BEST HAND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEST HAND

Not sure if anyone would do this in their local game.In my local,I was told -

"YOU MUST USE YOUR 2 HOLE CARDS"

My cards are A 10

The board was A A 3 A K

Going by rule,i think that means only 3 cards on board can be used. Obviously I stated that my hand was A A A A with 10 kicker and that 4th card (K) on board doesn't come into play.

I stated an identical example where 4th card on board improves hand. If player has 4d 5d and board is 6d 7d 8d 9d and Ks.Should player not have straight flush to 8 for purposes of best hand.I was told that this would win best hand where mine didn't and that you cant make quads with 1 card in your hand.

Should I have won best hand?

Originally posted by luckforsome
    ...No, you must use the 2 hole cards in your hand and 3 cards from the board...
    I am using my 2 hole cards.I am using my 2nd hole card as kicker.

So you're saying you can only get quads when you have pocket pair in your hand.

Also,should it not be like Omaha except you use your 2 cards.

Comment

Originally posted by gerk2015 View Post
      I am using my 2 hole cards.I am using my 2nd hole card as kicker.

So you're saying you can only get quads when you have pocket pair in your hand.

Also,should it not be like Omaha except you use your 2 cards.
      ...never mind I'm still asleep, your right..

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
        ...never mind I'm still asleep, your right..
        If you think I am wrong,dont be afraid to say

Comment

You only have to use 2 hole cards in Omaha not Holdem. You don't have to use either of your cards in holdem if you and up playing the board. What if a royal flush came on the board, do you just ignore that and use your hole cards to make a hand?

And yes you should have won best hand.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
            You only have to use 2 hole cards in Omaha not Holdem. You don't have to use either of your cards in holdem if you and up playing the board. What if a royal flush came on the board, do you just ignore that and use your hole cards to make a hand?

And yes you should have won best hand.
            For purpose of wining best hand the rule in my local game is that you must use your 2 hole cards.so you may only use 3 cards on board.This was in texas holdem.I meant to say it'd be similar to Omaha but u use both ur hole cards.

Comment

If the rules state that you must use both cards to claim the best hand jackpot, then strictly interpreting them your hand failed because the best hand you can make out of the 7 available is AAAAK, which only uses 1 of your hole cards. Bit harsh though, to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post
                If the rules state that you must use both cards to claim the best hand jackpot, then strictly interpreting them your hand failed because the best hand you can make out of the 7 available is AAAAK, which only uses 1 of your hole cards. Bit harsh though, to be fair.
                So,if player has 4d 5d and board is 6d 7d 8d 9d and Ks then even though they have straight flush with both your hole cards they have not got best hand.I think they 4th and 5th cards shouldn't come into play though they may make better hands than 1 u have when you must use both your hole cards.

Comment

If 4th card was 10 or lower,would I get best hand?when you must use both your hole cards then that means you can only use 3 cards on the board.

Comment

Wat the

Where is this game?
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Not sure if anyone would do this in their local game.In my local,I was told -

"YOU MUST USE YOUR 2 HOLE CARDS"

My cards are A 10

The board was A A 3 A K

Going by rule,i think that means only 3 cards on board can be used. Obviously I stated that my hand was A A A A with 10 kicker and that 4th card (K) on board doesn't come into play.

I stated an identical example where 4th card on board improves hand. If player has 4d 5d and board is 6d 7d 8d 9d and Ks.Should player not have straight flush to 8 for purposes of best hand.I was told that this would win best hand where mine didn't and that you cant make quads with 1 card in your hand.

Should I have won best hand?
                      I dont really understand the question. You had four aces, what were you up against to win 'best hand'? Re the second example, you are using your 2 hole cards so whats the issue? I'm presuming the 'best hand' is a separate prize?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        Wat the

Where is this game?
                        Not sure what you mean

Comment

Originally posted by RossiesAbu View Post
                          I dont really understand the question. You had four aces, what were you up against to win 'best hand'? Re the second example, you are using your 2 hole cards so whats the issue? I'm presuming the 'best hand' is a separate prize?
                          all players paid €2 into best hand and is separate prize.best hand that ended up winning was house.the rule is you have to use both your hole cards and you can only use 3 on board for best hand prize.this rule eliminates things like houses where board might be AAAKK and player plays board.

Comment

Rossies,should I have won best hand on nite where next best hand is house?
                            Last edited by gerk2015; 11-07-16, 14:56.

