Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Staub is superior imo.

I think the description I heard was 'Le Creuset is what cooks use, Staub is what chefs use'.
    i still have my dad's le creuset from the 70s, and love it.

chefs can use whatever the fuck they want, i'm just a fucking cook!

still angry after today, so i'd better win that tipping competition you keep raving on about!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      He may not be getting the absolute wins, but he's so ridiculously consistent at getting in the top at the moment.
      Don't disagree.

But there is one part of his game, and pretty much only one part, stopping him from getting the 'absolute wins'. Putting 8-12 feet, and particularly putting 8-12ft when the shot means more.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
        i still have my dad's le creuset from the 70s, and love it.

chefs can use whatever the fuck they want, i'm just a fucking cook!

still angry after today, so i'd better win that tipping competition you keep raving on about!
        The even more annoying thing is that they didn't really turn up. They were so far off the team that beat England and Wales.

Hopefully they finish the 6N off with a performance and we get a decent game in Gay Paree.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

There's the pull miss, twice. Pressure pressure pressure.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
            Rory pulling a Rory.

Although even at 2 back I think he's prob fav here as it stands.
            ...Gone now, had been looking well and seemed to be one to beat, unfortunate...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
              ...Gone now, had been looking well and seemed to be one to beat, unfortunate...
              Killing thing is, he still has the ability to win, even today. There are doubles, triples and quads out there if the wind keeps at it, and its supposed to.

Its unlikely, but he undoubtedly has the game to win, even from here.

Yet... he won't, because hes a mental midget.

Comment

Killing thing is, he still has the ability to win, even today. There are doubles, triples and quads out there if the wind keeps at it, and its supposed to.

...Yep, will likely shoot -2=-3 back 9, 2 off the lead and another consistent top 5... If he became more consistent he would be winning 5 6 times a season...

Comment

He makes odd decisions . Nees a better caddy imo. Would make all the difference

Comment

A great time to be releasing bad news for governments and plcs. Keep an eye out.
                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

The even more annoying thing is that they didn't really turn up. They were so far off the team that beat England and Wales.

Hopefully they finish the 6N off with a performance and we get a decent game in Gay Paree.
                      Ah the English shot them selves in the foot. The welsh game was a great performance with a fired up Shaun Edwards. Today was probably a more typical flaky French performance. I thought the dropping of Teddy Thomas was telling of growing issues in the camp. Still doesn’t mean we won’t get whipped next week unfortunately.
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                        He makes odd decisions . Nees a better caddy imo. Would make all the difference
                        What odd decisions did he make today?

Comment

What odd decisions did he make today?
                          Used a driver unnecessarily on the par 5 . With his length 3 wood all day
                          Last edited by Solksjaer!; 08-03-20, 20:06.

Comment

Used a driver necessarily on the par 5 . With his length 3 wood all day
                            Nah. 3wood puts the bunkers in play and it wasnt an awful miss tbf.

Drive all day.

Comment

Nah. 3wood puts the bunkers in play and it wasnt an awful miss tbf.

Drive all day.
                              Well that point n that hole wasn't just my view but that of the commentators . Expros. Etc. Rory can use 3 wood all day around here . The rough is woeful . Dont get why he needs to bomb it every hole. Play smarter . Strong caddy will point that out. He can win the masters without his driver. He's bombing the 3 wood a mile. Dont get it .

Comment

Massive lurker but having being mentally scarred on the shit dump on boards with Corona threads, hat tip to the mainly concise and articulate feed here

Comment

I think if we don't get the red we grind a horrible win. Terrible performance nonetheless. All guns blazing next week if it goes ahead

Comment

Well that point n that hole wasn't just my view but that of the commentators . Expros. Etc. Rory can use 3 wood all day around here . The rough is woeful . Dont get why he needs to bomb it every hole. Play smarter . Strong caddy will point that out. He can win the masters without his driver. He's bombing the 3 wood a mile. Dont get it .
                                    No one this side said that, and there are commentators and expros this side too

He missed that driver but it wasn't a pressure miss. I don't think its a club choice issue in any case. Driver/3wood doesn't matter, when the pressure is on, he crumbles, is my point.

I also don't think any caddy is telling Rory to take his most reliable, and best, club out of his hand. Especially on a par 5, downwind when he is two back.

Comment

No one this side said that, and there are commentators and expros this side too

He missed that driver but it wasn't a pressure miss. I don't think its a club choice issue in any case. Driver/3wood doesn't matter, when the pressure is on, he crumbles, is my point.

I also don't think any caddy is telling Rory to take his most reliable, and best, club out of his hand. Especially on a par 5, downwind when he is two back.
                                      Hmmm. Not sure yer getting it.

Comment

Don't know why I bother.

Comment

Are you punting him every week Theresa? Seems to be a level of emotional investment here that's making you a tad irrational.
                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Ha no. Not at all.

What am I being irrational about?

Comment

The constant mental fragility stuff, it's insane.
                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Opinions eh.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                  Massive lurker but having being mentally scarred on the shit dump on boards with Corona threads, hat tip to the mainly concise and articulate feed here
                                                  The main boards.ie thread has been consistently getting 2500 posts a day, with dozens of other active threads dotted around the forums.
                                                  Incredible stuff when 'internet discussion forums are dead' has long been a belief.
                                                  (Poor signal to noise ratio obviously)

Comment

Still just about enough time left to enter the Cheltenham Tipping Comp but you would want to get your skates on.

Currently 25 runners facing the starter for €1,250. And let's face it, if rounders can win this thing, so can you.

Comment

Some birdie by Bryson.

Last years Bryson doesn't even get a chance at a birdie putt.

Comment

I think the way we as humans interact and communicate has been corroded. It has become more irritated, angry, fearful, blue ticks, us and them, stay away. I think that, the way, information is presented by the media and in turn the way we digest it has meant Corona, has made people become more hysterical than many many many of the other very similar stuff that has come before it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                          The main boards.ie thread has been consistently getting 2500 posts a day, with dozens of other active threads dotted around the forums.
                                                          Incredible stuff when 'internet discussion forums are dead' has long been a belief.
                                                          (Poor signal to noise ratio obviously)
                                                          What's the general consensus over there?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                            Close schools and universities
                                                            Move companies to working from home
                                                            Close pubs, etc for a week
                                                            Shut down public transport for two weeks
                                                            Significantly curtail privately operated international travel
                                                            Engage the army for humanitarian support
                                                            Most of these seem good ideas, but I suspect the 'shut down public transport for two weeks' one couldn't work at all.
                                                            How would hospital staff get to work? Surgeons and doctors probably have cars, but cleaners, porters, kitchen staff etc???
                                                            We are probably going to need a functioning civil service (admin) in the short-term, so again public transport needed. Government depts. are probably the least likely to have w-f-h capability unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                              I think the way we as humans interact and communicate has been corroded. It has become more irritated, angry, fearful, blue ticks, us and them, stay away. I think that, the way, information is presented by the media and in turn the way we digest it has meant Corona, has made people become more hysterical than many many many of the other very similar stuff that has come before it.
                                                              Outside in the real world, the rational world, offline, things havent changed that much IMO. Depends on the bubble you live in I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                It's split into the factions that you'd expect.
                                                                But the 'everything will be fine' side have definitely lost numbers and 'we're doomed' has the upper hand. Plenty of trolls and spoofers as well which makes it a difficult read.

There are a handful of medical personnel who are probably the most interesting to read.

Comment

Most of these seem good ideas, but I suspect the 'shut down public transport for two weeks' one couldn't work at all.
                                                                  How would hospital staff get to work? Surgeons and doctors probably have cars, but cleaners, porters, kitchen staff etc???
                                                                  We are probably going to need a functioning civil service (admin) in the short-term, so again public transport needed. Government depts. are probably the least likely to have w-f-h capability unfortunately.
                                                                  It's part of the shinner plan to get FG to make these decisions that costs thousands of jobs so that they can use it as part of the next election strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                    The constant mental fragility stuff, it's insane.
                                                                    No slight on Theresa but I find that one of the more ridiculous critiques of any professional athlete.

It is a bit a meaningless yet all encompassing critique that holds little weight when looked upon. His dominance overall is incredible but with the driver it's completely scandalous, 1.2 strokes gained last year vs 2nd place on 0.8.

He's comfortably the best golfer in the world the past couple of years. I get the criticism of his major performances but golf is a high variance game, he'll undoubtedly pick up a couple of majors over the next few years.

He's not Tiger but he'll end up a Top 10 golfer ever.

Comment

Guy in Portmarnock was on a ski holiday in northern Italy. Also 50 heads from clontarf with kids on ski holidays in northern Italy last week.

No chance they are going to stop the rapid spread of this without some drastic measures
                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                        By coincidence this video happened to be shown in the course I'm doing a couple of weeks ago:
                                                                        View full lesson: http://ed.ted.com/lessons/david-mccandless-the-beauty-of-data-visualizationDavid McCandless turns complex data sets, like worldwide militar...

