180 x 1
    200 x 1
    210 x 1
    220 x 1
    230 x 1
    240 x 1 *PB*
    250 x 1 *PB*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crazy crazy day. Arrived at the gym with my game face on and extremely focused. Open my bag and lay everything out as usual. I like to follow the same changing room routine every session.

Got changed, took out my belt and I see the lever is broken. WTF? Talk about bad luck. This belt has done me proud over the last 5 years or so and is like an old friend. I was pretty pissed at this stage. Of all the things to go wrong. You just can't account for things like that.

Anyhow, got a lend of my mate's benching belt (which is not the same width all the way around) and made a frankenstein belt. Put his belt over my belt and tightened his belt to keep mine in place. I would not be detered. Although I really could have done without the stress before such a big workout!

My warm up felt really good and I knew things were going to go well. 220 x 1 was as light as a feather.

Stuck on my old PB of 230 and demolished it. However, I could definitely feel the pressure build up in my head right at the bottom of the hole.

Stuck the 240 on and my god it was smooth as silk. A PB shouldn't be that easy. Buzzing at this stage and confidence through the roof. Why stop here?

Quarter ton? No time like the present. It was definitely a bit more difficult but I know I still have at least another 5kg in the tank. You can tell from the vid.

Comment

Incredible lifts, well done.

Making a show of me

Think I'll have to move to a squat specific program when I get back from holidays
      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom! Seriously well done dude. Awesome achievement.

I'm back in the country today and am getting back into my training asap. 6 months of destroying myself in the bad way needs to be made up by 6 months of the good way.
        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Tuesday 21st August

Warm up: usual

Smolov Week 8 - Switching Phase - Workout 1

Low Bar Squat
          Bar x 5
          60 x 5
          100 x 4
          120 x 3
          140 x 3
          <belt and wrist wraps on>
          160 x 2
          180 x 1
          200 x 1
          220 x 1

Negative Squat
          240 x 1
          255 x 1

Never did a negative before so really wasn't sure how to approach this. Worked up to 220 with conventional low bar squat technique. Then went negative from there.

CNS was pretty fried in all honesty from Sunday and found the whole workout quite difficult both mentally and physically. A comedown from Sunday was inevitable I suppose. Felt quite tired.

Glad to be done with the heavy stuff for the rest of the week.

Comment

Here's a bit more information on the two week switching phase I started tonight.

Switching

If you survived the first 6 weeks of Smolov, your probably now have legs that look like tree trunks. Great job. But we’re not home yet.

The switching phase is a period of rest. You will not be performing a set/rep pattern. Instead, Smolov recommends that you perform…various jumps and hops, deep squat jumps with a light barbell, moderate weight leg presses, squats with explosive thrust from the sticking point, etc. Perform all lifts and exercises in the switching phase with maximal explosion.

Smolov also recommends performing negative squats twice a week during this phase. Do NOT perform these explosively.

The switching phase is all about speed.

3 times per week. I'll focus on squat jumps, powercleans, light box squats and some other kind of plyo - probably box jumps.

Comment

Nice job
              With the PB.
              I've not done much lately with travelling.

Comment

Wow, awesome.

Great form too. Looked easy.

Comment

Thursday 23rd August

Warm up: essentials

Smolov Week 8 - Switching Phase - Workout 2

Powercleans
                  Bar x 5
                  40 x 5
                  50 x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

Box Jumps (Box set just below my waist)
                  BW x 8,8,8

Other non-related stuff

Bench Press
                  Bar x 5
                  40 x 5
                  60 x 5
                  80 x 3
                  100 x 1

Dumbell Preacher Curls
                  15 x 8,8,8

Smolov stuff was fine. It's all about light work and working on speed. My powerclean technique is rubbish. It'll do for this two week phase though.

My tendons are sore from squatting so gave up after the 100 rep on the bench. It was difficult to push when the bar was on my chest.

Comment

I love power cleans but why do they have to be so damn awkward. It's not like you can grind a max effort either, if it's not all there, it's a big noisey fail.
                    With your squat you should be well able to muscle up decent weight. Making it look pretty is a different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      I love power cleans but why do they have to be so damn awkward. It's not like you can grind a max effort either, if it's not all there, it's a big noisey fail.
                      With your squat you should be well able to muscle up decent weight. Making it look pretty is a different matter.
                      Agreed. Would love to get coached on them and oly lifts in order to do them properly.