Comment

all players paid €2 into best hand and is separate prize.best hand that ended up winning was house.the rule is you have to use both your hole cards and you can only use 3 on board for best hand prize.this rule eliminates things like houses where board might be AAAKK and player plays board.
                              You didn't mention that in the OP. That's a regular thing in local pub games. Usually at a charity game or something where there's spot prizes. So in this instance I can understand why you have to use both hole cards.

You should have won the pot for that hand with quads but not the "best hand" prize with the €2 entry because you're only using one card for quads.

Comment

You didn't mention that in the OP. That's a regular thing in local pub games. Usually at a charity game or something where there's spot prizes. So in this instance I can understand why you have to use both hole cards.

You should have won the pot for that hand with quads but not the "best hand" prize with the €2 entry because you're only using one card for quads.
                                If board was A A A 2 3 and your hole cards was A 10,would you win best hand?or is the only way to win best hand is to hold pocket pair in your hand?

Comment

Bu if you used your 2 hole cards you still had 4 aces didnt you? Your hand is AAAA10

Comment

Bu if you used your 2 hole cards you still had 4 aces didnt you? Your hand is AAAA10
                                    That is what my argument was.I'm not claiming that king plays.at start only told u must use both ur hole cards.more bout principle of it than money I think I am entitled to

Comment

So,if player has 4d 5d and board is 6d 7d 8d 9d and Ks then even though they have straight flush with both your hole cards they have not got best hand.I think they 4th and 5th cards shouldn't come into play though they may make better hands than 1 u have when you must use both your hole cards.
                                      I don't disagree with you. But you need to talk to the organiser and nail down the exact rules. Nobody here will disagree with you in principle but none of us are the ultimate decision maker.

Comment

That is what my argument was.I'm not claiming that king plays.at start only told u must use both ur hole cards.more bout principle of it than money I think I am entitled to
                                        A hand is your best 5 cards, you were done imo

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post
                                          I don't disagree with you. But you need to talk to the organiser and nail down the exact rules. Nobody here will disagree with you in principle but none of us are the ultimate decision maker.
                                          Not looking for people to agree with me.i am experienced player who watches poker on tv etc and I have played Omaha,hence which may influence my logic.I want honest opinions cos I still am confused as to why I didn't get best hand.

Straight flush example where player has 4d 5d and board was 6d 7d 8d 9d Ks,the same organizer said that this would win best hand.but like my hand,the 4th card on board improves hand.they both either win or both lose.i think both should be able to claim best hand.

Thanks for all input

Comment

Not looking for people to agree with me.i am experienced player who watches poker on tv etc and I have played Omaha,hence which may influence my logic.I want honest opinions cos I still am confused as to why I didn't get best hand.

Straight flush example where player has 4d 5d and board was 6d 7d 8d 9d Ks,the same organizer said that this would win best hand.but like my hand,the 4th card on board improves hand.they both either win or both lose.i think both should be able to claim best hand.

Thanks for all input
                                            4th card doesnt improve his hand if he's using three board cards and his two hole cards. He has a 45678d straight flush.

Comment

Your best hand is AAAAK. You can't choose to discard the K and use your 10 to make AAAA10, so you are only using 1 card to make the best hand.

To win the pot, your hand is AAAAK, but if there is a bad beat jackpot or anything and you need to use both hole cards, then your hand doesn't qualify because you're only using 1 card.

Comment

Surley AAA A10 is the best hand unless someone hit a straight flush using their 2 whole cards or AAA AJ/Q/K . AAA A10 has to best hand unless someone beat it . What was the money paid out on ?

Comment

So you're telling me that if the board was K Q J 10, that 8 9 would beat A X?

This game is an utter shambles, you 100% should have won best hand and the guy in charge should be fired immediately.
                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by winkey66 View Post
                                                    Surley AAA A10 is the best hand unless someone hit a straight flush using their 2 whole cards or AAA AJ/Q/K . AAA A10 has to best hand unless someone beat it . What was the money paid out on ?
                                                    Well, no. Because the hand is AAA A and the K on the board. His 10 doesn't play. You must use two hole cards to claim the "best hand jackpot". He can't just choose to ignore the K ball.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post

This game is an utter shambles, you 100% should have won best hand and the guy in charge should be fired immediately.
                                                      Try reading the thread first. Lots of vital info missing from the OP. The hand was for a high hand jackpot, not for the pot at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post

If it's a 'best hand' where you have to use both of your cards, then 89dd qualifies, but AdXx doesn't. Can 89dd lose the pot but win best hand? I guess so.

