Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much shape could I get in, in three Months or so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much shape could I get in, in three Months or so?

Considering setting myself up for an epic prop bet and need some advice.
    How much shape could I realistically get myself in in 3 months?
    I'm 5'9" and 14 stone. I haven't been doing much exercise, and been eating like a pig. Work is quite manual but wouldn't count as exercise.
    The hardest bit for me would be sorting out healthy eating, its something I know next to nothing about, and am quite lazy when I get home about cooking. I never know what to buy in supermarket for a weekly shop so end up having nothing decent in the house. Also, I'd miss the drink...
    If I had a set menu to work off, I think I could stick to it at a stretch. Another problem is I hate fish.

By build isnt too bad, but I've a bit of a gut to lose, its all lodged around the midriff. Ideally I'd liked to get ripped, but appreciate that'd probably take ages. so, yeah, how well could I do, and how do I go about it? It could make for a good start to this personal log forum anyway...
    http://mobro.co/zuroph
    donate to my hairy lip!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEgVM3bzN_Y[/ame]

Seriously thou man if you do try it best of luck
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

What is the end goal for a prop bet?

Comment

Well in just over 2 months I've lost a measly 4Kg, but Wallop Nuts has lost 12Kg or so in the same period.

I still think it's feasible to lose around 1Kg a week safely and consistently but you run the risk of picking up injuries along the way and it requires an iron will. Barry has it, I clearly don't I wouldn't underestimate the effect real life demands have as well, there will be days where you have to miss training/mess with your diet during whatever period you set yourself and alcohol is a real no/no.

Overall I think somewhere around 12/15Kg is achievable as evidenced by Barrys progress, but it's tough going!
        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

iv lost 25 pounds in roughly that amount of time without much effort, i wasnt big by any means though, talk to someone like moneymaker who has put in big effort recently and its paying off for him. with the right attitude its possible to do almost anything tbh

Comment

Healthy eating and a healthy exercise regime will knock the weight off extremely quickly. It's actually pretty easy when you have the right motivation for doing it.
            Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

and what about muscle tone? think that i could add a decent bit of that in that length of time? a 6 pack would be sweet...

Goal is to be toned in time for a wedding at end of october
              donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

any advice on where to pick up a menu to work on?
                donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by zuroph View Post
                  and what about muscle tone? think that i could add a decent bit of that in that length of time? a 6 pack would be sweet...

Goal is to be toned in time for a wedding at end of october
                  tbh you are looking at it the wrong way if a "6 pack" in 3 months is the goal

fit, strong, diet right will stand to you a hell of a lot more than a 6 pack,
                  short term, let the look of your gut look after itself
                  anyhu a suit hangs from the shoulders not the gut

much the same myself but older and carrying shin splints/ dodgy back

Im starting again tomorrow, delaying leaving the country by 3 months to sort this out, haven't been to gym in 10 weeks, got 2 fcukin virus's in a row and pulled a muscle soon after I started back buhu poor me etc

good luck

*bubblekings well had some good stuff in it
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-07-10, 23:50. Reason: *

Comment

This program is very good zuroph. Highly recommended. I've been doing it for about 6 weeks so far....

Stronglifts helps you get stronger, build muscle and improve your fitness. Discover our training program, exercise guides and weightlifting app.

Comment

+1 on stronglifts

You'd be surprised how much can be achieved by heavy compound lifting without having to eat like a bird (in fact I eat like a horse when weight training), more muscle = more calories burned after all.
                      I find weight training a hell of a lot more enjoyable than cardio with better results too.
                      Also, forget about the 6 pack for now,as elshambo said you're gut will sort itself out with a decent diet and regular exercise but a 6 pack is a whole other level of difficult.

Good Luck
                      Last edited by Essien; 13-07-10, 11:07.

Comment

I'm currently back doing this myself put on nearly 4 stone with the ex so yes im completely blaming her but back on the road have a history in nutrition so good base but im 6ft so prob dont look my weight but below is my 1st 3 weeks
                        Week 1 18st 4
                        week 2 17st 8
                        week 3 17st 2
                        week 4 ????

I can post up my diet and supplement suggestions if ya like

Comment

In one month I lost 6.1kg (1 stone) and 6.3% body fat. I started off at 13 stone, and slightly taller than you.

In three months I hope to lose around 12% body fat, and I amnt sure what weight that will be, since my lean mass will be changing

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post

I can post up my diet and supplement suggestions if ya like
                            Definitely, the more info the better, thanks!
                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Well 1st of all ya should get a low carb low calorie protein shake i'd suggest Nectar by Syntrax or Kinetica whey protein they're both quite reasonably priced as well.
                              Secondly i'd suggest getting a fat burner called muscletech hydroxycut its suppresses hunger as well as burning fat its brilliant.

Literally its simple i don't count calories just a high protein low carb diet.
                              I cook all meats in the george foreman only eat vegetables which grow above the ground and limit myself to mainly only eating rice for carbs and porridge in the morning.