Comment

Sunday 26th August

Warm up: essentials

Smolov Week 8 - Switching Phase - Workout 3

Box Squat
                        40 x 3,3,3
                        60 x 3,3,3
                        80 x 3
                        100 x 12 sets of 2

Other non-related stuff

Wide Grip T-Bar Row
                        50 x 8
                        70 x 8
                        80 x 8,8,8

Dumbell Lateral Raise
                        10 x 10,10,10

Face Pulls (Cable)
                        27 x 10
                        34 x 8,8

Box squats felt weird but in a good way. I could feel muscles being used that I've never worked before.

Nothing too heavy. Just trying to get the form down.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                          Agreed. Would love to get coached on them and oly lifts in order to do them properly.
                          Im in NY at the minute, if I can find a place to get weight lifting shoes I'll bring back power cleans.
                          Should help squats too. Maybe grab a belt while I'm at it.

Comment

How long you been squatting for Lurker?

I squatted 100kg for 4 reps today. I'm 6'0, 91kg. Been doing squats for about 6 months once a week.

I have no idea if this is good progress or not.

Comment

Took me a while, a few failed sets/reps in a few sessions to break 100kg Money.

Once a week means yeah its prob decent enough progress. I was doing them 3 times a week in SS and obv it went up a little faster. Good job though.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                How long you been squatting for Lurker?

I squatted 100kg for 4 reps today. I'm 6'0, 91kg. Been doing squats for about 6 months once a week.

I have no idea if this is good progress or not.
                                Barbell squatting since I was 17 or 18 so about 8 years. I was squatting on the dreaded smith machine for a few years before that though and also deep dumbell squats too.

Progress can only really be measured against yourself. I presume 6 months ago you couldn't squat for shit. Now = 100 x 4. Sounds good to me.

Expect to have to work your balls off as the weight goes up to keep making progress. You're coming to the point where newbie gains are going to slow down for sure.

Comment

Wednesday 29th August

Smolov Week 9 - Switching Phase - Workout 4

Powercleans
                                  Bar x 5
                                  40 x 5
                                  50 x 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3

Speed Leg Press
                                  40 x 8
                                  80 x 8
                                  120 x 8,8,8

Speed GHR
                                  BW x 8,8,8,8

Meh. Getting tired of this rubbish. Want to start the intense cycle. New lever for my belt came to day so I'll definitely start it next week.

I've been struggling with my lower abs the past few days. Think I may have an abdominal strain or something along those lines. Tried to do box jumps tonight and felt like someone was tugging on my insides down near the bowel area.

It's fine when I'm squatting - only bothers me when I extend my body. Not good though.

Due to the above I'm just going to do one more workout this instead of the prescribed two. Probably just some box squatting. Won't make much of a difference anyhow.

Fingers crossed it'll be ok with some rest. I'm used to having niggles but this ones feels a little bit different.

Comment

I got bored of the switching phase. I think a week is enough and I'm not efficient enough at powercleans or box squats to get what I'm supposed to be getting out of it.

Started the final cycle today. I'm using 95% of my max = 237.5kg. I would've been ok with 95% for the base mesocycle but obviously wanted to be cautious with it being my first time attempting smolov.

Intense Mesocycle

I know, I know. You froze when you read the work intense. What could be more intense then the base mesocycle? Ha! Comrade! Read on…

It is recommended that you train with full gear during the intense mesocycle.

NOTE: If you are dead 2 weeks into the intense mesocycle, you can cut back on weight by 5-7% WITHOUT cutting down on sets or reps.

Week # 1

Monday …65% x 3, 75% x 4, 85% x 4 x 3, 85% x 5
                                    Wednesday …60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80% x 4, 90% x 3, 85% x 5 x 2
                                    Saturday …65% x 4, 70% x 4, 80% x 4 x 5

Week # 2

Monday …60% x 4, 70% x 4, 80% x 4, 90% x 3, 90% x 4 x 2
                                    Wednesday …65% x 3, 75% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3 x 3, 95% x 3
                                    Saturday …65% x 3, 75% x 3, 85% x 4, 90% x 5 x 4

Week # 3

Monday …60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80% x 3, 90% x 5 x 5
                                    Wednesday …60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80% x 3, 95% x 3 x 2
                                    Saturday …65% x 3, 75% x 3, 85% x 3, 95% x 3 x 4

Week # 4

Monday …70% x 3, 80% x 4, 90% x 5 x 5
                                    Wednesday …70% x 3, 80% x 3, 95% x 3 x 4
                                    Saturday …75% x 3, 90% x 4, 95% x 4 x 3

Taper

Almost time for the competition. At this point, your wake up each night screaming, dreaming that your life has become one endless squat session after another.

