Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just opened a box of quality streets and they seem to have taken out the toffees in the brown wrapper. Spent a good few minutes scouring the box in disgust thnking I must have missed one or they have change the wrapper but no they have been removed. This is bloody outrageous.

Opr

Comment

The Last Waltz on TG4 now.
      You are WELCOME

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Any props for 2020 Hitch?

We have US election for one.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                  Help if you told us how many letters (4,1,6 or whatever). And anything you have already.
                  Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                  Riffle
                  Oh yeah sorry it's only three letters which is why I'm so stumped.

Comment

I've had many entrepreneurial ideas over the years. The problem has always been lacking the confidence to follow through, or else getting distracted by the next shiny new idea. I guess the idea was always the buzz.

About 15 years ago I had a renewable energy idea. What if you could create a device that captured the energy produced by traffic. Cars and trucks hurtling along a motorway are burning energy but are also creating tons of mechanical energy.

Imagine a motorway that acted like a dynamo, capturing all that energy and connecting it to the grid. Imagine a fleet of electric vehicles in a self contained cycle of getting and giving power.

The idea was far too big for me, had no idea what to do with it. Almost pulled the trigger on a pm to Zuut a couple of times for advice but always chickened out.

Likely not feasible but looks like Sweden have created something similar..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The problem there is that the mechanical energy cars have is the energy that is used to overcome friction to get them where they're going. If you try and 'harness' it, you take it away and the car stops! If you're talking about the 'lost' energy then its essentially impossible to get back as it comes from what are called non-conservative forces...friction and sound energy are basically just heat, and re-capturing that heat and re-using it runs into 1st law of thermodynamics problems.
                      You could recover the vibrational energy as they 'squash' the tarmac by using piezo-electric transducers built in to the road but I assume they'd be so woefully inefficient that the cost would far outweigh the benefit.
                      Last edited by Guest; 30-12-19, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Reasonably happy with the feedly selection of various subscriptions and free blogs. Trying to purposefully keep politics out of it as find that stuff quite pointless. Science as its too overwhelming (never read a single full magazine of BBC Science Focus that subscribed to for 2019).

Is there maybe a low frequency blog thats worth adding full of interesting ideas? Maybe something entirely out of left-field. Like a current fivethirtyeight before he went a bit dodge. Or interesting perspectives on stuff they are doing in Asia maybe.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        Tylercown's blog has interesting ideas but his posting frequency is far too high.

Curated newsletters would be nice. Something where respective experts link to the most interesting ideas in their field from that particular week.
                        ...What kinda sites/subscriptions would you recomend for financial/trading news... Listen to alot of CMBC/Bloomberg news, would like to read more about it... For the last couple of months, I've been trading stocks that are releasing earnings that evening/next morning, been surprisingly very successful with my selections to date- but find it hard to get good information about some of stocks, such as earnings history etc... Any recommendations on subscription?...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          I don't do crosswords so dunno if this is valid, PTO?

Comment

First one that came to mind was 'fly'

But the one that makes sense is PTO, surely? Not sure if acronyms are accepted for it though

Comment

Grenoble is top one I'm applying to, then Montpellier as reasonable similar level, and Normandie as the lowly ranked walk-in. Nothing available in Essec at the moment and Edhec only has teaching positions. Realistically I'm not getting into HEC as you have to be a born-superstar. Grenoble would be a decent one as its the top tech oriented grande ecole.
                              Grenoble is a pretty weird and grim town in itself fwiw. Very cold in the winter, very hot in the summer. the only reason people live there is because they love the mountains. every friday/saturday they're up the mountain to ski in the winter, rock climb/moutain bike/parasail/etc. during the summer. Now, you might really get into those things, and then it works (will need to pass driving test! ), but if you're not a mountain sport freak, then it can be a strange place to live. I know a good few people who've lived there, and all said the same.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                The problem there is that the mechanical energy cars have is the energy that is used to overcome friction to get them where they're going. If you try and 'harness' it, you take it away and the car stops! If you're talking about the 'lost' energy then its essentially impossible to get back as it comes from what are called non-conservative forces...friction and sound energy are basically just heat, and re-capturing that heat and re-using it runs into 1st law of thermodynamics problems.
                                You could recover the vibrational energy as they 'squash' the tarmac by using piezo-electric transducers built in to the road but I assume they'd be so woefully inefficient that the cost would far outweigh the benefit.
                                I really should have sent you that pm way back.

