Back to training!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to training!

Between the end of the summer last year up until Mid November I was really dedicated to training. I reach an all time low body Fat of 6.3% and weighed in at 83 kilos. Mid november I had a few health issue which have since been sorted but it really but a hold on my training and then I just got lazy and stopped doing anything at all!

So ive decided I'm going to get back into it and this blog is going to be an extra motivator. Ive also decided that at the end of April I'm going to run the Samsung Dublin 10k run as most of my workouts usually are weights based and very little cardio aside from some boxing. Im going to be updating the blog daily(well the days I train on) and detail what my workouts entail. I have also stopped drinking for the forseeable future so hopefully this will help me stay off that aswell!

Starting Weight: 81kgs
    Starting Body Fat Percentage: 13.5%

Day 1:
    Cardio
    Treadmill run - 3 kilometre run - 15.00 mins
    Weight Training Chest Day
    *8 reps for all sets*
    Bench Press - Set 1 - 3 40kg Set 4 45kg
    Free Weight Upper Chest Machine -
    Set 1 20kg
    Set 2 25kg
    Set 3 30kg
    Set 4 35kg
    Free Weight Chest Press Machine-
    Set 1 20kg
    Set 2 25kg
    Set 3 25kg
    Set 4 30kg to fail
    Incline Dumbell Flys
    Set 1 12kg
    Set 2 12kg
    Set 3 14kg
    Set 4 14kg
    Incline Dumbell Bench Press
    Set 1 12kg
    Set 2 12kg
    Set 3 14kg
    Set 4 14kg
    Cable Cross flys
    Set 1 27kg
    Set 2 27kg
    Set 3 32kg
    Set 4 32kg

It was a decent day in the gym considering I'm just getting back into it was feeling great after. The run was really poor but i'd say i will build it back up fairly quickly. Ive always found that diet is so key to this type of training so i'll include that in this aswell.

Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs(2 egg whites, 1 egg yolk), Half tin of sugar free beans, 2 slices of granary bread, 1 scoop protein shake
    After gym - 2 scoop protein shake
    Lunch - 1 chicken fillet, 2 boiled eggs
    Snack - 4 rice cakes with jam
    Dinner - 2 chicken fillets with mixed veg
    Ill probably have something small before I go to bed depending on how hungry I am.

I don't claim to be an expert in any of this at all feel free to post opinions etc.

Day 2

Cardio:
    Boxing - heavy bag - variation of combo's 1 min on, 30 second rest x 8
    Weights - Leg Day:
    Squats
    Set 1 40kg
    Set 2 45kg
    Set 3 50kg
    Set 4 55kg
    Set 5 60kg
    Set 6 65kg
    Set 7 70kg
    Set 8 75kg to fail
    Weighted Lunges
    Set 1 - 4 14kg dumbells
    Rear Kicks
    Set 1 25kg each leg
    Set 2 30kg
    Set 3 35kg
    Set 4 35kg
    Leg Press
    Set 1 40kg
    Set 2 45kg
    Set 3 50kg
    Set 4 50kg
    Standing Calf raises
    Set 1 - 4 15kg dumbell

Pretty satisfied with todays workout. My legs were in bits after it however. Thats the most I've ever managed to do in squats so thats always good. I decided to do boxing today instead of a run as the treadmills were all in use when I arrived and I just really felt like doing a bit of boxing.

Diet has been good and pretty similar to yesterday.
    Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs, half tin of sugar free beans and 2 slices of granary bread and one scoop protein shake.
    After Gym - 2 scoop protein shake
    Lunch - 1 Chicken fillet, 2 slices of lean low fat bacon, 1 slice of cheese, 1 slice of granary bread, small bit of coleslaw
    Dinner - Havent quite decided, but it will probably be either 2 pieces of lean meat or fish and some mixed veg
    Snack - going out to play live poker tonight as I need a break from online so I will probably have something small when I come in like a yoghurt and 1 piece of fruit.

The protein I am using is called Gener8 Strength which has a mix of Vitargo and Creatine which I have found very effective in the past.

Comment

Gl man will follow progress. Trying to drop another 16-18 lbs myself so on a bit of a similar diet by the looks of it. I cut out all bread but i do get cravings for it what is the granary bread like? Easy to find?

Comment

Yeah man bread is such a weakness for me, i usually only have it with breakfast before the gym but i felt i needed it today haha! nah granary bread is real easy to find, most shops will have it. Brennans do a version and you'll find it in nearly any centra/londis etc

Comment

Have you considered doing your lunges with a barbell as opposed to dumbells? i.e. just take it out of the squat rack and take a few extra steps back. I find it a superior way to do it as the weight is more balanced.

I'd suggest getting rid of the leg press machine btw.

Similarly for your chest routine, I'd suggest cutting out the chest press machine and cable cross stuff, putting in more reps at lower weights when benching and working up to heavier working sets of five. I think you can achieve more in a shorter time span.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
            Have you considered doing your lunges with a barbell as opposed to dumbells? i.e. just take it out of the squat rack and take a few extra steps back. I find it a superior way to do it as the weight is more balanced.

I'd suggest getting rid of the leg press machine btw.