Wear full competition gear during the one week taper period.

Monday …70% x 3, 80% x 3, 90% x 5 x 2, 95% x 4 x 3
                                    Tuesday …REST
                                    Wednesday …75% x 4, 85% x 4 x 4
                                    Thursday …REST
                                    Friday …REST
                                    Saturday …REST
                                    Sunday …COMPETITION DAY

Of course, most meets in west of Russia have meets on Saturday. Here is the recommended taper week for a Saturday meet…

Monday …REST
                                    Tuesday …75% x 4, 85% x 4 x 4
                                    Wednesday …REST
                                    Thursday …REST
                                    Friday …REST
                                    Saturday …COMPETITION DAY

Comment

Sunday 2nd September
                                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                      Warm-up: usual

Smolov Week 10 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 1

Low Bar Squat
                                      Bar x 5
                                      60 x 5
                                      100 x 4
                                      120 x 3
                                      *belt & wrist wraps on*
                                      140 x 1
                                      155 x 3
                                      177.5 x 4
                                      202.5 x 4,4,4,4
                                      202.5 x 5

Tough session. This is going to be a loooooong four weeks.

The first set of 202.5 x 4 was a proper grind. Got better as it went on. I had another rep or two in me on the last set.

Messed about with some of my new toys today. Got Titan knee sleeves and elbow sleeves delivered last week as a replacement for my Tommy Konos. I've been using the TKs for years and they're now worn down. Nice support from the Titans. Me likey.

Also tried some nose tork on the last set of 5. It's like smelling salts only more potent. The stuff is amazing but ridiculously strong. It's like someone slapped you in the face before your lift.

Comment

Tuesday 5th September
                                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        Warm-up: usual

Smolov Week 10 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 2

Low Bar Squat
                                        Bar x 5
                                        60 x 5
                                        80 x 4
                                        100 x 3
                                        120 x 3
                                        140 x 1
                                        *belt & wrist wraps on*
                                        142.5 x 3
                                        167.5 x 4
                                        190 x 4
                                        215 x 3
                                        202.5 x 5,5

Struggling with niggles and minor injuries. Hurt my groin in the warm ups doing single leg glute bridges. Bad enough for me to be limping a bit.

Said I'd give it a go and stop any time I felt pain during the squat. Felt some discomfort alright as the weight got heavier but nothing I couldn't handle.

Weird thing is it actually made me more focused and more determined. Probably because it pissed me off a bit.

I stormed through the 215 x 3 and had another 3 reps at least in the tank. That's encouraging as I've to do a disgusting 215 for 5x5 quite soon. 202.5 for 2 sets of 5 felt better than on Sunday.

Take it that every workout for the next 4 weeks involves a PB of some sort so wont bother sticking in the *PB* bit.

Gonna be sore in the morning

Comment

Saturday 8th September
                                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Smolov Week 10 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 3

Low Bar Squat
                                          Bar x 5
                                          60 x 5
                                          80 x 4
                                          100 x 3
                                          120 x 2
                                          140 x 1
                                          *belt & wrist wraps on*
                                          155.5 x 4
                                          167.5 x 4
                                          190 x 4,4,4,4,4
                                          -------------------------------------------------------------------

First top set was sloppy. Got better as I went on.

Comment

Monday 10th September

Smolov Week 11 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 4

Low Bar Squat
                                            Bar x 5
                                            60 x 5
                                            100 x 3
                                            120 x 3
                                            142.5 x 4
                                            167.5 x 4
                                            190 x 4
                                            215 x 3
                                            215 x 4,4

Fine. Feel great.

The rest of this program will push me to the limit. It's crazy when you see the numbers in the spreadsheet.

The dates are incorrect so don't mind them. I did 7th Sept today.

I've got a feeling I will do something pretty special on my max test in a few weeks but I suppose that's looking too far ahead. I've got to focus on one session at a time.

<3 how hard Smolov is pushing me. I'm such an adrenaline junkie.
                                            Last edited by Lurker23; 10-09-12, 19:57.

Comment

Them crazy Russians

Comment

Wednesday 12th September

Smolov Week 11 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 5

Low Bar Squat
                                                Bar x 5
                                                60 x 5
                                                100 x 3
                                                120 x 3
                                                140 x 1
                                                <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                155 x 3
                                                177.5 x 2
                                                202.5 x 3
                                                215 x 3,3,3
                                                225 x 3

Difficult but fun. I've settled on Wispa Gold as being my weapon of choice in between heavy sets. What a chocolate bar it is.

