Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
    List can't be taken seriously with McG and without Paddy H.
    ...Gotta have Mcilroy on it as well...

Comment

Y'all need to go down a Vulfpeck YouTube rabbit hole..

VULFPECK /// Cory Wongbuy on bandcamp → https://vulfpeck.bandcamp.comCory Wong — guitarJack Stratton — composer, guitar, mixingTheo Katzman — drumsWoody Goss...
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Willie loves the rabbit holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Objectively true Top 10:

BOD
          ROG
          Roy Keane
          Sonia O'Sullivan
          Barry McGuigan
          Ken Doherty
          Conor McGregor
          Padraig Harrington
          Ronnie Delany
          Packie Bonner
          What about ole Stevie Collins?
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...My top 10, although I'm sure I'm missing someone at this time...
            ...BOD, ROG, Roy Keane, Sonia O'Sullivan, Barry McGuigan, Padraig Harrington, Robbie Keane, Rory Mcilroy, Steve Collins, Johnny Giles...
            /QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
              He made Day 5 he means!
              marc 3/3 now gtd a milly

edit: seem to be discussing deal

bust 3rd for a mill gg marc
              Last edited by chips1234; 18-11-18, 02:13.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                ...My top 10, although I'm sure I'm missing someone at this time...
                ...BOD, ROG, Roy Keane, Sonia O'Sullivan, Barry McGuigan, Padraig Harrington, Robbie Keane, Rory Mcilroy, Steve Collins, Johnny Giles...
                /QUOTE]
                Stephen Roche and joey dunlop should be no brainers for that list

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
                  marc 3/3 now gtd a milly

edit: seem to be discussing deal

bust 3rd for a mill gg marc
                  Yeah he made a jack high call for a huge pot, and the guy had the goods. Was left on fumes. Cracking result

Comment

Objectively true Top 10:

BOD
                    ROG
                    Roy Keane
                    Sonia O'Sullivan
                    Barry McGuigan
                    Ken Doherty
                    Conor McGregor
                    Padraig Harrington
                    Ronnie Delany
                    Packie Bonner
                    I understand his persona isn't to everyone's taste but assuming the measurement of an athletes success is being the best in their field, I'd find it objectively difficult not to have McGregor as one of the first names on a top 10 list of Irish athlete's.

People may argue the difference between best athlete opposed to best sportsperson but assuming people are viewing them as the same in this instance, it seems a no-brainer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                      I understand his persona isn't to everyone's taste but assuming the measurement of an athletes success is being the best in their field, I'd find it objectively difficult not to have McGregor as one of the first names on a top 10 list of Irish athlete's.

People may argue the difference between best athlete opposed to best sportsperson but assuming people are viewing them as the same in this instance, it seems a no-brainer to me.
                      I dunno it's still a sport in its relative infancy compared to most on that list. I don't think the likes of Mcilroy or Roy Keane could decide when they were 16 to be a golfer/soccer player and then make it to the top of their trade, you'd need to be at it from a very young age to make it in those sports as the participation level and standards are so high.

While not dismissing Conors achievements, it's far easier at this point to ascend the MMA ranks than a lot of other high profile sports which has to be considered when compiling a list like this.

Multiply that point x 1000 for Katie Taylor.
                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                        I dunno it's still a sport in its relative infancy compared to most on that list. I don't think the likes of Mcilroy or Roy Keane could decide when they were 16 to be a golfer/soccer player and then make it to the top of their trade, you'd need to be at it from a very young age to make it in those sports as the participation level and standards are so high.

While not dismissing Conors achievements, it's far easier at this point to ascend the MMA ranks than a lot of other high profile sports which has to be considered when compiling a list like this.

Multiply that point x 1000 for Katie Taylor.
                        I understand your point and agree that the combination of skills is in its relative infancy but the skills and techniques which make up the overall skillset are not.
                        Its not an entirely new sport, in that, its been designed from the bottom up, the underlying skills are already at an extremely high level.
                        A large proportion of athletes competing at the highest level are world class at elements that have been around since the Olympics began.