If you skip to the 3 min mark, it shows some media panic for various health scares in recent years.
                                                                        I'd be curious where the Coronavirus spike would go in relative terms if included.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                          Guy in Portmarnock was on a ski holiday in northern Italy. Also 50 heads from clontarf with kids on ski holidays in northern Italy last week.

No chance they are going to stop the rapid spread of this without some drastic measures
                                                                          Portmarnock Golf Club has said it will remain open after the Health Service Executive informed the north Co Dublin club on Saturday that a member had been diagnosed with the coronavirus Covid-19.
                                                                          Not even trying.

Portmarnock Golf Club to remain open after member diagnosed with coronavirus

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            Wide and weird range of opinions from conspiracies theories to facts (albeit based on small enough sample sizes).

Im getting closer and closer to wanting to contract it and deal with it while health services have some sort of control on critical cases.

Justs feel we are going to be reactice rather than proactive here which is unforgiveable when we've had a lead time

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                              No slight on Theresa but I find that one of the more ridiculous critiques of any professional athlete.

It is a bit a meaningless yet all encompassing critique that holds little weight when looked upon. His dominance overall is incredible but with the driver it's completely scandalous, 1.2 strokes gained last year vs 2nd place on 0.8.

He's comfortably the best golfer in the world the past couple of years. I get the criticism of his major performances but golf is a high variance game, he'll undoubtedly pick up a couple of majors over the next few years.

He's not Tiger but he'll end up a Top 10 golfer ever.
                                                                              It is ridiculous.

I am a massive Rory fan, I think the only irrational thinking on my part about Rory is how much better I think he is than the field. He blows them away in every part of his game but his putting.

I think he should be getting, 6 or more, wins a year, and be competitive in every major. Some here think that his current level is phenomenal. It's not for him. His putting, when it matters, is awful.

It absolutely could be variance....but I don't think he himself would be running around looking for new putting coaches (even when he was 25th strokes gained putting) if he thought it wasn't an issue.

I don't think his coach would have him working on moving more and thinking less... if it wasn't mental.

I think it's mental. You guys don't.

Comment

It is ridiculous.

I am a massive Rory fan, I think the only irrational thinking on my part about Rory is how much better I think he is than the field. He blows them away in every part of his game but his putting.

I think he should be getting, 6 or more, wins a year, and be competitive in every major. Some here think that his current level is phenomenal. It's not for him. His putting, when it matters, is awful.

It absolutely could be variance....but I don't think he himself would be running around looking for new putting coaches (even when he was 25th strokes gained putting) if he thought it wasn't an issue.

I don't think his coach would have him working on moving more and thinking less... if it wasn't mental.

I think it's mental. You guys don't.
                                                                                I understand the mental aspect but I think people often dismiss the mentality clearly required to put himself in position in the first place.

That ability in and of itself requires incredible mental strength.
                                                                                You never hear praise for his mental ability to repeatedly compete week in week out, 7 Top 5s in 7 outings. Nobody else is that consistent.

Mentality is never a means to praise him, only ever a critique but clearly to operate at that level so consistently, he has incredible mental resilience.

Additionally, I feel that Rory's achievements have clearly stretched far beyond the Arnold Palmer for example. Therefore, I simply dont really buy that he crumbles under the pressure in these situations as these tournaments are largely irrelevant to a guy on his level.
                                                                                The mental fragility for a player of Rory's accomplishments are resigned to majors, tour championship & the Players, everything else is likely prep for the aforementioned, nothing more.

The putting is not where it needs to be at times but I think he's quite consistent with it irrespective of position.
                                                                                To memory he was a Top 25 putter on tour last year and I don't recall a major gap mentioned between his 1st 3 rounds and his final round.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                  Real le creuset or just copies ?
                                                                                  Genuine article, 4.2 litre size, €139.

Comment

...
                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I understand the mental aspect but I think people often dismiss the mentality clearly required to put himself in position in the first place.

You never hear praise for his mental ability to repeatedly compete week in week out, 7 Top 5s in 7 outings. Nobody else is that consistent.

Mentality is never a means to praise him, only ever a critique but clearly to operate at that level so consistently, he has incredible mental resilience.

Additionally, I feel that Rory's achievements have clearly stretched far beyond the Arnold Palmer for example. Therefore, I simply dont really buy that he crumbles under the pressure in these situations as these tournaments are largely irrelevant to a guy on his level.
                                                                                      The mental fragility for a player of Rory's accomplishments are resigned to majors, tour championship & the Players, everything else is likely prep for the aforementioned, nothing more.