In other news, my thighs and particularly my ass are growing out of control. Down to 1 pair of baggy jeans that are now just about fitting plus I'm on my last pair of suit pants for work. This is the most annoying thing about Smolov no doubt.

Also getting fat but that's to be expected as I'm eating everything. Waist about 39 inches and I'm hovering at 100kg. I'll cut down when I finish the program so I don't have to buy a new wardobe.

Comment

Sunday 16th September

Smolov Week 11 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 6

Low Bar Squat
                                                  Bar x 5
                                                  60 x 5
                                                  100 x 4
                                                  120 x 3
                                                  140 x 1
                                                  <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                  155 x 3
                                                  177.5 x 3
                                                  202.5 x 4
                                                  215 x 5,5,5,5

Damn. Shit just got real.

That was pretty gruesome. First time I've felt pushed to my limit for the whole program. Last rep on sets 3 and 4 were real grinders. You know it's tough when the involuntary growl comes in on the last rep.

5x5 at that weight on Tuesday. Puke.

Comment

Tuesday 18th September

Warm up: usual + a bit more

Smolov Week 12 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 7

Low Bar Squat
                                                    Bar x 5
                                                    60 x 5
                                                    80 x 4
                                                    100 x 3
                                                    120 x 3
                                                    <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                    142.5 x 3
                                                    167.5 x 3
                                                    190 x 3
                                                    215 x 5,5,5,5,5

Bo-Bo-Bo-BOOOOOM! Monster PB.

First set was difficult. Felt a burning sensation in the bowel area on the very first 215 rep and got worried but it went away thankfully. I'll put it down to my belt being in the wrong place compounded by the pressure mid-lift. Things got better as the sets went on.

The very last set felt like a feather and form was absolutely perfect. The main problem is getting enough oxygen with that weight on your back. The bar set up and back tightness kinda goes on the last rep as you're gasping for air.

I think the fact I took about 20mins on average in between the 215 sets helped a great deal. I was off work today so had more time and was willing to wait until fully recovered between sets.

To go from a max effort 190 5x5 on 1st July to a 215 5x5 2.5 months later is astounding progress if I do say so myself.

There's no let up with this program....Five big workouts left.

Comment

Serious lifting, wp

Comment

Thursday 20th September

Smolov Week 12 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 8

Low Bar Squat
                                                        Bar x 5
                                                        60 x 5
                                                        80 x 4
                                                        100 x 3
                                                        120 x 3
                                                        <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                        142.5 x 3
                                                        167.5 x 3
                                                        190 x 3
                                                        210 x 1
                                                        225 x 3,3

In a lot of pain right now. Really starting to feel the effects of this program.

The tendons in my elbows were on fire during the warmups. In turn, this made it really difficult to get set up correctly under the bar as I had about 30-40% strength/feeling in my hands. Definitely the worst ever. On the verge of tears after 210 x 1. I stuck in a 210 x 1 even though the program said 190 to 225 as I believe a 35kg jump is suicide.

Almost failed the final rep of 225 on the first set. Lost the drive up and the bar started to go back down towards the floor but I've been through way too much on this program to fail this far in - managed to drive it up. Still don't know how. Pure stubborness probably. I'm a big believer in not taking no for an answer when it comes to reps. You could always do one more if your life depended on it.

Second set had a woeful setup due to restricted feeling in my arms as mentioned above but the reps were easier.

Used Tiger Balm for the first time ever when I got home. Absolutely covered myself in it. Body's on fire but feels much better.

4 workouts to go.

Comment

Sunday 23rd September

Smolov Week 12 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 9

Low Bar Squat
                                                          Bar x 5
                                                          60 x 5
                                                          80 x 4
                                                          100 x 3
                                                          120 x 2
                                                          <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                          140 x 1
                                                          155 x 3
                                                          177.5 x 3
                                                          207.5 x 3
                                                          225 x 3,3,3,3

Smashed it. Perfect form for 11 of the 12 reps - leaned forward on one of the reps but managed to correct it.

Confidence is building. I know I have plenty more to give.

No limits. Smolov.

Note to self: Need moaar Tiger Balm.