Similarly for your chest routine, I'd suggest cutting out the chest press machine and cable cross stuff, putting in more reps at lower weights when benching and working up to heavier working sets of five. I think you can achieve more in a shorter time span.
            Yeah somebody has suggested that to me before, i have yet to try it and will do the next day. My reasoning behind using the dumbells is I feel i can get a lower lunge and then reach at the end. i actually never use the leg press its just been a while since Ive done legs and found myself drawing a blank when I was in there! What is the benefit of the sets of five as opposed to sets of 8? My understanding is that the more reps your doing the more muscle fibers you're actually tearing?

Comment

Originally posted by drive56 View Post
              What is the benefit of the sets of five as opposed to sets of 8? My understanding is that the more reps your doing the more muscle fibers you're actually tearing?
              In very basic terms. 5 reps for stength gains, 8 reps for size gains. The two aren't directly proportional.
              Its kinda to do with the muscle fibres you mentioned. Not so much that you are tearing more. Its the way you are tearing them, and the way that your body responds.

Comment

Day 3

Cardio:
                --------
                Weights: Back Day

Deadlift
                Set 1 50kg
                Set 2 55kg
                Set 3 60kg
                Set 4 65kg
                Set 5 70kg
                Set 6 75kg
                Weighted Hyper Extensions
                Set 1 10kg plate
                Set 2 15kg plate
                Set 3 20kg plate
                Set 4 20kg plate
                Bent over Barbell rows
                Set 1 40kg
                Set 2 45kg
                Set 3 50kg
                Set 4 50kg
                Seated weighted row
                Set 1 60kg
                Set 2 65kg
                Set 3 70kg
                Set 4 70kg
                Face Pulls
                Set 1 30kg
                Set 2 35kg
                Set 3 40kg
                Set 4 50kg
                Dumbell Push up row
                Set 1 - 4 10kg dumbells

Didn't have a lot of time in the gym today as I was going to be late to work so unfortunatley missed my run again however going to start getting really strict with it now and Im going to try get a steady 5k out tomorrow. I'm not worried about the time at all just want to go the distance. I was happy with my back session today. My deadlift is slowly getting way better and Ive really been concentrating on technique and can feel an increase in strength.

Diet could have been better today.
                Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, half tin of sugar free beans, 2 slices of white bread and 1 scoop protein shake
                After Gym - 2 Scoop protein shake
                Lunch - 1 wrap with lean chicken, cheese, and coleslaw
                Dinner - 2 chicken fillets, broccoli and coleslaw
                Snack - yoghurt and fruit probably

Comment

Day 4

Today's excercise had to be put on hold. Working a full day 9 - 5.30 and was asked to do a trial for a job in restaurant tonight and can't really pass that up and I have an exam tomorrow morning I have to study for so it looks to be a long night. I'm going to try fit in the 5k run I planned tonight depending on how the study's going but I don't think I'll be able to fit it in.
                  Diet has been steady though.

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, half tin of sugar free beans and 2 slices of bread.
                  Lunch: 1 wholemeal wrap, lean chicken, cheese and coleslaw (definitley room for improvement)
                  Snack: ----- probably wont get time as Ill be rushing to my trial.
                  Dinner: 1 Piece of fish( probably haddock) and vegetables
                  Snack: Unsure yet as it depends on the hour i stay up studying until

I tend not to take any protein on days that I am not training because the training I am trying to do is aimed at decreasing body fat and increasing lean muscle and I feel that for me personally there will be too many calories in the shakes and I feel I risk putting on extra percentage when I havent been training. Can anyone shed any light on this, whether my info is accurate or not? Or maybe suggesting just one shake or something??

Cheers,

Drive

Comment

Originally posted by drive56 View Post
                    I tend not to take any protein on days that I am not training because the training I am trying to do is aimed at decreasing body fat and increasing lean muscle and I feel that for me personally there will be too many calories in the shakes and I feel I risk putting on extra percentage when I havent been training. Can anyone shed any light on this, whether my info is accurate or not? Or maybe suggesting just one shake or something??
                    Putting on muscle requires excess calories. Dropping body fat requires a calories deficit. In an ideal world, the body could use bodyfat for energy and protein to build muscle. But your body is very efficient, it doesn't naturally create extra work like that.

Based on your stats, I'd eat 300-500 calories over maintenance, and make sure you are getting 150-200g protein a day. And keep lifting of course. Remember if you add muscle alone your bf% drops, even though your total fat is the same. Even adding some fat along with mucle is fine, as your frame is now bigger and bf% is around the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      Putting on muscle requires excess calories. Dropping body fat requires a calories deficit. In an ideal world, the body could use bodyfat for energy and protein to build muscle. But your body is very efficient, it doesn't naturally create extra work like that.

Based on your stats, I'd eat 300-500 calories over maintenance, and make sure you are getting 150-200g protein a day. And keep lifting of course. Remember if you add muscle alone your bf% drops, even though your total fat is the same. Even adding some fat along with mucle is fine, as your frame is now bigger and bf% is around the same.
                      Thanks for the advice man, I've never really bothered analysing how much protein I take a day so i should probably start doing that. Its pointless if I take too much or too little. Cheers

Comment

Having none would make building muscle near impossible. So getting any in is the right direction.
                        There's an upper limit of course after that its used for energy so still useful. 1g per lb of bodyweight is prob enough to meet anyone's needs for muscle building, after that it gets harder to get it in. Very hard to over eat protein.

