Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 01-08-17, 18:31   #181
digiman

Training for the marathon at the moment myself. On week 4 of a 16 week plan which I've been sticking to fairly well to date.

Problem is I'm really struggling to get my pace up, have been doing interval sessions each week but when it comes to the long runs I'm just going so slow and way of my time from last year. Alot of work to do yet
digiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 02-08-17, 23:46   #182
BennyHiFi

Been down in West Cork on holiday since Saturday and three runs in so far.

5K up to the top of Baltimore Hill/Beacon from the village with some easy trails to get to 60m altitude (twice) + 12/13K to Lough Hyne along the picture postcard, hilly boreens (except i never saw Lough Hyne cos i got lost and had abandon ship and run back home).

Got to the end of July with 550Km done for the year and 580Km on the target which is the best I've managed in five years at this stage.

Summer is generally slower so i'm stoked cos i'm basically fully on target for my 1000km for the year (famous last words!) and can have some fun in the next couple of months.

Mondello half is next on Sept 3. Hope to beat my July Clontarf time of 2:10. Feeling groovy!
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-08-17, 07:14   #183
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
Training for the marathon at the moment myself. On week 4 of a 16 week plan which I've been sticking to fairly well to date.

Problem is I'm really struggling to get my pace up, have been doing interval sessions each week but when it comes to the long runs I'm just going so slow and way of my time from last year. Alot of work to do yet
Read some great advice on boards about PMP sessions at this stage of a training plan. Basically we should be running them at a pace we could sustain for 26.2 with today's fitness level, we shouldn't be running them at our goal pace, which at the moment is probably our HM pace. As aerobic fitness improves, so will our sustainable pace.

You're naturally not going to feel comfortable running at last year's pace right now given last year was at the tail end of 16 weeks intense training.

Did you keep a log last year? Be a good idea to check how you're comparing now to this stage last year.

Also, the slower the better on your weekend LSR, you want to keep it aerobic.
Old 23-08-17, 19:43   #184
BennyHiFi

I had an interesting 20 minute run in downtown Cairo this morning. It was already hotter than any day in Ireland this year at 7.30 am.

I tried to make my way to the Botanical Gardens in Giza about half a km away from my hotel figuring it would at least be free of traffic with a consistent surface but i got shooed away from the open gate by an enthusiastic chap who seemed to have some authority over ingress (but who was happy to let a veiled lady enter as i turned and jogged away with a shrug).

Cue an assault course-style adventure over half a dozen different types of dirt/sand/dust, up and down 20 inch high kerbs, cheek-by-jowl sprints on main thoroughfares with open sided minibuses and between hurtling and lurching traffic from all sides, a multitude of curious men with uncomfortable stares, a heavy security presence not seen since my days in the Six Counties, helmet-less motorcyclists texting at impressive speed, a colourful variety of skinny but surprisingly unmangey cats, and at least two taxi drivers who felt compelled to offer me their services as i zipped by, calling after me with the certainty they could get me to where i was going quicker or more comfortably than i could under my own steam.

Shame i couldn't have done more than 2 miles but felt on the balance of probability i had taken enough risk before 8am for one day.
Old 23-08-17, 20:56   #185
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyHiFi View Post
I had an interesting 20 minute run in downtown Cairo this morning. It was already hotter than any day in Ireland this year at 7.30 am.

I tried to make my way to the Botanical Gardens in Giza about half a km away from my hotel figuring it would at least be free of traffic with a consistent surface but i got shooed away from the open gate by an enthusiastic chap who seemed to have some authority over ingress (but who was happy to let a veiled lady enter as i turned and jogged away with a shrug).

Cue an assault course-style adventure over half a dozen different types of dirt/sand/dust, up and down 20 inch high kerbs, cheek-by-jowl sprints on main thoroughfares with open sided minibuses and between hurtling and lurching traffic from all sides, a multitude of curious men with uncomfortable stares, a heavy security presence not seen since my days in the Six Counties, helmet-less motorcyclists texting at impressive speed, a colourful variety of skinny but surprisingly unmangey cats, and at least two taxi drivers who felt compelled to offer me their services as i zipped by, calling after me with the certainty they could get me to where i was going quicker or more comfortably than i could under my own steam.

