Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    A thing called 'Day of Irish PB's'
    I should sue them for intellectual property infringement!

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
      I should sue them for intellectual property infringement!
      I tried that with muff diving club in Donegal .

Comment

An article for you Laz, came across it in a newsletter I get weekly, thought you & others might enjoy: http://www.ameliabooneracing.com/blo...coveryineeded/

You probably recognise the name, she was due to compete in Barkley this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          Carbonara's nearly done Dom. 'nother 3 mins.
          Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
          Sure it's nearly bed time!

Mad man.
          We occasionally go for dinner here around 7.30 - 8pm but it's only really an opportunity for the locals to point and stare at the weirdos that think eating dinner before 10pm is normal
          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Quick question for the BBV have an old iPhone 6 that's locked (I'm assuming) to the 3 network easiest/cheapest way to get it unlocked?
            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

anyone have an idea why the EU are so intent on importing sub-standard beef from South America?

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                anyone have an idea why the EU are so intent on importing sub-standard beef from South America?
                According to the IT it's only a small amount. Also any part of a trade deal is usually only a very small part in a very large negotiation. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...deal-1.3943334

According to Hitch our beef is actually very poor quality and only used by McDonalds. That's hitch tho

Comment

Is that not a loaded question?
                  Presumably it won't actually be 'sub-standard' but must comply with the standards and regulations that the EU set for beef. It may be lesser beef than say Irish beef, but that doesn't make it sub standard.

As to why (and apologies if it sounds patronising) this is likely one of those trade deal things where we agree to take a certain amount of what they have to offer, and in return they agree to take some product off us.

Comment

Big Beef got to you eh? scary dudes.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Because you gotta speculate to accumulate.

We take an amount of beef and other stuff from them and they take an amount of cars, cranes, computer software and services and whatever other shit we have to sell them.

There is a lot of interesting stuff going to come into the detail of this deal which is quite a distance from being completed. Beef industry's knee jerk down with this sort of thing is typically and predictably moronic. They need to take a good hard look at themselves and try to understand the reasons why, if they are as they say producing the best product in the world, they are not making enough money from it.
                      Another thing is that Europe may be able to leverage the import of beef into make it unattractive to continue cutting down hardwood forests by enforcing controls on which land the beef is produced on.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

John Torode did a show about Argentinian beef. Showed you the grain fed cattle outside Buenos Aires then across country to show the grass fed. Grain fed didnt come out too bad quality wise if you didnt mind a cow never seeing a field. They were held in huge pens with mud and sawdust surface, troughs at the fences for feeding.
                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                          Quick question for the BBV have an old iPhone 6 that's locked (I'm assuming) to the 3 network easiest/cheapest way to get it unlocked?
                          Contact three to get an unlock code from them, webchat works fairly well.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

We take an amount of beef and other stuff from them and they take an amount of cars, cranes, computer software and services and whatever other shit we have to sell them.

There is a lot of interesting stuff going to come into the detail of this deal which is quite a distance from being completed. Beef industry's knee jerk down with this sort of thing is typically and predictably moronic. They need to take a good hard look at themselves and try to understand the reasons why, if they are as they say producing the best product in the world, they are not making enough money from it.
                            Another thing is that Europe may be able to leverage the import of beef into make it unattractive to continue cutting down hardwood forests by enforcing controls on which land the beef is produced on.
                            Is the knee Jerky Argentinian or Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                              Is that not a loaded question?
                              Presumably it won't actually be 'sub-standard' but must comply with the standards and regulations that the EU set for beef. It may be lesser beef than say Irish beef, but that doesn't make it sub standard.

100% a loaded question as it would appear to be, this is mainly brazilian beef we are talking about

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

As to why (and apologies if it sounds patronising) this is likely one of those trade deal things where we agree to take a certain amount of what they have to offer, and in return they agree to take some product off us.

Not patronizing at all, I understand people do things for a reason hence the question,
                              I was just wondering did anyone know who was benefiting from this deal, it appears to be the germans and their car industry,

Ironically EU on the one hand talking about protecting the environment, then increases Brazil imports on beef which is destroying rain forests and using banned chemicals etc and then simultaneously selling there dirty diesel cars which they lied about their emission tests to sell in europe etc

Comment

Comment

May be of interest.

Originally posted by Peregrinus
                                  Originally posted by 20silkcut
                                  Yes without getting into too much detail there are massive ongoing food safety concerns with Brazilian beef and the US and China have banned its import.

A quick google will tell ya all you need to know.

And yes it does tie into brexit.
                                  This demonstrates that the EU is fully prepared to abandon its own standards in light of the brexit situation it is a very worrying development.
                                  It is the throw under the bus moment.
                                  We just did not predict it would be this bus.
                                  And it may not be the last thing thrown under a bus.