The putting is not where it needs to be at times but I think he's quite consistent with it irrespective of position.
                                                                                      To memory he was a Top 25 putter on tour last year and I don't recall a major gap mentioned between his 1st 3 rounds and his final round.
                                                                                      He has converted 1 1st round lead since 2014 which I thought was interesting. I think his attitude has changed hugely since Portrush and there is more determination than there has been in a few years. He still doesn’t win as much as he should though. He’s so good he should be winning 6 times a year. (Put the house on him for Augusta �� on the way after years of trying)
                                                                                      Last edited by elbows; 08-03-20, 23:05.
                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Barrel of oil just fell from $45 to $30. Carnage! US stocks already tracking another 5% fall for tomorrow. This is gone well beyond a medical thing to a proper global economic crisis.
                                                                                        Nice of them to give a boost to the world, helicopter oil.

Comment

Barrel of oil just fell from $45 to $30. Carnage! US stocks already tracking another 5% fall for tomorrow. This is gone well beyond a medical thing to a proper global economic crisis.
                                                                                          Saudis going all out to upset the russians.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-out-price-war
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

So you think its purely variance that is stopping such a dominant and consistent golfer from getting more wins?

Comment

Corona going to be used to mask the underlying weakness/bubble of markets?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Big oil in big trouble.

Shale away shale away shale away

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                  A great time to be releasing bad news for governments and plcs. Keep an eye out.
                                                                                                  The Russians have invaded while we had our eye off the ball.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Feck so oil is coming down in price just as we get to work from home forever. Fk you again Alanis

Comment

Taxis
                                                                                                      To be fair, while that was clear in my mind I appreciate I didn’t write it.

Taxis is much safer than buses and trains. No more than four - seven people in one place and traceable. Fits with a containment strategy.
                                                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

...

Comment

Just to respond to Murdrum with some content rather than a question.

Agree. It is, it requires incredible focus, concentration and mental strength to get into these position. It also requires the ability to forget adversity easily.

But this is the same for all golfers at that level. They all have incredible mental strength as a baseline to even get to the tour.

If you position is he can't crumble under pressure, because he doesn't care, and so can't be under pressure, then fine.

I think thats incorrect. A PGA tour win is still a PGA tour win.

But let's even assume you are correct:

He still hasn't won a major since 2014 but finished top 10 in 10 of them.
                                                                                                          A great record... no doubt.

but here is what happened where we had a legit chance, and didn't backdoor a Top Ten Finish.

Masters:
                                                                                                          2018, going into final round, in second place, to Reed ... finished T5, 6 shots back.
                                                                                                          2016 was leading through 2 rounds, nowhere round 3, finished T10.

The US Open:
                                                                                                          2019 - 5 shots back going into final found, T6, finished T9, 8 shots back.

The Open:
                                                                                                          2018 - 2 shots back, T6 (one back from eventual winner), finished T2 2 shots back.

Percentage wise, he has missed the cut in 5 of the 19 majors since his last win (he didn't play the 2015 Open)

Thats way higher than his reg PGA missed cut % too, which is 18% over the same span.

So the argument that only majors matter doesn't hold water in either results or efforts for such a dominant player.

Obv given the small sample of 19 majors its fair to question those stats, but you brought that up.

And a prime example of him crumbling under pressure was The Open last year, first tee day 1, and approach to 18 on day 2.

He was bang on 25th, which was actually ok... he had a record year.

But he then decided it wasn't good enough and brought on Faxon this year. Faxon a massive disciple of the mental games foremost author, Bob Rotella.

Outside of all that here is what I believe:

Rory is a bad putter from 8-12ft.
                                                                                                          Rory is an exceptionally bad putter, when the shot means something, from 8-12ft.
                                                                                                          Rory pulls his drives/irons when he is under pressure.

Watch out for this, in good faith, keep an eye out for it.

In the same way a pro golfer will make more par putts than birdie putts of the same length due to pressure/importance of shot. I believe this carries into more of Rorys putting strokes.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Theresa; 09-03-20, 00:52.

Comment

I'd say any country in Europe / US coming out breakeven on the year will have done good.

Needless to say, we're all fcked if this happens (unlikely) in Italy as they're already about 130% debt/GDP and they're a central eurozone member.

Edit: not sure if the tweet is showing. It was a rumour that a sell-side major broker was going to change their GDP forecast for Italy for this year to minus 20%.

