Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ed View Post
    Really liked Get Out but think The Shape of Water and Three Billboards are both better than it.

Saw black panther yesterday, really enjoyed it.

Enjoyed Ladybird too, thought Laurie Metcalf was excellent in it.
    Caught Black Panther on opening day and I walked out very underwhelmed, understand what they were trying to do but the film didn't survive the hype with me, people talking about Michael B Jordan's character being a great villain thinking to myself what in the world, think the guy is an outstanding actor but not in this.

Good Marvel movie but noway an outstanding Marvel movie.
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Can you elaborate on this a little more? "Take a tip from top performers in lots of different fields they have their own script and metrics by which they judge themselves and the world they create around themselves and it’s something we could all learn from.
      Elaborate. Not easy but this is where I’m coming from...

To be a top performer in any field you need talent and obsession. You need to focus on an area where you have above average skills and apply yourself in a focussed manner over a long period. This focus doesn’t make sense to outsiders initially. They won’t understand why you are doing it. They will think you are wasting your time and want to engage in chats revolving around normal scripts and things that we are all powerless to change.

Somebody who wants to be the best in their chosen field isn’t worrying about the state of world affairs as long as it doesn’t impact their own bubble. They don’t judge themselves from an outside perspective but trust their own internal scorecard. They don’t apologise for their success and they gravitate to others who are similarly successful. They don’t spend their time debating with those who will never understand.

Think about how much time you are going down a Reddit/Facebook/Twitter rabbit hole reading about Trump. Is this improving your mood, your sense of achievement, your photography skills? We are the sum of what we spend our finite time doing. If you devoted the same hour or two a day to progressing your professional agenda or improving your talents wouldn’t it give you more benefit? And potentially in time a platform to effect greater societal changes.

So why do we waste our time on things we cannot change when there is so much we can change? This isn’t aimed at you specifically D but is something I need to constantly remind myself of.

Take Elon Musk as an example. He’s obviously been interested in rocketry and space all his life but creating tech companies and learning how to run a business and engage investors ultimately allowed him to pursue his broader agenda.

Imagine if you could hone your photography skills to an incredibly high level and then take some pictures of Trumps America and how it is failing people. You could affect change rather than debating some keyboard warrior who isn’t listening but is instead burning up his precious time on this earth.
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        I am just sitting at my desk reading about Brits, potatoes or lack thereof and along comes my boss who throws an envelope almost violently on my desk and walks off without a word. Wtf is this, thinks I. Open it up and there is a generic bla bla inflation 3% raise. I had been thinking, you know, maybe I should move to London and switch up my job and this confirms it.

I continue reading onwards and the letter is like haha nah, a 21% increase backdated to the start of the year more currently reflects your role at the company in italics. The letter trolled me. I mean I do think I shouldn't stick to the same place forever and my whole career as a developer has been here essentially, but when they do things like fly the whole company + families to Universal studios for a holiday, don't mind when I'm off for 3 months with some broken bones and still give out raises wordlessly (without having some inane meeting about performance) they make it feckin' hard to ever want to leave.

TL;DR: Uplift
        Class. You owe it to yourself and your employer to think about what else it is you want to do and see if they can facilitate it. The grass ain’t necessarily greener elsewhere and you have a great opportunity where you are so why waste it day dreaming of going elsewhere? Having a proactive employer puts you ahead of the majority of folk so why not push it further? They could probably facilitate working abroad or working on other areas so why leave them over stuff they can solve for you? I doubt the early employees still working in Google are regretting their commitment.
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
          Elaborate. Not easy but this is where I’m coming from...

To be a top performer in any field you need talent and obsession. You need to focus on an area where you have above average skills and apply yourself in a focussed manner over a long period. This focus doesn’t make sense to outsiders initially. They won’t understand why you are doing it. They will think you are wasting your time and want to engage in chats revolving around normal scripts and things that we are all powerless to change.

Somebody who wants to be the best in their chosen field isn’t worrying about the state of world affairs as long as it doesn’t impact their own bubble. They don’t judge themselves from an outside perspective but trust their own internal scorecard. They don’t apologise for their success and they gravitate to others who are similarly successful. They don’t spend their time debating with those who will never understand.

