A little help if possible :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help if possible :)

Hi lads, Im new to this so stay with me,still trying to find my way around here. I have a website,small but enough for now and I am trying to attract new members all the time,it is working but slowly,which I can understand. I am on facebook also trying to expand all the time and as you can imagine I am trying to keep costs at a minimum for now as I have just started a few months ago running tournaments every 2nd thursday in the very north part of dublin in a town called Balbriggan.

Any suggestions at all would be great to hear, good or bad . I am doing everything myself from start to finish,it is tough but I knew it would be. Looking forward to hearing from all of you, I am sure your comments will be helpful . Thank you, Richie .

Originally posted by nolanholdempoker.com View Post
    Hi lads, Im new to this so stay with me,still trying to find my way around here. I have a website,small but enough for now and I am trying to attract new members all the time,it is working but slowly,which I can understand. I am on facebook also trying to expand all the time and as you can imagine I am trying to keep costs at a minimum for now as I have just started a few months ago running tournaments every 2nd thursday in the very north part of dublin in a town called Balbriggan.

Any suggestions at all would be great to hear, good or bad . I am doing everything myself from start to finish,it is tough but I knew it would be. Looking forward to hearing from all of you, I am sure your comments will be helpful . Thank you, Richie .
    Hey Richie

Welcome to the site here.

Feel free to promote your games on here, the best place to start a thread is in the live tournaments forum (lforum is here), we do ask that anyone promoting games fills out some details about there event, so everything is clear for players, these details cam be found here.

In terms of advice, its good to ask both on here and to your players, listen to what they want and look after them and things should go well

Best of luck with it all

Comment

Thanks kev, I am a little mixed up as it seems that my players want different things but they want to win big money with very little spent. Which is prob impossible provided that I do sats which they dont really seem to be phased by. Any ideas?

Comment

Thanks kev, I am a little mixed up as it seems that my players want different things but they want to win big money with very little spent. Which is prob impossible provided that I do sats which they dont really seem to be phased by. Any ideas?
        Do you do a league as part of your tournaments? Withold a portion of the entry to go to the league prizepool

Also run a slightly larger buy in than normal game every couple of months. Sats into this game and tickets into it as part of first prize in your regular games

Just a couple of things Ive seen work in pub game market. Others might have more ideas though..

Comment

A little help if possible

Hi lads, Im new to this so stay with me,still trying to find my way around here. I have a website which is more of an information board,small but enough for now. I am trying to attract new members all the time,it is working but slowly,which I can understand. I am on facebook also trying to expand all the time and as you can imagine I am trying to keep costs at a minimum for now as I have just started a few months ago running tournaments every 2nd thursday in the very north part of dublin in a town called Balbriggan.

Comment

I've moved out the posts from the 'new to poker thread' to this one you just started Richie, to keep everything in the once place

Comment

Thanks Kev, I Just run tournaments and no leagues at the moment. I want to introduce proper dealers into my games but I dont have many numbers for them. And I am wondering how much they charge per hour or per night. I dont want my games to continue as small pub games or considered as micky mouse games, I want to be as professional as I can.

Comment

As mentioned, i'd definitely run a league, keeps the regulars interested when going through a bad patch and adds to the banter/crack each week. Why not post link to your website? Dealers usually get €10 per hour afaik

Just had a quick look at your gallery and one thing i noticed, might seem trivial, but your chips are the standard generic type dice chips. Why not design a simple logo and get labels printed for them? Doesn't cost an awful lot and looks much more professional plus there is no danger of players sneaking chips into a game.

Also where did you get your tables? They look decent, i might be getting new ones soon.
                Last edited by MayoPokerTour; 21-12-12, 18:56.
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mayo-...0391231?ref=hl

Mayo's longest running and most successful pub poker league. Teach O'Hora, Kiltimagh every Wednesday night, entry €20. Re-entry €20.

Comment

I must admit, I dont know a huge amount about poker leagues or how they are run. In saying that, I would be interested in finding out more information about them. I will have a look at the link now. Thanks, Richie

Comment

Ok so I looked at the FB page. I get the general idea,but how is the points system calculated?

Comment

I must admit, I dont know a huge amount about poker leagues or how they are run. In saying that, I would be interested in finding out more information about them. I will have a look at the link now. Thanks, Richie
                      This how i run mine.

Run for 15 weeks, entry can be whatever suits. Mine is €20 incl €3 reg fee and €2 to the league and €15 to night's prizepool with 1 €20 rebuy allowed all of which goes to night's prizepool to league, also take €30 each night fol league from prizepool.

