Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    Technically we had children this Christmas, other people's children that were quite literally dumped on us to look after but children none the less.
    You get to give them back.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Technically we had children this Christmas, other people's children that were quite literally dumped on us to look after but children none the less.
      Whats your address?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Whats your address?
        Me first. You can dump yours next weekend.

They will have some craic pulling his beard all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Tremendous day to 'work' and get through all your admin jobs for 2020.

Paid LPT for the first time in new place. I see Revenue have it banded at about 50% of its real value. Win obv but anyone know when re-rating will happen?
          Brother in Revenue says early 2020 approx March. Govt have to pass legislation to finalise it. Not certain if the co councils will coup all the LPT's.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
            Brother in Revenue says early 2020 approx March. Govt have to pass legislation to finalise it. Not certain if the co councils will coup all the LPT's.
            No chance of the Govt sticking people with an increase pre-election!

Comment

You get to give them back.
              We had one for a week, accompanied by her parents. Although when this particular one comes to visit, she becomes my sticking plaster 24/7 so the parents may well not have been there. Can't complain about it really as she is the perfect child and without a shadow of a doubt the favourite (by a long stretch) of all the nieces and nephews.

Some of the others we got landed with though...

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              Whats your address?
              Thanks for contacting Daddy Day Care. Unfortunately we are closed and will reopen in December 2020. If the situation is urgent, please call somebody who gives a fuck.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

No chance of the Govt sticking people with an increase pre-election!
                    Now he's agreeing and saying there won't be an increase!. He's new though!

Comment

Is there anybody on here that drinks Hennessey or has a father/mother/uncle/aunt, etc that drinks the stuff?

I get a bottle every year from a supplier of mine as 'the boss gets a bottle of Hennessey' but I don't drink it and don't know anybody that does.

Happy to pass it onto a good home rather than just let it sit there.

Comment

Is there anybody on here that drinks Hennessey or has a father/mother/uncle/aunt, etc that drinks the stuff?

I get a bottle every year from a supplier of mine as 'the boss gets a bottle of Hennessey' but I don't drink it and don't know anybody that does.

The Kim's in North Korea are the only people I've ever heard find of it.
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I quite like it! I'm surprised you've no one that likes even bandy and ports

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                            The Kim's in North Korea are the only people I've ever heard find of it.

Comment

I'll fight Denny Crane for it at the HHE annual dinner.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  There won't be a crepe unsuzzetted in The Vintage Kitchen this 2020
                                  The menu is mussels, prawn risotto or pate, followed by one of lamb shank/steak/fish.

It never changes. In the good way.

Comment

Brandy the go-to drink for winter evenings imo.

Comment

The menu is mussels, prawn risotto or pate, followed by one of lamb shank/steak/fish.

every time the inlaws are over, there are a number of recipes they want me to do. this year bar the traditional Xmas dinner, they were up for some lamb shanks. Cooked them for 6 hours and served with some home made mash. silence for about 5 minutes before anyone felt the need to speak. validation!

re cognac, never drink it but necessary to make an amazing pepper sauce!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                        I quite like it! I'm surprised you've no one that likes even bandy and ports
                                        I'll arrange to get a bottle to you.

I'll fight Denny Crane for it at the HHE annual dinner.
                                        Fear not, there is a bottle for you too! There is also a bottle of Royal Oporto 10 year old Tawny Port if you want it. No idea of port or if it's good/bad so no offence taken if you don't want it.

HHE annual dinner is booked, will send out details in early Jan.

Comment

Comment

Was surprised today to see a new video from Matt Stohrer. He's semi retired from the saxophone repair business and doing some regular job. His level of expertise and attention to detail might even interest those with no experience of the instrument.

Saxophone repairman-on-a-sabbatical Matt Stohrer of http://www.StohrerMusic.com finally gets around to making the overview video of an *incredibly* rare 1932...
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Not exactly the pot calling the kettle black, but ffs

Comment

1998 Pichon Longueville, cheese, crackers. That'll round things off nicely.

Comment

Comment

Comment

What's the point there? Its about 30% of Irish hospital costs spent on alcohol related issues. Reducing that societal issue seems a better focus than trying to scare people with sick kids with flu from attending hospital.
                                                      Hey, at least I'm aware enough that I'm too drunk to make a logical argument. Though I'd still be annoyed when I sober up if I was denied medical attention because of my insobriety.