So basically i structure like such:
                              BREAKFAST: protein shake and porridge.
                              SNACK: any amount of fruit except bananas
                              then workout
                              POST WORKOUT: protein shake or bar
                              DINNER: 2 chicken fillets or salmon steaks and rice, veg and/salad
                              SNACK: fruit, muller rice yogurt
                              Doesn't sound like much but the amount of protein coupled with the tablets will suppress your hunger and it will be just enough to burn fat without burning muscle!!!

Hope it helps let me know if ya wanna know anythin else!!

Comment

I am in similar spot to yourself brady, 6 ft, 17 st 9, heading downwards. You up for a small friendly prop bet?
                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                  iv lost 25 pounds in roughly that amount of time without much effort,
                                  Unless you put on a bit of weight in texas I'm actually shocked you had 25 pounds available to lose. Basing this on when i seen you last, 16-18 months ago

Well 1st of all ya should get a low carb low calorie protein shake i'd suggest Nectar by Syntrax or Kinetica whey protein they're both quite reasonably priced as well.
                                  Secondly i'd suggest getting a fat burner called muscletech hydroxycut its suppresses hunger as well as burning fat its brilliant.
                                  I agree with a lot of what you say, but some of it is not correct.

Firstly, I agree totally with a high protein diet.
                                  However, shakes promoted for weight loss is wrong. Shakes are used to increase protein intake for people looking to bulk. As they struggle to get the correct amount of protein from whole foods. These people are on a surplus calories.

Shakes do not aid weight loss in any shape or form. They are simple a high calorie drink. If you wish to use them in a weight loss diet they have to replace other calories. A shake might be 400 cals, personally I rather eat a chicken breast, a boiled egg and some green veg for the same calories. And roughly the same breakdown.

The OP is my no means very big, so there is no reason why he can't get all his calories from whole foods.

A big mistake that you see is people sorting out their diet, running about 500-1000 cals a day deficit, then wiping it all out with two shakes a day on top.

Thermogenic pills are a scam. They raise metabolic rate by a tiny amount. So does spicy food, or drinking iced water. Green tea is just as much as an hunger suppressant.

then workout
                                  Doesn't sound like much but the amount of protein coupled with the tablets will suppress your hunger and it will be just enough to burn fat without burning muscle!!!
                                  I'd say any amount of berries, but watch apples as well as bananas, they can be quite high in sugar. I'd agree with all the food suggestions, leaving out root veg etc.

My diet is very similar to this, except I leave out the shakes (and rice too actually) and have a lunch made up of actual food. And a bigger breakfast. I find protein from solid food keeps me fuller for way longer than drinks.

Studies have shown that shakes and whole food protein has the exact same effect on the body.

Zuroph, the fitness forum on boards is a great place to get this kind of info. There are 100s of thread that are exactly like this, generally the first question is post your diet.

Comment

Ok alot of what u said is valid and but protein shakes such as the ones i mentioned especially nectar by syntrax has no carbs no fat and only 90 calories per 30g scoop and gives 23g of protein which is amazing. They are easier to take than eating actual food and will be broken down quicker.
                                    However you only get 31g of protein from 100g chicken and you consume 5g of fat 1 of which is saturated fat. I understand you need fat in your diet but that can be achieved by taking 369 oil or flaxseed oil personally I think the consumption of protein through supplements lets you monitor exactly what your eating more accurately.
                                    Eating protein in the morning increases your metabolism which you need to burn fat and you can't honestly say you feel like eating a chicken breast in the morning so again a protein shake is more convenient.

I just think that you may not know about the variety of different protein shakes available like not every protein shake contains 400 calories, phenomenal amounts of sugar and sweeteners and is a gainer. I personally consume over 100g of pure protein through supplements everyday with a combined calorie content of about 360 calories, 0g of fat 0g of carbs
                                    Now to achieve the same protein from chicken you would have to consume 350g of chicken which would contain 14g of fat(4 of which is saturated fat) no carbs however you would end up consuming almost 600 calories

I firmly believe that the tablets also work I have used many in the past including animal cuts when they still contained ephedra but i find the new hydroxycut to be the best ephedra free tablets on the market and they really do suppress hunger.
                                    Not being smart but have you ever used them yourself???

I personally have have gained and lost alot of weight in the past 4 year and I find this to be the best way to lose weight. I just think that alot of people are unwilling to see the benefits of protein shakes in an everyday diet and feel that they are only used by big bodybuilders.

I agree with the apples thing though :-)

Comment

Ok alot of what u said is valid and but protein shakes such as the ones i mentioned especially nectar by syntrax has no carbs no fat and only 90 calories per 30g scoop and gives 23g of protein which is amazing. They are easier to take than eating actual food and will be broken down quicker.
                                      Firstly, they are no different than any other whey supp.
                                      Its just protein. 23g is about 90.

What do you mix it with? Water I hope, as when you mix it with milk (as most do) you are add a lot of carbs and fat.
                                      I agree they are easy, hence easy to overdo it.

