Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    Good to hear the dubs are taking care of the hipster beer while I'm doing my best to keep the international behemoth breweries alive. I'm mouldy on Carlsberg for the last two weeks.
    These might be our last beers on earth. Make them good ones imo.

If Carlsberg is your ‘good’ when it comes to beer though - full steam ahead.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Have found that cans of Guinness arent as bad as I expected. Wouldn't drink more than a couple but tis grand all the same.

Comment

8/10 to put RD in his place.

SPOILER

Q4 was Coolidge, LBJ and Truman
        Dunphy played for York and Reading

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        This should more up my street

SPOILER
        1. Who was Henry VIII's first wife?
        Catherine of Argon
        (unless you're Henry who would claim Jane Seymour was the first Legit wife )
        2. The Joad family are the protagonists of which novel?
        The Grapes of Wrath
        3. Name the main character in Catch-22.
        Yossarian
        4. Name 2 of the 3 US presidents who declined to run for a second full term in the 20th century.
        Carter Hoover... (maybe coolidge was the 3rd?)
        5. What is the state capital of Minnesota?
        St Paul?
        6. Eamon Dunphy played for Manchester United and Millwall. Name one other English club he played for.
        Wolves?
        7. Name any horse who finished second to Best Mate in a Gold Cup.
        Commanche Court, Truckers Tavern and Sir Rembrant with Harbour pilot third twice
        8. Which country, primarily located on a continental landmass, has a capital Malabo located on an island more than 100km offshore?
        Equatorial Guinea
        9. The Battle of the Little Bighorn took place in what modern day US state?
        Montana
        10. Name the Shakespeare play which tells the story of two sets of twins separated at birth.
        Comedy of Errors

Comment

Good to hear the dubs are taking care of the hipster beer while I'm doing my best to keep the international behemoth breweries alive. I'm mouldy on Carlsberg for the last two weeks.
          Went out and got myself 3x different cans of Kinnegar after all this craft talk, cheers Silver Tiger.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
            My mother is in a high risk group with various underlying issues. She was on waiting list since Saturday for a test pre the "restart" (so 4 days). She called her doc again first thing Wednesday morning as same symptoms still there, went to hospital and had various tests, was back home by 5pm Wednesday. Got a call tonight about 7pm to advise negative for COVID and FLU. So circa a 36 hour turnaround from calling doc which I thought was very good at this stage (also thought it was too quick for COVID result but have to go on face value they wont give a negative reading without knowing).
            This is reassuring. My mother also high risk having COPD, she's been in lock down for over 3 weeks.

I was tested on Tuesday, still waiting results. Have been mainly ok but some rough symptoms the last couple of days. Trying to stay away from news/social media as it's not helping with the anxiety!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
              These might be our last beers on earth. Make them good ones imo.

If Carlsberg is your ‘good’ when it comes to beer though - full steam ahead.
              Oh no I know it's crap. I seem to have avoided developing a palette over the years despite drinking an inordinate amount of beer. IPAs just don't rev my engine at all. I know it's a me problem, I'm self-lampooning.

There's a local brewery down here in Limerick called Treaty City that do a larger (along with ales etc) that I love and drink almost exclusively - hoping for a delivery from them tomorrow but if not I'll soldier on with the rubbish for the good of Annhauser-Busch or whoever makes the swill I've been getting through at the rate of a box a day

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                Have found that cans of Guinness arent as bad as I expected. Wouldn't drink more than a couple but tis grand all the same.
                I'm my 6th, better they get the further the memory of the taste of a real one fades
                airport, lol

Comment

Think Trump close to an implosion

Comment

Originally posted by alocon View Post
                    This is reassuring. My mother also high risk having COPD, she's been in lock down for over 3 weeks.