Comment

Protein is the nuts. Can't get enough of it in you tbh. I'd be aiming for 200g+ a day myself on my current programme + diet.

Comment

Day 5

Busiest day yesterday so I didnt get time to update at all. Left the house at 5am and didnt get home until mindnight. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I have played squash fairly competitively since I was quite young and at the moment I am just playing a league match once a week on a wednesday as Ive lost the desire to play at all really. So I had no gym session yesterday. I was going to have one in the morning but I had a match in the evening so I thought the better of it. Also had an exam in the morning and was in work straight after so wasnt much time!

Diet was ok althought I barely had time to eat much and just kind of grabbed things on the go.
                            Breakfast: 2 slices of granary bread (5:00am) and 2 poached eggs, beans and 2 slices of granary bread(11:00am)
                            Lunch: 1 soft brown roll, chicken and stuffing(6:00pm)
                            Dinner: 1 small piece of Lasagne (9:00pm)

Played a solid hour of high pace squash so all was not lost with the day. Going to try put in a good solid effort for the next week, just unfortunate that the first week of this log had to be such a busy week. Anyway still pleased enough Ive been sticking to my diet for the most part and havent been drinking at all.

Comment

Day 6

Cardio:
                              5k run in 27:00
                              Weights:
                              Squats
                              Set 1 - 20kg
                              Set 2 - 50kg
                              Set 3 - 60kg
                              Set 4 - 65kg
                              Set 5 - 70kg
                              Set 6 - 75kg
                              Set 7 - 80kg
                              Set 8 - 80kg P.B*
                              Weighted Lunges using Bar
                              Set 1 - 20kg
                              Set 2 - 30kg
                              Set 3 - 40kg
                              Set 4 - 40kg
                              Shoulder Press
                              Set 1 - 20kg
                              Set 2 - 30kg
                              Set 3 - 35kg
                              Set 4 - 35kg
                              Cable cross Flys
                              Set 1 - 32kg each side
                              Set 2 - 32kg
                              Set 3 - ??
                              Set 4 - ??
                              Dumbell Shoulder Press
                              Set 1 - 12kg
                              Set 2 - 14kg
                              Set 3 - 16kg
                              Set 4 - 16kg

All in all I was pretty pleased with my day for the fact that I was so exhausted and really didnt want to go. From reading the previous entries it should be clear I usually seperate weight sessions into different body parts on different days but today I had no choice but to take whatever was free in the gym. When the squatting rack was free I just decided to do squats because I have a habit of doing back day way too much because its my favourite. The lunges I tried were bar bells on lucky lloyds recommendation, definitley found them very effective and think I'll switch to them as opposed to dumbells. Was really pleased I got the 5k out. Im going to work on improving the 5k for the next week or so before I go to 6k etc.

Diet was decent for the day but I dont think I ate enough throughout the day and I had some chips in the evening(only half a portion) because I was out with the girlfriend for dinner, however I did not drink so result!
                              Breakfast - Porridge, 2 slices of granary bread
                              Lunch - 1 wrap, chicken, cheese, coleslaw.
                              Dinner - 8oz sirloin steak, half a portion of chips.

Really going to put that extra effort in for the next few weeks on the diet, well everything actually as I'm off college for the next 2 weeks. Also going to hit the online grind pretty hard and try and get a routine going for the next few weeks with gym and then grinding.
                              Last edited by drive56; 02-03-12, 09:51.

Comment

Day 7

So I havent updated since day 6! but i have been training really hard and I was also hittin the online grind(with a few near wins) so thats why I havent updated the blog but fortunatley I have everything written down so I can just type it up!

Day 7 was an easy day I decided to take and just did a 4k run at a steady pace and stuck to my diet all day.

Comment

Day 8

Cardio:
                                  5k run - 26mins43secs.
                                  Weights: Arms day
                                  DipsSet 1 - 4 BW
                                  Incline dumbell curls
                                  Set 1 12kg
                                  Set 2 12kg
                                  Set 3 14kg
                                  Set 4 14kg
                                  Skull crushers (EZ bar) weight excludes bar
                                  Set 1 10kg
                                  Set 2 15kg
                                  Set 3 15kg
                                  Set 4 15kg
                                  Standing Bar bell curlsSet 1 20kg
                                  Set 2 30kg
                                  Set 3 30kg
                                  Set 4 35kg
                                  Preacher Curl
                                  Set 1 10kg
                                  Set 2 15kg
                                  Set 3 15kg
                                  Set 4 10kg
                                  Cable Pushdown
                                  I cant remember what exact weight but 4 sets and last set used all the weight

Was a decent session especially with the 5k run I was delighted with. Did it with a good bit of ease and the first two minutes were walking pace. I had a designated cheat meal saturday night which included a gigantic pizza meal from dominos which I thoroughly enjoyed.
                                  Last edited by drive56; 06-03-12, 16:49.