Shame i couldn't have done more than 2 miles but felt on the balance of probability i had taken enough risk before 8am for one day.
If you come straight down from Giza towards the Nile the surfaces aren't too bad and up on Zamalek and across on the Cornice by the hotels the traffic and the air aren't too bad

Here is a route I've run there.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...hare/0?lang=en
Old 23-08-17, 23:28   #186
FeetMagic

The above two posts are what makes this forum so awesome!
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 24-08-17, 09:11   #187
colm_leche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
If you come straight down from Giza towards the Nile the surfaces aren't too bad and up on Zamalek and across on the Cornice by the hotels the traffic and the air aren't too bad

Strewelpeter guility of slow playing his running advice on Cairo. A bit late after the fact!
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 25-08-17, 19:01   #188
BennyHiFi

Quote:

Will check it out next time. Thanks.

A question if i may? What (if any) other African countries/cities have you/could you run in?

Sub-Saharan specifically as i recently had a fleeting possibly of going to that part of the world and wondered how realistic getting some runs in was.
Old 26-08-17, 20:17   #189
Lazare
GFML

Crosspost from the DCM novices thread on boards, such a great day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare
Been on a high all day after that, but only getting around to giving a TR now as had my 3 year old's birthday party today.

That was the most awesome race!!

This year's Raheny 5 will always be my no.1 race, for many reasons, not least because it was my first. I was on a high for days after that, but this matches it. What an experience.

I had a nervous expectation going into it, had my mind on finishing sub 80mins. I'd never ran a 10m before so was going into it fairly blind. Wasn't sure how doable it was for me given I haven't ran near that pace since before training for DCM.

Headed to bed at about 10pm last night and slept in the spare room to get a rare full night's sleep. Got up at 7 and had a bowl of granola and a banana, took a look out at how beautiful the morning was and I knew this was gonna be a good day.

Threw the bike into the back of the van and parked outside the Islandbridge gate. Cycled up the Khyber and I had to stop to take a picture and tweet it. Such a beautiful morning, the runners high had hit before the race had even begun.

Met a few parkrun buddies in around Furze rd while I was waiting for my own friends. Also saw loads of familiar faces from previous races which was cool.

Down to business.
Planned in and around 5:00km pace for the first few km with the idea that if I felt strong I'd push on. Thought I'd fade tbh, but I didn't. I just got stronger. It was the first time that I have ever felt the effects of training. I'm surmising that Fingal was just too early in the program, but today I really felt the benefits of all the work I've (We've) been doing. Even though I knew I was giving it socks, it felt effortless until the final kick.

I bounded down the hills, opening up the stride, decreasing the cadence, using little energy but eating up the ground, then tightening up the stride, quickening the cadence for the uphills. Felt like how you change the gears on a bike. Felt so good. Felt I gained so much time. The drags take so much out of your time you've really got to make the gains on those downhills, I felt I worked them really well today and had a big net positive.

My favourite part of the course was mile 6 to 8. I was running stride for stride along that part with a girl and it felt great, we both got into a great rhythm. Pacing with someone is so beneficial, the kms tick away. I looked down at one point and I was running at 5k pace. It scared me and excited me at the same time. High 5'd a load of people along Chesterfield ave during this stage, so awesome.

That drag at the end just after the 8m mark was absolute sadistic torture stuff. I turned to another sufferer beside me and said 'who's idea was is to put a drag like this here?' and he just turned to me and said 'Bastards'. lol

That was the first time on the course that I really felt tested, which again made me realise how much the training is working.

When it flattened out and the watch beeped 15k I decided to push it on for the last. Upped the pace and overtook a few but when I hit the straight with the end about 500m away, I looked down and saw 1:18:0x and knew I had a bit of work to do so dug deep and sprinted, yelling in agony the whole way. I fell over the line in 1:19:55. A paramedic came over to me asking me was I ok, I just screamed 'Yeeahhh' at him. A high 5 type of 'yeeahhh'. lol.

What a day, what a race. So over the moon.