Comment

Tuesday 25th September

Smolov Week 13 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 10

Low Bar Squat
                                                            Bar x 5
                                                            60 x 5
                                                            80 x 4
                                                            100 x 3
                                                            120 x 2
                                                            <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                            140 x 1
                                                            155 x 3
                                                            177.5 x 3
                                                            192.5 x 3
                                                            215 x 5,5,5,5,5
                                                            ------------------------------------------------------------------

Very difficult. Running on empty atm.

I fecked up the warm-up sets as I couldn't remember what the spreadsheet advised. Close enough anyway.

Immense pressure in my head from set 3 onwards and elbows falling off as usual. I had to coax myself under the bar for set 5. First time I didn't want to do a set on the whole program.

So hard to get properly set up with limited grip strength. Reps were never in doubt though.

Closing in on the finish line....

Comment

Come on, keep er lit. Serious work dude!!!!

Comment

Thursday 27th September

Smolov Week 13 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 11

Low Bar Squat
                                                                Bar x 5
                                                                60 x 5
                                                                80 x 4
                                                                100 x 3
                                                                120 x 2
                                                                <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                                140 x 1
                                                                155 x 3
                                                                177.5 x 3
                                                                192.5 x 3
                                                                207.5 x 1
                                                                225 x 3,3,3,3

Job done.

Comment

Sunday 30th September

Smolov Week 13 - Intense Mesocycle - Workout 12

Low Bar Squat

Bar x 5
                                                                  60 x 5
                                                                  90 x 4
                                                                  120 x 3
                                                                  140 x 1
                                                                  <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                                  155 x 3
                                                                  177.5 x 3
                                                                  197.5 x 3
                                                                  215 x 4
                                                                  225 x 4,4,4

There we go Never in any danger of missing a rep. Way too focused for that to happen. Actually felt a bit of pressure on the last set as I badly wanted to finish Smolov with a perfect record. Thanks go out to Ian Poulter for the motivation today

The end of a long 13 weeks. Biggest achievement of my lifting life to date.

It definitely ranks top 5 in overall life too. To be able to do that, work somewhere between 45-55hr weeks and do some study for exam in Nov (only a small bit though tbh! - only around 20hrs done so far) has taken a great deal out of me. For the last 3 weeks I've fallen asleep on Friday the minute I've gotten home from work and woken up Saturday morning. Feel like I've missed 3 days haha.

Words can't explain how awesome the program is. It makes you dig deeper than you thought possible both physically & mentally. Rep after rep, set after set, from one workout to the next, week after week.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.... In fact, I'll definitely run Smolov again next year. Probably after CFA Lv3 in June.

Right, so I've to taper on Tuesday - 202.5 for 4x4 and then my max attempt next Sunday. This is gonna be fun.

Time for some celebratory cheesecake and then a pizza & 2 sides later.

Victory tastes good
                                                                  Last edited by Lurker23; 30-09-12, 15:53.

Comment

Tuesday 2nd October

Post Smolov Taper Workout

Low Bar Squat
                                                                    Bar x 5
                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                    90 x 4
                                                                    120 x 3
                                                                    140 x 1
                                                                    <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                                    160 x 1
                                                                    177.5 x 4
                                                                    202.5 x 4,4,4,4

Quite difficult. Still worn out from Sunday.

Glad to get that one out of the way. Time to rest up for Sunday Funday.

Comment

Tuesday 7th October

Post Smolov Max Test

Low Bar Squat
                                                                      Bar x 5
                                                                      60 x 5
                                                                      90 x 4
                                                                      120 x 3
                                                                      150 x 2
                                                                      <belt & wrist wraps on>
                                                                      170 x 1
                                                                      190 x 1
                                                                      210 x 1
                                                                      230 x 1
                                                                      250 x 1
                                                                      260 x 1 *PB*

Well there you have it. 10kg pb and a 12 plate squat. 6 plates look good on each side of the bar

The squat itself was extremely difficult. There's some amount of pressure trying to throw you forward and it took away from my drive on the way up. All I know is, I wasn't walking away from that rack without that PB. Some fucking grind.

I'll probably attempt a 20 repper within the next 2 weeks for shits & giggles. Something like 160 x 20.

So Smolov is over and I ended up with a 30kg PB. Hard work pays off and there are no limits. Self-belief is what's important.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Vid to follow.

Comment

That's what a max attempt sounds like.

Comment

savage stuff really well done

Comment

Awesome.Well done.

My knee is currently fucked but this makes me wanna get back to squatting pronto.

Comment

that is a disgustingly heavy weight. Am happy to be struggling with less than half of it on an ongoing basis.