Comment

Day 9

Cardio:
                                    5k run - 26mins30secs
                                    Deadlift Set 4 onwards 5 reps
                                    Set 1 50kg
                                    Set 2 55kg
                                    Set 3 60kg
                                    Set 4 65kg
                                    Set 5 70kg
                                    Set 6 80kg
                                    Set 7 85kg P.B*
                                    Bent Over barbell row
                                    Set 1 40kg
                                    Set 2 45kg
                                    Set 3 45kg
                                    Set 4 50kg
                                    Set 5 55kg
                                    Set 6 55kg P.B*
                                    Push up rows
                                    Set 1 - 4 12kg dumbells
                                    Seated weighted row
                                    Set 1 50kg
                                    Set 2 60kg
                                    Set 3 70kg
                                    Set 4 75kg to fail
                                    Hyperextensions
                                    Set 1 15kg plate
                                    Set 2 15kg plate
                                    Set 3 20kg plate
                                    Set 4 20kg plate

Was really delighted with that day. Hit two personal bests and I am really starting to feel the difference in strength and fitness. Im tired of writing in my exact diet in each time as I dont really vary it that often so I am only going to write in stuff if there is a discrepency or Im trying something new etc. I am now using a pre workout supplement known as S.A.W. which is similar to Jack3d or no explode. I know there are bound to be various comments about the benefits or draw backs of these supplements and everybodys entitled to their opinion but i personally find them useful.

Comment

Day 10

Cardio:
                                      5k run, dont have exact time but similar to yesterday
                                      Weights: Chest Day
                                      Bench Press (sets of 5)
                                      Set 1 40kg
                                      Set 2 45kg
                                      Set 3 50kg
                                      Set 4 50kg
                                      Set 5 50kg
                                      Set 6 50kg
                                      Incline Dumbell Bench PressSet 1 12.5kg dumbells
                                      Set 2 15kg
                                      Set 3 17.5kg
                                      Set 4 17.5kg
                                      Dumbell FlysSet 1 10kg
                                      Set 2 12kg
                                      Set 3 12kg
                                      Set 4 14kg
                                      Upper Chest free weight machine
                                      Set 1 20kg
                                      Set 2 30kg
                                      Set 3 35kg
                                      Set 4 35kg
                                      Cable cross flysSet 1 - 4 not sure of exact weight as I just wrote down improvement!

Chest day has always been my most hated day, I dont know why but I find it so difficult, in saying that I am definitley seeing improvements. training on 50kg on my own is a personal best. Oh and when I write P.B that is not my max lift, its just my max training for reps. Was quite pleased but hopefully with a good bit of effort being put in I can boost it up pretty quickly.

Comment

Day 11

Progress Update so Far:

Starting weight:
                                        81kgs - Current Weight 83.5kgs (+2.5kgs)
                                        Starting Body Fat: 13.5% - Current Body Fat 10.02% (-3.48%)

Really happy so far with the progress Ive made. I am definitley happy I put on the weight and lost the body fat as the aim is to put on lean muscle and drop fat. My measurements were all taken again by my P.T and my waist has dropped by 1 inch. I have put on inch on in my legs (thights and calfs) which I expected and am pleased about. My chest has also gotten bigger, however my biceps have remained the same.

I have a friend studying to be a personal trainer and asked me if he could train me once a week so he can get some practice so I said most definitley and had my first session today. There were two of us myself and one of my best mates who has literally never done any sort of weight training. We were both doing the same circuit (obviously weight adjusted for each of us) and we were doing 10 reps in each part of the circuits. We did 5 laps of this circuit in total.

1. Squats - Set 1- 40kg 2 - 50kg 3 - 60kg 4 - 70kg 5 - 80kg (All 10 reps excpet final set of 7)
                                        2. Bent over Dumbell rows - Set 1 - 17.5kg 2 - 17.5kg 3 - 20kg 4 - 20kg 5 - 22.5kg
                                        3. Incline Dumbell Bench Press - Set 1 - 15kg 2 - 15kg 3 - 17.5kg 4 - 17.5kg 5 - 17.5kg
                                        4. Kneeling Dumbell Shoulder press - Set 1 - 10kg 2 - 4 12.5kg 5 - 10kg
                                        5. Weighted Wall sit - Set 1 - no weight 2 - 5kg 3 - 10kg 4 - 15kg 5 - 15kg (Each set was for 1 minute except final set which was 1.30.

We finished off with 1 set of small cardio workout. straight plank and 2 side planks for 30 seconds on each. Russian Twists with medicine ball for 1 min. and 1 more thing I have no idea what its called but It was also not enjoyable!

Tough session but delighted mainly about getting the sets of 10 out in the squats and overall the fact that I didnt stop once unless I was allocated a break on 1 minute.

Comment

Day 12

Cardio:
                                          ------
                                          Weights: Shoulder Day
                                          Barbell Shoulder Press
                                          Set 1 20kg
                                          Set 2 30kg
                                          Set 3 35kg
                                          Set 4 30kg
                                          Set 5 35kg
                                          Seated Shoulder Press (Free weight machine)
                                          Set 1 20kg
                                          Set 2 30kg
                                          Set 3 30kg
                                          Set 4 35kg to fail
                                          Lateral Dumbell Raises
                                          Set 1 8kg
                                          Set 2 8kg
                                          Set 3 10kg
                                          Set 4 8kg
                                          Front Dumbell Raises
                                          Set 1 - 4 8kg
                                          Upright Rows (ez bar)
                                          Set 1 20kg
                                          Set 2 20kg
                                          Set 3 25kg
                                          Set 4 20kg
                                          Rear Lateral Raise (Seated dumbells)
                                          Set 1 10kg
                                          Set 2 14kg
                                          Set 3 14kg
                                          Set 4 14kg
                                          Barbell arm thrusts (no idea what the real name is)
                                          Set 1 30kg
                                          Set 2 35kg
                                          Set 3 37.5kg
                                          Set 4 40kg P.B*

This is my most hated day of all but im really going to start doing it more often as my shoulders are the weakest part of my body. I had a good session despite despising it. Im going to add in Overhead squats, hang cleans and shrugs which I forgot to do today. Wasn;t in the mood to do a run today and planned on doing a bit of boxing work on the bag but I forgot my gloves and refuse to use the ones in the gym!