Very well done to everyone else. We're warriors.
Old 26-08-17, 20:27   #190
ghostface
Drunken assault fan

Was out there this morn as the missus was running, finished about 4 mins behind your time. Walked the last few miles of course waiting on the race, pretty sadistic couple of last miles on the course. I'm sure they could set it up a little easier than that. Good going Laz
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 26-08-17, 21:23   #191
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface View Post
Was out there this morn as the missus was running, finished about 4 mins behind your time. Walked the last few miles of course waiting on the race, pretty sadistic couple of last miles on the course. I'm sure they could set it up a little easier than that. Good going Laz
Fair play to her Ste, tell her I said congrats. A pb?

re the bolded. I dunno, I thought that at the time obv, but on reflection I think the profile was world class, you want to walk off there feeling tested. It's left me wanting more, can't wait to tackle it again next year.
Old 27-08-17, 17:44   #192
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyHiFi View Post
Will check it out next time. Thanks.

A question if i may? What (if any) other African countries/cities have you/could you run in?

Sub-Saharan specifically as i recently had a fleeting possibly of going to that part of the world and wondered how realistic getting some runs in was.
In general you need to know where you are going and stick to it, look at strava and nike heat maps to see where people run and ask the concierge ,in one place the hotel sent a young lad out to run with me!
Paths are usually deadly and unusable in the dark, Cairo would be way above average! Don't forget that its mostly twelve hours of dark and evenings are very busy so usually the hour before dawn is the best time.
Safety is obviously important I'd only carry my watch and enough cash to get a cab back if I need to or if I lose my way... I don't know if I am foolhardy, I'd always check with the hotel but I do go out in places that few of my colleagues will.
Lagos - I've done more running on gym treadmills in Lagos than anywhere else. This is the only place I've held back from going out alone but I did get out twice with a local guy to run across the bridge from VicIsland to Lekki and along by the sea there. time of day isn't much help and even by the sea the air is foul.

Accra - Movenpik have a track marked out inside the grounds and the roads around the hotel are grand but the beach is great - always hot so early morning best but you can always jump in to the sea to cool off.

Addis - I ran on the main roads in the early morning before the traffic as the paths are terrible, went out alone and felt safe enough but not everyone would. Very hilly everywhere and the altitude really bites. There is a good route around the grounds of and the outside wall of the big hotel... I think its the Marriot also some good routes on strava I didn't try that might be flatter. Last two times I was there they had a big city run the weekend after I left would love to have done that.

Nairobi - City center paths are a disaster so I only ever ran laps of a <2k course from
Hilton to Intercon and around the government buildings where there are loads of police.

Gabrone - decent paths and safe very early morning to beat the heat.

Joburg - I've been out around Sandton a few times hills and altitude are issues but mostly you'd want to be careful about where you are going. Strava heat maps show busy parks but they are cab rides from the hotels I've stayed in.
Old 28-08-17, 08:09   #193
BennyHiFi

Quote:
In general you need to know where you are going and stick to it, look at strava and nike heat maps to see where people run and ask the concierge ,in one place the hotel sent a young lad out to run with me!
Paths are usually deadly and unusable in the dark, Cairo would be way above average! Don't forget that its mostly twelve hours of dark and evenings are very busy so usually the hour before dawn is the best time.
Safety is obviously important I'd only carry my watch and enough cash to get a cab back if I need to or if I lose my way... I don't know if I am foolhardy, I'd always check with the hotel but I do go out in places that few of my colleagues will.
Lagos - I've done more running on gym treadmills in Lagos than anywhere else. This is the only place I've held back from going out alone but I did get out twice with a local guy to run across the bridge from VicIsland to Lekki and along by the sea there. time of day isn't much help and even by the sea the air is foul.

Accra - Movenpik have a track marked out inside the grounds and the roads around the hotel are grand but the beach is great - always hot so early morning best but you can always jump in to the sea to cool off.

Addis - I ran on the main roads in the early morning before the traffic as the paths are terrible, went out alone and felt safe enough but not everyone would. Very hilly everywhere and the altitude really bites. There is a good route around the grounds of and the outside wall of the big hotel... I think its the Marriot also some good routes on strava I didn't try that might be flatter. Last two times I was there they had a big city run the weekend after I left would love to have done that.

Nairobi - City center paths are a disaster so I only ever ran laps of a <2k course from
Hilton to Intercon and around the government buildings where there are loads of police.

Gabrone - decent paths and safe very early morning to beat the heat.

Joburg - I've been out around Sandton a few times hills and altitude are issues but mostly you'd want to be careful about where you are going. Strava heat maps show busy parks but they are cab rides from the hotels I've stayed in.
Very interesting. Looks like i came second in a selection process for company operating in sub-Saharan Africa and South Africa (they went for the cheaper option).

