Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 23:05   #63681
Strewelpeter
Member
 
Strewelpeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: I Won
Posts: 22,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatman View Post
Debating the LC as it stands is all well and good, but what do you say to someone in fifth year, who is smart, but thinks the LC is not worthwhile, as many of you suggest?
That you'll give them a tenner a point.
__________________
Turning millions into thousands
Strewelpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:16   #63682
Wombatman
Member
 
Wombatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: #615 on the 6th floor of the Cahuenga Building
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
That you'll give them a tenner a point.
Would be more inclined to associate a defined payout with going above a specific target, say 450 points. Shelling out 3K on an average LC would feel like a bad investment.
__________________
Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:19   #63683
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 30,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayroo View Post
Philosophy. That's how you teach critical thinking. Teach basic logic. Let students discuss the basic philosophical issues. Let them critically assess ideas once armed with the tools that philosophy gives you.
I'm not so sure. Philosophy is boring (if worthy) and far too complex to do justice to at a young age.

Teach kids things like fabtech instead of mechanical engineering. Use almost exclusively only case studies to teach business, economics, and accounting. Gamify and personalise maths a bit as every learns that at different speeds. Fuck Shakespeare in the bin in English class and give kids a list of 100 books and let them pick what suits them - then don't analyse every sentence of it. Teach foreign languages in emersion settings - like make the entire language of the school obligatory French for two weeks every few months rather than silly 40 minute lessons. Have sprint design sessions where students work together in teams to build new apps. Don't teach them Microsoft Word in painful detail in computer class. Every person in the world has worked out how to use Word all by themselves. Stop wasting kids time because teachers got a qualification at the age of 21 and think that's enough to have them teaching for the next 50 years.

I should point out that France is woeful at all this stuff. The schooling system was set up by Napolean to prepare future officers and hasn't deviated much ever since. Universities are even worse, largely consisting of professors shouting formulas at students and no interaction. People pay €10k a year to go to business schools rather than free uni as theyve worked out how ill suited unis are for a proper career.
__________________
"Really enjoying Hitch of late, always felt his mental side was fairly controlled and actorly but there's an unpredictable and sloppy edge recently" - Sitch
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:24   #63684
RichieM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatman View Post
Debating the LC as it stands is all well and good, but what do you say to someone in fifth year, who is smart, but thinks the LC is not worthwhile, as many of you suggest?
If you don’t go to university you will have to live at home for ever and when you turn 19 myself and your mum are going to stop keeping it down in the bedroom.

Seriously tho for any smart kid they will understand that a good leaving cert allows choices for what they study and a poor one means they will struggle to get into a course that interests them

Last edited by RichieM; Yesterday at 23:26.
RichieM is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 23:27   #63685
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 30,430
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatman View Post
Would be more inclined to associate a defined payout with going above a specific target, say 450 points. Shelling out 3K on an average LC would feel like a bad investment.
Depending on how much disposable cash you have you could have levels:

1.Minimum good - 400 points = €2,000
2.Well done my boy - 450 points = €4,000
3. You got your brains from my side of the family - 500 points = €8,000

The advantage of different levels is if the kid works out they can't get a high level they won't give up, they still have incentives to get the minimum level.

Also promise them they'll get the cash within one week on getting the results and they don't need to use it for uni expenses. Makes it more tangible and gets the imagination going.

Maybe add a prepayment of bonus (20% or so) subject to mock scores to get a more immediate hook in.

Guessing 5th year is last year? Have forgotten. If not then there would need to be other milestone pre-payments as a promise of payment 18 months in the future is too far away.
__________________
"Really enjoying Hitch of late, always felt his mental side was fairly controlled and actorly but there's an unpredictable and sloppy edge recently" - Sitch
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 23:30   #63686
Kayroo
Pedantophile
Tetris Champion, Asteroids Champion
 
Kayroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
I'm not so sure. Philosophy is boring (if worthy) and far too complex to do justice to at a young age.
.
I'm not suggesting they study Plato and realism.

Teach them logic. Teach them to spot fallacies. How to build an argument. Math starts in logic. Tie it in. Computer programming is based in logic. Logic isn't boring if you do it right. Nothing is boring if done right. Even economics.
__________________
You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011
Kayroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:39   #63687
The Situation
Champ Champ
 
The Situation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Waiting for the cabs to arrive
Posts: 10,768
Fuck me, I wish I had Strewel or Hitch as parents growing up

My post leaving cert appraisal was well done now go out and get a job to pay for college.
__________________
Profit before people.
The Situation is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 23:42   #63688
RichieM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Depending on how much disposable cash you have you could have levels:

1.Minimum good - 400 points = €2,000
2.Well done my boy - 450 points = €4,000
3. You got your brains from my side of the family - 500 points = €8,000

The advantage of different levels is if the kid works out they can't get a high level they won't give up, they still have incentives to get the minimum level.

Also promise them they'll get the cash within one week on getting the results and they don't need to use it for uni expenses. Makes it more tangible and gets the imagination going.

Maybe add a prepayment of bonus (20% or so) subject to mock scores to get a more immediate hook in.

Guessing 5th year is last year? Have forgotten. If not then there would need to be other milestone pre-payments as a promise of payment 18 months in the future is too far away.
Not sure 18 year old me would have been very smart 1.5k a few weeks before my leaving cert.
RichieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:51   #63689
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 30,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayroo View Post
I'm not suggesting they study Plato and realism.

Teach them logic. Teach them to spot fallacies. How to build an argument. Math starts in logic. Tie it in. Computer programming is based in logic. Logic isn't boring if you do it right. Nothing is boring if done right. Even economics.
I feel you think those last two words were intended at me I don't touch economics with a bargepole, it's a woeful subject. It's all psychology of finance here, not a graph in sight.
__________________
"Really enjoying Hitch of late, always felt his mental side was fairly controlled and actorly but there's an unpredictable and sloppy edge recently" - Sitch
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:59   #63690
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart
 
Hitchhiker's Guide To...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Cidre
Posts: 30,430
Went to book a cardiologist appointment due to a worryingly low heart rate (falls to 33bpm at nighttime if my watch is correct - that seems far too low? although I'm on beta blockers so maybe that's the reason.). There's an app here where you get access to all medics calendars and can book an appointment directly through that. Genius in its simplicity as no messing with telephone calls and trying to see who has availability - all medical records now stored electronically subject to you giving permission each time, so no need to stick with any medic in particular. Anyway, seems they've rolled out an option of video consultations across most medics now. So you can have your consultation from the comfort of work. Sweet as fck as you normally lose a half-day with all the messing around with appointments. Lord hail the tech progress kings.
__________________
"Really enjoying Hitch of late, always felt his mental side was fairly controlled and actorly but there's an unpredictable and sloppy edge recently" - Sitch

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; Today at 00:03.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 23:59   #63691
Theresa
lwaysone
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatman View Post
Debating the LC as it stands is all well and good, but what do you say to someone in fifth year, who is smart, but thinks the LC is not worthwhile, as many of you suggest?
"Whats your alternative?"
__________________
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity."
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old Today, 02:35   #63692
Elshambles
Wierdo
 
Elshambles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Turning on ALL the taps
Posts: 8,341
Which one really happened?

Elshambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Bookmarks

Tags
#paleo, bad for you, bread, misunderstoodcompliments

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:28.