This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    I called there to book it but they are closed - I will email and say we are 3 and that we are looking for more ppl. If they haven't sold it already then they will likely snap our arm off.

I cc'c you both on the email.
    You've found a fourth. Hopefully reach a quota by Fri...

Comment

...and a fifth, a mystery special guest most of you know

Comment

All done, table is reserved now - 6.45pm - 7pm in the bar in The Gresham as a rendezvous before heading over?
        May as well stick with the tried & tested! Look forward to it.

Comment

Can anyone suggest a good place for schmoozing a client for lunch in Dublin.
          Don't want to go too overboard as the guy is a tightass and might equate the lunch to my fees being too high. Also don't want to underimpress. I'm really at a loss here where to go.

Shanaghans is out as I would never like to associate such a fine establishment with this particular client. Somewhere where we could chat in private is essential where the staff won't pressure you into leaving directly after service..

Comment

Heading to Lock's on Saturday with a wedding present voucher. Haven't been out for nice grub in a while so looking forward to it.

Comment

Perfect and central. Cheers GAB.

Comment

10/10 for cross marketing. Review expected in Each Way Good Thing thread.

Comment

I am backing Spirit Quartz in the 3.40 York, 16/1 EW, to pay for dinner tonight. €10 EW pays for dinner.
                  Paddypower will only let me put €3.75 e/w on this. If this a thinly veiled brag??? Unbelievable.
                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                    Paddypower will only let me put €3.75 e/w on this. If this a thinly veiled brag??? Unbelievable.
                    still 16s @ bet victor. they'll probably let u have a proper bet

edit: just noticed place terms worse @ BV 1-2-3 1/5
                    Last edited by kpnuts; 23-08-13, 13:58. Reason: place terms

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                      Heading to Lock's on Saturday with a wedding present voucher. Haven't been out for nice grub in a while so looking forward to it.
                      Have to give this a Meh-chelin Star. Very disappointing. Completes my tour of Dublin's one star places and was by far the most underwhelming.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Kimchi
                        Price: €€

It was a lazy Saturday afternoon when I got a whatsapp message asking if herself and I fancied heading out for some food later that day.
                        Sounded good to me and my only request was that it's somewhere different, that I normally wouldn't go. Deal done!

The friend in question is a funny, furry little man. A graduate of classics who did a masters in Roman civilization in Amsterdam and seemingly the only thing he got out of it was a renewed appreciation for Cannabaceae and a delightful young Dutch girlfriend.
                        He now works in the HR department of the Civil service, very fitting indeed, but he is great for bringing you to interesting spots.

On this occasion he choose a Korean eatery connected to the hophouse on Parnell St.

Upon entering, I was immediately struck with the amount of ethnic individuals in the place, it certainly had the air of an authentic Korean restaurant (whatever that is.) Those who weren't Asian, were certainly of the hipster/alternative variety, with a lot of scruffy facial hair on display.

We had booked in for four @ 8pm, but they were more than happy to oblige a straggler friend who completed the party. We were seated immediately, but the booking was probably necessary as the place was certainly full.

We started off proceedings with a shared bottle of plum wine and Cass Korean beer all round, while perusing the menu.

I was quite impressed with the plum wine, it had a distinct taste of marzipan, and while it was sweet, it was enjoyable. The Cass beer was standard, seemed very carbonated with no distinctive taste of note - wouldn't be buying it in an off-licence.

For starter I got the Chicken Mandu (Chicken & Veg dumplings) while chicken wings were ordered for the table, I shared out the dumplings upon arriving, and they were pleasant, with soft/wet outer shell and tasty mix internally. Good without being great.
                        The wings were nice, good quality chicken and had a taste of franks hot sauce. Not really in keeping with the Korean theme I thought, but tasted good none the less - next time I'll probably go for something more traditional, but you can't complain with good chicken wings.

For main, my friend heavily recommended the Bulgogl, it was the most popular dish, and according to the menu was thin slices of beef marinated in soy sauce and served with various side dishs.
                        I dove in and ordered and much to my dismay, three of the other four ordered the same. This is a bete noir of mine, especially when eating in an interesting/strange place like this, but anyway.

When the Bulgogl arrived, it did not look like the most appetising of dish's. It had a look of soggy minced meat, with side orders of sticky rice, pickled cucumber, pickled onion, and cold sauteed potatoes (seemingly cold on purpose).
                        While it did not look good, it certainly tasted a lot better and it was inside me in record time, much to the amusement of our server and my dinner companions - I didn't realise I was eating quickly at all.
                        It wasn't a mesmorising meal, but it certainly was tasty.

We finished off with another bottle of plum wine and ventured off into the night.

Service was excellent, food was good, atmosphere was very good and the price was very reasonable coming in at around €25 per person all in.

Probably not the most impressive of places for a first date, but an interesting place if you're looking for something different.

It's good for what it is 4/5
                        Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                          Restaurant Name: Chapter One

Price Range: €€€€€€€€€€€€€ (yes, thirteen)

Review: Gimmeabreak managed to secure a Chef's Table spot for last Thursday and duly sought IPB diners to share the experience with him. WP GAB.....

blah blah
                          Erase and rewind forward about a year and a half. Similar crew, same destination, same G&Ts in the same Gresham. Same barman.

I'm not reviewing the place again but it is worth noting that the menu has definitely taken a step forward in terms of adventurousness. A tapioca dish with black garlic was definitely a risk taken by the kitchen (we got a full lecture from the head chef on the provenance of black garlic) and, although I don't like the texture of tapioca, the subtlety of the flavour was incredible. The two other standout dishes were a 'salted cherry and tomato salad' and a Connemara lamb offering. The salad was another risky effort on paper yet may well have been the highlight of the entire evening and the lamb, including sweetbreads, was off the charts.

The sommelier is still a workshy bollox but we were wise to his moves this time and roared at him every time he came near.

Still 9/10 and the best food in Ireland, bar none. Pushing the envelope a bit more too which is nice to see.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Restaurant Name: The Hot Stove Restaurant
                            Price: €€€

I got summonsed here last night by the old pair to belatedly celebrate my birthday with the family.

My mother is keen on her restaurant reviews, and had heard good things about this place - it was the real deal supposedly.
                            Setup by a former employee of Chapter One (actually it turns out she worked in two michelin star restaurants called chapter one, our own one and an english one that had no connection), the restaurant is situated under the INTO building, up the road from the Rotunda maternity hospital - somewhat fittingly, given the occasion, the first place that I had seen in my life.

I arrived with my other half shortly after seven fifteen as the old fella suggested having a drink in the bar before the off at eight o'clock.
                            When I walked down the stairs and had a peek in, I thought I was looking into a well decorated dining room of a high end retirement club - the average age of the clientele was distinctly 60+ (No offense to the elder statesmen among you)

We sat down on a comfy couch at the small bar away from the dining room and ordered a drink - a rather nice Italian pinot grigio for herself, but I fancied a beer. Unfortunately the choice was sparse, Guinness or Carlsberg on tap, or a bottle of budweiser or a gluten free estelle beer. I went for the gluten free one out of curiosity, but in hindsight it was a mistake. It was a bland, tasteless larger, and what made it worse was that it was served in a warm glass, taken straight out of the dishwasher (a pet peeve of mine!).
                            By 7.50 the rest of the party had still not arrived, no real surprise there, so we ordered a bottle of the pinot grigio while we were waiting.

Shortly after eight our dinnermates arrived and we went into the dining room to sit down. The menu was interesting and inviting (a good bit different to the sample menu currently displayed on the website).

To begin I ordered a quail wellington dish (I shall explain in due course) and a roast hake with prawn risotto for main course.
                            I wish I could remember what others went with, but my memory is not what it once was.