Think about how much time you are going down a Reddit/Facebook/Twitter rabbit hole reading about Trump. Is this improving your mood, your sense of achievement, your photography skills? We are the sum of what we spend our finite time doing. If you devoted the same hour or two a day to progressing your professional agenda or improving your talents wouldn’t it give you more benefit? And potentially in time a platform to effect greater societal changes.

So why do we waste our time on things we cannot change when there is so much we can change? This isn’t aimed at you specifically D but is something I need to constantly remind myself of.

Take Elon Musk as an example. He’s obviously been interested in rocketry and space all his life but creating tech companies and learning how to run a business and engage investors ultimately allowed him to pursue his broader agenda.

Imagine if you could hone your photography skills to an incredibly high level and then take some pictures of Trumps America and how it is failing people. You could affect change rather than debating some keyboard warrior who isn’t listening but is instead burning up his precious time on this earth.
          You are a smarter man than me Olly, good read.
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
            I don't recall learning or hearing any of this in school. I just thought the famine was the famine because of blight and crop failure. No food etc etc so people just died for lack of food, a natural disaster if you will. Never even occurred to me why they couldn't eat animals though. Turns out it was the British and up until the other day I had no idea.
            Unless that is the British have their side of the story.
            But this definely wasn't mentioned at school. They probably didn't want everyone joining the IRA or something.

https://www.facebook.com/dublinirela...5498738910570/
            There was huge storms the year before which destroyed a lot of the fishing fleet and damaged the docks so there was a lot less brought ashore during the famine which compounded matters. They had pretty big winds for large parts of the famine which kept boats out of the water also.

Comment

two for two olly
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

As we are sharing life lessons, here is the DeadParrot guide to being deadly

Find the thing in your life running around causing havoc
                when you do, corner it, but dont kill it, killing is too good for that bastard
                Throw a yoke on it and let that motherfucker plough
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

It's also ok not to be obsessed by a goal but to wander through this world in blissful apathy. Much like the English overlords during the famine.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                    There was huge storms the year before which destroyed a lot of the fishing fleet and damaged the docks so there was a lot less brought ashore during the famine which compounded matters. They had pretty big winds for large parts of the famine which kept boats out of the water also.
                    Where ironically millions left these shores on boats

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                      The book that film is based on is one of the most myopic historical biographies I've ever read.

Tim Pat-Coogan has a great line in his (far less flattering) biography of De Valera where he says "De Valera is the only commander from 1916 without a street named after him in Ireland. The State could not find one long enough or crooked enough".
                      It's a great line for the long fella.
                      Kind of shame about that street in Cork though.

Comment

Bild poll yesterday has AfD as the second most popular party in Germany for the first time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                          Bild poll yesterday has AfD as the second most popular party in Germany for the first time ever.
                          Love an auld poll you do...

A survey of 170 president scholars placed President Trump in last place for overall presidential "greatness"

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                            Class. You owe it to yourself and your employer to think about what else it is you want to do and see if they can facilitate it. The grass ain’t necessarily greener elsewhere and you have a great opportunity where you are so why waste it day dreaming of going elsewhere? Having a proactive employer puts you ahead of the majority of folk so why not push it further? They could probably facilitate working abroad or working on other areas so why leave them over stuff they can solve for you? I doubt the early employees still working in Google are regretting their commitment.
                            Thanks, they proactively had a talk with me when they found out the girl I was going out with lived in Amsterdam a couple years back, saying I could work from there for extended periods as long as I didn't take the piss. They meet me specifically every year to ask what I would like to do or what they can do for me and it's a hard question - especially when you think about it and you don't really know. They are certainly on the ball, are fantastic to work for and you can tell from the length of time people spend here.

The end goal for me is to earn more money while doing something I enjoy which sustains motivation to earn that money. This money is used in turn to earn more money which can be used to improve the lives of others, effective altruism/earn-to-give movement - so I think about how to maximise that, the more intermediate steps are harder to envisage. I'd love to work in a more ethically focused position but would Bill Gates have done so much good if he worked for a non-profit? There are plenty of people that don't have technical skills for those roles.

