Laptop advice - Solid state v Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop advice - Solid state v Hybrid

Current laptop is 5 years old and starting to struggle especially since upgrading to HM2. I had though about upgrading to a solid state drive and upping the ram to 8g but have instead opted for a new set-up
    Which is prob going to be a 15 inch laptop + 24 inch Monitor
    Holdem manager recommended specs Holdem manager reccomend an i5 or i7 processor and a Solid state harddrive
    Ideally i would like to get something with a decent sized solid state and 8g of ram but that would likely push the price over my budget. want to get a decent setup but dont really want to spend more than €1,000 on laptop + monitor. to keep the price down i am looking laptops with Hybrid drives such as this
    lenovo Z50 + Acer 24 inch Monitor
    Has anyone experience with solid state or Hybrid Harddrives?

The other thing i am wondering about is the processor, as most new windows laptops have i3,i5 and i7 processors in them and after a bit of researching i3 doesn't seem good enough for multi tabling + HM2 + others. While the i7 is the better option doesn't seem to be worth spending the extra couple of hundred for. The confusing part is there seems to be a huge number of different i5 and i7 models and some are duo core with others being quad core.
    For example the laptop above has an i5 (duo core) with a speed of 1.7 GHz / 2.7 GHz with TurboBoost ( 5 year old laptop had a 2.2GHz duo core)
    So is this processor only slightly better than whats in my old laptop or are the new processors a lot more advanced and not just rated by the GHz speed?
    Will there be a significant difference between duo core and quad core i5 processors?

Another option i had thought of was buying a cheaper laptop with 8g of ram and buying my own solid state, a 120g SSD on amazon starts at £42 and 240g SSD is about £70 sterling. I have been told that putting windows won't be a problem but may run into trouble configuring and setting up the solid state and would be better going for a laptop with 1 already on it. Can anyone confirm this or advise on installing solid state drives.

Appreciate any advice on this or any other suggestions
    The smarter you play the luckier you'll be
    MTT Calender 2015

Get a desktop, 500 yoyo would get a pretty good PC off adverts with all the things you require. There are a bewildering amount of CPUs in the i5-i7 range, and the mobile ones for laptops would be slightly less powerful to aid battery life. If you have a 24 screen you will be sitting at a desk, so laptop not much addition in that case.
    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
      Get a desktop, 500 yoyo would get a pretty good PC off adverts with all the things you require. There are a bewildering amount of CPUs in the i5-i7 range, and the mobile ones for laptops would be slightly less powerful to aid battery life. If you have a 24 screen you will be sitting at a desk, so laptop not much addition in that case.
      ^ This.

Regarding SSD vs Hybrid. Hybrid in my experience is only slightly better than a traditional HDD. SSD all day, every day.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
        This is something to think about, never thought of a desktop processor being more powerful but think i would rather the option of having a good laptop + second screen over a desktop

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
        ^ This.

Regarding SSD vs Hybrid. Hybrid in my experience is only slightly better than a traditional HDD. SSD all day, every day.
        thanks, seems its worth investing in a SSD so. Have you ever added a SSD to a laptop and is it straight forward
        I seen this SSD bundle on amazon but unsure if its practical to buy a new laptop and add something like this
        Kingston Technology 240GB Solid State Drive V300 SATA 3 Upgrade Bundle Kit with Adapter
        MTT Calender 2015

Comment

you can't really mod laptops too easiilly. I went through the same thing last year when upgrading. Ended up getting a pretty good deal on an acer with 8g ram and an i7 cpu. I bought an external ssd separately and store my archive on it. I believe installing HM2 on it significantly improves performance also.

Comment

*700€-800€ can't remember the exact figure btw. Ext ssd was around 60€ for 56gb which is going to be enough for hhs.

Comment

Originally posted by ClogBogger View Post
              you can't really mod laptops too easiilly. I went through the same thing last year when upgrading. Ended up getting a pretty good deal on an acer with 8g ram and an i7 cpu. I bought an external ssd separately and store my archive on it. I believe installing HM2 on it significantly improves performance also.
              thanks, that's prob what i am looking at doing too. I have emailed HM support with a few questions and they said to put windows + HM manager on the SSD and the archive can go on the normal drive. they also say a quad core is a lot better than a duo core especially with note caddy.

prob wont be able to afford a laptop a SSD + a quad core i7 but i am gueassing a SSD with a duo core i5 or i7 will still be good enough. dont think i am intrested in the hybrid drives now.

any idea what type of i7 is in your laptop?
              MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Intel i7 quadcore

It's pretty good, fairly happy with it. One major thing that helps is cooling build yourself a laptop stand out of cardboard for free!!! (link attached) I spent 30€ on one off amazon 1/2 of which was shipping. I then made this one as a stop gap and I love it, seems like it will be perfect long term.

Tbh I haven't set up my ssd properly as far as I can tell. I'll get on it and let you know how I get on.

cardboard laptop stand, make it double ply for added structural stability (cut out double of everything and make the slots twice as large. also make the 'hook' parts that stop the laptop sliding down a bit longer)

Link :

Comment

Working...
                X