• Time
  • Show
Clear All

$22 Double Stack hand

Hand is from $22 ipoker double stack.

SS 6k. 10 handed
    Avg 6.75k
    level 20/40
    No reads, new table and I didn't have the time to check for stats.

Villain(UTG+1, 6.1k) opens to 120,
    MP calls(12.2k),
    Hero(BB, 5.8k) 3bets to 440 with AKo,
    Villain 4bets to 1200,
    1 fold and hero calls.

Flop(pot 2540): 249r
    Hero check folds to a bet of 1050.

~I'm just wondering is this standard or what's the best line to take here?

~Does anyone 5bet, I thought it would be bad?

~The main thing that was bothering me about this spot is playing the hand oop in a 4bet pot, is it a case of giving up on any flop we don't hit?

~What can be read into his bet sizing on the flop?

I assume it's standard on the flop but I've assumed a lot of flawed things about this game!

Thoughts appreciated, please and thanks.

i think you played it fine but I'd be interested to see other people's thoughts. i might be inclined to just flat three handed with a great chance of check raising an A or K flop and doing the loots thereafter if necessary 120 seems a small amount to gamble on that basis, 1050 rather more...

Comment

Flatting preflop is definitely an option. People seem to forget that in the early stages of tournaments, most players tend to play very ABC. Therefore, early position opening ranges are always going to be much tighter even for the loosest of players. I'm not sure auto 3betting AK vs an unknowns EP raise is going to be profitable.

Lastly, think of why you're 3betting AK before you do it. If you think it's ahead of the UTG+1 raiser's opening range and that he will call a 3bet with worse or call and play ABC postflop then by all means 3bet. Otherwise, consider flatting. You'll often get to extract more value from hands you dominate in a spot like this as by 3betting you're folding out most worse aces anyway as your 3bet looks so strong.
      Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Fold to the 4b

Comment

Just to expand on that, since leaving a one line answer doesn't really help...

UTG+1 is only going to be opening and 4betting like QQ+ and AK, that's pretty much it. Maybe it goes as wide as JJ and AQs or something but that's a big if, readless. There is gonna be some random shit in there but it's pretty negligible - his range is just pretty much made up of these monster hands. Sure, you have an A and a K in your hand but your still not doing well against his range.

Flatting is bad because your playing oop in a spot where you are dominated by your opponents range and you don't really stack him when you hit a favourable flop as much as he stacks you (something like a K high flop, it all goes in vs AA whereas an A high flop, he will slow right down with KK, etc.). And you c/f so many flops, so if his range is so wide as to include like AJ/AQ and air he still takes it down on a ton of flops. Flatting here just won't show a profit...

5betting is pretty obv just spew because so much of his range has you crushed and the rest is a flip, basically.

Thus, I think folding is best. You would need some pretty rock solid evidence that this guy is completely psychotic to consider getting it in pre here, and when you're 150bb effective, even the psycho's calm it down a bit

Comment

I think I just flat the open here too for Ian's reasoning.
            Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Ye, I've been weighing it all up and I feel that flatting is best in this spot. I don't like 3bet folding and flatting can properly get me the most value out of the hand.

Thanks for the comments all.

Comment

I was reading Lex Veldhuis was taking about an AK hand he played early on in a deep stack game. He said that it keeps the pot small early on and is happy to just call and see what happens. It also really disguises your hand and get plenty of Ax and Kx hands to pay you off if either flop top pair. I think early on i flat rather than three-bet.

Comment

I would be inclined to 3bet here in position and wouldn't have thought twice about it. Should I be flatting then too? Example could be the same hand only I'm in LP.

Comment

Working...
                  X