This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opr View Post
    Been a few years since I've been at the Picnic and its fairly unrecognisable especially from its early roots. I thought the venue handled the large crowd rather well but I can see why others who have been spoilt by the Picnic's smaller crowds over its history had issues with the extra capacity. I think having been to Glastonbury over the last few years meant it wasn't nearly as much a shock to myselfas congestion, crowds and the the stages themselves are far, far worse at Glasto. I still found outside of most of the mainstream muck, the tents were quiet enough and could get fairly close to the front without hassel.

The corporate sponsorship was comical. Heineken area, E-lites area, Electric Ireland area, Barcardi bar, Orchard Thieves area, 3Plus area, Red bull area, Cocktail Cocktail area, Surf Laundry Disco, Sure deodorant tent. It was fucking ridiculous. Barcardi were the only ones that made an effort with their venue. All the rest of them with very little imagination but just big horrible tents.

I have very found memories of EP especially in those very early years when the lineup was heavily electronica influenced with such a great crowd. This is a completely different festival for the most part. It still retains some wonderful elements and I still had a great time but it did feel like the beginning of the end and if they add another 10k next year it will probably tip it over the edge. I don't know if this has been bleeding into the event slowly or the lack of it this year meant a first year overflow but the festival seems to have absorbed a lot of what one might term the Oxegen demographic. It was very evident in the campsites near the main arena. Place was a tip, tent burnings and really unsavoury crowds in parts. Usually when a decent portion of that crowd start appearing at a festival it is overun in future years.

Opr
    Garda presence was really increased compared to other years. I'd safely say there were 3 times more than last year but as you said they were badly needed. Thought I was going to be stabbed at the rave in the woods on the Sunday.. Highlights for me were Belle & Sebastian, Django Django, FK Twigs and Hot Chip. Obv went to see some of the more " mainstream" stuff too. Your highlights Opr?
    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

British Airways plane on fire on the Las Vegas runway. Reports of people still on board.
      Last edited by Mickey Rosa; 08-09-15, 23:33.
      The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Lark By the Lee '85
        Zooropa tour Pairc Ui Chaoimh '93
        Croke Park Elevation tour '09

I like U2 despite the Bono character. The Zooropa tour was awesome at the time and the peak of their powers imo.

Comment

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
            2001 Slane
            Chili Peppers and Coldplay supporting. That was a good gig!

Back in the day when you used to head down to ticketmaster omni at 2am and sit in the car smoking until you had to join the queue

Comment

"A little problem with the British Airways plane". WP Captain, WP ...

Comment

@dp, remember lately you posted up about some Argentinian league 2 game ht/ft weirdness.

If you are getting it from a site can you check the forum last night for a game between Kicker N & Lapentti G in tennis.

I read on a forum before the game that it was rigged and the word mafia used a few times, then when it was 4-3 kicker in the 3rd set(best of 3) they stopped the game to ammm.... fix the net..The two players went inside for 5 minutes and lapentti's price on betfair went from 1.6 to 1.35 with a lot of money on the market before another ball was hit.

Had a good lol watching Kicker avoid hitting the ball into 2/3rd's of the court and double faulting twice when 40-15 lol. Definitely seemed dodgy watching it. I obviously never bet lol
                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Whats up chimps?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Building their second underground here in Rennes at the moment. Train every two-three minutes for 19 hours a day. The key is: build it fully automated. Train drives itself, never a single person at any station. Doors between platform and rail, so no safety risks. Even if it costs a bomb to build it must be massively cash positive from the day it opens. Heard that's the way all the undergrounds are being built now, but wonder if they gave it serious consideration for DART underground.
                    Cash positive for who? Yeah why don't we get one giant fuck off robot to run the whole bastard world.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Who does this?

Comment

I wonder, now that les chattes are emerging from les sacs all over the place, will O'Connell go back on his decision to join Toulon?

Potential good news for Munster fans
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              I wonder, now that les chattes are emerging from les sacs all over the place, will O'Connell go back on his decision to join Toulon?