However you only get 31g of protein from 100g chicken and you consume 5g of fat 1 of which is saturated fat. I understand you need fat in your diet but that can be achieved by taking 369 oil or flaxseed oil personally I think the consumption of protein through supplements lets you monitor exactly what your eating more accurately.
                                      If I have a 100g chicken breast its
                                      31g protein, 4g fat, 0g carbs

If you make up a large protein shake, to get the same protein, then take a flax supp, it's
                                      31g protein, 4g fat, 0g carbs

Nutritionally its identically.
                                      You are still getting fats and carbs else where (fruit, rice, salmon), so as long as the ratios are similar there is no difference diet wise. Basically, my point is that I find whole food more filling. I find people are more likely to over do the calories with shakes in their diet.

Eating protein in the morning increases your metabolism which you need to burn fat and you can't honestly say you feel like eating a chicken breast in the morning so again a protein shake is more convenient.
                                      I can't eat chicken early either, I have eggs (good fats too). With some carbs for the day.

I just think that you may not know about the variety of different protein shakes available like not every protein shake contains 400 calories, phenomenal amounts of sugar and sweeteners and is a gainer. I personally consume over 100g of pure protein through supplements everyday with a combined calorie content of about 360 calories, 0g of fat 0g of carbs
                                      Firstly, I'm well aware of the difference between a gainer and whey protein. The fact that you keep mentioning 0g fat, 0g carbs makes me thing you may not.
                                      Just so you know, Nectar by Syntax, is just whey isolate, with some citric acid and sweetener. It's just a brand name on generic whey, probably over priced too.

Oh, and 100g protein is 400 cals. Out of interest, i'll count my protein tomorrow,

Now to achieve the same protein from chicken you would have to consume 350g of chicken which would contain 14g of fat(4 of which is saturated fat) no carbs however you would end up consuming almost 600 calories
                                      That's irrelevant, you are comparing your protein source, with my source of protein and dietary fat. You are still eating food for the day, so are getting these too.

BTW recent studies show that saturate fat isn't actually bad for us, at least not as bad as it made out. Trans-fats are the ones to avoid (now in meat)

I firmly believe that the tablets also work I have used many in the past including animal cuts when they still contained ephedra but i find the new hydroxycut to be the best ephedra free tablets on the market and they really do suppress hunger.
                                      Not being smart but have you ever used them yourself???
                                      No, I haven't. I did consider ephedra, as part of an ECA stack, as its the one that actually works. But the fact that it is illegal turned me off.

There is nothing wrong to get your calories that way, It's exactly the same as eating whole food it obvious works for you.

But I think its a bad method to suggest to others as you are way more likely to eat more calories a day when you are taking 400 calories from shakes. Most people will eat more, ie eating regular sized meals also.

If zuroph feels fuller on meals, then I wouldn't switch.
                                      Anyway zuroph, plenty of food for thought here

Comment

Clearly you really know your stuff Mellor and this isn't a debate about which is better its more about personal preference but Zuroph as Mellor mentioned there is plenty for you to consider.
                                        Ha I would love to post up another argument but everythin you said is correct no arguments as i said just personal preference plus I have a feeling IPB would have to set us aside a section cos these posts would get huge in length.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                          Firstly, I agree totally with a high protein diet.
                                          However, shakes promoted for weight loss is wrong.
                                          +1. Wholefoods sources of protein would be more ffecyive and reduce the rakeback when you resume normal service.

Shakes are used to increase protein intake for people looking to bulk. As they struggle to get the correct amount of protein from whole foods. These people are on a surplus calories.
                                          -1, not always. See Lyle McDonalds Keto book.

I'd say any amount of berries, but watch apples as well as bananas, they can be quite high in sugar. I'd agree with all the food suggestions, leaving out root veg etc. .
                                          Avoid grapes too

I find protein from solid food keeps me fuller for way longer than drinks..
                                          +1

Studies have shown that shakes and whole food protein has the exact same effect on the body...
                                          Depends on the type of protein really, cassein vs whey is a huge debate and although both release more quickly than wholefoods they release at differnet rates.

Zuroph, the fitness forum on boards is a great place to get this kind of info. There are 100s of thread that are exactly like this, generally the first question is post your diet.
                                          +1,-2 Be careful who's advice you take on boards. Will Heffernans post are mostly excellent if you can abide his posting style. Eileen gives good advice on keto but several posters simply repeat bullshit mantras without ever questioning the why.

then workout
                                          Doesn't sound like much but the amount of protein coupled with the tablets will suppress your hunger and it will be just enough to burn fat without burning muscle!!!!!
                                          Read up on Cycilcal vs Targetted Keto but bear in mind that you cannot lose weight without losing some muscle.

Zuroph, are you only doing stronglifts? What are your goals size and strengthwise?

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post

Zuroph, are you only doing stronglifts? What are your goals size and strengthwise?
                                            I take it you mean me?

Yeah I started it as I was always skinny and lost another stone during some stressful times earlier in the year.
                                            Then I was 6'5 and 75kg (lol). I started it and was taking some gainer called Serious Mass for a little bit but its fucking disgusting and I couldn't hack it so now I just eat a lot of whole foods (~4.5k cals a day). I'm up to about 85kg now, at 92.5kg on squat, 65kg on bench, 47.5kg on OH Press, 100 deadlift

Goals are about 90kg weight...120 squat, 80 bench, 60 OHP, 140 deadlift.
                                            Last edited by Guest; 14-07-10, 14:14.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                              I take it you mean me?