The drawbacks of staying somewhere for too long are that, for a developer, the working world is a hugely fast moving environment. When you stay somewhere, no matter how good they are - you are possibly not broadening your skill set as much as you could elsewhere - there is a core set of technologies used here that don't vary that much, especially compared to somebody like Google. It's hard to quantify some things, like soft skills and the experience you are earning at a company in a highly trusted position compared to hopping to a new job and not having as much control, starting to manage some meetings here which I would not be doing at Google.

Nevertheless the danger is not just that you are somewhat limited by the scope of your company but that you get into a comfort zone, and you realistically know you won't focus that much of your downtime on improving yourself (work-wise) when you have a life to lead for yourself too. A new job may just be faux-motivation I guess, forcing yourself to learn on the job instead of at home and a program of get-the-fuck-on-with-it™ may just be as valuable. I'll also have to start management/business I guess and look at qualifications in those which I can do from here. Even writing this helped me think about what I want to do a lot more. I think all to often we avoid questions like that.
                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-02-18, 14:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                              University "scholars" aren't really his target market.

Also sample size issues, recall bias would be other issues with that.

Comment

University "scholars" aren't really his target market.

Also sample size issues, recall bias would be other issues with that.
                                Ya, there is definitely a bias problem here

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                  Where ironically millions left these shores on boats
                                  those were big boats not small fishing boats I guess

Comment

Hype train starting on Boards weather forum for mega cold snap last week,potentially worse than 2010 or even 62 . Bit of a way off and England looking worse but even you’re man MT is hyping it

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                      Hype train starting on Boards weather forum for mega cold snap last week,potentially worse than 2010 or even 62 . Bit of a way off and England looking worse but even you’re man MT is hyping it
                                      I thought it was grand last week .

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                        It's a great line for the long fella.
                                        Kind of shame about that street in Cork though.
                                        Tim Pat-Coogan inaccuracy shocker. Next week: Water - We expose the truth - it really is wet
                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Good read Tar.

I did raise a chuckle today when I described how I was voluntarily leaving a team and program that is, on paper, succeeding excessively.

I said my decision could either be described as 'brave' or 'stupid'. Personally, I like to think it's both!
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Good points also by V. Negated somewhat by lack of robot device videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              Good points also by V. Negated somewhat by lack of robot device videos.

I’m getting a smart home alarm system and some heating tech installed presently. I’ll link it into Alexa along with the car in time.

You can come over for a full smart home demo once you’ve identified your new mansion/money pit.

This crowd if anyone is interested. Getting a deal via Aviva (a staff incentive for the Mrs) which results in a very small upfront cost and the house insurance and heating saving should almost pay for the monthly monitoring costs. It will cost me money to add various bits later but that’s a cost I faced anyway. Worth checking out once they announce their Aviva deal at the Ideal homes in a month or so.
                                              Last edited by V for Vendetta; 20-02-18, 17:30.

Comment

Chelsea 3-1 Barcelona
                                                Barcelona 2-0 Chelsea

Dodgy decisions. Cripple fights. Red card.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                  Chelsea 3-1 Barcelona
                                                  Barcelona 2-0 Chelsea

Dodgy decisions. Cripple fights. Red card.
                                                  GL

Comment

You have to hand it to William. Hits the right post, hits the left post and 3rd time lucky. Sweet strike too.

Comment

That was a decent game. Hazard different class. Great to watch in that form.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Chelsea let that horrible club off the hook yet again.

Hopefully rob them away

Comment

Potential spanner in the works of the abortion vote, case in the Supreme Court which could delay the voting date.

Comment

Irish payroll/Finance heads

My pal just messaged me in tears.

She was told 2 years ago, as she is the general manager of a pretty new hotel (she worked on the building, design and opening etc) they were getting her a car. She got the car just last month. She knows there are tax things for the car etc and she is paying 700 a month off her monthly wage for it.

On top of that, they are taking a further 10k a year OFF her annual bonus to cover insurance, road tax and depreciation? to me that doesn't sound right?

she is basically paying for the car herself! the car was 25k. and she will be paying 1600 a month basically towards it. Is the move the guy making normal? or is she being royally screwed? cheers

To me it isn't right, but I never really dealt with cars as a benefit in kind in Ireland.

Comment

Tax on cars as BIK is nuts alright, don't remember the details though. Citizens information will have it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

She was told 2 years ago, as she is the general manager of a pretty new hotel (she worked on the building, design and opening etc) they were getting her a car. She got the car just last month. She knows there are tax things for the car etc and she is paying 700 a month off her monthly wage for it.