No chance.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                Has anyone here ever seen U2 live? They're playing the 3arena for 4 nights in November for anyone that's interested. 23rd, 24th, 27th, 28th.
                                Yes, a few times. Bono's voice was gone last time (2001) so doubt they wre worth seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                  No chance.
                                  Even if true? What sanctions are available against the club if proven?

Comment

Even if true? What sanctions are available against the club if proven?
                                    Boujadel would not let it happen. Unless POC buys himself out of his own contract a la Quade Cooper.

Fairly difficult to figure out exactly what's going on, but sounds like more than one pharmacy was claiming from govt for Toulon players being 'their customers'. Not sure what evidence there is of anything else yet.

Two year suspensions for drugs in France I think. Players though, not sure there's any precedent for club sanctions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirtoyou View Post
                                      Lark By the Lee '85
                                      Zooropa tour Pairc Ui Chaoimh '93
                                      Croke Park Elevation tour '09

I like U2 despite the Bono character. The Zooropa tour was awesome at the time and the peak of their powers imo.
                                      That was a great weekend. Wolfe Tones, UB40, were the Pogues there too? About 15 of us slept under a bank awning for the weekend. Mighty craic. Fuck me though, its 30 years ago !!!!!!

You remember the plastic bottles being thrown across the crowd??

Comment

Comment

Dandelion market 197
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Government minister turning up for conference this morning, strike has mysteriously vanished

Comment

Attention Admins:

I'm aware of an upcoming live event blogging opportunity, and would like to post about it on IPB in case any members would be interested. Is this OK? I won't be the main contact for the job, but the person who's looking for someone isn't on IPB and I said I'd see if you were happy I throw up a post about it.

Comment

Does what?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                    Attention Admins:

I'm aware of an upcoming live event blogging opportunity, and would like to post about it on IPB in case any members would be interested. Is this OK? I won't be the main contact for the job, but the person who's looking for someone isn't on IPB and I said I'd see if you were happy I throw up a post about it.
                                                    Work away Paul.

Comment

pretty tame story so far. Really curious as to what RTL are hiding/believe they hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        Does what?
                                                        Turns such a good building into such shitty bedsit/studios instead of actual apartments.

A 'luxury studio' is a pretty bizarre setup no?

Not a bad setup here for €1000pm!
                                                        Find Houses For Rent in Crumlin, Dublin. Search 3 Houses for rent in Crumlin, Dublin on Daft.ie now.
                                                        Last edited by Emmet; 09-09-15, 09:14.

Comment

Turns such a good building into such shitty bedsit/studios instead of actual apartments.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for...ublin-1586283/
                                                          Ha! thats a grand old Irish tradition... I assume what you are seeing there is to the nearest inch inside the minimum allowed by the new regs for bedsits apartments

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            Need to pop over to Innsbruck in Austria for a day or two at end of November, with maybe a day's grace added too. Will be flying into and out of Munich. Has anyone been to Innsbruck? Wondering if its worth booking all the nights there, or taking the certain excitement of a big night in Munich.
                                                            Ah innsbruck is fucking beautiful!! A very quiet night life the few days I was there to be honest but there are a lot of hills to climb with just spectacular views. Honestly think it is the most picturesque city I have been to!

Also they have a ski lift that takes you from the city to the top of a mountain to go skiing which is claaaaaass. Although it was summer when I was there so could not avail. If you want excitement go to Munich though tbh. During the day in Innsbruck I saw so many people playing sports - free running tracks, basketball courts and beach volleyball courts in a few places and then during the night all those people/hot girls were nowhere to be seen .

If you head there let me know when and I'll message an old friend and ask if anything is on then.
                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for...ublin-1586283/
                                                              No hob or oven?
                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                No hob or oven?
                                                                Will be on the left of the kettle I reckon. Glass cover leaning on the wall as a hint? (And the power switches)

Comment

Should be up to at or just below the bottom of your hip. What school is it if you don't mind me asking?
                                                                  Apologies, just catching up now. Thanks for the guidance.