Comment

I understand your point and agree that the combination of skills is in its relative infancy but the skills and techniques which make up the overall skillset are not.
                          Its not an entirely new sport, in that, its been designed from the bottom up, the underlying skills are already at an extremely high level.
                          A large proportion of athletes competing at the highest level are world class at elements that have been around since the Olympics began.
                          McGregor s professional record really isn't that great tbh, yes he won the belt in 2 divisions (which is an amazing achievement), but never defended either. I'd say its still too early to say if he should be on that list.

Comment

Conor didn't come from a high class fighting background prior to taking it up though, his rise from when he got serious to when he made it was fairly short by any top class sport standards.

MMA was barely a thing when we were young, kids around the globe were aspiring to be the next Zidane or Federer or Lomu or Woods, very few wanted to be a champion cage fighter.

The popularity compared to relative participation level is now hugely disproportionate, which is attest to how well marketed it is and intriguing a sport it is but you cant go comparing those who are successful at it on the same level as sports were you have to be the best of millions upon millions of participants to make it to the top.
                            Last edited by The Situation; 18-11-18, 09:34.
                            Profit before people.

Comment

Liam Brady anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                McGregor s professional record really isn't that great tbh, yes he won the belt in 2 divisions (which is an amazing achievement), but never defended either. I'd say its still too early to say if he should be on that list.
                                Personally, I think the most compelling argument against McGregor is the one Situation suggested.
                                I'd disagree that it's too early and that his achievements thus far warrant a place on the list especially if you're holding places for some of the people mentioned thus far (even excluding Stockdale).
                                McGregor certainly hasn't been perfect and I'm not much of a fan of his persona but he's achieved enough on a global level to warrant a place imo.

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                Conor didn't come from a high class fighting background prior to taking it up though, his rise from when he got serious to when he made it was fairly short by any top class sport standards.

MMA was barely a thing when we were young, kids around the globe were aspiring to be the next Zidane or Federer or Lomu or Woods, very few wanted to be a champion cage fighter.

The popularity compared to relative participation level is now hugely disproportionate, which is attest to how well marketed it is and intriguing a sport it is but you cant go comparing those who are successful at it on the same level as sports were you have to be the best of millions upon millions of participants to make it to the top.
                                Well if you're getting into disproportionate amounts of participation relative to popularity and their place on any list then rugby has absolutely nowhere to stand.
                                It's participation levels are minuscule even amongst the most populous countries which compete.
                                Small pockets of Oz compete at Union and participation in rugby generally in the UK amongst 16+ year olds, it doesn't even make the Top 10: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...pants-england/
                                Do you honestly think less people globally participate at one or more elements of cage fighting than compete at rugby(union or league)? Rugby has only been professional since 1995
                                Again I understand your point regarding cage fighting as a sport but imo given the underlying skills are at such a high level for so long, the argument is less valid than if it had been an entirely new sport with no foundation.
                                Last edited by Guest; 18-11-18, 10:02.

Comment

Having Roche ahead of Kelly is wrong imo

Can't believe ye forgot the real goat

AP Mccoy.

Comment

Agree with Sitch in this.

Also you can't dismiss McGregor because he's an arsehole. But there's plenty of other stuff you can argue with him. Not sure he's on my top 5. Close anyway. If ruling out people for being arseholes comes into it, then Roy Keane would be gone. But being one of the best midfielders in the world for the best part of a decade and winning everything he could in that span should give him a strong case for number one.

I agree longevity comes into it.

POD still my number one. His career over a 20 year span is so stellar. May have overachieved winning 3 majors but they can't be taken off him. A real champion.

Good shout on AP but is he in?. Not sure why I don't measure Rory in this. He's not Irish I suppose but represented Golf Ireland same as a rugby player from the north represents the IRFU. Maybe it's his refusal (correctly sadly) to state his feelings of his nationality. He's right though. He can't win.

Also, Laz. What's with the Stockdale thing. Neither funny or in anyway correct. You just gargled posting that last night?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                      Having Roche ahead of Kelly is wrong imo

Can't believe ye forgot the real goat

AP Mccoy.
                                      Couldn't decide between roche and Kelly tbh. The tour de France win swung it

Comment

Those top ten lists need more John o Shea. 4 PLs and a champions league

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                          Those top ten lists need more John o Shea. 4 PLs and a champions league
                                          If that's the case Irwin trumps that 7/1 & Ronnie Whelan 6/1

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                            Also, Laz. What's with the Stockdale thing. Neither funny or in anyway correct. You just gargled posting that last night?
                                            Sorry for offending you.