Yeah I started it as I was always skinny and lost another stone during some stressful times earlier in the year.
                                              Then I was 6'5 and 75kg (lol). I started it and was taking some gainer called Serious Mass for a little bit but its fucking disgusting and I couldn't hack it so now I just eat a lot of whole foods (~4.5k cals a day). I'm up to about 85kg now, at 92.5kg on squat, 65kg on bench, 47.5kg on OH Press, 100 deadlift

Goals are about 90kg weight...120 squat, 80 bench, 60 OHP, 140 deadlift.
                                              You're 6'5...holy fuck

Squatting will always be hard for you ,but the big lifts add the most muscle so they'll be worth it in the end. What supplementary work are you doing? Box squats, single leg squats, alternate arm DB presses, rows etc

On the food side of things it must be very difficult to eat so many kcals of good clean food. You can and should cheat though on the food side of things though. You're trying to change your natural bw so how you get there isnt as importnat ass you think. For example i was one 132kg so i worked on cutting to 120 and then refeeding to 125, cutting to 110 and refeeding to 115...i'm now 94kg and still have some worj to do. This would apply to you in reverse in that you need to bulk, eat normally, bulk cycle to change you natural BW upwards. Do you have a goal weight...85/90/95kg

Comment

As I was saying above 90kg ish would be grand I think. I don't do any other lifting...It says on the stronglifts guide that its all you need to be doing. I dunno if you're familiar with it, but as well as the bar exercises it has push ups, pull ups, chinups, inverse rows, reverse crunches as part of it.
                                                In terms of the eating it seems I'm genetically incapable of becoming fat so I don't have to be as careful as some people. I've just added loads of tuna, eggs, chicken, cashew nuts, fruit, brown bread and whole milk (which I never used to drink), and a couple of double whopper meals a week (!) to my diet and its working grand. Body fat is staying around 11-12% and weight it increasing so it seems to be ok.
                                                Last edited by Guest; 14-07-10, 14:49.

Comment

hitting a small set back in that I've just found out I've to go for a septoplasty at end of the month, with a recovery time of a week or 2, so that'll throw a spanner in the works, but i'll continue with the diet at that time.

Mellor, I'd be very interested in seeing a sample daily menu of yours? thanks for all the advice so far, been a very good read.
                                                  donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Yeah exactly what Tom D was saying about refeeding is a great idea I done the same because no matter how hard you train, how great your technique or the amount of food you eat your lifts will eventually stagnate I remember when i was bodybuilding i simply couldn't get over 80kg on my chest press so I decided to cut a bit and rebuild and when I started bulking again I got so much stronger and hit 100kg in no time at all same happened at 100kg so done the same and I finally hit 120kg which was my aim

Comment

Clearly you really know your stuff Mellor and this isn't a debate about which is better its more about personal preference but Zuroph as Mellor mentioned there is plenty for you to consider.
                                                      As do you clearly, you are obviously pretty well disciplined to set and make those goals.
                                                      I wasn't trying to shun shakes, and ironically i'm considering a short cycle on shakes in place of fruit, nuts etc and maintain whole food protein meals.

I just hate seeing them marketed as "weight loss shakes" (celebrity slim, slimfast etc). As they aren't magic drinks, they are meals, and the people who buy those products are the least suitable for that kind of dieting.

-1, not always. See Lyle McDonalds Keto book.
                                                      Sorry Tom, should of been more clear. Achieving Keto would be another use for supplements. As would meal replacement (but then they are no longer supplements).
                                                      I'd love to do a run on Keto, but weekend drinking makes it impossible for me I think.

+1,-2 Be careful who's advice you take on boards. Will Heffernans post are mostly excellent if you can abide his posting style. Eileen gives good advice on keto but several posters simply repeat bullshit mantras without ever questioning the why.
                                                      True, there is still a lot of noise. I noticed you diappear a bit lately.
                                                      Transform is good too. But generally if you hang around a bit you'll pick up a lot of the basics. A smart person can figure a lot of the good/bad posts from there.

Comment

Mellor, I'd be very interested in seeing a sample daily menu of yours? thanks for all the advice so far, been a very good read.
                                                        Breakfast;
                                                        3 Eggs, (eg. omlette with tomato or peppers),
                                                        Or Porridge with berries, (made with water)

Snack
                                                        Fruit

Lunch
                                                        Chicken salad (grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion, balsamic vinegar, no oily dressings)
                                                        Or Tuna with a bowl of soup (tomato or pumpkin, avoid the "creamy" ones or those with high carbs)

Snack
                                                        Low cal yogurt or moose

Dinner
                                                        Beef, pork, turkey* or kangaroo* steaks (lean cuts) with green veg (broccolli, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, no root veg), maybe some gravy.
                                                        (*These two are great, 200g piece give 50g protein, 0g carbs and <1g fat, serious about kangaroo too )

Snack
                                                        Beef Jerky or Biltong, or some nuts (nuts are very easy to over do it with)
                                                        I have been sneaking in a low fat icecream here too,

That's generally it mon-thurs, sadly the weekend does a lot of damage to the diet plan.