I was tested on Tuesday, still waiting results. Have been mainly ok but some rough symptoms the last couple of days. Trying to stay away from news/social media as it's not helping with the anxiety!
                    My cousin, living with my very high risk uncle, was also tested Tuesday and no result yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                      Think Trump close to an implosion
                      Although his advisers have obviously imposed stricter rules on him he still shows great failings.
                      • Stalled for over 5 minutes naming all the G20 members
                      • Praised Mexico for providing army support on the border (and their new positive relationship) however Mexican's don't want the Americans to cross that way due to the lax efforts so far
                      • Did not provide any stats on cases or deaths
                      • Continues his constant needling at persons he does not like
                      • Continues to use inappropriate language for the situation
                      • Continues to provide farcical time lines
                      • His team on stage continue to fail to social distance the 2 meters

I had the same contempt for both Trump and Boris before this but there is definitely a divergence in that more recently.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                        I'm my 6th, better they get the further the memory of the taste of a real one fades
                        Out in the van this week so no booze. Gonna absolutely horse into a few cans tomorrow evening

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                              The interesting thing about the Irish 255 cases is that its based on 15-20,000 daily tests. And only tests of the most obvious cases. So there's an incredible amount of 'well I obviously have COVID' that's not been proven to be the case.
                              Yeah, they obviously had to change the criteria the other day because their numbers were showing people presenting with a single symptom were incredibly unlikely to test positive. Wasn't it in the mid-nineties overall testing negative?

Comment

Yeah, there's no chance Italy were testing anywhere close to the population equivalent of 250,000 a day. So we're probably capturing quite a lot of extra cases.
                                What were they reporting though...this is scary if true.

This too shall pass.

Comment

The interesting thing about the Irish 255 cases is that its based on 15-20,000 daily tests. And only tests of the most obvious cases. So there's an incredible amount of 'well I obviously have COVID' that's not been proven to be the case.
                                  Where are you getting that figure. Last I noted we were getting through about 2000 tests a day?

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                    Yeah, they obviously had to change the criteria the other day because their numbers were showing people presenting with a single symptom were incredibly unlikely to test positive. Wasn't it in the mid-nineties overall testing negative?
                                    That is effectively where we want to get to as we'll then likely start to see the active cases drop.

We were getting a positivity rate of approx 7% pre-change, that's not low enough given SK have a positivity rate of 2.6%.
                                    They're testing anyone with a mild suspicion but the cases are based on incredible contact tracing and/or symptoms opposed to a lot of ours pre-change being simply cold calls.
                                    We want to eventually test everyone that ask and even though our capacity is high, we need to prioritise those at greater risk for now.

I suspect what you'll see in the coming days is an increase in the positivity rate for the short term and then a gradual decrease as they're able to free up space for the lower probability cases.

This should happen sooner rather than later as average contacts have gone from 20->5 and our testing capacity is growing.

I'd have close to zero concerns regarding testing capacity in Ireland, for us it's down to ICU capacity.
                                    Have we done enough to date to curb the spread that we're not overwhelmed.

That's what happened Italy, Spain & now the US, they were just too late to the party.

Comment

These tests have to be referred by a GP also. Obviously there is a bit of Dr. Google with the symptoms by people who suspect they have it but it shows a couple of things to me ... GP's cannot diagnose COVID based on symptoms portrayed/described and GP's are scared to not refer people due to the impact a failed referral may have on the system.

Comment

I know we're growing our ICU capacity but are there any figures published showing current occupancy and what percentage that is of capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                          Where are you getting that figure. Last I noted we were getting through about 2000 tests a day?

Opr
                                          Correct. They will not be capable of completing 15000 tests a day until the end of April according to Cillian de Gascun at a briefing the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                            Correct. They will not be capable of completing 15000 tests a day until the end of April according to Cillian de Gascun at a briefing the other day.
                                            Hitch never lets a minor detail like facts get in the way of a sweeping statement. He didn't get where he is today by fact checking!

Comment

Is that both laboratory analysis and taking a sample or just our ability to take the samples per day?

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                Is that both laboratory analysis and taking a sample or just our ability to take the samples per day?