I have to say, no, I don't think so. The Mercosur trade agreement doesn't come with any exemptions from EU product standards. It only authorises the increased importation of beef which meets EU standards, and the EU continues to police standards on the ground in Brazil. There have been problems with Brazilian beef exports to other countries, but the EU is much more active in enforcement of its product standards, and has at various time imposed blanket bans on Brazilian beef, bans on beef from specified provinces of Brazil or bans on beef other than from specified Brazilian ranches. The Mercosur deal doesn't change any of this. If there is evidnece of quality problems with Brazilian beef imported into the EU, now is the time to link to it.

Originally posted by Peregrinus
                                  Originally posted by 20silkcut
                                  Google Brazilian beef traceability for yourself .
                                  It’s all there.

The deal clearly states that it will allow 100,000 tonnes of this beef to be sold in the EU. That’s not a claim it’s a fact.
                                  Yes, but it doesn't say that it's allowed to be sold whether or not it complies with EU beef standards. Of course, it doesn't allow that.

I take the point you make about traceability. But, remember, traceability isn't about protecting the consumer; it's largely for the benefit of producers. It's about locating problems in the beef production chain so that (a) producers who aren't at fault aren't penalised, and (b) problems can be tackled and eliminated.

If, as you say, in some areas of Brazil farm boundaries are non-existent, then traceability to an individual farm would be pointless at best; misleading at worst. Would the EU ban beef from an entire country, or a province, or a particular plant, if they couldn't identify the farm at fault? Of course they would; they have done that in the past. Frequently. They don't wait for even "1 or 2 deaths" either.

And this wouldn't "jeopardise the entire FTA", since there is no provision in the FTA which allows the import of substandard beef, so such a measure would not breach the FTA. While it might obviously piss off the farmers affected by the ban, particularly those who consider that they themselves are not responsible for the problem, it would please other farmers within the Mercosur area, since (unless affected by a similar ban due to problems in the production chain of which they are part) they would remain free to sell to the EU, and the quota would be available to them.

These issues arise with or without the Mercosur trade deal. The EU is not self-sufficient in beef, and the excess of consumption over production is projected to grow. So there will be more and more imports, if not from Mercosur countries then from non-Mercosur countries. The quality standards, and the challenge of enforcing them, arise in either case. Arguably, the security of having a quota for export to the EU gives the Mercosur beef producers an incentive to invest in quality assurance systems so that they can be confident of being able to take advantage of the quota.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                    Easiest and cheapest way is to get the owner of the device to request an unlock from Three which should be free. Its 100% beyond being tied to a contract as its an old handset so there shouldn't be any reason for three to refuse unless the contract was never paid off or the iphone was stolen -> https://www.three.ie/unlock-my-phone/

If you want to pay for the service should three not play ball, its going to about €100 from an ebay seller with decent feedback but YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                      Sunday: Wimbledon Mens Final for the 5 set thriller between Federer and Djok. Major sporting bucket list item checked off the list.
                                      How did you score that? (he asked jealously)

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                        just catching my breath after an epic weekend in London...

Friday: Dinner in Bentleys before decamping to Queens Theatre to see Les Miserables. Cracking show.

Saturday: Florence & The Machine and The National at BST Hyde Park.

Sunday: Wimbledon Mens Final for the 5 set thriller between Federer and Djok. Major sporting bucket list item checked off the list.
                                        As shameless brags go that's a quality one

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                          An article for you Laz, came across it in a newsletter I get weekly, thought you & others might enjoy: http://www.ameliabooneracing.com/blo...coveryineeded/

Very good article. I wasn't familiar with her.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            By the way, I'd 100% recommend a day out at Lords. Completely different to any other stadium experience you can have. The word ramshackle is probably appropriate.

You can bring in one bottle of wine per person. When that's drunk, simply exit the ground for 5 mins and get another. If you get a good relay going with your fellow spectators, you can have a constant supply of nicely chilled white on tap. With cheese of course.
                                            Are you doing the Friday of Ireland v England?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                              Are you doing the Friday of Ireland v England?
                                              no, I'll be in France

Comment

Contact three to get an unlock code from them, webchat works fairly well.
                                                I contacted 3 on Twitter and they sent me a link to get it unlocked.