Nothing personal of course but I'd rather not be posting personal stuff on a forum, sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                    Garda presence was really increased compared to other years. I'd safely say there were 3 times more than last year but as you said they were badly needed. Thought I was going to be stabbed at the rave in the woods on the Sunday.. Highlights for me were Belle & Sebastian, Django Django, FK Twigs and Hot Chip. Obv went to see some of the more " mainstream" stuff too. Your highlights Opr?
                                                                    Security were a mixed bad. The ones milling around the site seemed in good form but the guys searching you going into the main arena were a little full on at times. I had enough for a few joints in the small jeans pocket. I put my arms up for the usual pat down. Guy dived straight in to rumage through my pockets, two fingers into the small pocket before i could react, got the small bit of weed and with a big smirk pocketed it and proceeded to do everything short of a rectal search. I felt quite violated

Highlights were Jon Hopkins, Villagers (I was just after smoking a j when he asked the whole crowd to sit down, thanks Conor ), FKA Twigs, Hundred Waters, Django, The War on Drugs, Chvrches. Only real complaint was missing Belle & Sebastain.

I thought Despacio was a brilliant addition to the festival. It would be to any festival. I wish I had hung out at it more especially late at night instead of the rave in the woods. Amazing sound system, great tunes and excellent atmosphere.

Opr

Comment

Despacio was at sonar last year. Thought it was class!

You should see the full on search everyone got at dekmantel this year, crazy stuff in addition to random searches in the festival and kicking people out for weed in a festival in Amsterdam
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                        Security were a mixed bad. The ones milling around the site seemed in good form but the guys searching you going into the main arena were a little full on at times. I had enough for a few joints in the small jeans pocket. I put my arms up for the usual pat down. Guy dived straight in to rumage through my pockets, two fingers into the small pocket before i could react, got the small bit of weed and with a big smirk pocketed it and proceeded to do everything short of a rectal search. I felt quite violated
                                                                        Those lads at the entrance in are always like that.
                                                                        One of my favourite EP memories was a few years back smuggling in cans (weed goes in the shoe or prerolled in the cig box). I was wearing jeans with 6 cans around the waist held in place with a belt.
                                                                        Just before the entrance guy one of the cans fell down me trouser leg and was sat precariously under the jeans and on top of my runner.
                                                                        I limped straight leg towards the guy and mumbled about me leg, the poor fella cleared everyone around me so i'd have room to pass, 2 metres into the festival ground, my balancing act failed and the can fell out of my jeans. I picked it up, opened it, saluted the guy and he burst his hole laughing.
                                                                        Once you are past them, the really couldn't give a fuck it's a game to them.
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

@Keane

When can we expect your AI football final forecast?

Also interested to hear what way Kayroo thinks it will go

Comment

Probably a ridic stupid question but if you were to borrow say 15k from a credit union to make up the bulk of a deposit for a house would the fact that you had borrowed the money stand against you when applying for the mortage? I.e how important is it to show the pattern of saving? We would have no problem getting it together over say 18 months it would be to speed things along

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                              Probably a ridic stupid question but if you were to borrow say 15k from a credit union to make up the bulk of a deposit for a house would the fact that you had borrowed the money stand against you when applying for the mortage?
                                                                              Think so.
                                                                              It effects your ability to repay the mortgage if you've other loans. Of you can prove that you can repay that loan and the mortgage, that might give you some Lee way. Although I'm no expert. It's been a while since I was in the mortgage markets.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                  @Keane

Next week probably. I'm not really paying much attention to the coverage at the moment.

Gut check naturally has Kerry as winners.

Comment

Probably a ridic stupid question but if you were to borrow say 15k from a credit union to make up the bulk of a deposit for a house would the fact that you had borrowed the money stand against you when applying for the mortage? I.e how important is it to show the pattern of saving? We would have no problem getting it together over say 18 months it would be to speed things along
                                                                                    Yes. It couldn't be considered 'savings'.

You would be better off getting a family member to lend you the cash on the QT.

Edit: damn you Hitch

Comment

Yes. It couldn't be considered 'savings'.

You would be better off getting a family member to lend you the cash on the QT.

Edit: damn you Hitch
                                                                                      Damn pauper family.