You have an illness.

Comment

Savage stuff.
                                                                                Coan Phillipi done.
                                                                                smoloc done.

There's 12 weeks left in the year.
                                                                                Time for a bench cycle imo

Comment

I feel more manly just watching that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                    Savage stuff.
                                                                                    Coan Phillipi done.
                                                                                    smoloc done.

There's 12 weeks left in the year.
                                                                                    Time for a bench cycle imo
                                                                                    Ha. Forgot all about Coan Phillipi.

I'm going to take it easy for the next few weeks due to study requirements. One or two sessions a week max. Will test my deadlift soon as Smolov has been proven to add to your deadlift. I want to see if I get any carryover.

Not going to work out until the weekend as it turns out I burst a blood vessel in my eye due to that squat. Didn't even notice until it was pointed out to me in work Monday morning

You're right though. Bench is next on the hitlist.

Comment

Wednesday 17th October

Sumo Deadlift
                                                                                      70 x 5
                                                                                      90 x 5
                                                                                      110 x 4
                                                                                      130 x 3
                                                                                      150 x 2
                                                                                      <belt on>
                                                                                      170 x 1
                                                                                      190 x 1
                                                                                      205 x 1
                                                                                      215 x 1

Just a bit of a feeler session last night. I used a bar that's an inch thicker than normal. Not planned but that's all that was available. Really wish I hadn't as I ripped a callous straight off my right hand on the 215 rep. Annoyed as it took a long time to build up the resistance in my callouses. Obviously my hands are a lot softer since the last time I deadlifted.

The rep itself was quite difficult but to be 10kg off my max using a fatter bar after not deadlifting for 4 months or so is encouraging. Won't be deadlifting for a while again until that heals unfortunately.

Comment

Saturday 3rd November

Warm up: not much

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                        80 x 4
                                                                                        90 x 2
                                                                                        100 x 5,5,4
                                                                                        80 x 6
                                                                                        60 x 8

Incline Dumbell Press
                                                                                        18 x 8
                                                                                        24 x 3 <bleh>
                                                                                        20 x 8,8,7

First time benching properly in what must be 5 months or so. Chest didn't like it. Sloppy and very much a struggle as to be expected.

The plan is to do a bit of training over the next 2 weeks until i do my exam and then go on a cut until Christmas. I'll start next year with a bench program to try and reach a respectable number.

Comment

Sunday 4th November

Sumo Deadlift
                                                                                          70 x 5
                                                                                          90 x 4
                                                                                          110 x 3
                                                                                          130 x 3
                                                                                          150 x 3
                                                                                          <belt on>
                                                                                          170 x 3
                                                                                          190 x 3

Conventional Deadlift
                                                                                          70 x 5,5
                                                                                          90 x 4
                                                                                          110 x 3
                                                                                          130 x 3
                                                                                          150 x 3
                                                                                          <belt on>
                                                                                          170 x 3

Neutral Grip Chins
                                                                                          BW x 5,5,4

Wide Grip T-Bar Row
                                                                                          30 x 8
                                                                                          60 x 8
                                                                                          70 x 6
                                                                                          60 x 8

Face Pulls
                                                                                          27 x 10
                                                                                          34 x 10,10

Some other physio stuff

Just working on technique. Still much prefer sumo due to my alligator arms. My lower back was getting tired so left it at that on the deads.

Everything feels very alien after just doing legs for so long.

Comment

Wednesday 7th November

Box Squat
                                                                                            Bar x 5,5
                                                                                            40 x 3
                                                                                            60 x 3
                                                                                            80 x 3
                                                                                            100 x 3
                                                                                            120 x 2,2,2,2
                                                                                            140 x 2,2

Barbell Shoulder Press
                                                                                            Bar x 5,5
                                                                                            40 x 3
                                                                                            50 x 3
                                                                                            60 x 5

Seated Dumbell Press
                                                                                            20 x 8,8,8

Trap Bar Shrugs
                                                                                            100 x 8
                                                                                            140 x 8,8,8

+ some rotator cuff stuff

I'll be box squatting for the rest of the year. I'm using a bench that's just slightly above parallel. I want to squat to the stage where I'm still in control of the movement at the bottom rather than just dropping to the bench over the last inch or two. I'll work on getting the technique down first and then I'll use a shorter bench.

My chest is still sore from Saturday. Ridiculous carry on altogether. I still managed to fit in my yearly shoulder routine. I don't think I've had a regular shoulder workout for quite a few years now. That's got to change.

