Too nitty? Bad check on turn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too nitty? Bad check on turn?

Villain is active but is one of only a few that can damage me with 30 left.

Bigger on the flop man for me. There is so much to get value from. I certainly bet the turn and the river. It's probably trying to get stacks in over the 3 streets tbh. Turn is a clear bet for me though. He has so many draw, pair plus draws and tons to get value from. I could see an argument for checking back the river for sure but not the turn ever.

I'm sizing my 3 streets as follows:
    Flop: 45k
    Turn: 82k
    River: Shove

Which sets us up nicely to shove the river. There's not a whole lot of 9x hands in his range after he opens UTG and flats our 3-bet. There's not a whole lot of flushes he can have either. We block the K high ones and what Ax flushes can he have outside AJhh which in all fairness probably just raises/gets it in on the flop
    Last edited by peterswellman; 26-03-14, 23:17.

Comment

I dont mind a check on the flop, can get two streets alot then. Id hate to get check raised here. First response from Pswellman about bet bet shove is too thin at low stakes imo.

Comment

Here's my intake Matt, I def make it more pre as said above there is so much to get value from, I probably make it about 34ish. On the flop you have a very strong hand, over pair with a straight draw and back door FD, I am making it about 37k on the flop and also I am betting the turn around 62k, you have a strong hand and I wish we didn't know the villains hand because I would have said we want him to call off with his AQ/AJ/A10/KQ/KJ/K10, and any draws villain might be on.

On the river would be villain dependant for me, Its not the greatest river but I probably do value bet it.

Tbh you lost out on a lot of value with such a strong hand.
        Last edited by TheImprover; 27-03-14, 00:12.

Comment

Yeh, felt a bit sick after. Thought I butchered it tbh.

Ho hum. Both me and villain are on ft.

Just done a 3 way deal, villain included.
          Last edited by Lplate; 27-03-14, 00:56.

Comment

In play;

villain had been active but had shown hands at showdown

when he called pre, I had him on a narrow enough range

when he called flop, as Mark says above, I puke if chk raised so checked turn

river just looks scary but if I gave it more thought shouldn't improve him very often so when he checks I should be value betting all day

Comment

While I think we can definitely bet for kinda thin value on the turn and not betting it was a mistake, I have to disagree with value betting the river.

The general line people seem to be arguing is bet flop, turn and river. Given that he calls the flop and turn with a lot of pair + straight draw, on the river his range is mostly made up of one pair hands that didn't improve(AQ,KQ,KJ,AJ etc). I think the only hand that has any chance of paying us off is AQ and unless he's an absolute spewmonkey I find it impossible to call given the super strong line we've taken.

On the rare occasions(while i understand it's quite a smaller part of his range) he will have hands like AhJh, J10, Q10, QJ and even Q9it is a micro MTT on stars) which we can all discount a bit given he didn't raise flop, but it's still very possible he could flat the flop and turn bet with these hands. I don't think we're folding out these two pair hands with a river bet a lot(and obv never the AJh and Q9) of the time and so for me a value bet on river makes no sense at all.

For the guys advocating a river value bet what are we getting value from given that he's called flop and turn with? Think people are just being too results-orientated given that he showed up with AQ on the river.

I would bet maybe slightly bigger on such a wet flop like these guys are suggesting, and definitely value bet turn, but once that that river hits, can't see any other option but checking behind, we've showdown value with literally no worse hands calling a bet from us.

Comment

I think you played it absolutely fine, it just looks bad in hindsight because the villain had the top of his range that you beat, and the river is a bad card to value bet. When that flop came up I would be intending to either bet the flop or the turn, never both (except in unusual circumstances).

Comment

Working...
                X