On top of that, they are taking a further 10k a year OFF her annual bonus to cover insurance, road tax and depreciation? to me that doesn't sound right?

she is basically paying for the car herself! the car was 25k. and she will be paying 1600 a month basically towards it. Is the move the guy making normal? or is she being royally screwed? cheers

To me it isn't right, but I never really dealt with cars as a benefit in kind in Ireland.

Sounds like the company is trying to pull a fast one.
                                                                    May you live in interesting times!

Comment

She’s being hit twice but from the company’s perspective they’re recovering their own costs through the reduction in bonus, I don’t think they could be accused of being unfair (although I doubt that approach would be common).

Comment

€1600x48 months = €76,800.

Youd have a hell of a nice car yourself after 4 years that you'd own....

Comment

Give them back the car.

Comment

The "depreciation" charge needs more investigation. That could be viewed as employee contribution towards the car and reduce the taxable benefit.

Comment

depreciation is an odd one considering the car is likely leased

Comment

Potential spanner in the works of the abortion vote, case in the Supreme Court which could delay the voting date.
                                                                                I have been intentionally ignoring everything to do with the abortion debate but from the little snippet I saw on tv3 news last night there doesn't seem to be any spanner. Varadkar said there was a couple of things waiting to pass through the court such as the wording and where it should be put into the constitution. He said he expects everything to clear in a couple of weeks and it shouldn't delay anything.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  I have been intentionally ignoring everything to do with the abortion debate but from the little snippet I saw on tv3 news last night there doesn't seem to be any spanner. Varadkar said there was a couple of things waiting to pass through the court such as the wording and where it should be put into the constitution. He said he expects everything to clear in a couple of weeks and it shouldn't delay anything.
                                                                                  The pro abortion side seems very determined to have the vote in May.

Comment

Case won’t delay the vote. Supreme Court taking specific steps to avoid that problem arising.

The anti-choice side seems very determined to have no vote

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                      https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-...pany-cars.aspx

Sounds like the company is trying to pull a fast one.
                                                                                      Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                      She’s being hit twice but from the company’s perspective they’re recovering their own costs through the reduction in bonus, I don’t think they could be accused of being unfair (although I doubt that approach would be common).
                                                                                      Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                      €1600x48 months = €76,800.

Youd have a hell of a nice car yourself after 4 years that you'd own....
                                                                                      Give them back the car.
                                                                                      The "depreciation" charge needs more investigation. That could be viewed as employee contribution towards the car and reduce the taxable benefit.
                                                                                      Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                      depreciation is an odd one considering the car is likely leased
                                                                                      Thanks for all that guys, she is planning to tell them to shove the job etc as she feels very undervalued and like it is just an excuse to reduce her very hard earned bonus. She puts her heart and soul and nearly every waking hour into the hotel as the owner is in London and very rarely there. The hotel is making a fortune and it is ALL down to her as she was a marketing manager before moving to this hotel.

In the UK I don't think you would get away with that and I would be off to see a lawyer. There was nothing mentioned prior to this about money being deducted. surely she should have been told this would happen before she got the car.

The car was €60k. I misread her before and she just clarified it there.
                                                                                      As she said, she is paying more per month for the car than she is her own house and she said she could have some damn fine house for everything she is paying all in!

Not sure if the car is leased or not as of yet. I am just trying to get her to NOT tell them to shove the job right away and investigate everything first so she is armed with any information she needs.
                                                                                      The car was bought, not leased...

But you know us wimminz, act now, think later
                                                                                      Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 21-02-18, 09:55. Reason: Told car bought outright

Comment

I guess if I was in favour of everyone having guns I would be concerned about running out of people too.

Comment

I really really hate the term pro abortion. It is Pro Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                            I guess if I was in favour of everyone having guns I would be concerned about running out of people too.
                                                                                            That's a lovely bit of linkage, I enjoyed that
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Ah now. It's pro choice in fairness m8. Not pro abortion

I'm neither here nor there, probably won't bother voting like I always do but sooner the better to have this referendum imo

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                Ah now. It's pro choice in fairness m8. Not pro abortion

I'm neither here nor there, probably won't bother voting like I always do but sooner the better to have this referendum imo
                                                                                                Pro Choice and Pro life are marketing terms.