Comment

Saturday 10th November

Warm up: small bit

Barbell Bench Press

Bar x 5,5
                                                                                              60 x 5
                                                                                              80 x 3
                                                                                              90 x 2
                                                                                              100 x 5
                                                                                              95 x 4
                                                                                              90 x 5
                                                                                              85 x 5
                                                                                              80 x 5,4 <all paused>

Incline Dumbell Press

15 x 8
                                                                                              20 x 8
                                                                                              26 x 7,5

+ some machine flyes as well

It's going take some time to get used to benching again. My chest is still sore from last Saturday's workout. Struggled with 100 x 5 and then tried to get some volume/practice in for the rest of the session.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                                                                I still managed to fit in my yearly shoulder routine. I don't think I've had a regular shoulder workout for quite a few years now. That's got to change.
                                                                                                Our race to a bodyweight overhead press is becoming quite the ultra-marathon

Comment

Monday 19th November
                                                                                                  ---------------------------------------------

Low Carb Diet Week 1 Weigh-In
                                                                                                  ==========================
                                                                                                  Weight: 101kg
                                                                                                  Waist: 39 inches

Yeah so better start a cut. Reached a bodyweight high of just over 102kg/16 stone after finishing smolov.

I'm not sure how many days I'll low carb it before a carb up day. I've two christmas parties within a week of each other soon so that'll be difficult to plan around. I'll finish the cut on christmas day for sure though.

Comment

Monday 19th November

Fat Bar Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                                    Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                    40 x 5
                                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                                    80 x 3
                                                                                                    90 x 8,8,7

Close Grip Fat Bar Bench Press
                                                                                                    60 x 8,7,6

Incline Dumbell Press
                                                                                                    24 x 8,7,7

Rope Pulldown
                                                                                                    20 x 10,10,10

Machine Flyes
                                                                                                    65 x 8
                                                                                                    60 x 8
                                                                                                    55 x 8
                                                                                                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no bench anymore. That makes me sad.

Comment

Tuesday 20th November

Warm up: loads

Sumo Deadlift
                                                                                                      70 x 5
                                                                                                      90 x 4
                                                                                                      110 x 3
                                                                                                      120 x 3
                                                                                                      150 x 8,7

Barbell Curl
                                                                                                      Oly Bar x 8
                                                                                                      Oly Bar + 10kg x 8
                                                                                                      Oly Bar + 15kg x 8,8

T-Bar Row
                                                                                                      50 x 8
                                                                                                      60 x 8
                                                                                                      70 x 8
                                                                                                      80 x 8,8

Dumbell Preacher Curls (Very slow tempo)
                                                                                                      10 x 8,7,6

Face pulls
                                                                                                      27 x 12,12,12

+ some physio stuff
                                                                                                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pumptastic. Turns out I have arms. Yawn.

Comment

Saturday 24th November

Box Squat
                                                                                                        Bar x 5
                                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                                        80 x 4
                                                                                                        100 x 3
                                                                                                        120 x 3
                                                                                                        140 x 3,3,3,3

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press
                                                                                                        Bar x 5
                                                                                                        40 x 5
                                                                                                        50 x 5
                                                                                                        60 x 5,3
                                                                                                        50 x 6,5

Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press
                                                                                                        20 x 6,7,6

Trap Bar Shrugs
                                                                                                        100 x 8
                                                                                                        120 x 8,8,8

Need to work on my breathing on the box squats. Everything else felt good.

Comment

Monday 26th November

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                                          Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                          40 x 5
                                                                                                          60 x 5
                                                                                                          80 x 3
                                                                                                          90 x 6,5,4

Close Grip Fat Bar Bench Press
                                                                                                          60 x 8
                                                                                                          65 x 7,7

Incline Dumbell Press
                                                                                                          24 x 8,7,6

Machine Flyes
                                                                                                          65 x 8
                                                                                                          60 x 8
                                                                                                          55 x 8

Getting weaker by the day....

Comment

Tuesday 27th November

Warm up: loads

Sumo Deadlift
                                                                                                            70 x 5
                                                                                                            90 x 4
                                                                                                            110 x 3
                                                                                                            130 x 3
                                                                                                            150 x 3
                                                                                                            170 x 3,3
                                                                                                            150 x 5

Barbell Curl
                                                                                                            Oly Bar x 8
                                                                                                            Oly Bar + 10kg x 8
                                                                                                            Oly Bar + 15kg x 8
                                                                                                            Oly Bar + 17.5kg x 8

Wide Grip T-Bar Row
                                                                                                            60 x 8
                                                                                                            75 x 8
                                                                                                            70 x 8,8

Dumbell Preacher Curls (Very slow tempo)
                                                                                                            12 x 6
                                                                                                            10 x 8,8,

Face pulls
                                                                                                            27 x 12,12,12

Carb up tomorrow.

