Android cant view multimedia txt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android cant view multimedia txt

Im a fan of android but theres a couple of things that grinds my gears about it.

1.) Still unable to view multimedia pic texts?. Ok i can but only on 3G but im PAYG and dont want to pay for a day just to see a pic txt i want to view it over wifi

2.) No flash player as android have discontinued this in favour of HTML5 and most websites streaming video havent developed for HTML5 despite most of the world being on android and apple combined. I still put on a back of the truck version of flash player but still no good as the video i want to stream says its needs unspecified plugins.

Am i missing something or is there anything anything can be done about any of this. Im on version 2.3.6 gingerbread by the way. The phone is a galaxi mini and wont accept a 4.0 + OS?

1) no real way around that apart from using another messaging service.
    I'd recommend whatsapp

2)I've posted how to get around this in the android apps thread.
    basically sideloading a flash apk and using a different browser. It's easy and takes less than 2 mins using a pc/laptop

edit...if you are on gingerbread, I'm pretty sure the flash still works on stock browser as you havent updated it.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
      Im a fan of android but theres a couple of things that grinds my gears about it.

1.) Still unable to view multimedia pic texts?. Ok i can but only on 3G but im PAYG and dont want to pay for a day just to see a pic txt i want to view it over wifi

2.) No flash player as android have discontinued this in favour of HTML5 and most websites streaming video havent developed for HTML5 despite most of the world being on android and apple combined. I still put on a back of the truck version of flash player but still no good as the video i want to stream says its needs unspecified plugins.

Am i missing something or is there anything anything can be done about any of this. Im on version 2.3.6 gingerbread by the way. The phone is a galaxi mini and wont accept a 4.0 + OS?
      1 - Get the other person to send a message using viber/whatsapp and get the pics free over wifi.

2 - Use skyfire browser to do on the fly transcoding, I used this for watching a classico match. However you need a higher spec handset than the mini and I think ICS as a minimum from a quick google.

Also you could put on some custom roms on the galaxy mini and you'd be good to go with ICS. However they probably will run really poor as the mini's specs are quite low. Finally there's a good chance that not all stock apps will work straight off the bat when you put on the custom rom.

Comment

Thanks Colicam yes your right skyfire isnt compatible with the low specs of the phone. I definately need a new phone but i get all indecisive when i read the reviews and cant pull the triger. It will be a payg phone. Im currently looking at the HTX Desire X as i dont think i can wait for the nexus 4 so show here.

Good tip about viber the only problem is that i need to tell the person would they mind sending again via viber. Its a terrible state of affairs that we cant open a multimedia txt over wifi though.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          1) no real way around that apart from using another messaging service.
          I'd recommend whatsapp

2)I've posted how to get around this in the android apps thread.
          basically sideloading a flash apk and using a different browser. It's easy and takes less than 2 mins using a pc/laptop

edit...if you are on gingerbread, I'm pretty sure the flash still works on stock browser as you havent updated it.
          Linky to that post re flash please?
          Profit before people.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Sorry Deadparrot i missed your first post. I remember that post from before and tried it but again this phone wont download or install firefox beta!. I done the first part and got flash player but its useless without the plugins that have followed. Ive also read that flash player on android is an awful malware beacon but not sure how true this is.

Comment

as I was saying, I'm surprised flash isnt working on your device anymore if you havent updated it in any way
                it doesnt make a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  as I was saying, I'm surprised flash isnt working on your device anymore if you havent updated it in any way
                  it doesnt make a lot of sense.
                  It does work on certain things but i want it for 2 sites attheraces and racinguk to watch back race replays and neither will play because is says it needs plugins that this version of flash player hasnt got. I got the flash player from the xda developers but those are the last of the versions pre android cutoff afaik and hasnt got the various plugin updates since.
                  I know flash works because i tried jwplayer videos with and without flash installed and it plays with and not without. The plugin updates are the crux.

Comment

Got a htc desire x. So with firefox beta and flash player like you say it works a dream!.

Comment

Working...
                    X