I don't think it's that difficult to understand tbh. He doesn't mean the best hand to win the pot, he means using both of his cards to win the 'best hand' jackpot which he clearly didn't.

Comment

So somebody holding 22 who got to the river wins

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                            So somebody holding 22 who got to the river wins
                                                            Needs to be advertised as a 'best winning hand'

Comment

You have to read the best hand of the night as an Omaha hand ie 2 in ur hand 3 on the board . So his best hand in these terms is A10 AAA an the K an other card is ignored . Try this, 1st hand of tourney , Player1 has A2 Player2 has KK , board is KKAAA , results r P1 wins pot with AAAAK v P2 with KKKKA , best hand of the night P1 with AAAA2 . Which can be beaten later in the tourney.

Comment

You have to read the best hand of the night as an Omaha hand ie 2 in ur hand 3 on the board . So his best hand in these terms is A10 AAA an the K an other card is ignored . Try this, 1st hand of tourney , Player1 has A2 Player2 has KK , board is KKAAA , results r P1 wins pot with AAAAK v P2 with KKKKA , best hand of the night P1 with AAAA2 . Which can be beaten later in the tourney.
                                                                That's not right. If you have 33 and the board is KKK99, then that's what you have. You can't declare KKK33!
                                                                Last edited by Flushdraw; 11-07-16, 19:54. Reason: Edit. On phone so no idea where that smiley came from!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                  If it's a 'best hand' where you have to use both of your cards, then 89dd qualifies, but AdXx doesn't. Can 89dd lose the pot but win best hand? I guess so.

I don't think it's that difficult to understand tbh. He doesn't mean the best hand to win the pot, he means using both of his cards to win the 'best hand' jackpot which he clearly didn't.
                                                                  89dd wouldn't qualify in this case either as they would only be using the 9d in your hand, discarding the 8d.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                    89dd wouldn't qualify in this case either as they would only be using the 9d in your hand, discarding the 8d.
                                                                    Yes sir, you are correct. Oops!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                      Yes sir, you are correct. Oops!
                                                                      Of course I am, it's my site!

Comment

If you have to use ur 2 hole cards then only using 9d for 9-K will not qualify for "best hand of the night" but using 89dd will as a straight flush from 8-Q

Comment

If you have to use ur 2 hole cards then only using 9d for 9-K will not qualify for "best hand of the night" but using 89dd will as a straight flush from 8-Q
                                                                          But you can't choose to use 2 hole cards to suit your purposes. The best 5 cards is always the hand, and if 2 of those happen to be your hole cards you have a qualifying hand for the best hand prize, otherwise you don't. It's not pick and choose, the rules of poker still apply to what the actual hand you end up with each time is.

Comment

You need to re-read OP it's about a best hand pool an "YOU MUST USE YOUR 2 HOLE CARDS"

Comment

#39
                                                                              You need to re-read OP it's about a best hand pool an "YOU MUST USE YOUR 2 HOLE CARDS"
                                                                              Yes. You must use your two hole cards but you can't just ignore the bog standard rules of the game either lol. The lack of common sense here is really astounding.

Comment

#40
                                                                                iThe lack of common sense here is really astounding.
                                                                                ...This +100...

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Yes, that is the point I'm making. In some hands your best 5 card hands don't use your 2 hole cards. In those cases, such as in the OP, or the 89dd hand. You can't choose which 5 cards you use, the cards speak for themselves. It isn't complicated.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Yes. You must use your two hole cards but you can't just ignore the bog standard rules of the game either lol. The lack of common sense here is really astounding.
                                                                                    well said
                                                                                    Your two hole cards can only be used if they make up part of the winning hand

The winning hand is AAAAK

Comment

#43
                                                                                      A hand is your best 5 cards, you were done imo
                                                                                      Read what you just wrote.

