Top Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Set

I have been playing pretty aggressively, nothing that out of line but I have a feeling this guy is a bit annoyed at me. I've fired about 4 cbets recently against him, he folded every time.

I raise 88 flop late position. He calls from the blinds. The flop is 478 r

$6.50 in pot.

He checks, I cbet $4.50, and he min raises to $9

We both started with around $100.

Raise or call?

In actual event I called.

Turn is a 5, he checked I checked. (Anyone bet here?)

River Q. He pots it. Call or fold? (or raise)

Raise the flop.

Personally I would check turn back.

Call river.

Feels like this could be a trick question!? Given reads I would pretty much always raise flop here.

Comment

3betting flop to 25 is definitely a good option if you think he might be getting a bit frustrated with you. Calling would prob be my standard though.

As played, i check behind turn definitely. I think you're obliged to snapcall the river.

Comment

How come you didn't raise the flop?

I'd bet the turn myself. Loads of value to be had there given description and you rarely show up with a 6 and he might call down with 99-TT/bottom two etc etc. Though checking might be better as getting raised here would be really really ghey.

I'd snap call the river. He can be betting worse here but i'd expect to see a 6 reasonably often when he pots it here.
        Last edited by Moneymaker; 09-02-12, 21:30.

Comment

I'd 3bet flop . a lot of bad cards come on the turn that could kill your action + raising flop makes it easier to get your stack in before the river.
          "Think of what your opponent wants you to do, and then do the opposite"

Comment

how is folding the river even an option here given your perceived image,how the hand has played and your holding? im betting that turn too and try to get stacks in on the river

Comment

The reason I didn't 3bet the flop is because I thought he was very likely to be doing it light, I doubt he shoves over my 3bet light very often if ever.

No point whatsover in betting the turn IMO, there are loads of 6's in both of our range. I'd have to fold to an all in.

Comment

3 Bet flop,
                As palyed, check turn, Call river now

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                  The reason I didn't 3bet the flop is because I thought he was very likely to be doing it light, I doubt he shoves over my 3bet light very often if ever.

No point whatsover in betting the turn IMO, there are loads of 6's in both of our range. I'd have to fold to an all in.
                  What makes you think he could be light if he's folded 4 c-bets in a row to you?
                  "Think of what your opponent wants you to do, and then do the opposite"

Comment

While he could be c/minning the flop light, I'm not convinced 1) we can put all that much total air in his range (he wont always min raise with it, and will donk with it some of the time too, and may just check call strong ace high hands) and 2) he'll continue with that air anyway, it's far more likely he's taking this line with some kind of decent one pair hand or a draw out of a mixture of frustration and "just 'cos..." given the dynamics. Have you any further reads on him, even a basic idea of him having fishy or reg-like tendencies could have a big impact here? Given he check min raised this flop it's entirely possible he flatted a big one pair hand pre and is now setting the trap also, depending on those reads.

I think his range is some air, which gives up alot of the time on the turn anyway (although also has six outs to improve to a stackable hand alot of the time), alot of one pair hands, straight draws, pair plus gutters and the perceived nuts which could be anything from the straight to sets to overpairs. It's certainly not feasible to suggest he'll jam his air, although he will do it some small but non 0% of the time, but if he truly is getting annoyed he wont be folding alot of that range, he'll jam with some of it and flat making our life quite easy on most turns with another large chunk of it, so I think 3 betting the flop smallish is my line, they usually wont check min raise with the intention to fold any kind of equity here given history. Also not to be results orientated, but any 5 or 6 really kills our action but also high cards may cost us value against his one pair hands. Basically I just think it's easier to get the money in now vs hands like a7 or whatever then on any further street unless he catches something to improve his hand, even if he'll fold that hand to a 3bet some of the time on the flop he'll be even less likely to put money in with it on later streets when it likely comes somewhat bad for him.
                    Last edited by Sledgejammer; 09-02-12, 22:46.
                    "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Prefer 4b/c like $16 on the flop with read that villain mostly folds to cbets. There's no way I'm checking the turn, his flop raise was strong and he's likely gone into c/c mode with w/e he has so we lose far too much value by checking. $8.88/c or something similarly small to induce calls/raises with a wider range than 6x. Snapcall river as played, it's not close
                      "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

I think it's crazy to deliberately put money in to the pot on the turn, it's a small pot and there's no reason to think anyone will put money in without a 6. A set will probably check call, but I can only really get one street of value from a set anyway.

I'd actually check most 6's back here, bar 69

Given I opened from late position and just called his min-raise I could have almost every conceivable 6.

Comment

Originally posted by PortOfTheYokes View Post
                          What makes you think he could be light if he's folded 4 c-bets in a row to you?
                          Most TAG's get annoyed and will make a play at you eventually. Of course he could have a real hand, but I'm going to stack any set anyway so it doesn't really matter. (the only way this happens really is if a 5 or 6 comes on the turn and the board doesn't pair the river). I might lose value vs an overpair.

I suppose he could jam a OESD over my 3bet, but I don't think he has that many in his range, and I don't think he bluff/semi bluff jams much.

Forgot to put in the OP these tend to be reasonably tight/passive players. He hadn't 3bet once for instance. Don't know the player at all.

Comment

Yeah, no idea why people want to bet the turn. I think when he min raises the flop there are so few really lights hands that he can have so certainly not worried about losing our punter, raising again just allows him to froth at the mouth ship or at the very least hang on in with whatever he does have.

Comment

Working...
                            X