Shortly after we ordered, our waiter brought out a delightful amuse-bouche, it was a mini tea cup of mushroom soup with a ham hock tortolini and pee foam - it was delicious and a great way to start the meal. I am a fan amuse-bouche, I feel it gives a touch of class to any restaurant.

The started was very nice, it was nice and tender meat wrapped in a soft pastry and served on bed of mushrooms. Very good. No complaints came from any of our companions.

The main was slightly disappointing as the hake seemed to be overdone and was distinctly lacking in moistness. The sweet risotto accompanying it to one side on the other hand was a revelation, with three juicy prawns sitting pretty on top of it, I could have done without the hake and devoured a plateful of the risotto and prawn medley.

My brother had a lovely trio of lamb; Braised; Chop and roasted - I tasted some of the braised shoulder and it was melt in the mouth tender, very good!

My father and girlfriend had a sirloin steak, which was adequate without being spectacular, while my mother and brother's other half had salmon which received positive reviews.

All and all it was a positive experience, some great elements but also some disappointing ones - my glass was left empty for far too long, while we had an unopened bottle of wine sitting in the ice bucket next to our table.

I would go back, but I'm not thinking about it all today, it still has plenty of room for improvement, both inside and outside of the kitchen.

3/5

Comment

Luke Im really not sure if your reviews are parody or serious.

"my memory is not what it once was"- get up the yard.
                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                Luke Im really not sure if your reviews are parody or serious.

"my memory is not what it once was"- get up the yard.
                                After a few bottles of wine my memory and observational skills start to suffer - it's a fairly common thing!

Comment

Heading to MacNean House & Restaurant in a couple of weeks as part of my new venture. I don't think a review has been done for it? I see Neven Maguire mentioned etc but not a review of his place in Cavan.

I am currently training in Killybegs as a professional chef and we go out to various places to sample the menu and see the kitchens.

Solis Castle is the first place we are going to.

Comment

Lough Eske is a fabulous hotel,stayed there when my bro got married in Harveys point and have revisited a few times when time and budget allowed. Trip reports on your kitchen visits please,would be v interesting to get a back of house perspective on places.
                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                      Lough Eske is a fabulous hotel,stayed there when my bro got married in Harveys point and have revisited a few times when time and budget allowed. Trip reports on your kitchen visits please,would be v interesting to get a back of house perspective on places.
                                      Those two places are for the first semester, we have to come up with ideas for the second semester. If anyone has suggestions on places we could go to.

One of the girls on the course has worked for 4 years for Neven Maguire, says it is a brilliant place to work.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                        Heading to MacNean House & Restaurant in a couple of weeks as part of my new venture. I don't think a review has been done for it? I see Neven Maguire mentioned etc but not a review of his place in Cavan.

I am currently training in Killybegs as a professional chef and we go out to various places to sample the menu and see the kitchens.

http://www.solishotels.com/lougheske...efault-en.html
                                        Being nosey here so tell me to GTFO if you want.

Did you not just finish an IT course? Bit of a change in direction career wise, especially considering the hours will be totally different. Is it something you always considered?

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                          Location: Parnell Square West, Dublin 1

Shortly after we ordered, our waiter brought out a delightful amuse-bouche, it was a mini tea cup of mushroom soup with a ham hock tortolini and pee foam - it was delicious and a great way to start the meal.

3/5
                                          Animals

Comment

http://www.solishotels.com/lougheske...efault-en.html
                                            Have been to MacNean House twice and loved it both times. Went for the 9 course tasting Menu both times and it was fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                              Being nosey here so tell me to GTFO if you want.

Did you not just finish an IT course? Bit of a change in direction career wise, especially considering the hours will be totally different. Is it something you always considered?
                                              I finished the course before my wedding last year. Then waited and waited for this job to be sorted out and got fed up waiting. I have plans for the future and this course is perfect for me. I have always had a love for the kitchen and want to get my papers in it.