Aha, so mechanical energy is not wasted or lost energy.

Still nice to know it's technically possible and I can keep dreaming

Comment

On EV's, see this in the news this morning New laws to ban sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2030

Opr

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                        I don't do crosswords so dunno if this is valid, PTO?
                                        Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                        First one that came to mind was 'fly'

But the one that makes sense is PTO, surely? Not sure if acronyms are accepted for it though
                                        I saw someone saying PTO on some other website but no idea what it means or how it relates to the clue?

Comment

I saw someone saying PTO on some other website but no idea what it means or how it relates to the clue?
                                          Please turn over.

Comment

It means please turn over, it's written on pages. The "if you will" locks it as a certainty for me.
                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 30-12-19, 13:09.

Comment

Usually on the bottom of a multiple page handwritten note.

Comment

Irish election is surely where its at in terms of interesting potential outcomes?
                                                Forgot about that one.

Choose your weapon so. Most seats? Next Taoiseach? (Both probably the same bet)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                    Grenoble is a pretty weird and grim town in itself fwiw. Very cold in the winter, very hot in the summer. the only reason people live there is because they love the mountains. every friday/saturday they're up the mountain to ski in the winter, rock climb/moutain bike/parasail/etc. during the summer. Now, you might really get into those things, and then it works (will need to pass driving test! ), but if you're not a mountain sport freak, then it can be a strange place to live. I know a good few people who've lived there, and all said the same.
                                                    I will supply a Montpellier TR in January.

Comment

Tremendous day to 'work' and get through all your admin jobs for 2020.

Paid LPT for the first time in new place. I see Revenue have it banded at about 50% of its real value. Win obv but anyone know when re-rating will happen?

Comment

I doubt many here have seen this but Phil Galfond made this challenge to the poker world. It is basically an open offer to the poker world of HU PLO/NL, similar to the infamous Durrrr challenge: 50k hands, 3:1 on a sidebet of 10 buyins, played at 100/200+.

I know Galfond made a shit tonne of money out of poker but how much money do you need to be comfortably playing these challenges? I doubt anyone is silly enough to take percentages of him given the sidebet action so heavily stacked against him so I presume he playing all of himself. It seems a little mad even though he seems to have got Bill Perkins involved for one of them.

Funny reply from this wife.

Opr
                                                        Last edited by Opr; 30-12-19, 13:28.

Comment

Comment

Number of FG seats is maybe the most intriguing? Objectively they should be returned with a massive majority as they have a bit of talent and the collective opposition is woeful, but then again you have supposedly bright centrist folk with natural FG tendencies who will vote for the Greens despite their economic policies suggesting they are to the extreme left of SF.
                                                            PP have joint favs effectively.

I wouldn't underestimate (a) collective amnesia about FF's crimes and (b), people's natural desire for change. It'll be close to a decade of FG rule by the time of the election.

Comment

Comment

Oh dear lord what is wrong with people. Its not so much their past crimes but that they've zero talent in the party to be able to step up to run the country. I'd jump all over FG in that case, but guess you would too. Maybe we handicap FG a bit in the most seats race to even it up a bit more?
                                                                We'll build a prop when the election is announced.

What about the US? Do you want the 'anyone but Trump' side of the presidential bet?

Comment

Comment

Awwwwwwwwwwww - Reddit.

Ever since my niece saw Toy Story, she shouts “I’m leaving!” and then peeks at her room like this

Reddit user overnight paints picture for girl and posts.

Opr

Comment

Comment

Company moved office today. New place is next level. Pool table, ping pong table, snacks everywhere. Floor to ceiling glass in everywhere, unreal view of the rockies.

Brand new kit out, overlooking my old jobs office building. Which is a little poetic.
                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                          I've had many entrepreneurial ideas over the years. The problem has always been lacking the confidence to follow through, or else getting distracted by the next shiny new idea. I guess the idea was always the buzz.

About 15 years ago I had a renewable energy idea. What if you could create a device that captured the energy produced by traffic. Cars and trucks hurtling along a motorway are burning energy but are also creating tons of mechanical energy.

Imagine a motorway that acted like a dynamo, capturing all that energy and connecting it to the grid. Imagine a fleet of electric vehicles in a self contained cycle of getting and giving power.

The idea was far too big for me, had no idea what to do with it. Almost pulled the trigger on a pm to Zuut a couple of times for advice but always chickened out.

Likely not feasible but looks like Sweden have created something similar..

They’ve created custom traffic bollards which are also wind vanes in Turkey that sit near toll booths and other areas of motorways where traffic is split and travelling close to the traffic bollards. The wind energy from the vehicles generates a nice bit of power and they had some solar panels sitting on top and all of the micro wind vanes were feeding into one energy collection system which seemed reasonably efficient. Pretty much your idea Lazare.

Linkage.
                                                                          Last edited by V for Vendetta; 30-12-19, 17:01.
                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                            Company moved office today. New place is next level. Pool table, ping pong table, snacks everywhere. Floor to ceiling glass in everywhere, unreal view of the rockies.

Brand new kit out, overlooking my old jobs office building. Which is a little poetic.
                                                                            But is it handy for a creche?? You're not getting any younger Steve!
                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                              I doubt many here have seen this but Phil Galfond made this challenge to the poker world. It is basically an open offer to the poker world of HU PLO/NL, similar to the infamous Durrrr challenge: 50k hands, 3:1 on a sidebet of 10 buyins, played at 100/200+.

I know Galfond made a shit tonne of money out of poker but how much money do you need to be comfortably playing these challenges? I doubt anyone is silly enough to take percentages of him given the sidebet action so heavily stacked against him so I presume he playing all of himself. It seems a little mad even though he seems to have got Bill Perkins involved for one of them.

Funny reply from this wife.
                                                                              Pretty much everyone that signed up, pulled out. JNandez was the biggest lol of the lot, as it was all pretty much signed and sealed for Galfond's 1m v Nandez 200k side bet, and he still pulled out.

Last i heard, Jungleman is confirmed over a smaller sample, and he is also playing Rob Young in NLH.

He said he reckons he'll be in the hole for about €6m if he lost his challenges/side action

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                Isn't he in Canadia? They probably have a choice of creches in any company over a certain size.
                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                  Pretty much everyone that signed up, pulled out. JNandez was the biggest lol of the lot, as it was all pretty much signed and sealed for Galfond's 1m v Nandez 200k side bet, and he still pulled out.

Last i heard, Jungleman is confirmed over a smaller sample, and he is also playing Rob Young in NLH.

He said he reckons he'll be in the hole for about €6m if he lost his challenges/side action
                                                                                  Any reasons given as to why people are pulling out? I thought I read ages back that dreammachines (real time solvers) exsisted in some form or another in PLO even before they started coming onto the scene in NLH. I thought some of these guys would have been clamouring to play this challenge. I presume one of the conditions of this bet is that the players have to play on a live stream to prevent this from happening?

Even so I would have thought Phil was fairly behind some of the other guys that are battling at high stakes day in and day out and putting in huge amount of solver work and one of them would have been jumping at the chance to play this challenge. Hard to understand why he is finding it so hard to get acton with these kind of sidebet odds?

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                    lol... even you are adding to the pressure!! I'm getting sick pressure from everyone . The fam, the lads, the missus.

Can't count how many times Ive been asked about stork visits and weak knees over the xmas break. Gas stuff.

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                    Isn't he in Canadia? They probably have a choice of creches in any company over a certain size.
                                                                                    There is a creche on the second floor to accommodate the people in the building. I am also pretty sure the cost is subsidized by work which is nice.
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                      Any reasons given as to why people are pulling out? I thought I read ages back that dreammachines (real time solvers) exsisted in some form or another in PLO even before they started coming onto the scene in NLH. I thought some of these guys would have been clamouring to play this challenge. I presume one of the conditions of this bet is that the players have to play on a live stream to prevent this from happening?