Comment

Low Carb Diet End of Cycle 1
                                                                                                              Waist: 38.1 inches (-0.9)

Decent first 9 days. Very clean cut. My weighing scales needs batteries so not sure about my weight but it was 96.5kg in the gym yesterday evening.

Carb up was immense today. Ate soooooo much. Got up an hour earlier so I could get my bloat on.

Comment

Thursday 29th November

Warm up: less than usual

Box Squat
                                                                                                                Bar x 5
                                                                                                                60 x 5
                                                                                                                80 x 4
                                                                                                                100 x 3
                                                                                                                120 x 3
                                                                                                                <belt on>
                                                                                                                140 x 3
                                                                                                                160 x 2
                                                                                                                170 x 2

Bar x 5
                                                                                                                40 x 5
                                                                                                                50 x 3
                                                                                                                <belt on>
                                                                                                                60 x 5,5,5,5

Much better today after a good feed.

Pushed the box squats harder today. Still more left in the tank.

Comment

Saturday 1st December

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                                                  Bar x 5
                                                                                                                  40 x 5
                                                                                                                  60 x 4
                                                                                                                  80 x 3
                                                                                                                  90 x 2
                                                                                                                  100 x 4,3,3
                                                                                                                  80 x 7 <all paused>

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                                                  70 x 8,8,7

Incline Dumbell Press
                                                                                                                  20 x 8
                                                                                                                  26 x 8
                                                                                                                  32 x 8, 5
                                                                                                                  26 x 8

Dumbell Lat raise

10 x 8,8,8

Tricep Pushdown Machine
                                                                                                                  170 x 8
                                                                                                                  190 x 8
                                                                                                                  210 x 9

Trap Bar Shrugs
                                                                                                                  100 x 8
                                                                                                                  120 x 8
                                                                                                                  130 x 8,8

Must still have some carbs in the system. Felt strong.

Comment

Monday 3rd December

Sumo Deadlift
                                                                                                                    70 x 5
                                                                                                                    90 x 4
                                                                                                                    110 x 3
                                                                                                                    130 x 3
                                                                                                                    150 x 2
                                                                                                                    <belt on>
                                                                                                                    170 x 1
                                                                                                                    190 x 4

EZ Preacher Curl
                                                                                                                    Bar + 10kg x 8
                                                                                                                    Bar + 20kg x 8,6
                                                                                                                    Bar + 15kg x 8

Narrow Grip T-Bar Row
                                                                                                                    60 x 8
                                                                                                                    70 x 8,8,8

Dumbell Hammer Curls
                                                                                                                    12 x 8,8,8

Face pulls
                                                                                                                    27 x 12,12,12

I still have some strength left. Pushed it hard on the sumos because I'm bored faffing around.

Comment

Tuesday 4th December

Box Squat
                                                                                                                      60 x 5
                                                                                                                      80 x 4
                                                                                                                      100 x 3
                                                                                                                      120 x 3
                                                                                                                      <belt on>
                                                                                                                      140 x 3
                                                                                                                      160 x 3,3,3

Bar x 5
                                                                                                                      40 x 5
                                                                                                                      50 x 3
                                                                                                                      <belt on>
                                                                                                                      62.5 x 5,5,5

Dumbell Lateral Raise
                                                                                                                      10 x 10,10,10

Box squats getting more solid. A bit more there too.

Comment

Low Carb Diet End of Cycle 2
                                                                                                                        ================================
                                                                                                                        Waist: 36.9 inches (-1.1 on this cycle -2.1 overall )
                                                                                                                        ================================

Bring on those beautiful carbs

Comment

Saturday 8th December

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                                                          60 x 5,5
                                                                                                                          80 x 3
                                                                                                                          90 x 2
                                                                                                                          100 x 5,4,3
                                                                                                                          80 x 8 <all paused>

Close Grip Bench Press
                                                                                                                          80 x 6,8,7

Incline Dumbell Press

22 x 8
                                                                                                                          26 x 8
                                                                                                                          30 x 8
                                                                                                                          34 x 5
                                                                                                                          30 x 6

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X