I have said many times over the years that I would have loved to be a chef and I worked with a woman who started a course years ago and left to do finance. She wishes she stuck to it.

I am really excited about it.

Comment

I finished the course before my wedding last year. Then waited and waited for this job to be sorted out and got fed up waiting. I have plans for the future and this course is perfect for me. I have always had a love for the kitchen and want to get my papers in it.

I have said many times over the years that I would have loved to be a chef and I worked with a woman who started a course years ago and left to do finance. She wishes she stuck to it.

I am really excited about it.
                                                What's the course you are doing now?
                                                Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                  What's the course you are doing now?
                                                  National Traineeship in professional cheffing.

Comment

Plan B: Get on one of the innumerable cooking contest shows. Win. Profit.

Comment

The very best of luck with it. IPB road trip when you have your own place

Comment

Does anyone know of a nice restaurant in Enniscorthy or somewhere near it?

Comment

L'Ecrivain deal on pigsback (The Dining Room) today. €65 for six course tasting menu for 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                            Depends how close you are looking for, in Enniscorthy the Ferrycarraig is v good. Monart is another great option though I'm not sure if they serve dinner to non residents, presume so. Sha Roe in Carlow is one of the best restaurants in the country imo and is about 20 mins away. Marlyfield house in gorey very nice too but a little expensive.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Bison
                                                              Location: 11 Wellington Quay
                                                              Website: http://www.bisonbar.ie/
                                                              Price: €€

Saturday was a sunny and glorious day and I planned to enjoy it in my skivvies watching sport for the day.
                                                              In what turned up to be a fortuitous event, my missus put a kibosh on that idea and dragged me into town for a wedding fair. I missed the high octane norwich vs villa match and instead got to try about 5 different types of sponge cake and be hustled for bespoke suits from some sweaty english salesmen. Not the best start as I hate cake and it was an air conditioned room so the sweat was off putting. Coupled with that the so called man creche with sport/drinks/food/wifi etc was a portable telly with a few fun sized snickers bars and a non playing dvd of the lions tour. There was no escape.
                                                              Thankfully, the event turned out to be a lot smaller than I anticipated and we beat a hasty retreat to Kehoe's. I felt the sparkings of a plan begin to hatch in my mind and suggested we pub crawl from our current location to georges street for food later. The trick, I've found is in the confidence of delivery. It was 3pm the sun was splitting the stones and I've bluntly presented to my better half that 6 more hours of drinking was the prefect preparation for fine food later on.
                                                              I had an ace up my sleeve however. I'd read about Pitt Bros through a friend of a friend and knowing out mutual love of good BBQ, I felt we would catch that place.
                                                              Sadly, Pitt Bros is only getting off the ground so when we merrily ambled in at 8.20pm (many pints many pubs, great jazz session in the globe btw), they hadnt anticipated the reception and were out of food. Out. Of. Food. on opening night. Shocking stuff altogether. The fact we were offered free ice cream as a recompense was hilarious to our drunken minds but probably not the best idea in the world from a professional viewpoint.
                                                              However, we now could only think of one type of food and somehow I drew Bison out of the depths of memory and we skipped gaily across dame st and through temple bar and up the quays...details of which kinda went like below.
                                                              SPOILER

We found ourselves at Bison at about twenty to 9 and were pretty sure we;d missed the bus. The place was wedged and I could see no restaurant 'area' not to fear, we were moved to the tiniest table in the world and ordered our grub. Fair play to the overworked waitress on delivering our food, apologised, laughed and moved us to a much more manageable table.
                                                              I got the brisket and herself the pulled pork
                                                              each came with 2 sides, I the onion rings and coleslaw, her the chips and I think burnt beans.
                                                              The damage of this came to €25 for the two of us and no word of a lie was probably some of the finest BBQ I've had in many a year. The brisket was pink with a perfect black crust that tasted of heaven, her pulled pork melt in the mouth.
                                                              Each came with accompanying sauces, hers a tangy BBQ and mine a mystery orange mustardy type sauce. Neither of us could finish the vast dishes in front of us and we both agreed to return at a later date. For value for money, this place will be tough to beat. Pitt bros will also get a look in by the lack of prep has sent alarm bells in our heads
                                                              Last edited by DeadParrot; 24-09-13, 16:17.
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                                yes

it's run by the brother of the guy that owns the Fitz

Comment

yes

it's run by the brother of the guy that owns the Fitz
                                                                  made me think of this lol