Comment

Cheers lads thought as much.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                          @Keane

Cluxton's hamstring to be the decisive factor but will be missed as it has been all year and attributed to Moran having a stormer in midfield.

Expect a 3 point Kerry win after a cracking game although, like Keane, that's a first thought thing. I really haven't thought it through too much yet. Still struggling to get my ticket sorted first. Priorities
                                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

So the plan for this morning was to get up at 4.30am, prep and reprep a presentation I was set to deliver at 8.00am with our guest speaker Johnny Sexton. Breakfast from 7.15 for our guests.

Instead I'm woken by my wife's labour pains which she thinks aren't labour pains at 3.30. She's telling me to head in and give the speech when she finally sees a bit of sense at 5.45 after her waters break.

To cut a long story short. We get to Holles st at 6.30 and my daughter is delivered into this world at 7.59

Putting the marker down from the first minute and arriving like a boss. That's my girl.

MrsV and MiniV are doing great.
                                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Just this once?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                Cluxton's hamstring to be the decisive factor but will be missed as it has been all year and attributed to Moran having a stormer in midfield.

Expect a 3 point Kerry win after a cracking game although, like Keane, that's a first thought thing. I really haven't thought it through too much yet. Still struggling to get my ticket sorted first. Priorities
                                                                                                There must be something wrong with Paul Flynn as well is there?

Cian O'Sullivan should be ok I imagine?

Comment

Been gone 12 days, what have I missed?

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                    So the plan for this morning was to get up at 4.30am, prep and reprep a presentation I was set to deliver at 8.00am with our guest speaker Johnny Sexton. Breakfast from 7.15 for our guests.

Instead I'm woken by my wife's labour pains which she thinks aren't labour pains at 3.30. She's telling me to head in and give the speech when she finally sees a bit of sense at 5.45 after her waters break.

To cut a long story short. We get to Holles st at 6.30 and my daughter is delivered into this world at 7.59

Putting the marker down from the first minute and arriving like a boss. That's my girl.

Great news, congrats!!

Comment

Just this once?
                                                                                                      You can't give booze t'baby

Comment

Damn pauper family.
                                                                                                        Doesn't matter, its a game CU's are happy to play.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                          V4V had a baby

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

One time for Mammy's looks.

Congrats and GL

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                There must be something wrong with Paul Flynn as well is there?

Cian O'Sullivan should be ok I imagine?
                                                                                                                Asked to do a different job this year and not enjoying it AT ALL. Basically sacrificed to keep Dermo up the field. Also lads I know tell me he's not mad keen on the media stuff and it might have got to him a bit. That being said what can we expect from the man? He has been unbelievably consistent for Dublin. He's having a quiet year by his standards but still doing a vital job for Dublin and its freeing up Andrews and Kilkenny (both having their best seasons) as well as giving room for McCaffrey to get forward. There's no coincidence that James McCarthy had his best game when Connolly had a quiet one. He cleared space for McCarthy and McMahon along with Flynn. It's not what we are used to seeing but it's a much smarter set up than 2013 from Dublin. That said be nice to see the shackles come off and for both teams to just throw down again.

Cian should be alright but it'll depend on how he is Monday, can't have a semi-fit CB against your forwards.
                                                                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

lost dog found in phibsboro, who to contact to take him? Can't really keep him with a cat while looking for the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                                    V4V had a baby.

Comment

Just this once?
                                                                                                                      Lol. No I just don't like it.

We had meat, cheese and nuts for brekkie afterwards and declined the toast and the celiac toast which was kindly offered. MrsV reacts very badly to grains, white potato and a number of other things so it was very important to her to have the right foods for her body afterwards. Baby is breastfeeding like a champ so far and all good. The midwives kept asking did she do yoga etc as she was delivering the baby in a very straightforward manner plus her denial of her labour status for so long. Yoga my arse she was squatting and lunging at the gym upto two weeks ago says I.

Sleep time now but I'm buzzing...
                                                                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

also what would be his "breed" or whatever?

Comment

Great news Olly, congrats to you all on the arrival of your sleepless nights.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X