Comment

Wow at your progress. I'm trying to drop body fat as well and am getting there gradually but your progress is insane. I'll have to give this a proper read later and come back with some questions!

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                              Wow at your progress. I'm trying to drop body fat as well and am getting there gradually but your progress is insane. I'll have to give this a proper read later and come back with some questions!
                                              Thanks man, trying to give as accurate an account as possible of what im doing. My body tends to react really well when I start something like this, no idea why, but im not complaining!!

Comment

Day 13

Cardio:
                                                -------
                                                Weights: P.T session - Circuit
                                                1. Leg Raises(10 reps) - Set 1 - 10kg 2 - 15kg 3 - 20kg 4 - 25kg 5- 30kg
                                                2. Weighted lunges on step (Dumbells - 12 reps each leg) - Set 1 - 15kg 2 - 4 - 17.5kg 5 - 20kg
                                                3. Flat Dumbell Bench Press(10 reps) - Set 1 - 15kg 2 - 15kg 3 - 17.5kg 4 - 20kg 5 - 22.5kg
                                                4. Tricep Extensions(10 reps) - Set 1 - 7.5kg 2 - 8kg 3 - 10kg 4 - 8kg 5 - 8kg
                                                5. Push Ups - Set 1 - 5 15 reps
                                                6. Barbell Shrugs - Set 1 - 5 38kg

I was fairly happy with my session. I could have definitley done more on the tricep extension but I found my form wavered slightly as I went up so I decided that was more important. Usually these sessions have little rest time and as a result are about fat burning as well as strength but I do the session with a mate of mine who has never done any weight training before and finds it very difficult and has gotten sick in both of our sessions so that slows me up a bit and gives me extra rest time so until he gets more used to it Im going to do them on my own. I have moved on to taking a new protein which should be quite effective. It is called USN Pure Protein. It has 40grams of protein per serving, around 200 cals and only 2.2grams of carbohydrates. It has casein and whey in it and I will be taking it twice a day. Once after the gym and then once at night before bed. I think this will be most effective as I find myself getting hungry in the evening and then wanting to eat shit. Going to do a run tomorrow and get out 6k and also do back day.

Comment

Day 14

Just have to edit something with the progress so far. My initial starting weight was actually 82kgs and not 81kg so I have actually gained 1.5kg as opposed to 2.5kg as originally stated.

Cardio:
                                                  --------
                                                  Deadlifts
                                                  Set 1 50kg
                                                  Set 2 60kg
                                                  Set 3 70kg
                                                  Set 4 80kg
                                                  Set 5 85kg(5 reps)
                                                  Set 6 90kg(4 reps) P.B*
                                                  Bent over Barbell Rows
                                                  Set 1 20kg
                                                  Set 2 30kg
                                                  Set 3 40kg
                                                  Set 4 45kg
                                                  Set 5 50kg
                                                  Set 6 55kg P.B*
                                                  Bent over Dumbell Rows
                                                  Set 1 20kg
                                                  Set 2 22kg
                                                  Set 3 24kg
                                                  Set 4 26kg
                                                  Seated weighted rows
                                                  Set 1 40kg
                                                  Set 2 60kg
                                                  Set 3 70kg
                                                  Set 4 75kg
                                                  Hyperextensions
                                                  Set 1 15kg
                                                  Set 2 20kg
                                                  Set 3 20kg
                                                  Set 4 20kg
                                                  Lat pull downs(Behind head)
                                                  Set 1 40kg
                                                  Set 2 50kg
                                                  Set 3 50kg
                                                  Set 4 55kg
                                                  Push Up dumbell rows
                                                  Set 1 - 3 14kg dumbells

Really happy with the session. Found the 90kg deadlift difficult but more so on grip than anything. I was pretty tired after this session, I didnt take much of a rest between sets. I am going to put in an arm session tomorrow morning. I am debating playing the student masters tomorrow also which starts at twelve I think so It will depend if I get up on time. I dont know if I will though as Im honestly just not sure If Im bothered tbh. Ive started eating more fish in the evening for dinner with beans and veg which Im sure is going to keep the body fat down. I will be analysing my bf % again in another 2 weeks to see if more adjustments need to be made. Going to have a cheat meal also at some point this weekend and have a rest day sunday.
                                                  If anyone has any suggestions on how I could improve let me know, Ive incorporated some suggestions already and they seem to be working really well.

Comment

Looks pretty good. You've got a nice balance of exercises from day to day and all muscles are getting worked. This is good.

Comment

Day 15

Cardio:
                                                      Did a few combos on the heavy bag for boxing but nothing major
                                                      Weights: Arm Day
                                                      Skull Crushers(excludes bar weight)
                                                      Set 1 10kg
                                                      Set 2 15kg
                                                      Set 3 20kg
                                                      Set 4 20kg P.B*
                                                      Preacher Curls(excludes bar weight)
                                                      Set 1 10kg
                                                      Set 2 15kg
                                                      Set 3 15kg
                                                      Set 4 17.5kg P.B*
                                                      Barbell Curls
                                                      Set 1 20kg
                                                      Set 2 30kg
                                                      Set 3 32.5kg
                                                      Set 4 32.5kg
                                                      Reverse Curls with EZ bar(excludes bar weight)
                                                      Set 1 - 4 10kg
                                                      Cable Pull downs
                                                      Set 1 30kg
                                                      Set 2 40kg
                                                      Set 3 45kg
                                                      Set 4 50kg
                                                      Weighted Ab crunchers
                                                      Set 1 60kg
                                                      Set 2 70kg
                                                      Set 3 100kg
                                                      Set 4 110kg

Decent session. I was pretty tired because I havent had a rest day in a bit. Going to have one tomorrow. I may do a run in the evening depending on how the online grind goes. Decided against playing the student masters, just hadnt got the urge to play and when that happens theres just no point in me playing. I havent drank now in 3 weeks and while thats not an achievement for most It is for me!! Also went out last night and avoided all temptation so pretty happy. Also knowing that I was going to have a cheat meal today got me through. Knowing that I get to have one cheat meal a week is really great for avoiding temptation and I just eat whatever I want for that meal and dont feel guilty about it.

Comment

Day 16

Rest Day!! Decided to take the day off from weights today. I am going to plan this out more long term now and set goals more often. At the moment I dont really have any strength goals so i think that will keep the motivation going and Its always a great feeling hitting goals.

So I tend to struggle a bit with my own body weight exercises such as pull ups, push ups etc. So here are the goals for the next month.

1. Pull ups - Going to start small here and I just want to get out 10 pull ups in the next month.
                                                        2. Push Ups - I can get out about 20 but I plan on being able to do 50 in one months time.
                                                        3. Dips - In November I was able to do weighted dips up to 17.5kg and I presume I havent lost too much strength so I really want to try get it back up again.

To achieve this I am going to do each of these at the start of each gym session and I am sure I will hit these goals in one months time.
                                                        I am also giving up smoking starting tomorrow. At the moment I smoke 20 a day and i am going to be using Nicorette gum. I have tried to quit a few times and usually what happens is I do well for a few weeks and then I go on the beer and all is lost. So as Im off the drink now I think it would be the perfect opportunity.

As for cutting carbs and trying to shed the body fat. I am going to continue my low carb diet until mid April. Then I will start to do a bit of a bulk for until the start of June. At the beginning of June I am going to do a big cut again before I go away in mid July (nothing definite but I imagine I will go away for a week or 2).

As for today I know its a rest day but I want to do something so I might go for a run later and do some boxing.

Comment

Day 17

I was really pissed off at this session. I dont know why because I hit 2 P.Bs but I just didnt feel like I was giving it my all.

Cardio:
                                                          Boxing on heavy bag
                                                          Barbell Bench Press
                                                          Set 1 20kg
                                                          Set 2 40kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 2 45kg 5 reps
                                                          Set 3 50kg 5 reps
                                                          Set 4 55kg 3 reps
                                                          Set 5 55kg 5 reps P.B*
                                                          Set 6 50kg 7 reps
                                                          Set 1 16kg 6 reps
                                                          Set 2 16kg 6 reps
                                                          Set 3 18kg 6 reps
                                                          Set 4 18kg 6 reps
                                                          Set 5 20kg 5 reps P.B*
                                                          Free Weight Upper Chest machine
                                                          Set 1 30kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 2 35kg 6 reps
                                                          Set 3 35kg 6 reps
                                                          Set 4 35kg 6 reps
                                                          Machine Pec Flys
                                                          Set 1 30kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 2 40kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 3 50kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 4 50kg 8 reps
                                                          Weighted Chest Pull Downs
                                                          Set 1 60kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 2 70kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 3 70kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 4 70kg 8 reps
                                                          Cable Flys
                                                          Set 1 56kg 6 reps
                                                          Set 2 56kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 3 64kg 8 reps
                                                          Set 4 64kg 6 reps

I didnt begin any of the goals I set today simply because I just forgot about them as I started a new job this morning and my head was all over the place!! but im not too worried ill just start tomorrow. I made the decision late last night not to give up smoking today, just because Its a new job and its going to be stressful at the beginning and I didnt want to begin and fail so Ive just decided to wait until I get settled in work.

Comment

Day 18

Today was probably the physically toughest session Ive done to date and probably the closest I have ever been to getting sick from excercise so i am pleased I hit it hard! It was a P.T session with my mate so it was good having someone screaming at me! All sets were for 10 reps and there were six stations.

Cardio:
                                                            --------
                                                            Weights: Personal Training Session - Circuit

1. Weighted Dumbell Lunges - 10 reps each leg - Set 1 - 15kg Set 2 - 15kg Set 3 - 17.5kg Set 4 - 17.5kg Set 5 - 17.5kg
                                                            2. Barbell Deadlifts - Set 1 - 40kg Set 2 - 40kg Set 3 - 60kg Set 4 - 60kg Set 5 - 60kg
                                                            3. Hyperextensions - Set 1 - 10kgplate Set 2 - 10kgplate Set 3 - 15kgplate Set 4 - 15kgplate Set 5 - 15kgplate
                                                            4. Inverted Rows - Set 1 - 5 10 reps
                                                            5. Bent over Dumbell Rows - Set 1 - 5 20kg
                                                            6. Standing Barbell Shoulder Press - Set 1 - 5 28kg

Still feel exhausted and have to go to work so I may have a lie in tomorrow and Ill do a legs session.