SPOILER
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                    made me think of this lol

SPOILER
                                                                    it's actually a class place, very idiosyncratic though. Basil Fawlty would feel quite comfortable there.

Comment

it's actually a class place, very idiosyncratic though. Basil Fawlty would feel quite comfortable there.
                                                                      Had to Google that word.

id·i·o·syn·cra·sy (d--sngkr-s)
                                                                      n. pl. id·i·o·syn·cra·sies
                                                                      1. A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.
                                                                      2. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.
                                                                      3. An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug.

I hope you are not referring to number 3
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                        Had to Google that word.

id·i·o·syn·cra·sy (d--sngkr-s)
                                                                        n. pl. id·i·o·syn·cra·sies
                                                                        1. A structural or behavioral characteristic peculiar to an individual or group.
                                                                        2. A physiological or temperamental peculiarity.
                                                                        3. An unusual individual reaction to food or a drug.

I hope you are not referring to number 3
                                                                        It's nice to have my very own stalker. Makes me feel like quite the big shot.

Comment

OP now included up to and including the DeadParri's BBQ adventure in Bison. Also I've now included shrappppppp's earlier review of Monart in Enniscorthy which I scandalously left out previously.

92 reviews up to date, who will bag number 100?

Comment

Michelin stars for two new Irish restaurants including The Lady Helen in Mount Juliet which i reviewed earlier this year.

In other news i'm eating in Restaurant Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles next month. Hoping it lives up to its reputation.

Comment

I see Lock's lost their star. Proper order, was brutal when I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                I see Lock's lost their star. Proper order, was brutal when I was there.
                                                                                The chef who got the star for Locks, Rory Carville, left in July to hook up with Oliver Dunne at the Clarence Hotel. Serious star aspirations there i'd expect.

I wonder how disappointed The Greenhouse is. Surely it was a strong contender?

In other news I ate at the much-hyped Las Tapas de Lola on Wexford St. tonight.

Their specials of Squid ink paella and white chorizo with some sort of herby oil were a right touch of the Mediterranean on a positively balmy early Autumn evening in Dublin.

The spuds and bread were top quality too.

It was really busy so we only had 90 mins at the table but we hadn't booked so that was fine.

The outside table was comfy and afforded a great street view of slow moving traffic, Arthurs Day revellers, a parked motorbike, several shabby push bikes and the odd wide-eyed tourist/student.

€80 got us six dishes, a desert, coffee and a bottle of wine (nearly half the total bill) and we were well satisfied.

For fans of tapas it's well worth a trip if you're in the vicinity and is right beside a casino, turf accountant, adult shop and several excellent public houses. What could go wrong?
                                                                                Last edited by BennyHiFi; 26-09-13, 22:56.

Comment

Oh yea forgot about the Greenhouse. Definitely should have one imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                    Michelin stars for two new Irish restaurants including The Lady Helen in Mount Juliet which i reviewed earlier this year.

In other news i'm eating in Restaurant Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles next month. Hoping it lives up to its reputation.
                                                                                    Campagne is excellent so this can only drive the prices up. They were incredible value the last time we went.

Aldridge Lodge held on to it's Bib Gourmand as well. Personally I'd have Aldridge>Campagne but they are both very reasonable and great dining experiences if anyone is doing a culinary tour of the South East.

