Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old Yesterday, 23:05   #63681
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatman View Post
Debating the LC as it stands is all well and good, but what do you say to someone in fifth year, who is smart, but thinks the LC is not worthwhile, as many of you suggest?
That you'll give them a tenner a point.
Old Yesterday, 23:16   #63682
Wombatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
That you'll give them a tenner a point.
Would be more inclined to associate a defined payout with going above a specific target, say 450 points. Shelling out 3K on an average LC would feel like a bad investment.
Old Yesterday, 23:19   #63683
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayroo View Post
Philosophy. That's how you teach critical thinking. Teach basic logic. Let students discuss the basic philosophical issues. Let them critically assess ideas once armed with the tools that philosophy gives you.
I'm not so sure. Philosophy is boring (if worthy) and far too complex to do justice to at a young age.

Teach kids things like fabtech instead of mechanical engineering. Use almost exclusively only case studies to teach business, economics, and accounting. Gamify and personalise maths a bit as every learns that at different speeds. Fuck Shakespeare in the bin in English class and give kids a list of 100 books and let them pick what suits them - then don't analyse every sentence of it. Teach foreign languages in emersion settings - like make the entire language of the school obligatory French for two weeks every few months rather than silly 40 minute lessons. Have sprint design sessions where students work together in teams to build new apps. Don't teach them Microsoft Word in painful detail in computer class. Every person in the world has worked out how to use Word all by themselves. Stop wasting kids time because teachers got a qualification at the age of 21 and think that's enough to have them teaching for the next 50 years.

I should point out that France is woeful at all this stuff. The schooling system was set up by Napolean to prepare future officers and hasn't deviated much ever since. Universities are even worse, largely consisting of professors shouting formulas at students and no interaction. People pay €10k a year to go to business schools rather than free uni as theyve worked out how ill suited unis are for a proper career.
Old Yesterday, 23:24   #63684
RichieM

Quote:
Debating the LC as it stands is all well and good, but what do you say to someone in fifth year, who is smart, but thinks the LC is not worthwhile, as many of you suggest?
If you don’t go to university you will have to live at home for ever and when you turn 19 myself and your mum are going to stop keeping it down in the bedroom.

Seriously tho for any smart kid they will understand that a good leaving cert allows choices for what they study and a poor one means they will struggle to get into a course that interests them

Last edited by RichieM; Yesterday at 23:26.
RichieM is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 23:27   #63685
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Thumbs down

Quote:
Would be more inclined to associate a defined payout with going above a specific target, say 450 points. Shelling out 3K on an average LC would feel like a bad investment.
Depending on how much disposable cash you have you could have levels:

1.Minimum good - 400 points = €2,000
2.Well done my boy - 450 points = €4,000
3. You got your brains from my side of the family - 500 points = €8,000

The advantage of different levels is if the kid works out they can't get a high level they won't give up, they still have incentives to get the minimum level.

Also promise them they'll get the cash within one week on getting the results and they don't need to use it for uni expenses. Makes it more tangible and gets the imagination going.

Maybe add a prepayment of bonus (20% or so) subject to mock scores to get a more immediate hook in.

Guessing 5th year is last year? Have forgotten. If not then there would need to be other milestone pre-payments as a promise of payment 18 months in the future is too far away.
Old Yesterday, 23:30   #63686
Kayroo
Pedantophile
Tetris Champion, Asteroids Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
I'm not so sure. Philosophy is boring (if worthy) and far too complex to do justice to at a young age.
I'm not suggesting they study Plato and realism.

Teach them logic. Teach them to spot fallacies. How to build an argument. Math starts in logic. Tie it in. Computer programming is based in logic. Logic isn't boring if you do it right. Nothing is boring if done right. Even economics.
Old Yesterday, 23:39   #63687
The Situation
Champ Champ

Fuck me, I wish I had Strewel or Hitch as parents growing up

My post leaving cert appraisal was well done now go out and get a job to pay for college.
Old Yesterday, 23:42   #63688
RichieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Depending on how much disposable cash you have you could have levels:

1.Minimum good - 400 points = €2,000
2.Well done my boy - 450 points = €4,000
3. You got your brains from my side of the family - 500 points = €8,000

The advantage of different levels is if the kid works out they can't get a high level they won't give up, they still have incentives to get the minimum level.

Also promise them they'll get the cash within one week on getting the results and they don't need to use it for uni expenses. Makes it more tangible and gets the imagination going.

Maybe add a prepayment of bonus (20% or so) subject to mock scores to get a more immediate hook in.

Guessing 5th year is last year? Have forgotten. If not then there would need to be other milestone pre-payments as a promise of payment 18 months in the future is too far away.
Not sure 18 year old me would have been very smart 1.5k a few weeks before my leaving cert.
RichieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:51   #63689
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayroo View Post
I'm not suggesting they study Plato and realism.

Teach them logic. Teach them to spot fallacies. How to build an argument. Math starts in logic. Tie it in. Computer programming is based in logic. Logic isn't boring if you do it right. Nothing is boring if done right. Even economics.
I feel you think those last two words were intended at me I don't touch economics with a bargepole, it's a woeful subject. It's all psychology of finance here, not a graph in sight.
Old Yesterday, 23:59   #63690
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Went to book a cardiologist appointment due to a worryingly low heart rate (falls to 33bpm at nighttime if my watch is correct - that seems far too low? although I'm on beta blockers so maybe that's the reason.). There's an app here where you get access to all medics calendars and can book an appointment directly through that. Genius in its simplicity as no messing with telephone calls and trying to see who has availability - all medical records now stored electronically subject to you giving permission each time, so no need to stick with any medic in particular. Anyway, seems they've rolled out an option of video consultations across most medics now. So you can have your consultation from the comfort of work. Sweet as fck as you normally lose a half-day with all the messing around with appointments. Lord hail the tech progress kings.

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; Today at 00:03.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 23:59   #63691
Theresa
lwaysone

Quote:
"Whats your alternative?"
Old Today, 02:35   #63692
Elshambles
Wierdo

Which one really happened?

Elshambles is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker