No announcement yet.

The London Olympics betting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really not understanding how some bookmakers are pricing up the group B outright in the football. South Korea are clear favourites to beat Switzerland today yet Switzerland are much shorter with most firms to top the group. Powers are the only ones who have it right imo. All four teams are level on a point, but Swiss drew with the worst team in the group opener (Gabon) and Korea play them in the final game. Swiss are ahead currently having scored a goal but it's an minimal advantage at best, probably a disadvantage considering they didn't get few more goals+ a win against the weakest side in the group.
    Profit before people.

Comment

betfair is the way to go on the olympics. big difference in prices at least worth a check before you place any bet. the olympics is a layers market after all.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
        here's a singles bet worth a small punt:

weighlifting:tran le coq tuan (56kg) this guy has posted a weight of 292 this year which matches the chinese (Wu) favorite weight of last year. as i said, it's really difficult to get these right as very little info is available but the chinese guy is 8/15 and tran is 15/2 so could defintely be value there.
        Bad start as missed his first 2 snatches so he s 8kg behind, but the big story is a north Korean in the b final has posted 293kg which might be enough to win it or at the very least get a medal

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
          Bad start as missed his first 2 snatches so he s 8kg behind, but the big story is a north Korean in the b final has posted 293kg which might be enough to win it or at the very least get a medal
          lol, north korean wins it. tuan had a bad day but it was there for the taking tbh. Need to have a look if that's ever happened before to win a gold from the b final.

looks like north korea has got some new chinese scientists to help out.

Comment

Mens 5000 metres

I've been touting a possible winner in boards.ie.
            • He has the fastest time at the distance in the world in 2012 (on 06/07/12), and 5th all-time best time. This time is 10.1 seconds faster than the favourite's best 2012 time, and is 6.3 seconds better than the favourite's personal best.
            • He beat the favourite over 3000 metres indoors in 2011 wearing only one shoe for the entire race, and outsprinted the favourite.
            • He is 22 years old. The favourite is 29 years old.

Age of past medallists
            SPOILER

average about 25.

SPOILER

My choice
            Dejen Gebremeskel (Ethiopia)

Comment

The Chinese that crushed the 400 IM is available at 5/6 on PP for the 200 IM. Lumpage?

Comment

Phonetic pronunciation of his first name makes the 5000m guy an insta-bet!

Comment

What's the bookies policy when an athlete is stripped of a medal?

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                    The Chinese that crushed the 400 IM is available at 5/6 on PP for the 200 IM. Lumpage?

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/swimmi...e_racing_css=N
                    I like the look of it. This is her split for the 400m, and the 2nd one is the split for the joint second favourite. Seems the freestyle is where she'll do the most damage

This was Lochte's split for the freestyle end of his 400m and she outswam him (although he wasn't under any pressure)

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                      What's the bookies policy when an athlete is stripped of a medal?
                      I know the Tour de France is paid out based on the podium presentation (f u Floyd Landis).

This is the Betfair rule.

Customers should be aware that this market is for the winner of the overall event and not for individual qualifiers or heats. Where there is a presentation ceremony, markets will be settled on the result of the relevant governing body at the time of the ceremony, regardless of any subsequent disqualification or amendment to the result. As a customer courtesy we may choose to settle prior to the presentation ceremony. However we reserve the right to re-settle in accordance with our rules and regs.

Comment

1/20 now!

Comment

Shooting - Mens 10m Air Rifle
                          Nicolo Campriani (Italy) 9/4. Was the first competitor from any sport to qualify for the London games when he won the worlds 2 years ago. Also mentioned Peter Sidi (Hungary) 11/1.
                          Sigh, Campriani comes second by just 0.6 pts.

Sidi didnt even make the final

Comment

Only placed my 2nd bet of the games right there, lumped quite a lot on great Britain to get top 3 in team event here at 2.75 as their event averages more than the rings(not a fact, i just made this up)

Also have 25 on south Korea to win their group so thanks for the tip and the sweat situation
                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Volleyball game at 11pm featuring the Great Britain women vs Algeria. I don't know anything about volleyball but I went and checked the world rankings and Algeria are 16th while GB are in the 60s. Algeria have won a lot of African titles and GB have never won anything. They only started playing again in 2006(according to wiki) when it was agreed Sco, Eng, Wal and N.I. could all compete as one nation in the Olympic games.

Both these teams were well beaten in their first matches in this thing. Japan who are no.5 in the world beat Algeria 3-0 and only conceded 36 points to them while Russia who are ranked 9 beat GB 3-0 and only conceded 45 points.

GB are strong favourites for this and I've layed them at 1.27. I could be very wrong but I think its worth a chance given that Algeria have some history in this sport while GB have none.
                              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                Volleyball game at 11pm featuring the Great Britain women vs Algeria. I don't know anything about volleyball but I went and checked the world rankings and Algeria are 16th while GB are in the 60s. Algeria have won a lot of African titles and GB have never won anything. They only started playing again in 2006(according to wiki) when it was agreed Sco, Eng, Wal and N.I. could all compete as one nation in the Olympic games.

Both these teams were well beaten in their first matches in this thing. Japan who are no.5 in the world beat Algeria 3-0 and only conceded 36 points to them while Russia who are ranked 9 beat GB 3-0 and only conceded 45 points.

GB are strong favourites for this and I've layed them at 1.27. I could be very wrong but I think its worth a chance given that Algeria have some history in this sport while GB have none.
                                Tight contest and hard to call, great value at the price though!

Comment

1-1 in sets and GB just won their first ever set in Olympic Volleyball!
                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

woot. Freerolling the rest of the games now. Thanks you drug taking Chinese wunderkind

Comment

nice tidy cuban boxer ramirez in flyweight. nice draw too can see him being in final and at 10/1( bet 365) is well worth a punt.

note for patriotic punters. micheal conlon is in this event too and they may well meet. cuban v a paddy. i know who the head says

quick archery update. korean ranked no. 2 scrapped tru today. would have been a big upset. fragilli who won gold with italy was beaten by hrachov. continues tomorrow.

Comment

My friend who is big into cycling fancies Taylor Phinney in the time trial tomorrow he has lumped a nice bit on it. He is in London and was talking to Sean Kelly today who agreed with him.

I should mention he fancies him for a medal most likely second not to win.
                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I took the early Archery advice to back X. Dai. He is on now and while I'm not sure how impressive he has been he seems to be cruising to the next round with all 10s and 9s.

Comment

Backed Uruguay vs GB tonight @ 19/10. I didn't see the Senegal game but on paper the price looks big.

On 2-0 aswell (12/1) for peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                              Backed Uruguay vs GB tonight @ 19/10. I didn't see the Senegal game but on paper the price looks big.

On 2-0 aswell (12/1) for peanuts.
                                              They didn't seem all too bothered which was pretty frustrating because the talent is obv there. Hopefully they show up tonight considering they have to win to stay in the olympics. Usually one of the most commited nations in terms of playing for the shirt so hopefully they show a little national pride.
                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Ellison lost in the archery so X Dai is now against a lower ranked opponent in the QF and the better of the 2 players he would meet in the semi is only ranked 21 so good shot for the e/w bettors.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                  Ellison lost in the archery so X Dai is now against a lower ranked opponent in the QF and the better of the 2 players he would meet in the semi is only ranked 21 so good shot for the e/w bettors.
                                                  2 whitewashes as well for X today. The 3 Koreans all still in mind

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Dai through on the one arrow shootout!

Comment

Dai through on the one arrow shootout!
                                                        The Korean favourite got knocked out as well (the blind guy)

Comment

Have a big (for me) accumulator on since before it began

Phelps win 100m Fly - 2/5
                                                          Brazil in footy - 6/4
                                                          Katie Taylor - 1/4
                                                          Usain Bolt 200m - 4/7

First two looking pretty good, i'm hoping Katie doesn't fuck the whole thing up for me

Comment

Having watched a good bit of it the guy I think has looked the best all the way through is Jin Hyek Oh. Our guy meets him in the semi-final should they both make it.

Comment

Any link to a good easy to use upcoming event guide?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                Any link to a good easy to use upcoming event guide?
                                                                Official one is fantastic.

Official home of the IOC. Find the latest news and featured stories, information about IOC members plus Olympic principles, values and legacy.

Comment

Having watched a good bit of it the guy I think has looked the best all the way through is Jin Hyek Oh. Our guy meets him in the semi-final should they both make it.
                                                                  Tough to see X doing it tbh. He is most definitely on the tough side of the draw and will most likely have to beat the 2 remaining Koreans to get to the final

Comment

I have a couple of multiples on five athletes in the track and field.

They are Allyson, Sanya, Jess, Usain and Sally Pearson. I just got very worried about the 400m after seeing the Russian win with consummate ease in under 51 seconds.

Comment

I like David Storl in the shot put final tonight. He is the current outdoor world champion, and at only 22 years of age is only going to get better and better I think. He is the second favourite at 3/1 right now but the favourite Reese Hoffa has not done it at a major championship since 2007 and has let himself down badly in both Olympics he has contested. The Pole Majewski is the currentl Olympic champion and the other yank Christian Cantwell is a very good big tournament thrower as well. Storl though stepped it up last year when it mattered most and I just think he is the next great Champion in this event.

Comment

Didn't realise that Neymar was a bit down the list in the top goalscorers charts. I haven't managed to catch many games so far, but what's the chances of him turning up the heat and shoot to the top? Is the 5/2 2nd favourite available realistic? Are Brazil playing Neymar, Pato and Damiao up front?

Have a bet on Brazil/Neymar, so thinking of trying to cover it by sticking a few quid on Damiao at 8/1 and leaving Konate alone?

Comment

Don't think Damiao is guaranteed to start, Neymar definitely will, pretty sure Hulk too, he was only rested for last game of groups cos of a yellow card. toss up between Pato and Damiao then Id guess. I'd probably put a little on Konate if I wanted to lay off a bit.

Comment

Archery quarter-final time now.

Comment

#98
                                                                              Like Murray +2.5 in the tennis. Djokovic hasn't been at his best during either Wimbledon and think the best of 3 set format suits Murray better against the bigger players.
                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

#99
                                                                                Phew!!!!!!! Dai gets through in a shootoff. I don't fancy his chances against the guy I mentioned earlier though.

Comment

Sick match for Dai. Needed to win the last set to tie. ended up chopping it, but one of his 9s was ruled a 10 when they examined the sheet and he went on to win the one arrow shootout!

Comment

Go X go. He has the nerve anyway. 2 shootouts won today

Clutch Archery!

Comment

Jesus, best sweat I've had in a while there on Dai! Thanks for the tip!
                                                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Anyone know how many paid on the e/w?

Comment

Anyone know how many paid on the e/w?
                                                                                          1, 2, 3 I believe
                                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                                            1, 2, 3 I believe
                                                                                            Pretty stingy in a 64 man field!

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                  Do the losers of the next two matches play off for bronze?
                                                                                                  yeah unfortunately, I actually assumed that both losing semi-finalists got bronze (like in boxing) but by the looks of things there's a bronze medal match
                                                                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Can't believe I got so little on this...stupid bet365 not having him listed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                      Oh Jin is quite the looker

Speaking of lookers, i think we should all get on Leryn Franco @ 113/1 for the Javelin. She might not win, but who gives a fuck. Worth a sweat

SPOILER

Comment

aoksdjhfohdhg

A 10 in the shootoff would have done it but a great sweat. Hopefully he can take the bronze.

Comment

winning the match from 4-0 down definitely is a nice bonus for Dai. Sickened he couldn't manage to win the semi
                                                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Dai wins the bronze in a shootoff, great tip and great sweat from that with all the shootoffs.

Thanks mugsy. I think he deserves a tag for that Kev!

Something like 'would shoot an apple off your head' or 'straight arrow' or something like that.
                                                                                                            Last edited by eagle eye; 03-08-12, 15:32.

Comment

Cheers Mugsy

Shipped a nice few $$ on that.

Comment

OH Jin Hyek runs away with the final 7-1.

Comment

anyone watch the medal ceremony? the smile on Takahura's face was priceless
                                                                                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

something like this

Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Had to get on to PP there. They had my bet down as a losing bet but I backed Dai each way with 3 places paid.

Comment

Cheers mugsy great shout. You made a very entertaining sport more entertaining.

SPOILER

Comment

Had to get on to PP there. They had my bet down as a losing bet but I backed Dai each way with 3 places paid.
                                                                                                                          same actually, checked the bet after you said it and saw they had it down as losing. I got onto live support and they are passing it onto the settlement to see if there's an error. Same for you?

edit: got sorted within a few minutes
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Jam-Fly; 03-08-12, 15:48.
                                                                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X