Nice to see the Pig's Ear keeping it's standards up as well. The front of house guy is a great man for remembering even the most irregular of clients faces and the service is excellent. The food is always of a consistently good standard but because of it's location people tend to overlook it a little imo.
                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

L'ecrivain emailing to brag about keeping the star. They should have it stripped on the basis of always using Comic Sans in their emails.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                        Campagne is excellent so this can only drive the prices up. They were incredible value the last time we went.
                                                                                        Ate there earlier this year, really liked it. Was doing incredible business from what I could see, this news will make it even more of a destination!

Comment

Just on The Greenhouse, as I underestand it is still owned and operated by the same guys who had the previous establishment, Bleu. Has the head chef changed with the new name? Also, how does it stack up against One Pico?
                                                                                          New Chef (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...ward-1.1506003) and different level of quality to One Pico. Was really impressed when I was there, close between it and Chapter One for best in Ireland IMO

No surprised Locks lost its one, am surprised Aniar kept its one. It was really poor when I was there

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                            The chef who got the star for Locks, Rory Carville, left in July to hook up with Oliver Dunne at the Clarence Hotel. Serious star aspirations there i'd expect.
                                                                                            Also I was in this place, Cleaver East, last week - v nice room, food generally good a bit mixed (Lobster dumplings were excellent, some other stuff less so), reasonable prices but nothing to particularly set it apart

Comment

Got a breast of chicken curry with half boiled rice and half chips in Charlies 3 yesterday evening, it was great. I was fucking starved and would have eaten another.

The handwash container in the gent's bathroom had been ripped off the wall, so I washed my hands in the ladies.

€€€
                                                                                              €€
                                                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Visited here lastnight, and agree with this sentiment. I thought the food was of a very good quality - it's not chapter one standard, but it's not too far off and a price level below (~€100 for 3 courses each+wine). Starters of Oxtail Wellington and Pumpkin&Feta Lasagna were excellent, as was my Lamb main. Hake main was only ok. Desserts both v good. Portions aren't particularly big, worth ordering sides if you're hungry.

But they really let themselves down on service and the overall running of the place. When we were shown to our table, we only got one menu menu, as that was all they had. A few minutes later another arrived. After asking for one, we got a wine list. Ordered food and wine, Amuse Bouches were being taken away when I reminded them we were still waiting on wine. A few minutes later, they come over to ask what we ordered this happened at the table beside ours too. A few minutes later they come back to ask did we want a bottle or a glass, bottle I say. A few minutes later 2 glasses arrive As way of apology, we got 2 glasses free and the bottle arrived after.

It was a struggle to get more water at any stage, we were seated in the corner of the room so no waiters passing by. Similarly, they never refilled wine (white wine kept in a bucket off the table). We were there 3 hours - it was a very leisurely pace

So yeah, potential to be a really good restaurant, but plenty of room for improvement

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                                Location: Parnell Square West, Dublin 1
                                                                                                Website: here

I would go back, but I'm not thinking about it all today, it still has plenty of room for improvement, both inside and outside of the kitchen.

3/5

Comment

Bunsen burger.

Quick one.

This is pretty similar to 5 guys in the states. Menu has 2 burgers on it, cheese or not. You can upgrade to double.

Toppings also simple. Menu is a hipster card

Anyway I was surprised when they asked how I'd like it cooked. They recommended medium but I want for rare, simply it's the nicest burger I've had in awhile. Really simple but it's made from FXB's Black Aberdeen Angus beef.

Comment

do you really believe this?
                                                                                                    Think they would offer rare burgers using cheaper mince?

Comment

Think they would offer rare burgers using cheaper mince?
                                                                                                      the way of getting aroung this is mincing the meat themselves, which means they can 100% guarantee the quality, provenance and consistency. i don't think it has to be FXB black aberdeen angus, just any good quality meat, but at the same time, If they say it's FXB, they'd be pretty stupid not to serve it?

Comment

BTW - when something is over marketed it is time to be sceptical.

Millicano Whole Bean Coffee - its not like there is a half coffee bean industry out there. What else is coffee going to be milled from but whole coffee beans?