Comment

Day 19

Broke my first 100kg barrier today and im fucking delighted especially because I was going to give today a miss because after my hard gym session yesterday I worked an 11hour shift and I was in bits this morning.

Cardio:
                                                              --------
                                                              Weights: Leg Day
                                                              Squats
                                                              Set 1 50kg x 8
                                                              Set 2 60kg x 8
                                                              Set 3 70kg x 8
                                                              Set 4 80kg x 5
                                                              Set 5 85kg x 5
                                                              Set 6 90kg x 5
                                                              Set 7 95kg x 5
                                                              Set 8 100kg x 4 P.B*
                                                              Bar Bell Lunges
                                                              Set 1 20kg x 12 for all
                                                              Set 2 30kg
                                                              Set 3 40kg
                                                              Set 4 50kg
                                                              Weighted Rear Kicks
                                                              Set 1 20kg x 8 on each side for all sets
                                                              Set 2 25kg
                                                              Set 3 30kg
                                                              Set 4 35kg
                                                              Leg Press
                                                              Set 1 50kg x 8 for all
                                                              Set 2 60kg
                                                              Set 3 75kg
                                                              Set 4 90kg
                                                              Seated Leg Curls
                                                              Set 1 40kg x 8 for all
                                                              Set 2 50kg
                                                              Set 3 60kg
                                                              Set 4 70kg
                                                              Leg Extensions
                                                              Set 1 40kg
                                                              Set 2 50kg
                                                              Set 3 55kg
                                                              Set 4 60kg

Diet took a hit yesterday but it was forced. I had my usual good breakfast after the gym at about 11 and then didnt get any lunch until 6pm and all I could get was goujons and chips in work. When i got home from work at about 12 I had a protein shake and a sandwich with 2 fried eggs. I felt particularly weak and I needed carbs and protein to recover.

Comment

Day 20

Cardio:
                                                                10 Minutes boxing on heavy bag
                                                                Weights: Shoulder Day
                                                                Hang Cleans
                                                                Set 1 20kg x 8
                                                                Set 2 30kg x 8
                                                                Set 3 35kg x 8
                                                                Set 4 35kg x 5
                                                                Set 5 40kg x 5
                                                                Set 6 40kg x 5
                                                                Standing Barbell Shoulder Press
                                                                Set 1 20kg x 8
                                                                Set 2 30kg x 8
                                                                Set 3 35kg x 8
                                                                Set 4 35kg x 5
                                                                Barbell Shrugs
                                                                Set 1 40kg x 8
                                                                Set 2 50kg x 8
                                                                Set 3 60kg x 8
                                                                Set 4 60kg x 8
                                                                Seated Shoulder Press(Free weight machine)
                                                                Set 1 20kg x 8
                                                                Set 2 30kg x 8
                                                                Set 3 35kg x 5
                                                                Set 4 35kg x 5
                                                                Upright Barbell Row
                                                                Set 1 40kg x 8
                                                                Set 2 40kg x 8
                                                                Set 3 40kg x 8
                                                                Set 4 40kg x 8
                                                                Lateral Dumbell Raises
                                                                Set 1 10kg x 8
                                                                Set 2 10kg x 8
                                                                Set 3 10kg x 8
                                                                Set 4 10kg x 8
                                                                Front Dumbell Raises
                                                                Set 1 8kg x 8
                                                                Set 2 8kg x 8
                                                                Set 3 8kg x 8

Comment

Day 21

Rest day

Comment

Day 22

Cardio:
                                                                    ------
                                                                    Deadlifts
                                                                    Set 1 60kg x 8
                                                                    Set 2 70kg x 8
                                                                    Set 3 75kg x 5
                                                                    Set 4 75kg x 4
                                                                    Set 5 75kg x 4
                                                                    Set 6 80kg x 4
                                                                    Bent Over Barbell Rows
                                                                    Set 1 40kg x 8
                                                                    Set 2 45kg x 8
                                                                    Set 3 50kg x 8
                                                                    Set 4 55kg x 5
                                                                    Set 5 60kg x 5 P.B*
                                                                    Hyperextensions
                                                                    Set 1 15kg plate
                                                                    Set 2 15kg
                                                                    Set 3 20kg
                                                                    Set 4 20kg
                                                                    Seated Weighted Rows
                                                                    Set 1 40kg x 8
                                                                    Set 2 60kg x 8
                                                                    Set 3 70kg x 8
                                                                    Set 4 75kg x 8
                                                                    Set 5 80kg x 8 P.B*
                                                                    Standing Barbell Punches(no idea what theyre actually called)
                                                                    Set 1 35kg x 6 each arm
                                                                    Set 2 40kg x 6
                                                                    Set 3 45kg x 6
                                                                    Set 4 45kg x 6

Pretty shit session. Felt tired the whole time because ive been working so much. Im working another 10 - 12 hour shift tomorrow so Im going to take another rest day tomorrow and hopefully be recovered by monday and hit it pretty hard for the next week. My diet has been ok considering, but i really havent been eating enough at all. So going to try preparing stuff to bring in to work.