Comment

Sorry Tom, should of been more clear. Achieving Keto would be another use for supplements. As would meal replacement (but then they are no longer supplements).
                                                          I'd love to do a run on Keto, but weekend drinking makes it impossible for me I think.
                                                          Yeah the sugar, its a killer. i did -15kg on keto but it was hard, i'm back drinking at the weekends now but using targetted protein/fats (carbs before workout) midweek. Its not optimal but keeps me sane and the bodyfat (as opposed to weight) keeps moving in the right direction.

True, there is still a lot of noise. I noticed you diappear a bit lately.
                                                          Transform is good too. But generally if you hang around a bit you'll pick up a lot of the basics. A smart person can figure a lot of the good/bad posts from there.
                                                          I've been keeping quiet and lurking a little. Crossfit style workouts seem to be in fashion over there at the moment whereas it was 531 a few months ago and Oly lifting after that. Transform is good but his recent ab workout video was stolen from bodyrock.tv (youtube..the girl is hot!)..his foam rolling video is very good though.

Its good to see some poeple hitting the rower though, i hope it doesnt catch on too much

Comment

Breakfast;

Snack
                                                            Fruit

Lunch
                                                            Chicken salad (grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion, balsamic vinegar, no oily dressings)
                                                            Or Tuna with a bowl of soup (tomato or pumpkin, avoid the "creamy" ones or those with high carbs)

Snack
                                                            Low cal yogurt or moose

Dinner
                                                            Beef, pork, turkey* or kangaroo* steaks (lean cuts) with green veg (broccolli, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, no root veg), maybe some gravy.
                                                            (*These two are great, 200g piece give 50g protein, 0g carbs and <1g fat, serious about kangaroo too )

Snack

That's generally it mon-thurs, sadly the weekend does a lot of damage to the diet plan.
                                                            This is really good. Are you working out in the evenings? Do you find a huge difference between the monday/tuesday (after the weekends food and drink) workouts to wed/thurs (low carb)?

Comment

Mellor how much difference does making stuff (porridge, shakes etc) with water instead of skimmed milk really make?

I drink 2-3 litres of water a day but I hate making stuff with water (no taste)

cheers!

Comment

Breakfast;

Snack
                                                                Fruit

Lunch

Snack
                                                                Low cal yogurt or moose

Dinner

Snack

Had a look man very cool diet as far as maintenance goes would not suit me at the min because i'm basically cutting but will definitely keep that in mind for when i reach my ideal weight and will definitely give that kangaroo meat a go

Comment

This is really good. Are you working out in the evenings? Do you find a huge difference between the monday/tuesday (after the weekends food and drink) workouts to wed/thurs (low carb)?
                                                                  Not really, the extra carbs are outweighed by the hangover feeling.
                                                                  I find it easier to train on weds/thurs.
                                                                  Last thurs I hit personal bests in both squats and clean and jerk.
                                                                  Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                                  Mellor how much difference does making stuff (porridge, shakes etc) with water instead of skimmed milk really make?

I drink 2-3 litres of water a day but I hate making stuff with water (no taste)

cheers!
                                                                  I rather water as I was never a huge milk fan. But the difference isn't massive. Skim is obv >>> than full fat, but check out the label on a carton of milk, ridic amount of sugar in there.
                                                                  It's a personal thing, I'd just rather the slightly bigger bowl and making it with water.

Comment

right been shopping, and start tomorrow. omlette breakfast (peppers), fruit for snack, lunch I'm lost as to what to do yet, as I usually buy on the road.

fridge is now full of turkey steaks with green veg like broccoli etc.

few questions,

are carrots not great? what about mushrooms? Gonna be quite a shock to the system!
                                                                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Carrots aren't the worst but they aren't great. I buy mixed frozen veg, that has cauliflower, broccolli and carrots, I figure its fine in a small amount like that.
                                                                      After a while you just get to know which is bad by the look of them.

Generally, the root veg are the ones to avoid, spuds, turnip, carrots, parsnip. These would all be heavier (in grams and cals per gram) than cauli, brocco etc for a similar sized piece.

Lunch can be tricky, lately i've been going with soup, salad, or tuna

Comment

Right Day one.

Weight: 13 stone 11 and 3/4

bad start, forgot to buy eggs! bowl of cereal for breakfast.
                                                                        donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Ommelletes are great for Brekkie but remember you are frying them, and no matter what oil you use it'll be pretty dense in calories.

Why not just have two poached eggs/boiled eggs and 2 rashers. Works out at just over 300 calories.

For lunch, make some Fajita mix but dont have the wraps. Like a fajita salad.

Instead of fruit for the snack which is pretty high in sugar have some nuts, Brazil nuts are lovely. The first few days of any new diet will be the hardest as your body will be craving those carbs, if you can last the first 3 days without having any outright sugary/white carbs you'll find it much easier from then on.

The main thing you have to be aware of is you need to be prepared, 2 meals ahead. That stops you from snacking and eating crap.

As much as people say losing weight is hard, it really isnt, its quite easy. Being consistent is the most important thing.
                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Right, home. chicken salad lunch, shop bought though, so not great I'd say, I'll be making my own with turkey and bringing it with me tomorrow.

