Was this correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was this correct?

Hi guys, before you reply, I'm not looking for the usual "you got it in with the best hand, of course you did the right thing" response.

Playing a local tournment last Tuesday. I'm in the BB with QQ. Blinds are 200/400 and have a stack of about 8K. UTG raises to 1500 and all fold around to me. It should be noted that UTG is a loose highly aggressive player that I know pretty well. He's as likely to raise this amount with 77 as he his with QK, AK. He plays about 13K.

I re-raise to 4200, and his instantly pushes all in. I call straight away and as expected he turns over JJ. Flop is J82. Turn K and river Ace.

Now because the game still pretty young my questions are more about timing.

1. Should I maybe have just flat called? The reason I ask this is beacuse if I did I would still have given myself a chance to get away from the hand considering all cards dealt.

2. Also is it ever too early to push for all your chips? In my heart I know the answer is no but I have been getting hit badly recently, getting my chips in against far weaker hands and getting raped on flops and rivers. Because of this I'm starting to think maybe I should be calling more and giving myself at least some chance of escaping.

Unfortunately the averages just dont seem to be adding up recently and I'm getting a little dis-heartened over the whole thing. I'm due to play in that amatuer game in killarney next weekend with at least 500 players and although I would hope to do well this recent run of bad luck is starting to affect my decisions and I find myself now afraid that I'm not maximising my premium hands.

All critisim is welcome and will be taken on board but keep it constructive please.

Tilt.
    Last edited by Tilt Gone; 31-01-10, 00:02.

You only have 20BBs to start the hand. At that stack depth, you have to be delighted to get your money in much, much worse than the above situation. At the amateur open you will be playing a tournament that produces a generous average stack to blind ratio in the early going. In that type of context, the range of situations that you would be happy to stack off in should be much narrower. But even in such a tournament, after a couple of hours that range begins to widen; and should only begin to contract significantly again as you approach the pay bubble.

As to your more general issues, once you begin to deviate from correct strategy due to fear, you begin to approach an intersection between running bad and playing bad. Dig up, not down!

Good luck.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I have no advice for you except to re-read your own post. Hopefully these hugs will help you feel better . Enjoy them before the facepalms start coming

Last edited by BobSloane; 30-01-10, 20:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilt Gone View Post
        Hi guys, before you reply, I'm not looking for the usual "you got it in with the best hand, of course you did the right thing" response.

Playing a local tournment last Tuesday. I'm in the BB with QQ. Blinds are 200/400 and have a stack of about 8K. UTG raises to 1500 and all fold around to me. It should be noted that UTG is a loose highly aggressive player that I know pretty well. He's as likely to raise this amount with 77 as he his with QK, AK. He plays about 13K.

I re-raise to 4200, and his instantly pushes all in. I call straight away and as expected he turns over JJ. Flop is J82. Turn K and river Ace.

Now because the game still pretty young my questions are more about timing.

1. Should I maybe have just flat called? The reason I ask this is beacuse if I did I would still have given myself a chance to get away from the hand considering all cards dealt.

2. Also is it ever too early to push for all your chips? In my heart I know the answer is no but I have being getting hit badly recently, getting my chips in against far weaker hands and getting raped on flops and rivers. Because of this I'm starting to think maybe I should be calling more and giving myself at least some chance of escaping.

Unfortunately the averages just dont seem tp be adding up recently and I'm getting a little dis-heartened over the whole thing. I'm due to play in that amatuer game in killarney next weekend with at least 500 players and although I would hope to do well this recent run of bad luck is starting to affect my decisions and I find myself now afraid that I'm not maximising my premium hands.

All critisim is welcome and will be taken on board but keep it constructive please.

Tilt.
        its not exactly what you wanted to hear but you did get it in with the best of it
        you got a read on the guy and he turned up pretty much what you expected him to turn up you were 80% he was 20%

cooler

as for the rest off the times it happens? it probably dosn't happen as much as you think, its just more likely that the times it does happen is at a crucial stage of the game and has a dettremental effect on your stack and tournie these "bad beats" tend to stick in our minds more often and cause us to go on tilt.

the fact of the matter is that when we get dealt QQ KK or AA and we win a big pot with them we tend to forget about it a lot faster because we say to our selves that the best hand won and we were an 80% favourite anyhow so we don't tend to make as big a deal of this win in our minds as we do the "bad beat".

these premiun hands will not win all the time and it is just something that you have to get used to. not learning to accept this will have a negative effect on your game.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Thanks lads, so far pretty much expected responses like these. In regards to the tournie next week, starting stack is 15000 with blinds going up every 30 mins so i see what your saying Llyod about having a lot of play.

I was hoping to be running a lot better coming up to this tournie but I suppose that's the thing about luck. It can always change.

I'll let you all know how i get on and post a few hands that I may need to get advice on after.

Tilt
          Last edited by Tilt Gone; 31-01-10, 00:05. Reason: spelling

Comment

Just a word of caution, when you raise to 4.2k with an 8k stack a good player will pick up on the fact you have a big hand. This is where you should merge your ranges and just ship it all in.

Comment

Working...
            X