Opr
                                                The jornalist asking the question specifically mentioned "processing samples in labs" so I'd assume it's the former but that is only my take on it and I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  I know we're growing our ICU capacity but are there any figures published showing current occupancy and what percentage that is of capacity?
                                                  My back of the envelope calc would make it around 23% of capacity as of today. That's assuming no other non-Covid19 cases are taking beds which isn't true of course.

5.6 beds/100,000 people so approx 274 beds. 47 in ICU up to 2 days ago so 16-17% increase in cases last 2 days so around 16-17% increase in ICU cases makes it around 63 ICU beds required.

Not sure where any other region was tracking but that's a rough guesstimate. Assume it'll jump due to the priority testing though.
                                                  Last edited by Guest; 26-03-20, 23:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                    My back of the envelope calc would make it around 23% of capacity as of today. That's assuming no other non-Covid19 cases are taking beds which isn't true of course.

5.6 beds/100,000 people so approx 274 beds. 47 in ICU up to 2 days ago so 16-17% increase in cases last 2 days so around 16-17% increase in ICU cases makes it around 63 ICU beds required.

Not sure where any other region was tracking but that's a rough guesstimate. Assume it'll jump due to the priority testing though.
                                                    There are or, at least soon will be, more than 274 ICU beds. The private hospitals are going to give extra ICU capacity while some traditional beds in public hospitals are being converted to add additional resources.

Comment

With potentially 6-8 weeks until the peak according to medical sources I've heard today.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                          With potentially 6-8 weeks until the peak according to medical sources I've heard today.
                                                          So it looks like ICU will be overwhelmed within 3 weeks or sooner and we've potentially 8 weeks until it peaks?

Jesus.

Comment

Comment

Isn't there though a big ongoing increase in pseudo-ICU beds, so the real capacity will be quite a bit higher when the peak hits?

I'm imagining also - and this is pure guesswork - that caring for a room full of corona patients is not the same as a regular ICU where everyone potentially has something different wrong with them. So maybe the full ICU setup is not quite needed. As in, to use a horrible term, there's potentially some economies of scale, by everyone having the same thing wrong with them.
                                                              For 2 weeks in one Italian hospital every one of the ICU patients admitted died with coronavirus complications.

Comment

Isn't there though a big ongoing increase in pseudo-ICU beds, so the real capacity will be quite a bit higher when the peak hits?

I'm imagining also - and this is pure guesswork - that caring for a room full of corona patients is not the same as a regular ICU where everyone potentially has something different wrong with them. So maybe the full ICU setup is not quite needed. As in, to use a horrible term, there's potentially some economies of scale, by everyone having the same thing wrong with them.
                                                                ICU beds are vitally important.

Opr

Comment

So it looks like ICU will be overwhelmed within 3 weeks or sooner and we've potentially 8 weeks until it peaks?

Jesus.
                                                                  2000 ventilators available according to HSE COO so I assume they will have at least that number of critical care beds to accommodate those ventilators. I think you have to remain somewhat positive at this stage.

Comment

Capacity isn't all about beds and ventilators though.

From that Atlantic article Murdrum posted..

There are only about 180,000 ventilators in the U.S. and, more pertinently, only enough respiratory therapists and critical-care staff to safely look after 100,000 ventilated patients.

Comment

2000 ventilators available according to HSE COO so I assume they will have at least that number of critical care beds to accommodate those ventilators. I think you have to remain somewhat positive at this stage.

And stay the fuck inside if you can, dont spread this by being a Gowl.
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Jesus.
                                                                          That's why the UK and US have persuaded/begged hoover and car companies to make medical ventilators in significantly large volumes ASAP.

Comment

Went out and got myself 3x different cans of Kinnegar after all this craft talk, cheers Silver Tiger.
                                                                            Sipping a yannaroddy stout from them now good stuff

Comment

Thought this was interesting on why the German death rate from corona is so low.

France was screwed over by that as the initial outbreak happened during the winter school break (end of Feb) when everyone goes back to their parents or somewhere rural. Has meant a huge outbreak in these rural areas where mainly elderly people live.

Comment

Oh no I know it's crap. I seem to have avoided developing a palette over the years despite drinking an inordinate amount of beer. IPAs just don't rev my engine at all. I know it's a me problem, I'm self-lampooning.

There's a local brewery down here in Limerick called Treaty City that do a larger (along with ales etc) that I love and drink almost exclusively - hoping for a delivery from them tomorrow but if not I'll soldier on with the rubbish for the good of Annhauser-Busch or whoever makes the swill I've been getting through at the rate of a box a day
                                                                                Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                Get him to do Cheltenham

Comment

Been trolling the Cheltenham goers and various other uneducated muppets across the different Facebook groups to pass the time the last 11 days of staying indoors. Facebook is a horrible place but it shows you how alot of people out there think. Absolute idiots. Great way to kill time.

Came across a post calling out for Irelands saviour Mary Lou to take over and make it all better. Someone called Mary Lou responded. Asked her how her sniffles are. Called out another post treating her as the saviour and said she'd do no better and this is no time for politics. The Mary Lou person replied to both, agreed its not time for politics and she's just looking after the people and that she's under the weather hopefully it's a cold or flu. Checked the page, it's actually Mary Lou.

Advised her to drink flat 7up. She liked this. Bitta craic tbf to her.

Anyone who voted Sinn Fein. Go read all the idiotic drool fueled crap on Facebook and get a feel of the people who voted with you. The leader you wanted is there too.

Comment

Townes knew

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                      Sipping a yannaroddy stout from them now good stuff
                                                                                      Ran out of this. Found a stash of bulmers
                                                                                      Civilisation is only 3 bottles deep

Comment

Update on the different counties debacle here in Dallas. My best friend here is in an apartment whilst building a house in a free movement area. Turns out someone at the complex has tested positive despite fact that tests are limited to 250 a day in the city outside of the ER. He was issued with what can only be described as a be careful update. No restrictions on movement or anything.

On the upside I picked up at 1.5kg bone in ribeye tomahawk steak for $18 at the grocery store tonight.

Comment

Americans seem to love their freedom so much they'd rather die than give it up. One of my nephews headed back to his college accomodation in Maine after spending the weekend with his parents in Pelham. A 700km trip from Covid central, and his college isn't even open.

Lou Reed performs "Last Great American Whale" live at the Farm Aid concert in Indianapolis, Indiana on April 7th, 1990. Farm Aid was started by Willie Nelson...
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                            Americans seem to love their freedom so much they'd rather die than give it up. One of my nephews headed back to his college accomodation in Maine after spending the weekend with his parents in Pelham. A 700km trip from Covid central, and his college isn't even open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbBB8QEbUtg
                                                                                            Great story keep them coming. I think people worry stress to much about what others are doing stuff which we have no control over. We I feel can do our best for ourselves and those closest to us. Quoting idiots like Trump how does that help?

Comment

The US are now number 1. Will Trump hold up his finger in celebration? For people getting stressed out. Its within your power to keep it from your door but be extra vigilant for other indoor accidents. Our 3 year old clobbered his noggin. Big lump but nothing cut. Wtf if he had needed stitches . Gotta go perimeter breach ..

Comment

So had to do the weekly shop last night. The mindset was akin to when you leave the safety of the village out into the zombie infested woods to get some provisions . You make it back by outpacing the slow meandering zombies trollies, and then check yourself for possible bites as you got too close in the delicatessen aisle when one zombie just stood there for 5 minutes pondering which fking cheese she needed to devour. Get out of the fking way. Back in the village now but not looking forward to the next venture, there were a lot more zombies out there than last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                  The US are now number 1. Will Trump hold up his finger in celebration? For people getting stressed out. Its within your power to keep it from your door but be extra vigilant for other indoor accidents. Our 3 year old clobbered his noggin. Big lump but nothing cut. Wtf if he had needed stitches . Gotta go perimeter breach ..
                                                                                                  The man in the wheelchair.
                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                  What movie?