This info would have been invaluable had i won and accepted but as it is it's merely fascinating!

I never use Strava myself but must take the plunge, brother-in-law swears by it but i'm a man of simple needs and RunKeeper has served me well for four years.

Cheers.
Thanks From:
Old 03-09-17, 14:01   #194
BennyHiFi

Just back from the Mondello half marathon. Funny old race. Six and a bit laps of the race track for the half. Seriously warm which meant a v slow time of 2:17 (seven mins slower than my last in Clontarf).

Wasn't really comfortable at any stage but as the race progressed i took comfort in the fact that the laps seemed to be getting shorter (even though i was getting slower). It ws more undulating than i had anticipated too.

Race was stung out after about half a mile so for large parts you were running on your own just being passed out by faster runners from the full marathon.

Pretty well organised by Pop Up Races for just 20e i think. No food afterwards though which is a bit cheap.

Oh well, i survived i suppose and will do my final half of the year in two months in Clontarf again and hope for better conditions.
3 Thanks From:
Old 05-09-17, 20:40   #195
brady23

I've started doing a bit of running now. Waterford Solas in a few weeks is the goal. I've probably never ran more than 5km outside of any GAA or Bball game and I assume I never hit 5km in any of them either.

I started 2 weeks ago barely made 3.2km mark. I hit 10km today in 1hr 5 mins. My original goal starting was simply to do the Solas 16km in 2 hrs then 1hr 45min and new goal is 1hr 30 mins

GFs bro is hoping for under 1hr so basically no more than 30 mins between us is the goal.
Killarney at the weekend and I plan to do the 10km route here if anyone else is interested. http://runkillarney.com
brady23 is online now   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Old 07-10-17, 13:04   #196
ArmaniJeans
Closed Account

Location: In the heart of Transylvania, in the Vampire Hall of Fame Yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
After 15 months of heel, knee and ankle injuries that limited me to a couple of 2K runs a week, finally felt ok enough today to attack a 6K route around D15. Really just concentrated on getting it done without injury rather than any pretence at speed, so a fairly lumbering 38m40s. Pretty delighted though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Nice one AJ, great feeling to come out of an injury. Was reassured on here that in my own case I would be back where I left off after about ten runs and it's true. Feels like you've a huge hill to climb to get your fitness back but it comes back in no time.
All coming together nicely with a 28:30 parkrun this morning, have taken approx 30/40 seconds off every week for the last 8 runs. Sub 28 by the end of the year had been the target but may have to be greedy and aim for 26xx. I think I should get some sort of time/weight ranking award, the docs scales put me on 16st+ a few weeks ago.

So wish this parkrun thing had been around 20 years ago though, my grotesque competitiveness would have loved to be up with the sub20 gang.
ArmaniJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 07-10-17, 21:33   #197
Lazare
GFML

Great stuff AJ!

Hadn't spotted the other posts in the thread until now, excellent stuff Benny, when is Clontarf?

Brilliant Brady, another one hooked, keep it up.
Old 07-10-17, 21:42   #198
Lazare
GFML

Did my 2nd and last 20 miler this morning, so much better than last week's. Taper time now.

Only planned to do 18, but met with two people off the boards thread and they pushed me on the extra 2 miles. Ran the mile 2 to 11ish section of the DCM route, hitting the Chapelizod hill at my mile 18 or so then that bastard Kybher Hill at mile 20. Was such a great test hitting that at Wall time. We breezed up it, was pure pain but a really great confidence booster. There's nothing as tough as that from mile 20 on in the race itself.

Just have to trust the taper now. All looking good.
Old 08-10-17, 22:26   #199
BennyHiFi

The Clontarf Half is Sat. Nov. 25.

Good luck in the DCM. I've no doubt a fit Lazare will be a fast (and certainly finishing) Lazare.

Stay focused but not obsessed
Thanks From:
Old 20-10-17, 08:27   #200
colm_leche

Hopefully Lazare and Digiman are tapering well for DCM.

I am back jogging easy after 2 months out due to what was likely a minor calf tear. Have lost 90 secs off the park run time, and gained 4 kg, so looking to knuckle down till Christmas.
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games