External Hard Drive Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Hard Drive Problems

Plugged a Seagate external hard drive into a TV to watch a movie off it. It's a FreeAgent GoFlex 2. It's working on the TV now but the directory is now corrupted and can't access it off my PC or laptop now. Been on the website and ran a diagnostic and some software but still won't run. Is formatting it the only way? There are a couple of important files on it that I didn't back up.
    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
    Plugged a Seagate external hard drive into a TV to watch a movie off it. It's a FreeAgent GoFlex 2. It's working on the TV now but the directory is now corrupted and can't access it off my PC or laptop now. Been on the website and ran a diagnostic and some software but still won't run. Is formatting it the only way? There are a couple of important files on it that I didn't back up.
    All is not lost yet you can still get some stuff off it before bringing it somewhere to get it professionally done try this little program called Recuva I used it recently (it's free) when mistakenly deleted my downloads folder, managed to get a lot of stuff back that I didn't think possible.

Couple other tech heads from here should hopefully pop in with a few responses also.
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

If that fails

sata/ide adaptor

How to recover data using the above

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
        open DOS
        type [DriveLetter, E,GZ whatever]:/
        Enter
        Chkdsk /r
        enter

This'll attempt to scan and repair any bad sectors
        My 1st port of call and works a large % of the time
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Missing Files on Ext HD

Going to hijack this thread instead of opening another.

Was just going to back up a number of files onto my ext HD.

Have it set up in 3 separate folders - TV, Movies and Music. Just noticed that all folders in Movies A-G have disappeared as has all my music files apart from letter A. TV folder seems fine. No idea what has happened, defo didn't delete them and AFAIR they were all there last time I used the HD.

Any way I can check the drive for overly large folders in case they have moved into a folder or search to see what has happened? Western Digital HD if that makes any difference

Comment

but i doubt you use xp
            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I'd say they might have been moved accidentally, you should be able to figure out where they are by checking the size of the folders.
              If the are gone you can still recover the files using this
              Recover and un-delete files with Recuva, the award-winning file recovery tool by the makers of CCleaner. Download the latest version today.
              The smarter you play the luckier you'll be
              MTT Calender 2015

Comment

treesize is a handy too for this too
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                X