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                Easiest and cheapest way is to get the owner of the device to request an unlock from Three which should be free. Its 100% beyond being tied to a contract as its an old handset so there shouldn't be any reason for three to refuse unless the contract was never paid off or the iphone was stolen -> https://www.three.ie/unlock-my-phone/

If you want to pay for the service should three not play ball, its going to about €100 from an ebay seller with decent feedback but YMMV.
                                                Per above it shouldn't be a problem hopefully, wouldn't be dropping money to get it unlocked at that price as it's probably only worth about €120
                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I'm writing up a report and I can't for the life me remember when there is missing data on gender how to report the percentages. Let's say 22 participants, 2 missing data on gender, 15 females and 5 males. Do I give the figures as N = 22, 15 females (75%), 5 males (25%), 2 missing data? Or 15 females (68%), 5 males (23%), 2 missing data (9%).

It has to be the first one, but it feels strange to me (I am very, very tired).

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                    I'm writing up a report and I can't for the life me remember when there is missing data on gender how to report the percentages. Let's say 22 participants, 2 missing data on gender, 15 females and 5 males. Do I give the figures as N = 22, 15 females (75%), 5 males (25%), 2 missing data? Or 15 females (68%), 5 males (23%), 2 missing data (9%).

It has to be the first one, but it feels strange to me (I am very, very tired).
                                                    Reporting by gender seems antediluvian hotspur. Aren't we all gender fluid these days?

Comment

Reporting by gender seems antediluvian hotspur. Aren't we all gender fluid these days?
                                                      I had to Google that word. I smiled yesterday at your mentioning one being accosted by trees in Clontarf. The smile was a fond memory of a friend many, many years ago telling me he had been accosted by a tree. I loved that.

Comment

I had to Google that word. I smiled yesterday at your mentioning one being accosted by trees in Clontarf. The smile was a fond memory of a friend many, many years ago telling me he had been accosted by a tree. I loved that.
                                                        Glad to trigger a smile, all part of the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

According to Hitch our beef is actually very poor quality and only used by McDonalds. That's hitch tho
                                                          My dinner disagrees, SuperValu rib eyes, €18 for the 3 of these. They had 33%off.

Indirect for around 20 mins, then seared them.

This too shall pass.

Comment

Was gonna put this in music king but couldn't bear the apparent buffs cutting it up. Great voice great cover .

Comment

Welcome back Ole
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

What's a good spot for a nice value wedding suit in town?

Don't want to go too overboard as I already have a nice one, but have 3 weddings in very short succession so will buy a 2nd(crappier one) for the wedding that's taking place outdoors on a farm .
                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

One for Raoul -> Psithurism

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                    What's a good spot for a nice value wedding suit in town?

Don't want to go too overboard as I already have a nice one, but have 3 weddings in very short succession so will buy a 2nd(crappier one) for the wedding that's taking place outdoors on a farm .
                                                                    Moss bros Dundrum
                                                                    Middle of the road range at good price point

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                      One for Raoul -> Psithurism
                                                                      Psy the hoor?

Wasn't he the gangnam fella?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                          Time to stock up on a reliable VPN if you want to stream Premier League starting next month. PureVPN is great, from the range of them I've used.

Although maybe the most technically and pirately minded of you (DP obv) will be able to confirm that a VPN will work with this type of blocking.
                                                                          Its a common thing in the UK and will only get more common here
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                            Time to stock up on a reliable VPN if you want to stream Premier League starting next month. PureVPN is great, from the range of them I've used.

Although maybe the most technically and pirately minded of you (DP obv) will be able to confirm that a VPN will work with this type of blocking.
                                                                            It’s a great step , hopefully VPNs won’t work.
                                                                            Illegal streaming eroded the fabric of our society, there are now reasonable options (now tv) to pay for sport so if you continue with illegal streaming you are no better than Ronan ryan and Pamela flood not paying their mortgage for 9 years and refusing to move out of house

Comment

Excellent work PSV.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                It’s a great step , hopefully VPNs won’t work.
                                                                                Illegal streaming eroded the fabric of our society, there are now reasonable options (now tv) to pay for sport so if you continue with illegal streaming you are no better than Ronan ryan and Pamela flood not paying their mortgage for 9 years and refusing to move out of house
                                                                                I watch every Tottenham match, mostly live, it is not legally possible to do that.

Comment

I watch every Tottenham match, mostly live, it is not legally possible to do that.
                                                                                  Every match ? Now there's a mental challenge.
                                                                                  You must be a mindfulness black belt .

Comment

Psy the hoor?

Wasn't he the gangnam fella?
                                                                                    I want out Ted.

Comment

I pay for both sky and BT/eir/premier. But have to watch streams of Arsenal getting beaten every week using mobdro or some such because the team I want to watch isn't on those extortionately priced packages.

And I'll endeavour to do so going forward.

Comment

Gonna close this round of music king at 12 today.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                          I pay for both sky and BT/eir/premier. But have to watch streams of Arsenal getting beaten every week using mobdro or some such because the team I want to watch isn't on those extortionately priced packages.