Now, to figure out how to cook these turkey steaks..
                                                                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

#39
                                                                              Right, home. chicken salad lunch, shop bought though, so not great I'd say, I'll be making my own with turkey and bringing it with me tomorrow.

Now, to figure out how to cook these turkey steaks..
                                                                              I'll post up a typical weeks diet for you, might give inspiration or give you some prep.

Breakfast:
                                                                              2 Boiled eggs with 2 grilled rashers.
                                                                              or
                                                                              Banana and Oat smoothie.
                                                                              or
                                                                              2 egg omellete w/tomato, ham and cheese. (you can actually add anything you want to these, diced chicken and peppers, bacon and onion etc etc)

Lunch: (prepared the night before)
                                                                              Fried chicken(olive oil) w/ a lot of fried peppers and onions. Some salsa to add flavour if you wish. Also, theres this meat seasoning(comes in a little yellow cylinder) that I sometimes add for extra flavour, its nice but its pretty much pure MSG.
                                                                              or
                                                                              Fried chicken(or tuna/salmon) Salad w/ lots of salad leaves and bacon.

Dinner:
                                                                              Oven Baked Salmon Darnes w/ steamed broccoli and peppers.
                                                                              or
                                                                              Taco mince without the tacos, add a lot of veg, peppers, onions, chili, brocoli etc.
                                                                              or
                                                                              Chicken Curry w/wholemeal Rice.

For snacks, I generally have some form of nuts/some bacon jerky type stuff or a boiled egg. Popcorn too.

If you dont like peppers you could be pretty screwed

The thing about it is, being Irish, you are going to be so used to stuffing your face full of Spuds, pasta, rice etc. We have notoriously large portions of them with our dinners in this country. You can still have them but they mess with your insulin levels and thats what essentially makes you fat.
                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

#40
                                                                                cheers for that, i thought cheese would have been a big no no?!

first dinner down. 2 turkey steaks, seasoned with season-all, brocolli and carrot boiled. These turkey steaks are tasty enough! can imagine they'll get boring every day, but I'll experiment with seasoning.
                                                                                donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

#41
                                                                                  cheers for that, i thought cheese would have been a big no no?!

first dinner down. 2 turkey steaks, seasoned with season-all, brocolli and carrot boiled. These turkey steaks are tasty enough! can imagine they'll get boring every day, but I'll experiment with seasoning.
                                                                                  Meh not really. Its all protein and fats, admittedly some of which are saturated but it tastes nice and is good for keeping you feeling full. Dont have it if you think it'd set you back.

Yeah you mention things getting boring, that the number one thing that set me back diet wise. It makes you crave something different so getting on top of it early and googling some recipes for yourself so that your never really bored is a very good idea.

I havent read the thread back really but are you training and if so doing what?? Or a member of a gym? Sorry if Im being lazy by not reading back but theres a load there about other peoples training and I dont think I skimmed over anything relating to yours?

Comment

#42
                                                                                    nope, was looking for advice on that too. starting with walks and cycling, after that not sure. I hate running. some weights and lots of cardio I think.
                                                                                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

#43
                                                                                      nope, was looking for advice on that too. starting with walks and cycling, after that not sure. I hate running. some weights and lots of cardio I think.
                                                                                      Im going training now but Ill be back on later, I might be able to give some insight. Mellor also, he's been working hard the past while so he'd be a good reference point too.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        The other way round will work better ie weights and some cardio and even then intervals rather than steady state cardio. Adding more muscle to your frame will burn more calories and allow you to eat more rather than grinding away with steady state cardio hour after hour. I use rower intervals and i'm pretty sure Mellor does too.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Right Day one.

Weight: 13 stone 11 and 3/4

bad start, forgot to buy eggs! bowl of cereal for breakfast.
                                                                                          Weighing yourself in lbs or kilos is a good way to start, that way you'll see more movement in the numbers and it'll be a physcological boost rather than seeing 13st on the scales for a few weeks you'll see less lbs or kilos. You are currently 194lbs or 88kgs.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            The other way round will work better ie weights and some cardio and even then intervals rather than steady state cardio. Adding more muscle to your frame will burn more calories and allow you to eat more rather than grinding away with steady state cardio hour after hour. I use rower intervals and i'm pretty sure Mellor does too.
                                                                                            Agree that doing your weights first is a good idea. BUT don't agree that doing intervals is the best way, steady state cardio first thing in the morning is just as effective (even more so in my experience although that doesnt count for much.)

Theres actually a thread on boards about it at the minute. I've always thought steady state before breakfast got me the best results though.

The point is though, do whatever you enjoy and do it alot. If thats running, do it, try to best previous times. If its weights, do em, a lot, and try lift bigger. If its metcons and intervals do em more volume for longer and faster, same for cycling, martial arts etc etc.

If you are looking to lose fat though, its generally accepted that doing weights is the best things. Whatever form your cardio takes after that is very much secondary imo.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
                                                                                              Agree that doing your weights first is a good idea.
                                                                                              Not what i was saying. I am saying do more weights than cardio.