Comment

The sibling I'm most concerned about is my older brother (55) with COPD who lives in Queens NY. On the plus side he's been fairely socially isolated for years, and his partner is working from home.
                                                                                                    Was last talking to him exactly two weeks ago, and he was of the opinion that the virus was fake news, and would blow over. I mean, he was never going to be a quantum physicist, but to hear him parrot the Donald was disheartening to put it mildly.

Comment

I see loss of taste/smell is now considered a symptom, I'm now about 95% sure I got it in Vegas end of January so no surprise to see their numbers so high.

Comment

A simpler time. Off you go GAB.....

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                          The man in the wheelchair.
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          What movie?
                                                                                                          You got me . Movie ?

Comment

As previously mentioned, quickly becoming leaders in this department

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                              I see loss of taste/smell is now considered a symptom, I'm now about 95% sure I got it in Vegas end of January so no surprise to see their numbers so high.
                                                                                                              Wondering do you know what blood group you are? Have heard a few serious people suggest that people with type A blood are faring much worse than those with type O. Have yet to see any data though.

Comment

You got me . Movie ?
                                                                                                                SPOILER

SPOILER

Comment

The sibling I'm most concerned about is my older brother (55) with COPD who lives in Queens NY. On the plus side he's been fairely socially isolated for years, and his partner is working from home.
                                                                                                                  Was last talking to him exactly two weeks ago, and he was of the opinion that the virus was fake news, and would blow over. I mean, he was never going to be a quantum physicist, but to hear him parrot the Donald was disheartening to put it mildly.
                                                                                                                  I have an Aunt living in New York, been there since her 20s who has transformed from an intelligent articulate woman who I was very fond of to a racist tinfoil (maga) hat wearing, Fox news consuming drooler, in the space of 4-5 years. Its so sad tbh. Last time she was over here she fell out with me early in the trip after a healthy debate, ive had to pull back and just not engage with her at all when politics or anything vaguely related to it comes up.

Really has been an eye opener though, like a lot of Irish Americans of her vintage there has always been an underlying racist element but the Donald has just let them kick on and spout this crap without fear of judgment. My mother finds it all very upsetting when speaking to her, the latest was that the Chinese released this designer virus from a lab in Wuhan to allow China take over the world.

Comment

Wondering do you know what blood group you are? Have heard a few serious people suggest that people with type A blood are faring much worse than those with type O. Have yet to see any data though.
                                                                                                                    Put a gun to my head and I think I'm O but not sure at all. I was in bed for a week, barely ate, everything tasting like cardboard as much as no appetite, sounded like I was coughing my lungs up but not productive, drifted in and out of sleep in a delirious state most of the week. Different to any flu I have ever had but not necessarily worse.

Comment

No Friday night pints tonight, why not use the price of a pint of Guinness anyway for a good cause...

Everyone knows someone. Today is STILL Daffodil Day. Unfortunately this year we can’t go out and buy our pins so please buy a digidaff instead! Text DAFFODIL to 50300 to donate €4 to the Irish Cancer Society #DigitalDaffodilDay.

Or....

Comment

Apparently there seems to be a few fake COVID19 tracker maps doing the rounds to entice a click and embed malicious software onto your device.

What with me being a Techno wizz I thought id warn you

Im sure most of you know more about it than me

Comment

So had to do the weekly shop last night. The mindset was akin to when you leave the safety of the village out into the zombie infested woods to get some provisions . You make it back by outpacing the slow meandering zombies trollies, and then check yourself for possible bites as you got too close in the delicatessen aisle when one zombie just stood there for 5 minutes pondering which fking cheese she needed to devour. Get out of the fking way. Back in the village now but not looking forward to the next venture, there were a lot more zombies out there than last week.
                                                                                                                          was in town yesterday to give blood.
                                                                                                                          The city centre has been reclaimed by roaring junkies and deliveroo drivers.
                                                                                                                          It's a pretty surreal experience.
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X