And I'll endeavour to do so going forward.
                                                                                          Ye could both be real fans and make the cheap and short trip over to London for the home games, ye could even travel together for the North London derby.
                                                                                          Live sport isn’t a human right, there’s always match of the day, I also find listening on the radio nearly better as you can potter about doing other things.
                                                                                          Or ye could just keep leeching of the hard work of others. Sky employees just putting food on the table for their families like everyone else

Comment

I was listening to a New Yorker podcast interview with Alexandria Ocasio Cortez during breakfast this morning. Didn't hear anything which impressed me or made me think she will be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                              Ye could both be real fans and make the cheap and short trip over to London for the home games, ye could even travel together for the North London derby.
                                                                                              Live sport isn’t a human right, there’s always match of the day, I also find listening on the radio nearly better as you can potter about doing other things.
                                                                                              Or ye could just keep leeching of the hard work of others. Sky employees just putting food on the table for their families like everyone else
                                                                                              Can ye give a cogent ethical argument about what is morally wrong about watching a match online broadcast from America when you already pay for broadcasting?

Comment

Can ye give a cogent ethical argument about what is morally wrong about watching a match online broadcast from America when you already pay for broadcasting?
                                                                                                Bro, you actually bit???

Comment

Let’s say I go to cousellor x for some counseling. Would me paying him make it Ok to book an hour with you then leg it without paying because I already pay for counseling ?

Comment

I was listening to a New Yorker podcast interview with Alexandria Ocasio Cortez during breakfast this morning. Didn't hear anything which impressed me or made me think she will be a force to be reckoned with in the future.
                                                                                                    She's not particularly impressive, not yet at least, it's been highlighted on both sides of the aisle that she has glaring flaws from a political perspective.

Nevertheless she has the support of many in the party because she has the capacity to reach a demographic. I'd have no doubts she has the capacity to be a candidate in the not too distant future though.

This is just essentially training for her, generate a base without too much political influence, put her as the face of the green new deal, allow her ample time questioning ICE in congress etc and then support her push in 2028 if the situation presents itself.

Comment

She's not particularly impressive, not yet at least, it's been highlighted on both sides of the aisle that she has glaring flaws from a political perspective.

Nevertheless she has the support of many in the party because she has the capacity to reach a demographic. I'd have no doubts she has the capacity to be a candidate in the not too distant future though.

This is just essentially training for her, generate a base without too much political influence, put her as the face of the green new deal, allow her ample time questioning ICE in congress etc and then support her push in 2028 if the situation presents itself.
                                                                                                      Probably more chance of Ivanka being prez in 2028 than yer wan.

Comment

Excellent word Solks. I do enjoy a spot of psithurism as I am being accosted by the verdant verdure.

Comment

I think she's been trained up to be sanders replacement. Don't think she'll get a run at the WH but she probably ticks a lot of boxes for the more red leaning dems

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                                            I think she's been trained up to be sanders replacement. Don't think she'll get a run at the WH but she probably ticks a lot of boxes for the more red leaning dems
                                                                                                            Red = republican.

Did you mean something else? Also; Sanders is a one man band. It'd be like saying 'X is being trained up as Shane Ross's replacement'.

(which is a horrible thought)

Comment

She just does well on twitter, not in the real world.

Comment

Level of competency probably isnt even a top 5 consideration for what makes an electable candidate in modern politics.
                                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

What's the newsletter ?

Comment

Actually thinking about this a bit more, I guess if already playing for sport but the market is not making available a particular match it would be ok to stream it (eg spurs game that none of the providers here are showing. I’d be holding my nose and mentioning it in confession/to my counselor but it’s not the worst.
                                                                                                                    Illegally Streaming the likes of Liverpool v utd, golf majors,boxing just makes you a freeloading parasite though

Comment

I suppose you need someone to generate the adequate amount of uproar on one side.
                                                                                                                      Perhaps she will turn out to be quite good but she obviously has zero chance of achieving anything if she is helping block the likes of Amazon HQ2 in NY.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                      What's the newsletter ?
                                                                                                                      It's not a sport newsletter, just general knowledge stuff, that article just popped up, decent podcast too though: https://fs.blog/newsletter/
                                                                                                                      I think Denny might listen too.

Comment

I only watch GAA on Sky, and the GAA and Sky can bite the back of my sack.

Comment

I suppose you need someone to generate the adequate amount of uproar on one side.
                                                                                                                          Perhaps she will turn out to be quite good but she obviously has zero chance of achieving anything if she is helping block the likes of Amazon HQ2 in NY.

It's not a sport newsletter, just general knowledge stuff, that article just popped up, decent podcast too though: https://fs.blog/newsletter/
                                                                                                                          I think Denny might listen too.
                                                                                                                          Subscribed. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X