US is already borrowing a trillion a year in the good times, who knows what it might be now. And precisely which country is going to have the spare cash to lend them all their borrowing requirements.

Good luck to Irish Corp tax receipts too. Although we're a bit insulated due to them being primarily pharma and tech Corp taxes.

We may need Raoul to revive the League of Fuckedness.
                                                                                                            Thing is, a recession is now inevitable imo. On that side we may as well take the full hit so that we at least save lives. Rather than killing people to avoid an economic hit that will just be worse and more prolonged.
                                                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I'd say any country in Europe / US coming out breakeven on the year will have done good.

Needless to say, we're all fcked if this happens (unlikely) in Italy as they're already about 130% debt/GDP and they're a central eurozone member.

Edit: not sure if the tweet is showing. It was a rumour that a sell-side major broker was going to change their GDP forecast for Italy for this year to minus 20%.

US is already borrowing a trillion a year in the good times, who knows what it might be now. And precisely which country is going to have the spare cash to lend them all their borrowing requirements.

Good luck to Irish Corp tax receipts too. Although we're a bit insulated due to them being primarily pharma and tech Corp taxes.

We may need Raoul to revive the League of Fuckedness.
                                                                                                                I'll let you be the doomster this time. I'm in the 'it'll all be grand' camp.

Moving as much spare cash into my trading account as I can. Going to get the house renovation out of this once zuutroy finds the cure.

Comment

€1,300 in the Tipping Comp kitty. Use that as seed money to get in on the inevitable market upswing under President Trump once he defeats this pesky hoax virus single-handed.

Or you'll be dead. In which case, go out with a bang.

Comment

He was bang on 25th, which was actually ok... he had a record year.

But he then decided it wasn't good enough and brought on Faxon this year. Faxon a massive disciple of the mental games foremost author, Bob Rotella.

Outside of all that here is what I believe:

Rory is a bad putter from 8-12ft.
                                                                                                                    Rory is an exceptionally bad putter, when the shot means something, from 8-12ft.
                                                                                                                    Rory pulls his drives/irons when he is under pressure.

Watch out for this, in good faith, keep an eye out for it.

In the same way a pro golfer will make more par putts than birdie putts of the same length due to pressure/importance of shot. I believe this carries into more of Rorys putting strokes.
                                                                                                                    Perhaps some confusion, just to be sure, I think anything outside of the majors and maybe tour champ/players, events hold little prestige for him so I don't think he suffers from the same pressure.
                                                                                                                    The differences in the pressure between the two may in part lead to the discrepancy in stats between majors and standard events. I do think simple variance has a major part to play, a part bigger than most give credit to.
                                                                                                                    I totally agree that some performances such as The Open & Masters showed up some mental lapses. The 1st at Portrush the most salient example.

Overall, my position on Rory is that his performances are viewed through the prism that he is supremely talented over and above the field.
                                                                                                                    That is simply something I don't adhere to, I think he is the most talented on tour(w/o Tiger) but I don't believe the gap in talent is quite as big as people like to think.

Similarly in good faith, my very subjective opinion is; I think the superiority in Driving creates a cognitive bias that he is so much more talented than everyone else.
                                                                                                                    Players, commentators, fans all place unjust weighting on the spectacle of Driving, believing that because he has mastered the Driver in a manner never seen before, clearly he has the ability to dominate every other facet in a similar way.

I believe that Driving is arguably the most important facet in the modern game which is why he is so highly ranked but dominance with it does not mean everything else should be equally as dominant.
                                                                                                                    Given he often fails to meet those lofty heights with wedges/irons/putter, the immediate reaction is;"It must be mental, what else could it be? He crushes the driver so he should be crushing everything else."

I read the Rotella book a few weeks ago, it hasn't helped me, but I remember Faxon being mentioned quite a lot.

Comment

I'll let you be the doomster this time. I'm in the 'it'll all be grand' camp.

Moving as much spare cash into my trading account as I can. Going to get the house renovation out of this once zuutroy finds the cure.
                                                                                                                      Medical doctor > biotechnologist > physicist when it comes to being actually useful. Not sure how far down the list you have to go for economic doctor

Was gonna sell the whole lot of my shares this morning. Thinking twice now that everyone seems to have had the same idea. Reckon DJI will go below 20,000 though before it turns around.

Comment

Interesting opinion by Rory from last year in relation to Caddys. I reckon he will rethink some day.

Rory McIlroy has little interest in following Jason Day’s example and teaming up with a so-called superstar caddie.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X