I'm no expert on flu, though infecting other people while looking for some treatment seems to not be the best course of action.

Comment

Someone at work was telling me his dad occassionally drops him over an incredibly rare bottle of calvados (apple brandy from Normandy) as part of a long-running family battle between whether the dad's Normandy side is superior to the mum's Brittany side. He invites over a Russian visiting prof for dinner and to work on some research and suggests he might like a snifter. The guy hesitantly agrees to a small one. Cue five hours later and the Russian guy is writing up coherent hard maths on the board having downed two full bottles of this few hundred euro a bottle brandy.
                                                        I don't really get the love for Calvados (or indeed any other form of fruit-based brandy such as slivovitz). Still got suckered into buying a bottle when I visited a ciderie in Normandy.

Very excitable Norman farmer did the tour, 100% in French. Hadn't a clue for most of it but smiled and nodded appreciatively at what seemed the appropriate junctures. My 13 y/o still hasn't forgiven me for dragging her along.

Farmer was most astonished when she refused to sample the cider.

Me : elle est trop jeune

Him: shrug that clearly communicated 'I was drinking this stuff since I was younger than her and divil the harm it ever did me'.

Comment

I'm surprised you've no one that likes even bandy and ports
                                                          There is also a bottle of Royal Oporto 10 year old Tawny Port if you want it.
                                                          I see the problem now

I'll arrange to get a bottle to you.
                                                          Very kind!

Comment

Jaysus wine is class. Life plan is a bottle of DRC on 31/12/29.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                              Marques de Riscal - about to open.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                Marques de Riscal - about to open.
                                                                I've just opened a vintage 2019 Miller lite screw top bottle

Comment

What's the point there? Its about 30% of Irish hospital costs spent on alcohol related issues. Reducing that societal issue seems a better focus than trying to scare people with sick kids with flu from attending hospital.
                                                                  That it's you asking people to take a sensible approach to their night out.

Comment

Jooooooooools.

Got 2 bottles of wine thinking it would be enough. Ran.out about 7pm, barely made the shop for supplies. On bottle 4 now. Happy new year.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                      I've just opened a vintage 2019 Miller lite screw top bottle
                                                                      At least it wasn't Coors Light.

Comment

...First...

Comment

Rick Astley made my night anyway

Happy New year cunts 💋
                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                            Rick Astley made my night anyway

Happy New year cunts 💋
                                                                            He was brutal. Absolutely stealing a living

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                              He was brutal. Absolutely stealing a living
                                                                              He was fabulous, you're not old, you wouldn't understand
                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                He was fabulous, you're not old, you wouldn't understand
                                                                                That's actually a massive compliment. Ty

Comment

...

Comment

Ah, maybe I wrote it wrong then, wasn't asking that. Was saying the health service should come up with a sensible plan for tackling the overall issue.
                                                                                    The solution you posited was based on self-restraint of the drinker rather than an institutional response by the hospital to the volume of alcohol related admittances last night. Hence, I would imagine, the confusion.
                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Women should be banned from watching any and all home improvement tv programs.

This will be the first policy of my new World Government.

Comment

New Years Resolutions:
                                                                                        1. Cyclo-commute >80% of the time I'm in the Irish office.
                                                                                        2. Cook two new dishes p.m.
                                                                                        3. Go see more theatre than last year
                                                                                        4. Learn how to join up all my French words into actual sentences.
                                                                                        5. Buy and sell a gaff.
                                                                                        6. Moar uplift.
                                                                                        Following the mixed success of last year, I will have another go at putting these up for public ridicule
                                                                                        1. Same again. Cyclo-commute >90% of the time I'm in the Irish office.
                                                                                        2. Cook 1 new dish a month.
                                                                                        3. Average 1 theatre outing per month
                                                                                        4. Read 50 books, with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity
                                                                                        5. Get house redesign planned, budgeted (max 200k) and either done or scheduled by EOY
                                                                                        6. Moar uplift
                                                                                        7. Eat less sugary food
                                                                                        8. Do core strength exercises every day

Then a decade resolution:
                                                                                        be in a position to choose at end of decade to retire (or do whatever the fuck I want really). Need to be debt free, healthy and have a very chunky pension pot to achieve this. Odds: 4/6

Comment

so, on the topic of house redesign, has anyone installed (or know anything about) heat pumps?

