Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declaring your hand?

just wondering what the ruling would/should be in this situation

in not sure of exact positions but early position raises and +2 shoves with +3 shoving for less then around to roughly BB who calls the +2 shove and original raiser calls

(hence 2 all ins with 2 players still betting)

then before the flop BB declares that he has 56. one of the All ins says that if that is true that you hand is dead

Flop 663 and BB pushes and gets called. BB turns over 65 and then the fun begins..........

I dont think the hand is dead but the the player who declares his hand may be subject to
    a penalty and i think it really bad ettiquette to declare your hand also.

Comment

I have seen people asked if they are on a flush draw, have top pair etc and say yes or no. They are either lying or telling the truth and if you can tell it gives you information. Hand is live, no problem and the guy got lucky hitting his 2 cards so heavy. Guy was just as likley to be bullshitting and turn up with aces just trying to get more into the pot

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan-Black View Post
        I have seen people asked if they are on a flush draw, have top pair etc and say yes or no. They are either lying or telling the truth and if you can tell it gives you information. Hand is live, no problem and the guy got lucky hitting his 2 cards so heavy. Guy was just as likley to be bullshitting and turn up with aces just trying to get more into the pot
        This is the rules and rulings section, not the soul reading skills section. The guy broke the rules and the discussion is about the penalty.

Hand is live but player gets warning and 1 round penalty imo.

Comment

It's fine, he said pf he had 56, but then he turned over 65.....

Comment

Originally posted by Maddogg View Post
            just wondering what the ruling would/should be in this situation

in not sure of exact positions but early position raises and +2 shoves with +3 shoving for less then around to roughly BB who calls the +2 shove and original raiser calls

(hence 2 all ins with 2 players still betting)

then before the flop BB declares that he has 56. one of the All ins says that if that is true that you hand is dead

Flop 663 and BB pushes and gets called. BB turns over 65 and then the fun begins..........
            Kind of a ghey one if you wanna be a stickler for the rules you could probably make the hand dead but seeing as the players is all in it would be very harsh to send him out this way.

Benefit of the doubt here and a little common sense and some sort of penalty giving and warn him not to do it again.
            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Hand is live and player is given a penalty IMO.

Anytime we can award the pot to the best hand there's pretty much no decision to be made.

Anything else is angle-shooting.

Comment

Sorry for dragging this up lads. Another question about declaring your hand. Is it different if its down to 2 players. Can you say whatever you want ?

Say its blind V blind. Flop comes 2 9 J. SB checks. BB bets. SB raises. BB tanks and says he has a top pair, I have a J, can you beat a J etc etc. Then folds and shows his hand and he had J 6.

Should / could this player get a warning or one round ban or other punishment?

Comment

A similar thing happened to me in a tournament. I was heads up with a guy on the river. The board has two 7s and he checks to me. I bet (holding a 7). He then asks me if I have a 7. Not knowing about the discussed rule I answer "Yes". He then calls and as I turn over my 7 he calls the TD and wants my hand ruled dead.

Hand was declared live and I received a warning. Lesson learned: Until showdown you are only allowed to lie. Verbally declaring your hand before the showdown can get you in trouble. Verbally declaring the wrong hand is OK. I know the rule is there to prevent collusion, but in my opinion this leaves the door open for angle-shooting.

Comment

It's a stupid rule and the TD in your case made the right call.

I'd also be threatening the other player with GBH but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Onsberg View Post
                      A similar thing happened to me in a tournament. I was heads up with a guy on the river. The board has two 7s and he checks to me. I bet (holding a 7). He then asks me if I have a 7. Not knowing about the discussed rule I answer "Yes". He then calls and as I turn over my 7 he calls the TD and wants my hand ruled dead.

Hand was declared live and I received a warning. Lesson learned: Until showdown you are only allowed to lie. Verbally declaring your hand before the showdown can get you in trouble. Verbally declaring the wrong hand is OK. I know the rule is there to prevent collusion, but in my opinion this leaves the door open for angle-shooting.
                      this lad was just being a prick, he asked u a question I presume to try get a read off you, and when he realises his read on u was way off he gets mad and tries to get your hand rule dead
                      Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol

Comment

Did he anyway resemble Wayne Rooney?

Comment

Originally posted by twitch1984 View Post
                          this lad was just being a prick, he asked u a question I presume to try get a read off you, and when he realises his read on u was way off he gets mad and tries to get your hand rule dead
                          Well it's also possible that when he said he had a seven, the guy thought he must not have a seven because its against the rules to say so if its true. So in that case he was only calling because of what he was told.

BTW in this scenario you could always claim you were referring to one of the sevens on the board, not the one in your hand
                          Last edited by Lisa; 11-07-11, 12:44.

Comment

What you did wasn't against the rules, TD was wrong.

It's wrong to specifically declare your hand.
                            You saying you had ASce Seven would of been against the rules

But answering a question is not against the rules, nor is it against the rules to say you had just a seven, as your hand isn't specifically identified. Its like saying you have flush without naming the cards, not against the rules.
                            BTW in this scenario you could always claim you were referring to one of the sevens on the board, not the one in your hand [/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                            X