HectorJelly Blog Updates: Mi Casa Es Su Casa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HectorJelly Blog Updates: Mi Casa Es Su Casa

I just had one of the strangest sessions of my life. I arrived home after inadvertently taking the weekend off around 6pm. Feeling guilty about doing no work this weekend I decided to put in a marathon session. I played non-stop from then until 4am, breaking only to give Michelle a short session. I never check my results in the middle of a session, because not knowing if you are up or down allows you to concentrate more on what matters and less on your short term results. One added benefit of doing that is that I get a little excitement at the end of each session. Usually I have a reasonable idea of if I'm up or not, but after ten hours of playing I really had no clue. I thought I was up a little bit, but I had lost some stacks early on and wasn't that optimistic.

The site I play on is pretty antiquated. When you open up the cashier window it briefly flashes up whatever it was the last time you checked, before refreshing to the current balance. This is the first way I find out how I've done in a session. So a couple of minutes ago, when I opened this I was saddened to see my balance drop by about €150. Putting in ten hours of work to actually lose money is quite a depressing experience. (Thank god for rakeback!) I then opened up Pokertracker, and filtered it to show me today's results. It said I was up €855. That's weird. I look back to my cashier screen, and before I opened it it slowly dawned on me, I hadn't paid any attention to that all important 4th digit. I had assume whatever swing I was in for would only be three digits. Cue some music and whiskey to celebrate.

I find it amazing that I had no idea I was up so much. I was playing mostly 25 50, some 50 1 and a few tables of 1 2. I have noticed that nearly all of my biggest winning sessions come when I'm really paying very little attention. For the first hour or so I concentrate hard, but then I start browsing reddit, IPB or 2+2, listening to audiobooks, downloading music or lately, watching OZ. This really should lead to worse results, but doesn't seem to. I'm aware I may be confusing cause and correlation (as if I'm losing I concentrate), but it definitely doesn't lead to significantly worse results.

My project with Michelle has been going really well. You can read about it from both of our perspectives here: http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...871#post404871.

More...
Working...
X