Comment

Day 23

Rest Day

Comment

Day 24

Cardio:
                                                                        ---------
                                                                        Bench Press
                                                                        Set 1 20kg x 12
                                                                        Set 2 40kg x 8
                                                                        Set 3 50kg x 5
                                                                        Set 4 60kg x 3
                                                                        Set 5 60kg x 3
                                                                        Set 6 60kg x 3 P.B*
                                                                        Set 1 15kg x 8
                                                                        Set 2 17.5kg x 5
                                                                        Set 3 20kg x 5
                                                                        Set 4 20kg x 5
                                                                        Incline Dumbell Flys
                                                                        Set 1 10kg x 8
                                                                        Set 2 10kg x 8
                                                                        Set 3 12.5kg x 8
                                                                        Set 4 12.5kg x 8
                                                                        Flat Bench Dumbell Pullover
                                                                        Set 1 - 4 20kg x 8
                                                                        Unsupported Dumbell Pullover(Half body on bench other half balancing)
                                                                        Set 1 12.5kg x 8
                                                                        Set 2 15kg x 8
                                                                        Set 3 17.5kg x 8
                                                                        Set 4 20kg x 8
                                                                        Set 5 20kg x 8

Was really happy with my session. I really struggle with my chest and to get 60kg even just for 3 reps I was really happy with. Im working so much lately that im going to struggle fitting in as many sessions with college and stuff. Diet is slipping. Im still eating the right things, but in work im really not getting any breaks because its so busy at the moment and working 12 hour shifts. Hoping thats just the weekend that was in it.
                                                                        Going to have an update of progress at some point this week with weight and body fat % and hopefully inches of waist, chest etc. Feel my waist has definitley dropped/

Comment

Day 25

Rest Day

Comment

Day 26

Cardio:
                                                                            6k cycle (to and from gym)
                                                                            Weights: Arms Day
                                                                            Skull Crushers (all excluding bar weight)
                                                                            Set 1 10kg x 8
                                                                            Set 2 15kg x 8
                                                                            Set 3 20kg x 6
                                                                            Set 4 25kg x 6
                                                                            Preacher Curl
                                                                            Set 1 10kg x 8
                                                                            Set 2 15kg x 8
                                                                            Set 3 20kg x 5(fail)
                                                                            Set 4 20kg x 3(fail)
                                                                            Standing Barbell Curls
                                                                            Set 1 20kg x 8
                                                                            Set 2 30kg x 8
                                                                            Set 3 35kg x 5
                                                                            Set 4 35kg x 5
                                                                            Reverse EZ bar curls(excluding bar)
                                                                            Set 1 20kg x 8
                                                                            Set 2 20kg x 8
                                                                            Set 3 20kg x 8
                                                                            Set 4 25kg x 5
                                                                            Overhead Tricep Extensions(cable cross)
                                                                            Set 1 35kg
                                                                            Set 2 40kg
                                                                            Set 3 45kg
                                                                            Set 4 50kg
                                                                            Standing Tricep Pulldowns
                                                                            Set 1 35kg
                                                                            Set 2 40kg
                                                                            Set 3 45kg
                                                                            Set 4 50kg
                                                                            Dips
                                                                            Set 1 BW
                                                                            Set 2 5kg
                                                                            Set 3 7.5kg
                                                                            Set 4 7.5kg

Comment

#39
                                                                              Day 27

Cardio:
                                                                              6K cycle
                                                                              Weights: Leg Day
                                                                              Squats
                                                                              Set 1 50kg x8
                                                                              Set 2 60kg x 5
                                                                              Set 3 70kg x 5
                                                                              Set 4 80kg x 4
                                                                              Set 5 80kg x 4
                                                                              Set 6 80kg x 4
                                                                              Barbell Lunges
                                                                              Set 1 40kg x 12
                                                                              Set 2 50kg x 12
                                                                              Set 3 50kg x 12
                                                                              Set 4 60kg x 6 P.B*
                                                                              Leg Extensions
                                                                              Set 1 20kg x 8
                                                                              Set 2 25kg x 8
                                                                              Set 3 30kg x 8
                                                                              Set 4 35kg x 8

Did some ab workouts aswell. Reduced weight on squats to really concentrate on depth and form. Definitley going that little bit further makes the squats a lot more difficult, but I was happy enough with the session.
                                                                              Last edited by drive56; 22-03-12, 21:11.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Progress

Starting Body Weight: 81kg
                                                                                [U]Current Body Weight: 83kg[/U]

Starting Body Fat:13.5%
                                                                                Current Body Fat: 9.5%

I had some debates with my coach in relation to my weight. Apparently he recorded my last weight at 84.5kgs, however I really dont think I was, i was almost positive it was 83kg. Anyway, nothing I can do about it now. Wasnt displeased or pleased about my results. I should definitley be doing better however I know it was because I have been working with little or no breaks and thus not enough time to eat. However my bicep size is up 1inch, my waist is down 1,5 inches and my chest has grown 1inch. My strength is also continuing to increase which is always good. So I am fairly pleased. Going to start preparing more lunches and upping the protein intake.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                X