BUT don't agree that doing intervals is the best way, steady state cardio first thing in the morning is just as effective (even more so in my experience although that doesnt count for much.)

Theres actually a thread on boards about it at the minute. I've always thought steady state before breakfast got me the best results though.
                                                                                              Is shorttermism a word? I wish it was because i would use it here.

Steady state before breakfast (further reduce glycogen levels, state of starvation) makes a little sense (just a little) and would work short term (very short term) but its a stupid way to train. Losing weight/Gaining weight for normal person (ie not an athlete, cutting etc) should be a change in lifestyle rather than trying to trick your body. A change in lean body mass is the goal of any loss/gain programme and not a reduction in hydration/glycogen/weight levels to fool yourself or the scales

If you are looking to lose fat though, its generally accepted that doing weights is the best things. Whatever form your cardio takes after that is very much secondary imo.
                                                                                              +1

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Mixed opinions on some of the latest here,
                                                                                                Ommelletes are great for Brekkie but remember you are frying them, and no matter what oil you use it'll be pretty dense in calories.

Why not just have two poached eggs/boiled eggs and 2 rashers. Works out at just over 300 calories.
                                                                                                I'd have to disagree here, somewhat.
                                                                                                You are right that all oil is pretty much the same for calories, and i'd not going to bother with olive vrs sunflower vrs coconut etc.

A good pan and a spray oil means that you will have to use very little, obviously pouring out of a bottle is terrible. I hate a thick layer of oil dried up and re-used in a pan.
                                                                                                I must actually weight the amount of oil I s=use, but I'd say its tiny, non stick pan is essential.

Also, eggs are rashers vary so much in calories its pointless to quantify them here, use on pack data. I'm pretty sure the eggs here are smaller than in ireland. 3 large boiled is 200 cals or so. I had that this morning with 2 slices lean bacon (weight watchers, one of their few good products), with was 50, much lower than regular rashers.

I use rower intervals and i'm pretty sure Mellor does too.
                                                                                                Yeah rower intervals and bike intervals, they are pretty much the best cardio in my opinion. Steady state still has a place, warm up, cool down, first set on a cardio day. But I always finish with rower or bike (normally both).

Step 1. Do 500m on the rower flat out, 2 minute rest,
                                                                                                Step 2. Repeat x 4
                                                                                                Step 3. Feel a bit sick and unable to walk, but happy because you know you burned a shit load of energy.

Weighing yourself in lbs or kilos is a good way to start, that way you'll see more movement in the numbers and it'll be a physcological boost rather than seeing 13st on the scales for a few weeks you'll see less lbs or kilos. You are currently 194lbs or 88kgs.
                                                                                                +1
                                                                                                Good point Tom. I go with kilos, just because I lift weights in kilos. All my goals are based on body weight lifts (or factors of bodyweight, eg 1.25BW squat).
                                                                                                But pounds are fine too, if you are used to stone

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Unless you put on a bit of weight in texas I'm actually shocked you had 25 pounds available to lose. Basing this on when i seen you last, 16-18 months ago
                                                                                                  I had a full fitness evaluation and weighed in at 198 pounds. the trainer was shocked i weighed that much. me not having a clue about lbs and not owing a weighing scales for 15 years had no clue how much that was. turns out i am or was to be more accurate "very solid". professional term obv

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Morning two.

Weight 87.9kg

I've prepped a turkey salad to take to work for lunch.
                                                                                                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Is shorttermism a word? I wish it was because i would use it here.

Steady state before breakfast (further reduce glycogen levels, state of starvation) makes a little sense (just a little) and would work short term (very short term) but its a stupid way to train. Losing weight/Gaining weight for normal person (ie not an athlete, cutting etc) should be a change in lifestyle rather than trying to trick your body. A change in lean body mass is the goal of any loss/gain programme and not a reduction in hydration/glycogen/weight levels to fool yourself or the scales

This is what I expected and I'm not going to argue otherwise because this is one of the things that you won't change your mind on.

If you read up on it, read some of Wills posts on boards, or even www.leangains.com. I should have said, have a protein shake first thing before your workout but thats all.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        This is what I expected and I'm not going to argue otherwise because this is one of the things that you won't change your mind on.

If you read up on it, read some of Wills posts on boards, or even www.leangains.com. I should have said, have a protein shake first thing before your workout but thats all.
                                                                                                        Will trains athletes and is currently cutting for his fight on saturday using glycogen depletion today along with super hydration for the past week. I do however agree to a point in that the protein shake should ensure you're buring fat rather than muscle BUT constantly working out before eating in the mornings is the road to ruin in the long run.

Yeah rower intervals and bike intervals, they are pretty much the best cardio in my opinion. Steady state still has a place, warm up, cool down, first set on a cardio day. But I always finish with rower or bike (normally both).