From my minimal research this seems like an absolute no-brainer in the year 2020 and our architect is pushing us strongly towards this. We currently have an old OFCH system with outside boiler etc. Would convert to gas for cooking etc.

Comment

I only found out recently that they've a sister restaurant

Comment

Little Kitchen and Vintage Kitchen don't belong in the same sentence.

Comment

Looking for a nice restaurant in Dublin for lunch on Saturday.
                                                                                                Set menu or shared plates is fine. Traditional/modern, irish/international. Whatever.
                                                                                                I was looking at Marco Pierre Whites. But not sure if they do the lunch menu on a Saturday.

Any suggestions?
                                                                                                Will be checking out the distillery at Guinness afterwards. So anything that side is a bonus. Vintage Kitchen could be a front runner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  Set menu or shared plates is fine. Traditional/modern, irish/international. Whatever.
                                                                                                  I was looking at Marco Pierre Whites. But not sure if they do the lunch menu on a Saturday.

Any suggestions?
                                                                                                  Will be checking out the distillery at Guinness afterwards. So anything that side is a bonus. Vintage Kitchen could be a front runner.
                                                                                                  Not a restaurant recommendation but the Guinness storehouse is a massively overhyped let down. Probably the worst tour of a place I've done..

If you can, do the Jameson tour in Smithfield, it's better than Guinness by a distance and the samples are generous.

I did them both in the same day before and wouldn't recommend Guinness at all tbh.

Comment

Ice skating. Good way to feel like an epileptic geriatric imo.

Never Again.

Comment

Following the mixed success of last year, I will have another go at putting these up for public ridicule
                                                                                                      1. Same again. Cyclo-commute >90% of the time I'm in the Irish office.
                                                                                                      2. Cook 1 new dish a month.
                                                                                                      3. Average 1 theatre outing per month
                                                                                                      4. Read 50 books, with an emphasis on quality rather than quantity
                                                                                                      5. Get house redesign planned, budgeted (max 200k) and either done or scheduled by EOY
                                                                                                      6. Moar uplift
                                                                                                      7. Eat less sugary food
                                                                                                      8. Do core strength exercises every day

be in a position to choose at end of decade to retire (or do whatever the fuck I want really). Need to be debt free, healthy and have a very chunky pension pot to achieve this. Odds: 4/6
                                                                                                      Any particular successes on the cooking front from the year gone?

Comment

Any suggestions?
                                                                                                        As soon as I get an opportunity to go out to dinner I'm going straight to Michael's in Mount Merrion.
                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Back in work Friday, so tonight is basically Sat night. Gonna treat it as such. Steaks and red wine. Giddyup.

Comment

I got an instant pot because the internet said to. Anyone have any recipe recommendations?

Comment

Any suggestions?
                                                                                                              Forest avenue or suesey street are good low key options.
                                                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

The healthier you are the tougher it’ll be!

Any suggestions?
                                                                                                                Forest Avenue is excellent. Don’t get matching wines, do get tasting menu.

Comment

...

Comment

I got an instant pot because the internet said to. Anyone have any recipe recommendations?

Comment

A Creamy Garlic Prawn Pasta with a garlic infused silky creamy sauce and plump prawns. It's luscious and indulgent but not ridiculously rich. Super quick!

I’ve made this 8-9 times since it was recommended in the food thread. Have since added diced peppers, shallots, spring onions, and finely chopped asparagus. I’d also add twice the wine and about 30ml of chicken stock. Got rid of parsley as I hate it, use basil instead.

Comment

Search Flo Lum instant pot on YouTube.

I'd never heard of an instant pot until now.

I want one. Instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                          Any particular successes on the cooking front from the year gone?
                                                                                                                          Maybe not strictly cooking but ceviche was wonderful the couple of times I made it.

Barbecued lamb too.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X