Comment

If an Irish footballer did what Stockdale did last night and during the 6n you would rightly catapult him to your top tens.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                If that's the case Irwin trumps that 7/1 & Ronnie Whelan 6/1
                                                I'll give you Irwin but Whelan won neither

Comment

This is the equivalent of someone over on FPB saying Mbappe is the GOAT.

Comment

George Best, Barry McGuigan, maybe Danny Blanchflower should get a look in too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                      This is the equivalent of someone over on FPB saying Mbappe is the GOAT.
                                                      No one has said that over there yet mate. Still a ways to go!

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                        George Best, Barry McGuigan, maybe Danny Blanchflower should get a look in too.
                                                        You forgot

More Golden Oldies for you Thumbs Up please & Subscribe thank you enjoy. Please post to your friends & Family in your social media and share in the Fun Many...

And McGuigan is one of ours ya chancer

Anyhu, any conversation that doesn't at least mention this gowl isn't worth listening to

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Insane crash

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                  Insane crash

17 year old girl was driving, WTF?

she broke her spine, but is apparently ok!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                    Bagged 270k in the regency poker thing. Got lucky with KK v Aces all in pre, flopped the King. That was up to 250k just after dinner and nothing happened after. 2nd big poker game this year, 2nd time making day 2.

Lol poker.
                                                                    Not quite sluglife levels but bust this tourney. Got my chips in good but poker is a cruel mistress, crack aces yesterday and get dogged today. Cashed for €440. Have had worse Sundays.

Comment

...Very decent Tennis final on BBC at the moment...Djokovic a set and break down to Zverev...
                                                                      ...Edit, Djok breaks back...Edit again, another break this is quality...
                                                                      Last edited by luckforsome; 18-11-18, 19:11.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                          Not quite sluglife levels but bust this tourney. Got my chips in good but poker is a cruel mistress, crack aces yesterday and get dogged today. Cashed for €440. Have had worse Sundays.
                                                                          Thinking about knocking around to Marc's gaff with a football and see if he wants to come out to play.

Comment

Four hours to make slow-roasted ribs and potato gratin, but it's hard to imagine a better winter Sunday evening meal.
                                                                            Two weeks ago I slow cooked brisket for about 8 hours.

It was only alright.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                I honestly cannot tell fact from satire at this stage.
                                                                                SPOILER

The man's a fucking idiot
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Brisket is just dodgy meat. Awful hard to stop it being bone dry at the end. You had it roasting in closed tinfoil in its own juices?
                                                                                  Did it in a casserole dish, followed a Gordon Ramsay YouTube vid. Wasn't dry, just tasted a bit meh.

Should have contacted Ole.

Comment

Roasting rib on the bone tonight. Roasties are in now.

Roast potatos are the real main event.

Comment

Did it in a casserole dish, followed a Gordon Ramsay YouTube vid. Wasn't dry, just tasted a bit meh.

A bit meh, a bit meh? It wouldn't be a bit fucking meh if you followed the instructions properly you fucking idiot. Get the fuck out and call your fucking friend next time.

Comment

lol, wp.

Comment

Roasting rib on the bone tonight. Roasties are in now.

Roast potatos are the real main event.
                                                                                          What the hell are you doing cooking dinner at this hour?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                            Can't enjoy a good Sunday roast until the bin lids are in the leaba.

9pm ish is dinner time in our gaff usually.

Comment

Chef wankers

Had a burger and chips in a kiddies play centre
                                                                                              Inhaled it. They do a lovely vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                You seem quite offended.

On the subject of food, Kinara Kitchen is really good. Sneaked in a rapid-fire meal there yesterday before the match and 'twas mighty. They don't dial down the spices either. Not the finesse of Pickle but hits the same flavours.