Step 1. Do 500m on the rower flat out, 2 minute rest,
                                                                                                        Step 2. Repeat x 4
                                                                                                        Step 3. Feel a bit sick and unable to walk, but happy because you know you burned a shit load of energy.
                                                                                                        4*500m 2mins rest is very tough but your rest/work ratio is >1:1. Change it up a little especially the metres and sometimes with the rest. On a good week (ie most weeks) 1:1 is great, on a bad week go 1:5:1 (ie 45seconds rest for 30seconds work)

I do three rower sessions a week (as well as 2*strength,1*prowler/metcon conditioing, BJJ*8hours-ish)

10*250m with 60 secs rest = almost 1:1 then 5mins rest then repeat 10*250m with 60secs rest = about 45mins total = about 45mins total

10*150m with 30secs rest again 1:1 with 5mins rest then repeat 10*150m = 25mins total

3*500m 2mins rest 5mins rest then repeat 3*500m 2mins rest = 25/30mins

All result in near death experiences including hallucinations half way through the second set

You can also change it up by doing max effort pyramids 50/100/150/200/250/300/250/200/etc all with 1mins rest = not fcking fun

Another important thing is to be consistent with your times. Their is no point doing your first interval at 1.29 for 500m and your third for 1.50. At the moment i try to have no more than a 1s (ie +/1 1s from the first interval time) differential on my 150m intervals, 2s on 250m and 5s on 500m.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Morning two.

Weight 87.9kg

I've prepped a turkey salad to take to work for lunch.
                                                                                                          Forgot to say, dont weigh yourself every day. Weigh your food by all means but not yourself, leave that to weekly.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Forgot to say, dont weigh yourself every day. Weigh your food by all means but not yourself, leave that to weekly.
                                                                                                            why not every day?
                                                                                                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              why not every day?
                                                                                                              1. Plants negative images in your head
                                                                                                              2. You could start skipping meals if you are not seeing movement
                                                                                                              3. The actual amount you will drop even in a good day can be so small you will hardly notice it on the scale

once a week/every two weeks is better as you're not becoming obsessed with seeing the difference and when you do get on scale you will see actual results
                                                                                                              which is

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Anyone care to tell me what's wrong with bananas? Surprised to see so many people say to avoid them.
                                                                                                                "I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes art. You read a book and the writer touches something in you that you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life. If you are living like an animal, what is the point? What makes the day interesting is that we try to transform it into something that is close to art." - Arsene Wenger

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  1. Plants negative images in your head
                                                                                                                  2. You could start skipping meals if you are not seeing movement
                                                                                                                  3. The actual amount you will drop even in a good day can be so small you will hardly notice it on the scale

once a week/every two weeks is better as you're not becoming obsessed with seeing the difference and when you do get on scale you will see actual results
                                                                                                                  which is
                                                                                                                  This, and if you want to be really neurotic about it get your mm's measured using a calipers to see your bodyfat percentage. The real goal is to lose fat not weight.

Originally posted by Wreck View Post
                                                                                                                  Anyone care to tell me what's wrong with bananas? Surprised to see so many people say to avoid them.
                                                                                                                  I dont really know to be honest. I wouod guess that its because they are high in sugar and that sugar will be stored as fat if not used pretty quickly after eating. I do eat them though because they are one of the few things i can stomach during a long training session (ie a 2.5 hour BJJ session).

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    What TomD says above is spot on. Although they are 'good' sugars, but you should keep your banana intake to a minimum an they are high GI.

Best time to take a banana is immediately after a weights workout along with your whey protein. Get them both in within an hour of finishing training. The banana gives you an insulin spike & helps process the whey quicker into your muscles thus helping the body move from catabolic to anabolic state. A little bit of Flaxseed in with the protein shake also helps and is a superb source of the 3 essential Omega fats.

I weight train but the only time I use a protein shake is immediately after a weights workout and, occasionally, first thing in morning if I can't get any food protein in.

Rest of the time I try to get all my nutrition from wholesome food TBH. Not really into supplements at all.

Last edited by TM2204; 22-07-10, 14:33.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Think its the sugars alright

anyhu if not on a health kick your only supposed to take 2(?) bananas a day max due to the high levels of potassium or other such mineral, (well afaik its the potassium)

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        4*500m 2mins rest is very tough but your rest/work ratio is >1:1. Change it up a little especially the metres and sometimes with the rest. On a good week (ie most weeks) 1:1 is great, on a bad week go 1:5:1 (ie 45seconds rest for 30seconds work)
                                                                                                                        .
                                                                                                                        .
                                                                                                                        .
                                                                                                                        .
                                                                                                                        Another important thing is to be consistent with your times. Their is no point doing your first interval at 1.29 for 500m and your third for 1.50. At the moment i try to have no more than a 1s (ie +/1 1s from the first interval time) differential on my 150m intervals, 2s on 250m and 5s on 500m.
                                                                                                                        I change the routine around a bit, 500m is the most common one, but sometimes do 250m/1min rest.

Originally I was doing 500m/1min rest but I don't recover enough imo. Work much harder with the extra rest.

I'm pretty consistent with my pace +/- 1 second would be about right, I often use the pace boat feature (Concept 2 rowers) and set it to between 1.50 and 2.05 depending on how I feel and how much weight training has gone on.
                                                                                                                        anyhu if not on a health kick your only supposed to take 2(?) bananas a day max due to the high levels of potassium or other such mineral, (well afaik its the potassium)
                                                                                                                        Pretty sure this is an urban myth. You'd have to eat a lot to OD

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X