His "best 5 cards" is four from the board and one from the table. It doesn't count towards the jackpot.
                                                                                      4th card doesnt improve his hand if he's using three board cards and his two hole cards. He has a 45678d straight flush.
                                                                                      And his best 5 cards is a 5-9 straight flush

This is really simple, anyone who doesn't get it is playing dumb to trying to scoop the prize.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        House won best hand on nite

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Lol
                                                                                          So the prize is awarded to the best hand of the night that went to showdown and won a hand while using both hole cards ???
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Lol
                                                                                            So the prize is awarded to the best hand of the night that went to showdown and won a hand while using both hole cards ???
                                                                                            Reasonably standard I think. I know the bad beat in the Fitz meant that both cards had to be part of both hands (or perhaps just the hand that was beaten) to be eligible for the bad beat jackpot.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Lol
                                                                                              It doesn't have to go to showdown where I played.all that players were told is that you must use ur 2 hole cards to win best hand.no other rules were stated.i had AAA and hole cards were A 10 but organizer stated that k on board came into play.for winning the pot it does but for best hand I feel hard done by cos I have quads with 10 kicker for purpose of best hand

Comment

#48
                                                                                                It doesn't have to go to showdown where I played.all that players were told is that you must use ur 2 hole cards to win best hand.no other rules were stated.i had AAA and hole cards were A 10 but organizer stated that k on board came into play.for winning the pot it does but for best hand I feel hard done by cos I have quads with 10 kicker for purpose of best hand
                                                                                                No. You have quads with a K kicker. You can't just ignore the K to suit your own interests. Organiser is 100% correct. Stop angle shooting.

Everything else is legit. You don't have to go to showdown but you must show your cards to quaify for the "high hand jackpot". You must use both hole cards to claim it. And it must tie in with regular rules of Holdem, I.e. you cannot just discard a particular card to suit yourself. Lol.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                  Reasonably standard I think. I know the bad beat in the Fitz meant that both cards had to be part of both hands (or perhaps just the hand that was beaten) to be eligible for the bad beat jackpot.
                                                                                                  starpool,do you not think for purposes of using both your hole cards to win best hand that I should have won best hand?obviously there is better hand there to win pot.only thing said was u must use ur 2 hole cards.i had quads using my 2 hole cards and ONLY 3 cards on board. I think the word only plays big part in this debate.wasnt said but when told u must use both hole cards,then you only have 3 spaces to fill don't you???

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    I feel hard done by cos I have quads with 10 kicker for purpose of best hand
                                                                                                    Its annoying but you've no real reason to feel hard done by - its a fairly standard rule.

*******
                                                                                                    Vague memory of reading a hand where someone in LV got rivered that way for a $500K+ jackpot hand - think it was the straight flush example, when the 9d came on the river. Plenty of table merriment apparently as the guy had been giving it lots of dancing on the turn.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Seems to be split opinion. Thanks for all input

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        It's really not. Anyone who thinks you should have won doesn't understand the situation fully. Unlucky m8.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Where the split opinion, everyone is saying you are mistaken and are angleshooting.

The presence of the K means the T isn't in play in this hand. The fact you CAN make quads using the T is irrelevant. It's not in play.
                                                                                                          I'm not sure why that rule is in place, but it was clearly stated st the start of play, so your claim is baseless.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            I think the TD may not be too clear on the rules here . I'm guessing he was trying to stop straight/royal flushes counting where the player is using only 1 of his cards with 4 from the board, but really your 4A 10 high should be the winning hand unless 4A J high comes out later
                                                                                                            Atlantis Events Beat The Boss Saturday 7th Mar @5pm €5,000 Gtd The Dolmen Carlow

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Originally posted by Atlantispoker View Post
                                                                                                              I think the TD may not be too clear on the rules here . I'm guessing he was trying to stop straight/royal flushes counting where the player is using only 1 of his cards with 4 from the board, but really your 4A 10 high should be the winning hand unless 4A J high comes out later
                                                                                                              Thanks for input but that happened few months ago now.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Longest thread in months and it's a debate on...how to a read the board in NLH. Sigh.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  If I have ak in my hand and the board comes akkkq does my hand qualify as winning best hand on the night. Somebody else had jj on a 239jj board. Which hand should win best hand?

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Originally posted by carlinrose View Post
                                                                                                                    If I have ak in my hand and the board comes akkkq does my hand qualify as winning best hand on the night. Somebody else had jj on a 239jj board. Which hand should win best hand?
                                                                                                                    If it was stipulated that you must use two hold cards then other person wins, if not you win

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                                      If it was stipulated that you must use two hold cards then other person wins, if not you win
                                                                                                                      But I am using my AK to make up the hand.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        But I am using my AK to make up the hand.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X