Black Aberdeen Angus Beef - I mean ALL Angus is black, they are colloquially known as Black Pollys. "Oh no sir, we are a much more discerning abattoir, we do not allow those red or green Angus cattle in here"
                                                                                                        isn't this just marketing 101?

i agree it's time to be be more discerning but i don't think though you are being sold an inferior product under false pretence, just the same product rebranded.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Picaderos

Location: Maynooth

Website: http://www.picaderos.ie/

Price Range: €€

Review:

Made my second visit here last night. Four of us went for the last available 9.15 slot.
                                                                                                          Atmosphere was good with live music and very pleasant staff. We sat and were quickly brought over the menu's - A La Carte menu and The Tapas menu. While browsing the menu we ordered the drinks. The lads opted for some San Miguel while the Women opted for the House white which they both enjoyed.

For starters we elected The Mixed Mexican Tapas platter (serves two) which consisted of Quesadillas, beef tacos, chicken torilla flutes and some nachos with dips. This was excellent. Some Captain Morgan Ribs which were perfect, the meat slipping right off the bone and some chicken wings.

Onto the mains I went for the "Pollo ‘Ibericó’ Lanzarote" - Stuffed chicken breast fillet with aged manchego cheese & spinach leaves, rolled & wrapped in crispy Jamón Serrano Ibericó with a vine tomato sauce of mixed olives, peppers, onions, capers & a touch of cream on a bed of creamy paprika mashed potato. This combination worked perfect and the presentation as good as the taste. The first time I vised I had the rib eye which was tender and juicy. The others opted for the lamb shank, ‘El Tequito’ Chicken Burger and steak. The mains ranged from 15-25.

A few more drinks were consumed before we got around to ordering desert. The ferrero rocher cheese cake stood out on the menu for me and lived up to my expectations. The others went for Death by chocolate cake and mixed ice cream.

As the clock stroke midnight we realised we were the last customers. Not once were we rushed or thrown some looks.

A great little restaurant with very reasonable prices. Great atmosphere and friendly staff. Would highly recommend and do plan on visiting again some time soon.

WP, 9/10

The damage came to a generous 180 including tip and drinks.

Comment

Any ideas for an Early Bird booking on Saturday evening around D2?

Comment

Just finished my first "fine dining experience" in Waterford castle, gf is the head pastry chef out there so got quite a good deal.
                                                                                                              Have to say it really was really nice, might get around to a proper review during the week but table d'hote at 40e Pp is good

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                                                                Restaurant Name: Picaderos

Location: Maynooth.
                                                                                                                Picaderos is a great restaurant - monkfish with chorizo main is top class imo. Also the white sangria, if out for the night after dinner.

Comment

Not sure if I'll have time for a full review, but four of us went to Cleaver East last Saturday, it was nice enough (the scallops were really good) but nothing to rave about. Much, much better value than the Vintage Cocktail Club we went to afterwards (upon the urging of the womenfolk, I would have much preferred going to the closer Porterhouse), which was jam-packed full of hipsters and was unbelievably expensive for what is was... the owners must chuckle away each night about how easy it is to part hipsters from their money.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Andrew Fairlie @ Gleneagles

Location: Auchterarder, Perthshire, Scotland

Website: http://www.andrewfairlie.co.uk/

Price Range: €€€€€

“It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the fucking Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization.” Renton, Trainspotting

It’s 20+ years since I started visiting Scotland. On 24-hour football trips back in the late 80s I ate hairy chicken wings and pork-less meat pies in a perpetually grim landscape, cold and dark - and that was just Rangers Football Club domination on and off the field.

Fast forward to 2013 and a resurgent nation stands on the brink of independence (perhaps), is independently wealthy (depends who you believe) and Rangers are discredited and now called Sevco or something, playing in the Ramsden’s Batter Burger Cup for pennies (FACT).

As good a totem as any for this progression is chef Andrew Fairlie.

He’s a vocal advocate for Scottish independence and his two Michelin-starred restaurant at Gleneagles Hotel in Auchterarder (his home place, pop. 3,200) has flown the flag for French-inspired treatment of local produce for over a decade.

His restaurant is tucked away in the innards of the hotel and reminded me of a high-end Vegas casino restaurant - no windows, shoehorned into an awkward space.

The muted browns and creams were calming and the Blue Note jazz soundtrack lent an air of relaxed but studied coolness.

There was plenty of space but I, like a number of others, was facing a wall and could only use the mirror to observe the room.

Luckily the company, my wife, was good and the food kept our attention all evening.

Rather than describe each dish (they were so much more complex than the deliberately minimalist descriptions below it would be futile) I’ll suggest that the highlighted ones from the £125 tasting menu with eight £85 matched wines were our faves:

Crab and Salmon Mi-Cuit, Rapeseed Mayonaisse
                                                                                                                    Ballotine of Foie Gras, Poached Pear and Honeyed Yogurt
                                                                                                                    Roasted Dived Scallop and Seabass, Citrus dressing
                                                                                                                    Cepes and Crowdie Gratin, Wild Mushrooms & Truffle Coulis
                                                                                                                    Home Smoked Lobster, Warm Lime & Herb Butter
                                                                                                                    Gartmorn Farm Duck Breast, Spiced Lentils
                                                                                                                    Grand Jura Suisse, Mushroom Ketchup
                                                                                                                    Chocolate Souffle, Vanilla Ice Cream, Salted Caramel
                                                                                                                    Coffee and Chocolates

We had eight 75cl glasses of perfectly matched wine served and described excellently by our somellier.

It was a sublime meal and we both agreed it was serious haute cuisine served with great confidence by friendly staff.

However, there was a significant bug bear.

At £500 inc. tip i left feeling that on the value-o-meter the arrow was firmly pointing to weak.

You pay a premium for the fact that it’s in Gleneagles for sure (it hosts the Ryder Cup next year).

And Fairlie’s cache (inc. cooking for the G8 leaders when the Summit was there in 2005 or 2006) is high and consistent.

We could have gone for a less full on menu but as it's many miles from home and we’re unlikely to be back anytime soon we decided to push the boat out. But £8 for a post-meal Baileys is a downer.

Overall it was a meal to remember. More so than the dinner we’ve had in Patrick Guilbaud for example but I’ll also remember the cost and sitting with my back to the room all night.

That Celtic Scotland is in the ascendency again is palpable and welcome.

I just hope they don't get too greedy and spoil the party.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 26-10-13, 22:08.

Comment

You're getting old mentioning value at a place like that. How good is that cheese?

Comment

You're getting old mentioning value at a place like that
                                                                                                                        Indeed. I realise its a very first world problem:

Man has meal. Meal is great. Man thinks meal cost too much. Nobody cares - not even him that much.

The Grand Jura Suisse was like eating angel-tear fondue on a waterbed the size of a tennis court. On E.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 26-10-13, 21:18.

Comment

Went to Solis Loch Eske on Tuesday for lunch and a look around the hotel. I have to say I was not that impressed with the place as a whole. The Presidential Suite was very dated looking, the bed tiny and the Dining table in the sitting room was so badly marked I was embarrassed for them.

On the way up to the tower there was a stray wine glass sitting on a windowsill.

The hotel itself is stunning, the grounds and the apartments and the stable rooms are lovely but the rooms in the main hotel need updating a bit without over modernising.

There were a series of photos taken by a priest who was on the Titanic that got off at Cobh and took pictures of locals etc. The pictures were brilliant.

The food was ok. Not what I would expect in a 5 star establishment. I had smoked chicken on a bed of mash with veg which was offered to us and it was very nice.

The kitchen was well run, there are a few things I would like to say as I was shocked at it but at the end of the day we were privileged to be in the kitchen and shouldn't slate it. Not what I would have expected from a 5 star hotel...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X