run out of things to say - due to having said everything in that chapter, but not in the slightest.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-01-19, 15:51   #946
Hectorjelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyHiFi View Post
Further to my progress through Ulysses i've just under 100 pages to go.

The second last chapter, Ithaca, takes the form of 309 questions and answers in the style of a catechism and contains one of the most remarkable passages i've ever read: Bloom proceeds to make cocoa for himself and Stephen Daedalus at his home around 2am.

A kettle sits on the range. Bloom picks it up, turns on the tap to fill the kettle and the narrator asks:

“What in water did Bloom, waterlover, drawer of water, watercarrier, returning to the range, admire?

The answer is breathtaking.
Now I can see where O'Briens De Selby comes from
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-01-19, 10:13   #947
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Thoughts on A Man Called Ove? A bit too touchy-feely or a beautifully moving story?!

Finished the second of his Beartown duo of books last night. Time to move onto something involving things been shot at and car chases and down-on-their-luck detectives.
I listened to a podcast a while back that I've mentioned before with Patrick Collison.
A lot of conversation revolved around books but the host asked him about how he likes to run and Collison corrects him with "I don't really like to run but I know it's good for me".That has largely been my approach to reading.
That leads me to A Man called Ove, I think it's one of the most enjoyable books I've read where I've been genuinely so eager to get back to it. I have a couple of chapters left but it's brilliant, I think adding in more fiction and reading for enjoyment is well worth it so I've bought quite a few since I picked it up.

Also, I finished the Fifth Risk which was quite good, I'm not particularly well versed in American Politics though but still enjoyable, I've started listening to The Undoing Project which I know you like, I thought after reading Thinking Fast & Slow, I didn't think it was worth reading but I was completely wrong, it's excellent, Tversky seems like a Feynman type character.

Continuing my tight student ways, Guns Germs & Steel and Leonard Mlodinow's Elastic both 0.99p in Kindle Store today

Last edited by brady23; 10-01-19 at 10:16.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 15:10   #948
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Still finding the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius very tedious going in spite of the definitely superior version brady recommended here but in fairness there are some immense lines in it every now and again.

For example came upon this one last night having just been thinking about good habits of which early rising is always the most aspirational for me.

Quote:
In the morning when thou risest unwillingly, let this thought be present - I am rising to the work of a human being. Why then am I dissatisfied if I am going to do the things for which I exist and for which I was brought into the world?
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 11-01-19, 11:26   #949
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I started Leviathan Wakes last night and suddenly found myself 20% through it which is a fair chunk out of 561 pages.

First time in a long time I've been so gripped from the opening page of a sci-fi novel. Perhaps part of that is due to having seen season 1 of the Expanse so found it easier to visualise, but the opening line in particular is a ripper:

The plot fairly screams along and the chapters jump between POVs in a very episodic way with a little cliff-hanger between each. Excellent read so far.
I am still reading too many books at once. I really need to focus on eliminating this habit. I'm actively reading six books at the moment with two more half-finished on the back-burner.

I actually don't mind having loads on the go at a time of itself, but it's annoying me a lot in the last week for the simple reason that I am finding myself without enough time to read Leviathan Wakes. I'm just past 55% now and I really haven't enjoyed the sheer act of page-turning so much in a very long time.

I really hope the rest of the series maintains this level, I can see myself getting really hooked on these if it does.
Old Yesterday, 13:18   #950
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

The Hod King is out on Tuesday, for anyone who enjoyed Senlin Ascends and the other one.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games