Points scoring - winner -20, 2nd - 15, 3rd - 12, 4th - 10, 5th - 9, 6th -8, 7th - 7, 8th - 6, 9th -5, 10th - 4, 11-14th - 3, 15th - 18th -2, 18th+ - 1. Points scored each night multiplied by number of players to give bigger reward for winning a bigger tourney, e.g winner of a 25 man tournament gets 500 points, runner up gets 325 points etc whereas winner of a 15 man tournament gets 300 points, runner up gets 225 etc. At end of league the top ten in the table qualify for the final and their starting stacks are based on two criteria:

5 chips for point scored in league, e.g. 1,200 points = 6,000 chips + Bonus Chips for finishing position in league which i score as follows: 1st in league -10,000, 2nd - 7,500, 3rd - 6,500 4th - 6,000, 5th - 5.5k, 7th - 5k, 8th - 4.5k, 9th - 4k, 10th 3.5k.

So if you finish top of the league with 2,000 points your stack for the grand final is 2,000 X 5 = 10,000 + 10,000 bonus = 20,000 stack. 10 th place might have 900 points = 4,5000 + 3,500 bonus = 8,000 starting stack. Might seem complicated at first but benefits are it rewards players who do well in the bigger fields plus keeps interest going right to the end as you are accumulating chips every night. Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by MayoPokerTour; 21-12-12, 19:15.

Mayo's longest running and most successful pub poker league. Teach O'Hora, Kiltimagh every Wednesday night, entry €20. Re-entry €20.

Comment

Just read back my post and im confused now But seriously if you're just starting off might be best to go with a simple 10,9,8,7 etc etc points system for the final table or whatever. You can always change and adapt it as you go on and your own players will have some ideas. One thing i would keep however is the multiplier effect though as this creates extra excitement on a night when there is an unexpectedly large number of entries.

One other thing, we also have a Play Off after 15 rounds, where any player who has played a set minimum of rounds enters a play off where the top two also win seats to the final. This also helps keep interest up as players who have started badly and lost interest will show up fr the final rounds to secure their place in the play off

Comment

A little confusing alright, but ill read over it again ! lol Regarding dealers, how is it that people such as yourself and others can afford to pay dealers at €10 per hour? Hope im not been rude to ask such a question.

Comment

A little confusing alright, but ill read over it again ! lol Regarding dealers, how is it that people such as yourself and others can afford to pay dealers at €10 per hour? Hope im not been rude to ask such a question.
                            Sorry, the weekly pub games are self deal. If i was running a dealered game the reg would be €15, maybe at a push €10 reg fee for certain games.

Comment

Excellent, thanks a mill for all your help ! Really appreciate it ! So I take it you would have a fair amount of seats filled each time that you run games,assuming that the players like the idea of a poker tournament. Is it once a week you run your games or?

Comment

Excellent, thanks a mill for all your help ! Really appreciate it ! So I take it you would have a fair amount of seats filled each time that you run games,assuming that the players like the idea of a poker tournament. Is it once a week you run your games or?
                                Regular weekly game that has been running for 6 years now currently averages about 18, well down from a high of 40+ a few years ago but still holding up well considering. Used to do a monthly 50 freezeout and hope to resurrect that again this year. Plans also to do a few 100 tourneys this year also and will run a small buy in Friday night game to allow players to satellite into them. Try a few different things, different formats etc and you'll soon see what your players want.

Comment

Ah nice one. Well congrats for running so long ! I have been mixing and matching myself. Get the idea that the lads only like the tourney games and no sats, but early days so far. Im looking to get some more tables aswell,have 4 at the moment but im gonna need some new ones soon. There table tops that I have so far.. Know anyone selling 2nd hand tables or table tops? Im constantly looking on donedeal and gumtree,but problem is I dont have a car to collect !

Comment

Ah nice one. Well congrats for running so long ! I have been mixing and matching myself. Get the idea that the lads only like the tourney games and no sats, but early days so far. Im looking to get some more tables aswell,have 4 at the moment but im gonna need some new ones soon. There table tops that I have so far.. Know anyone selling 2nd hand tables or table tops? Im constantly looking on donedeal and gumtree,but problem is I dont have a car to collect !
                                    Ya same here with my players re sats. If i run any for bigger tourneys in the region, they have the option of taking the cash equivalent but for any bigger tourneys im running myself there is no cash option and thats made well clear before the start. But where did you get those actual tables?

Comment

To be honest , I just got them through a pub in the town. The pub in which I run my tourneys in, is a family business. They own a couple of pubs in the town and a few bookies. There was people who ran big games,like maybe 50-100 people in the other pub,but that only lasted a few months because the people that were running it,some of them were playing in the games and they were winning most times + they were taking money out of the prizepool which as you can imagine is a big no no. I have only played 1 of my own games as we were a little short on numbers 1 week. In saying that it is a strict policy of mine not to play. I do not want to make a habit of playing unless its for a bit of craic,no business with pleasure !

Comment

Working...
                                      X