Doh! I meant Kerala Kitchen. Although Kinara Kitchen is good too.
                                                                                                Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 18-11-18, 21:04.
                                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Brexit-watching is truly far more dramatic than any tv show. Another huge week coming up. May clinging on by her fingernails and no clear path to getting the deal through the HoC.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                    Brexit-watching is truly far more dramatic than any tv show. Another huge week coming up. May clinging on by her fingernails and no clear path to getting the deal through the HoC.
                                                                                                    When the bomb goes off. Only May Trump and the cockroaches will remain.

Comment

Gary Cantrell clanged a bell at 6:40 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 20, signaling 70 runners to jog off into the woods on his farm in Tennessee. They had an hour to complete a 4.1667-mile loop trail. Easy. Most of the group finished with 15 minutes to spare. The bell clanged again at 7:40 a.m., and they ran it again. And at…

Can’t remember who posted the, but it was incredible.

On the stockdale front, I wouldn’t put him in the Top 10 rugby players Ireland has produced, and I’m a big fan of his.

I’d put BOD, POC, Keith Wood, Darcy, ROG, Murray, Sexton, Horgan, Earls, Furlong, Kearney ahead of him. Even since his debut, James Ryan has been the better player. I actually thought Stockdale had an average enough game against NZ and was poorer against Argies, but he’s young, he’s huge and will eventually be a phenomenal player. Way to early for GOATs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                        https://deadspin.com/ultrarunner-cou...ost-1830136537

Can’t remember who posted the, but it was incredible.

On the stockdale front, I wouldn’t put him in the Top 10 rugby players Ireland has produced, and I’m a big fan of his.

I’d put BOD, POC, Keith Wood, Darcy, ROG, Murray, Sexton, Horgan, Earls, Furlong, Kearney ahead of him. Even since his debut, James Ryan has been the better player. I actually thought Stockdale had an average enough game against NZ and was poorer against Argies, but he’s young, he’s huge and will eventually be a phenomenal player. Way to early for GOATs though.
                                                                                                        Earls.

Comment

Its glorious, British journalism at its finest.
                                                                                                          https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hael-Gove.html no deal no mars bars

Mars Bars could vanish from British shelves in a matter of weeks if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal.

Food and drink experts have warned the iconic chocolate nougat bar, as well as all confectionery imports to the country, will dramatically increase in price if the UK can't strike a deal with Brussels.

At a roundtable meeting, representatives from the Food and Drink Federation told Enviroment secretary Michael Gove that Mars Bars could go extinct within a fortnight, according to BuzzFeed News.

The experts explained to the minister that two of the ingredients used to make Mars bars are imported and only take a few days to go off.

If food imports were to be barred from entering the UK via the port of Dover in the case of a hard Brexit, Mars would be unable to make their iconic chocolate bar at its factory in Slough, Berkshire.

The experts told Gove the UK’s entire supply of Mars bars would run out within two weeks.

The Mars Bar is made up of 21 ingredients, but most of them are sourced within the UK.
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                            Its glorious, British journalism at its finest.
                                                                                                            https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hael-Gove.html no deal no mars bars
                                                                                                            If your mass produced chocolate bar is subject to JIT deliveries your either eating high end product or total dog shit

Mars bars don't taste like high end product to me

Time to give up mass produced shite is the lesson for the gammons here

Comment

Lovely evening in Bord Gais at Giselle, preceded by a veritable Italian Feast in Osteria Lucio.
                                                                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Sounds like there will be a VONC midweek which she will win essentially turning it into a vote of confidence. Why bother calling for it if you can't carry it?
                                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Its a very hard one, the brisket we get is too lean compared to the yanks.

My first one was really good, the second and third....not so much.

Get yourself some beef cheeks and braise them in red wine and stock for 3 hours, small bit of the 3 veg, on a bed of mashed spuds, and the gravy you get from the cooking is so good.
                                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs. New release on Neflix and the usual places.

Within the first 10 mins i knew i was onto something fantastic here...and it only got better.

Well worth a watch.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by oleras; 18-11-18, 23:58.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

From my now extensive experience of living in Dallas (2 weeks) I can tell you good brisket is amazing if done well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                                                                                                        From my now extensive experience of living in Dallas (2 weeks) I can tell you good brisket is amazing if done well.
                                                                                                                        I have an uncle in Austin, mad to do the bbq trail for a few weeks, some day !!
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Is the fitwilliam casino a dry casino, ie no drinking at tables?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X