Even so I would have thought Phil was fairly behind some of the other guys that are battling at high stakes day in and day out and putting in huge amount of solver work and one of them would have been jumping at the chance to play this challenge. Hard to understand why he is finding it so hard to get acton with these kind of sidebet odds?

Opr
                                                                                      The biggest reason for not getting action IMO is (and some of the early rules have changed)

They have to be coaches for other training sites, so it does rule out some beasts that go about their jobs quietly.
                                                                                      It has to be played on Run It Once, and there was some people suggesting that the owner of the site could have inside information,or turn on God mode...
                                                                                      50k hands is still a huge chunk of time to put aside to play someone you probably have a tiny edge over, if any (Galfond was the dog on pokershares for most games)
                                                                                      Galfond said he might do some solver work inbetween games, but not while games are being played.

I presume one of the conditions of this bet is that the players have to play on a live stream to prevent this from happening?
                                                                                      Galfond will stream, but i don't think he cares if the other party streams or not.

He is obviously still a beast to be giving 5:1 and not getting action, and i can't wait to see some of the games if they go ahead.

On a side note, the Run It Once office is based in Malta, and a friend of mine is the Technical Director and asked me a couple of times if i was interested in joining up. I'd be lying if i said i wasn't tempted to see how it all works, but i'm happy in my current job!

Comment

Family out, cheese and salami in.

Feel I should eat more cheese in the coming decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'm going to give it up again. Went back on it ages ago as GMB correcty pointed out that most are low in lactose. Every morsel is mostly extra calories that I'm not burning off, and it has to go

Comment

Missus gone to stay with family so cracked open a can earlier and cooked some steaks. Found a rogue bottle of wine to go with the steaks so drinking that now and have some nice brie and cashel blue for later and will get nicely shit faced.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                              I'm going to give it up again. Went back on it ages ago as GMB correcty pointed out that most are low in lactose. Every morsel is mostly extra calories that I'm not burning off, and it has to go
                                                                                              Sheesh. Can you still drink at least?

Comment

Spider Baby was my idea before Doughal stole it.

Comment

Sheesh. Can you still drink at least?
                                                                                                  Not properly. Slightly relieved that I can still risk a wank.

Comment

Watched all of that new Kevin Hart doc yesterday. Never knew a lot about him beforehand.

Enjoyed it, he's a really sound guy I thought. Bringing all his buddies along up with him was very admirable I thought.

Would recommend.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

RIP Neil Innes

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

This sounds like bliss. I've either been out or had people over ever night since the 22nd.

Am out tomorrow, currently no plans for the 1st, then out the 2nd and 3rd before going on holiday for a week on the 4th.

What I'd do to have the place to myself with a bottle of vino and a cheese and charcuterie board.

#firstworldproblems

Comment

What. The. Fuck were people talking about saying The Irishman was bad??

Absolutely incredible movie. A masterpiece. It will be spoken of for generations.

Every last minute of it was sublime.

So glad I ignored all those muppets saying it was bad, almost watched a movie about fucking Ratzinger instead ffs.

Comment

And I only watch one movie a year.

Comment

Though coulda just watched it on Wed

Comment

Watched it on Netflix on Christmas eve. Thought it was great. Perfect movie for that day too. Too long to watch in a single sitting so was grand to pause it while cooking the dinner and whatnot. Both really enjoyed it though.

Comment

I'm 2 weeks into it. Shaping up nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                        This sounds like bliss. I've either been out or had people over ever night since the 22nd.

Am out tomorrow, currently no plans for the 1st, then out the 2nd and 3rd before going on holiday for a week on the 4th.

What I'd do to have the place to myself with a bottle of vino and a cheese and charcuterie board.

#firstworldproblems
                                                                                                                        You have no children. Bear this in.mind when complaining about Christmas.

Comment

You have no children. Bear this in.mind when complaining about Christmas.
                                                                                                                          Technically we had children this Christmas, other people's children that were quite literally dumped on us to look after but children none the less.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X