Comment

But I am pro choice, that does not mean I am pro abortion. This is how I, and most woman feel since it is only OUR bodies this affects.

Comment

But I am pro choice, that does not mean I am pro abortion. This is how I, and most woman feel since it is only OUR bodies this affects.
                                                                                                    Do you think men shouldn't have a vote?

Comment

Just askin

Comment

Sorry admins, but this fucking trend of continually trying to set the agenda each day by barging in with some random thought/question, posting trite soundbites and one-sentencers so that the actual point has to be painfully dragged out over a page of posts is absolutely soul destroying to the thread, far worse than P&Fs nonsense.

From his pointed 'pro abortion' soundbite above, I can actually tell what the next dozen one-liner posts will likely be. I'm all for debate, this isn't it though.
                                                                                                        Needs to be stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          Sorry admins, but this fucking trend of continually trying to set the agenda each day by barging in with some random thought/question, posting trite soundbites and one-sentencers so that the actual point has to be painfully dragged out over a page of posts is absolutely soul destroying to the thread, far worse than P&Fs nonsense.

From his pointed 'pro abortion' soundbite above, I can actually tell what the next dozen one-liner posts will likely be. I'm all for debate, this isn't it though.
                                                                                                          Needs to be stopped.
                                                                                                          is there an Ignore function? why not use that?

Comment

can't ignore the follow up discussion

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                              Just askin
                                                                                                              Askin for a friend?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Needs to be stopped.
                                                                                                                I'd generally disagree with this to be honest.
                                                                                                                A view point (albeit different from the hivemind) is in itself not a destructive thing. Also the effortless nature in which his points are dismissed is to me a useful tool for impressionable posters/lurkers who may enter the rabbit hole of that side of the political spectrum.
                                                                                                                I'd have been quite happy to allow P&F to post pictures of fairies and random meandering shite but she got the can for, imo, the slanderous and personal nature of some of her stuff.
                                                                                                                Honestly, I find the left/right extremes equally distasteful but banning someone for talking shite in a shite talking thread seems like a bad precedence to take.

On the level beneath this, I find it interesting how the hivemind has split a little with left/right leanings as its members age.
                                                                                                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 21-02-18, 10:56.

Comment

Give them back the car.
                                                                                                                  This!

*Also, your friend should go for a good 70% power WTF moment with her boss!
                                                                                                                  Not full on, just enough to put a niggle in
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 21-02-18, 11:11. Reason: *

Comment

A view point (albeit different from the hivemind) is in itself not a destructive thing.
                                                                                                                    I'd have been quite happy to allow P&F to post pictures of fairies and random meandering shite but she got the can for, imo, for the slanderous and personal nature of some of her stuff.
                                                                                                                    Honestly, I find the left/right extremes equally distasteful but banning someone for talking shite in a shite talking thread seems like a bad precedence to take.

On the level beneath this, I find it interesting how the hivemind has split a little with left/right leanings as its members age.
                                                                                                                    You're putting way tooo much thought into it!

Comment

Fake news

Take your tablets Jake!

Comment

A view point (albeit different from the hivemind) is in itself not a destructive thing.
                                                                                                                        I'd have been quite happy to allow P&F to post pictures of fairies and random meandering shite but she got the can for, imo, for the slanderous and personal nature of some of her stuff.

Jack doesn’t express an opinion. He uses non sequiturs, seemingly rhetorical questions, positions expressed as questions so he can resile from them when he is shown as being full of crap/not understanding his topic, intentionally inflammatory positioning and other such right wing flame techniques to try and drive his own agenda.

His thinking is puerile, his techniques transparent and his points of view are ill thought out (insofar as he ever bothers to actually state one). His entire objective appears to be the kid in the back of the class asking the intentionally silly question to drag everyone into his nonsense.

I’ve enjoyed occasionally rubbishing him, and I don’t for a moment think he should be shut out from the discussion, but let’s not kid ourselves that he is arguing from a position of intellectual honesty. He’s just “asking questions”.

Comment

Jack. Recall my question (asked twice with no answer) about the term 'Pro amputation'. Consider someone who would vote to allow amputation be carried out legally in their country.

Are they 'Pro amputation'?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X