Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 05-09-17, 11:15   #21
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Step 1.7: Complete the Data Scientist with Python program on DataCamp.

Read a lot of great things about this. The general view is that its not particularly great for learning from scratch, but if you have a few relevant uni courses under your belt then its excellent for getting the training in and getting you on top of the technicalities.

This is going to take a while. Have only a few spare evenings in August, and September is the start of intensive teaching. The plan though is to get it finished by the end of September.

Also going to pick up this hotly awaited book when the second edition is released at the end of September. Python for Data Analysis. The current edition is pretty much the pandas bible, but its now five years old so way too dated.

After finishing this I should be at an upper-intermediate level in general python and pandas, and maybe somewhere in the middle of the beginning of machine learning.
Skipped this for a bit as August was stupidly busy, and instead did two courses on Udemy on Tableau, the data visualisation software. You can usually pick Udemy courses up for a tenner when they have one of their regular sales. Did an introductory Tableau 10 A-Z and a more advanced course: Tableau 10 Advanced Training.

These courses are excellently delivered as the training is centred around case studies and Tableau is a phenomenal software. Almost to the extent that you would think anyone still using Excel to get information from data is a simpleton of the highest order.

Will move on to the planned DataCamp course next but it will be slow moving due to having to do some proper work.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 11:18   #22
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
After that then it'll be jumping into the famous Stanford Machine Learning course taught by Andrew Ng. Hadn't done this course up to this point as its in MATLAB which is a whole new software to get on top of.

The course strength seems to be in explaining why we're doing all these techniques and how we can choose between the various testing choices.

Then it'll be just getting more and more advanced in the area. At a rough guess then it would be to be at an upper-intermediate level in machine learning by the end of 2017, and some level of decent expertise by the end of the first half of 2018.
Since posting this, Andrew Ng has launched a new four-part course on deep learning set in Python that has the machine learning world all a flutter. Looks excellent. Might do this instead of his standalone course given its fairly clear from the trends that Python is going to rule the world for machine learning even if R is currently the best overall package.
Old 01-10-17, 21:47   #23
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Making progress on the DataCamp 'Data Scientist with Python' track. Its 20 modules, and have six done in September, so will be finished at this rate around mid-November.

DataCamp have come up with something very smart. Very nicely delivered and designed. My path to date was the two intro uni of Toronto python courses followed by three applied data science courses from Michigan U. I'd highly recommend slotting this in the middle between Toronto and Michigan, as Michigan was far too advanced compared to the beginning skillset you would have at this stage.
Thanks From:
Old 01-10-17, 21:50   #24
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

In not quite related news also read two machine learning general books:

The Master Algorithm (how machine learning will save us all)

Weapons of Math Destruction (how machine learning will destroy us all)

Nice to have that bit of a broader perspective on what all that means, but The Master Algorithm despite being interesting, went into way too much detail on the technicalities of the various machine learning choices.
Old 01-10-17, 21:56   #25
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Going to round out the year with a small dive into Excel VBA (got this course on Udemy for a tenner yesterday) and then a deepish dive in R.

My thinking is just to be familiar enough with all the main softwares that are used for some sort of data analysis. Excel VBA is still shockingly popular especially in Europe, so spending 4 hours getting up to speed on the main essence of it seems like a small thing. While R is highly popular in finance coding, even if trends suggest that Python will become the one language to rule them all. Already have Tableau (as noted above), not that thats anything to do with coding; and Stata from my research. So can feel quite assured then that I'm pretty much up to speed on just about every type of base software for data science. (Matlab seems to have been ditched by nearly everyone except academia).
Old 04-11-17, 01:59   #26
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Making progress on the DataCamp 'Data Scientist with Python' track. Its 20 modules, and have six done in September, so will be finished at this rate around mid-November.

DataCamp have come up with something very smart. Very nicely delivered and designed. My path to date was the two intro uni of Toronto python courses followed by three applied data science courses from Michigan U. I'd highly recommend slotting this in the middle between Toronto and Michigan, as Michigan was far too advanced compared to the beginning skillset you would have at this stage.
Ugh. There will be nothing done on this until December. Working so many hours just to stand still at the moment and doing the French driving theory test has eaten up nearly every free hour. Was delaying it week-to-week but decided today it was best just to defer even thinking about doing more courses until December. Then it's nine glorious months of freedom and can hopefully become expert in everything machine learning.
Thanks From:
Old 05-01-18, 09:35   #27
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

So pretty much nothing done on this September-December. Just finished this short Excel VBA course in order to have a flavour of the language.

Kicking it all off again properly starting next week. Quite content with the 2017 progress though.
Old 05-01-18, 10:42   #28
brady23

Quote:
So pretty much nothing done on this September-December. Just finished this short Excel VBA course in order to have a flavour of the language.

Kicking it all off again properly starting next week. Quite content with the 2017 progress though.
That's good timing.

I literally popped in to check whether you recommended any VBA course as I need it for the modelling class and I have no experience with it.
I was told that because I can write SQL I should pick it up relatively quick but I'm not sure how true that is.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 11:20   #29
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
That's good timing.

I literally popped in to check whether you recommended any VBA course as I need it for the modelling class and I have no experience with it.
I was told that because I can write SQL I should pick it up relatively quick but I'm not sure how true that is.
It's actually very straightforward. That course gives all the basics, but you would need something extra to actually apply it in a finance context. A surprisingly nice language, given its Microsoft.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs