Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Tournament Poker

Old 14-11-12, 22:44   #1
Supersonic

Final Table Deals

I was playing a $5 mtt on PS recently. At the final table the prizemoney ranged from $60 to $700 approx. Someone asked to do a deal when we were down to 8?!?! I laughed it off and played on and thankfully got HU and did a deal then.

It got me thinking. Im playing the Big $11 now, ITM with about 700 left. Final table prizemoney ranges from $600 - $12k.

Lets say for example the final table were all equal stack sizes and all 9 agreed to do a deal, thats approx $4500k each.

Got me thinking whats the highest number of players that you have seen doing a deal at final table and is there any restrictions on how many can actually make a deal?
Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-12, 22:51   #2
mickste

Petty sure there was a 28-30 player chop in one of the fitz cash leagues last year which was ludicrous imo.
mickste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-12, 22:58   #3
Dice75
Bringing the Mac

Remember a poker room opening above the Star Bingo a few years ago with a 120 F/O (10k gtd) on opening night.

About 40 turned up and we hit the FT early enough, all outside for a smoke and someone suggests 1k each so we all just take it without even checking chip stacks and head off ( I knew I was 2nd shortest )
Dice75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-11-12, 22:59   #4
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickste View Post
Petty sure there was a 28-30 player chop in one of the fitz cash leagues last year which was ludicrous imo.
The only difference there is that it's essentially free money. Didn't Luke's old place (sides or something) regularly have 8-10 player chops at the final table?
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-12, 23:00   #5
gra

Have done a deal in a cash league final with like 10 players left, each player agreed to take what they had in front of them, i had like 400 ish so was ok with that, one person had 60, would never deal with that little, gamble it up imo!!!
gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-12, 23:13   #6
KK82

I remember one time I accidentally turned up for the Jackpot cash league final an hour late.. Played for 2 hours, barely playing a hand and someone mentioned a deal.. Was out of the place by 10 o'clock with 1.2k in my pocket for a decent Staurday night on the piss! Think it was a 14 way chop or something.
KK82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-12, 23:19   #7
ghostface
Drunken assault fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushdraw View Post
The only difference there is that it's essentially free money. Didn't Luke's old place (sides or something) regularly have 8-10 player chops at the final table?
I was shamefully involved in this on the FT in Silks one night. Think we 'agreed' to all take 300 and play on. Then ended up chopping the rest of the money 3 handed with 2 other IPBrs me thinks
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-12, 23:39   #8
brady23

I wouldn't be a massive fan of chops but definitely there is a lot of merit to flattening payouts (im sure Flushdraw will have an opinion on), as they are so often so badly structured simply because of how shallow play often becomes on FTs!
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 01:21   #9
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
I wouldn't be a massive fan of chops but definitely there is a lot of merit to flattening payouts (im sure Flushdraw will have an opinion on), as they are so often so badly structured simply because of how shallow play often becomes on FTs!
100% agree with this. I'm not a huge fan of chops unless i'm chip leader and can guarantee myself a decent chunk without the risk, but i'm all for flattening payouts and playing on, especially if it's a big game with a title or some prestige at stake
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 15-11-12, 01:27   #10
Mellor

in the Jackpot league final one year, we were stuck on 10 players for ages. A few regs were pushing to take a few 1000 off the top so that 5th to 10th all got 5th place money (1k) to speed things up.
Not really a 10 way chop but a deal we all had to agree to.
Old 15-11-12, 01:49   #11
MegaSin

Playing a game in the MGM. 80$ rebuy.

4 left I have 8 bigs. CL has about 40 and he asks for a chop where everyone gets 800$ and we filp for 240. I lost the flip as did CL.
MegaSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 01:57   #12
Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSin View Post
Playing a game in the MGM. 80$ rebuy.

4 left I have 8 bigs. CL has about 40 and he asks for a chop where everyone gets 800$ and we filp for 240. I lost the flip as did CL.
If I was CL there Im not splitting for 800 each in a month of Sundays.
Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 01:59   #13
Supersonic

Down to last 52 out of 8000+ here....I might chance my arm if i make FT and ask for 9 way split lol
Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 06:36   #14
kincsem

In the Fitz EOM earlier this year approaching the money people suggested a deal when we got to the break. We agreed but one player was missing so we couldn't finalise it.

Jimmy Wan came back in and someone said "Jimmy we want to do a deal and we suggest ..."
Jimmy "Ok".
kincsem is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 15-11-12, 07:57   #15
mdoug

I LOVE the classic "I'll take the first.place prize and you guys split the rest". Whether it works.or not I do love saying it when chip leader, used to work a lot more years ago but its just unreal explaining to them they all get the money for like 3/4th and we are all happy.
The good old days
mdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 11:10   #16
tglynn

I was playing a student game in galway last year, first was around 350 and a student masters ticket. I had a CL but not by much and I was clearly the better player. Second in chips offers my first place and they would split 2nd and 3rd, i obviously didn't want to seem to eager so I said ya sure. The shorty disagreed so we played on. About 4 hands later I doubled the shorty up to about the same as 2nd leaving me just a few bb's ahead, second once again offers the same deal and this time he takes it!
Old 15-11-12, 11:53   #17
Downtown

Whatever about doing deals, I wish they would implement the method JP has of seeing if players want to deal or pay the bubble. Simple red/black card anonymous vote which must be unanimous.
Nothing worse than having to weigh up the positives of refusing a deal against the potential backlash from disgruntled punters. Was in a fairly decent buy in game in Vegas and talk of paying the bubble came up and not only took ages but caused some rows which had an impact on the game itself. I mentioned to the TD how JP does it and he says something along the lines of "this is America, a democracy, not a communist state like Ireland".
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 12:04   #18
Raoul Duke III
The King

Last deal I did, I got 100% of first place money 4-handed. I did agree to tip the dealers for everyone though, generous soul that I am.
Old 15-11-12, 12:11   #19
jbravado
Not Lost In Translation

Send a message via MSN to jbravado
Id love to have a zero tolerance policy on deal making, Im sure if you knew explicitly that this was how you roll so to speak, it could only be a profitable mindset.
jbravado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-12, 12:13   #20
Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
Whatever about doing deals, I wish they would implement the method JP has of seeing if players want to deal or pay the bubble. Simple red/black card anonymous vote which must be unanimous.
Nothing worse than having to weigh up the positives of refusing a deal against the potential backlash from disgruntled punters. Was in a fairly decent buy in game in Vegas and talk of paying the bubble came up and not only took ages but caused some rows which had an impact on the game itself. I mentioned to the TD how JP does it and he says something along the lines of "this is America, a democracy, not a communist state like Ireland".
It's a great system until someone starts bitching about who they think said no.

also, it's a horrible slowroll when everyone says they'll agree, and when the vote comes someone says no.

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Tournament Poker